Mother of German killed by a Thai driver in Phuket begs for justice

webfact

''His Thai wife stayed in Phuket hospital for two days prior to being released and today can live a normal life.

She continues to run the business the couple ran together, the Café Elephant in Karon, however she wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life.''

Wow... understandable on some levels but you'd think she wants to see justice done for her husband.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fleeing or trying to flee the scene of the accident automatically render you guilty according Thai law, in addition to any other law violations.

Are you sure about that ? As far as I know Thai law allows leaving the scene of an accident so long as the driver reports to a police station within 24 hours ....

It's about time the INSURANCE ASPECT Was looked into.Far too many Thais have informed me overs the Years that drivers with top insurance flee if possible because the Police keep a clear cut accident into Bun Fight to get extra cash of the Insurance for passengers on Mocy who pillion at their own risk.Im sure some of you have been stunned at sometime at their weird view of a simple fault..

Justice is a distant bell, rarely heard in Thailand!

lets see what does happen after the trail, as for the wife, maybe someone got to her, (money) the German mother will never get that coward to confess as it is the thai custom and has been for the forty five years that I have known thai's to run away from any accident! it is in their genes! same as ganging up on a thai or falang. I have never seen a one on one fight between a thai and a falang! NEVER!

I (as a Farang) had fights with Thais. We became best friends ever after.

Justice is a distant bell, rarely heard in Thailand!

lets see what does happen after the trail, as for the wife, maybe someone got to her, (money) the German mother will never get that coward to confess as it is the thai custom and has been for the forty five years that I have known thai's to run away from any accident! it is in their genes! same as ganging up on a thai or falang. I have never seen a one on one fight between a thai and a falang! NEVER!

I (as a Farang) had fights with Thais. We became best friends ever after.

Hard to be best friends when one usually ends up dead.

this does not sound like a road accident.

it needs to be investigated why the driver drove over the victim 3 times.

Knowing you killed someone can be a very stressful experience. People panic under a lot of stress.

Knowing you killed someone can be a very stressful experience. People panic under a lot of stress.

How would he know, the German was under his car, and he only died because the Thai driver ran over him three times, so c'mon, you'll have to do better than that.

''His Thai wife stayed in Phuket hospital for two days prior to being released and today can live a normal life.

She continues to run the business the couple ran together, the Café Elephant in Karon, however she wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life.''

Wow... understandable on some levels but you'd think she wants to see justice done for her husband.

This is all terrible, but we are in Thailand, lets not judge his lady badly, she lives in Phuket, pretty lawless at best, and if she said anything the local mafia would probably, do her no good to say the least

We do not know what she wants, she has not told us, but her approach is sensible and realistic

I wish her and the family all well, so sad

May the perpetrator rot in hell, unfortunately probably not, remember Truck drivers in Thailand are notorious if they knock a motorcylist down they will often reverse the truck and run over the victim, it is cheaper to kill than pay damages for the rest of someones life

These Thais have a license to kill rob and extort. Welcome to the land of lies. The justice system is a noodle station. Who ever talks the most shit and has some money to pay wins.

Regime and there big words Framework Projects and all the rest of the painted picture a diversion. The reform will never happen. This Thai should get life in jail. With no chance of parol. Trash like this roams freely and laughs while it crawls along.

The sentence, "She continues to run the business the couple ran together, the Café Elephant in Karon, however she wishes to have no more to do with the case and move on with her life." blew my lid off. I have lost all hope in humankind and fear that nothing will happen to the killer, let alone "justice being served", what actually is an Oxymoron here in Thailand... :( Feel very sorry for the mother, reading such words from the "beloved wife" of her killed son must be devastating... :(

If it's True that the Driver Ran over the victim 3 times,,,Then the driver is

a Murderer,,,and it's Not an accident Than the Maggot has to get a Life sentence

in Jail.... But then this is Thailand,They do it the Thai way,,Not the right way,,

My condolences to the family of the young man. No justification for folks to run from the scene of an accident.

