Chuwit Kicks Off Campaign For Governor

george

Chuwit kicks off campaign for governor

Also plans to run in next general election

BANGKOK: -- Massage parlour tycoon Chuwit Kamolvisit yesterday officially announced he is running for Bangkok governor and expects to gain at least 500,000 votes.

Mr Chuwit, leader of a newly-established political party called First Thai Nation, made the announcement after party executives resolved yesterday to field him in the race.

The tycoon-turned-politician said his campaign slogan is: ``Stay down-to-earth, never forget one's own roots, never hype up one's image, and be sincere.''

Mr Chuwit said he has already drawn up his campaign strategy. He also believed he would be lucky in the governor race since the election day, Aug 29, is also his birthday.

He would announce his team of deputies and launch his election campaign in June.

Mr Chuwit, who owns the Davis Group chain of upscale massage parlours, said his campaign would be colourful as many of his ``young and beautiful'' employees would be among his campaign workers.

The tycoon became well known to the public last year following his quarrel with the police force after he claimed he had paid kickbacks to many of its officers to keep his massage parlours out of trouble.

Mr Chuwit yesterday said he would also host a radio talk programme on FM 102 from 11pm to midnight every Saturday and Sunday to discuss problems faced by Bangkok people.

The tycoon said he would hire a private helicopter at 25,000 baht an hour to drop his campaign leaflets in the city.

``Some people may regard me as a clown in the election. But I am not. Don't compare me with Waranchai [Chokchana, a political activist], because I have money and I know the value of money.

``Otherwise I would not have been successful in my business,'' he said.

Many people, especially those who had been victims of intimidation by state officials, were rallying behind him and he would gain at least 500,000 votes, Mr Chuwit said.

He set up the First Thai Nation party because he had long been interested in politics.

About 80% of the money spent on the party's political work came from his own pocket, Mr Chuwit said.

He also planned to run political activities in the three southern border provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat, and look for potential party candidates for the next general election.

A party branch would open soon in Narathiwat.

--The Post 2004-04-23

Chuwit kicks off campaign for governor

Also plans to run in next general election

BANGKOK: -- Massage parlour tycoon Chuwit Kamolvisit yesterday officially announced he is running for Bangkok governor and expects to gain at least 500,000 votes.

The tycoon said he would hire a private helicopter at 25,000 baht an hour to drop his campaign leaflets in the city.

--The Post 2004-04-23

What will be the fines for littering from a helicopter?

• 2 weeks later...

Khun Chuwit better had a good think now that Pol Capt Chalerm (inactive, retired etc) has indicated that he is considering whether he will toss his hat in to the ring.

If he (Chalerm) does throw his hat in "and if the unbelievable happens (that he is successful) God help Thailand.

:o