Sadly the use of motorbikes by many is really the major catastrophe to be found in Thailand. Why tourists continue to take their lives in their hands riding there is beyond me. Motorbikes are "death machines."

This is the most CLOWNESK and RIDICULOUS statement i've ever seen.... facepalm.gif

Shame on you pal !!!!!!

"...drove over Mr Walter, who was stuck under the car, three times killing him in the process."

I don't mean to be flippant with this terrible tragedy, but how on earth can you kill someone three times?

My condolences to the family of the young man. No justification for folks to run from the scene of an accident.

Sadly the use of motorbikes by many is really the major catastrophe to be found in Thailand. Why tourists continue to take their lives in their hands riding there is beyond me. Motorbikes are "death machines."

The use of any vehicle here is dangerous, just look at recent news.

He was not a tourist, he lived here and was a partner in a business here.

Motorbikes are not death machines, what an uneducated and stupid statement to make.

In this case it's obvious the car caused it but if you were to go to any hospital in Thailand where they devote entire wards for those injured on a motor bike your opinion about motor bikes would change.

Read the article more careful!! He wanted to flee the scene of the accident. Most probably on booze, drugs or a combination of both. If he can get to a different province there is less chance that the police will follow him. My understanding is that there is little co-operation or co-ordination between provincial/district police forces. They work independently. This may explain why bus drivers flee the scenes of the accidents. No driver's license, flee to a different province, lay low and let it blow over. Someone should take the German mother aside and explain her how Thai culture and society works. Explain where the falang fits in the pecking order of Thai society and what she can expect in her request for justice (there are plenty of examples out there).

Complete rubbish- there have been numerous recent cases in the news where people have been arrested in adjoining provinces and returned to Phuket.

Read the article more careful!! He wanted to flee the scene of the accident. Most probably on booze, drugs or a combination of both. If he can get to a different province there is less chance that the police will follow him. My understanding is that there is little co-operation or co-ordination between provincial/district police forces. They work independently. This may explain why bus drivers flee the scenes of the accidents. No driver's license, flee to a different province, lay low and let it blow over. Someone should take the German mother aside and explain her how Thai culture and society works. Explain where the falang fits in the pecking order of Thai society and what she can expect in her request for justice (there are plenty of examples out there).

Do you know whether the driver new the Thai lady or not? I think the police should want to know. It may well have taken him three times running over the poor man to escape, but it also could have been something completely different...

"...drove over Mr Walter, who was stuck under the car, three times killing him in the process."

I don't mean to be flippant with this terrible tragedy, but how on earth can you kill someone three times?

drove over him three times, killing him in the process. Does the lack of a comma require a flippant remark?

I dont get the negativity towards the wife. Many Thais and also farang would follow the line of thought "nothing you do will bring him back"

so whats the point? She knows her own countries justice system

Had she had been more active in the legal proceedings all the TV parade would be branding her a heartless wife trying to gain compensation from farangs death.

Do you know whether the driver new the Thai lady or not? I think the police should want to know. It may well have taken him three times running over the poor man to escape, but it also could have been something completely different...

God, spare me another conspiracy theory.

This is not the first time I've heard of drivers running the victim over again to kill them. One of my employees father was killed the same way. Never any justice though, the driver got away with it. TIT

"Motorbikes are "death machines".

No they are not, it is the way they are handled.

Very sad... I hope that the mother and family will find a way to carry on. The only thing I can say to comfort them is that he was probably very happy up until this terrible event. Justice in Thailand, maybe but I would not count on it. If this guy really ran over him he should be put away forever, period... But this is Thailand and I don't think they really care about what happens to farang or even Thais unless it affects tourism.

Motor bikes can be dangerous in Thailand even for experienced riders. 81% of the traffic deaths are from motorbike accidents. If possible best to always ride in a car.

I think she would like to see justice done so then she could get on with her life , BUT just maybe she realises that justice will never get done ( ask the guy's mother in Germany ) or just maybe she has been told by someone related to the Civic driver to drop it. Very sad all round though.

Archived