Living In Bangkok

MsNina

Ms Nina, I completely understand your definition of feminism. Thailand is not a place that you will see this practiced too much though. For the most part, Asia as a whole, is a mans place. I am not telling you this because it is my belief. Just telling you the truth. Asian culture is geared toward men being the top dog and women not being taken seriously. As unfortunate as it may be, thats the way Asia is. Your not going to have any problems here, thats not what i'm saying at all. Just dont expect to find the kind of support for your beliefs as you would in Australia, the US, or Europe. Thai people probably wont understand it.

As far as places to live, the area around BTS Thonglor Skytrain station is pretty nice for an expat. I have a condo on the other side of the river across from Sathorn, the quiet side. A few expats around there but not many. Skytrain will be going to that side soon I heard. Would make it easier. Most of the nightlife in BKK is centered around Sukhumvit, the main street for all tourist related things. As long as your near a Skytrain station, getting to this area is not a problem. Good luck.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the US the "Feminist" movement is really anti man movement. The National Association of Women "NOW" is run by angry man hating lesbians. NOW is so blatently anti man it lacks validity. Women blindly join this dyke association without researching its unbiased policies. No country should have to put up with these useless humans.

Hi Nina/fellows,

My Godness, I arrived yesterday morning in BKk, the first time for 3 weeks round trip in thailand.

I tell you, femenisme doesn't exist here. Women's life as you see om the street is quite different.

At the break you see the office people going around in groups girls with girls and men with men.

Om the streets lots of girls, they all look very young, slim and childlike in groups trying to get the attention of the foreigner men coming along.

At night even more.

I went with a europeanfellow who already lives long time in Bkk and who doesn't look up from all of this. I meet him thru thaivisa :D

For me it's a culture clash. Reading and hearing about it is not the same as seeing it all. He knows lots of people around, and girls as well and they all want to know what's up. They look me right om my eyes and I can't help but liking them right away just for the friendly smile. Who am I to say what they ought to do?

I think I have to be humble and be happy that I have always had a choice about what to do with my body and life, because I wouldn't survive living their life after being brought up the way I was. I am not streetwise enough to fight for my existence. Especially when I look at the foreigner men who go around with or without a young girl having an life experience they couldn't get in the western world. Most of them are not a woman's cup of thee. And them Iam not only refering to phisical looks. :o

It's sad in many ways to look at the way life works here.

Don't judge too fast, Amore.

Only one day here.

What you have seen so far is not representative of the Thai or farang living here.

Just a very, very small part of it,... :o:D

Hi Nina/fellows,

My Godness, I arrived yesterday morning in BKk, the first time for 3 weeks round trip in thailand.

I tell you, femenisme doesn't exist here. Women's life as you see om the street is quite different.

At the break you see the office people going around in groups girls with girls and men with men.

Om the streets lots of girls, they all look very young, slim and childlike in groups trying to get the attention of the foreigner men coming along.

At night even more.

I went with a europeanfellow who already lives long time in Bkk and who doesn't look up from all of this. I meet him thru thaivisa :D

For me it's a culture clash. Reading and hearing about it is not the same as seeing it all. He knows lots of people around, and girls as well and they all want to know what's up. They look me right om my eyes and I can't help but liking them right away just for the friendly smile. Who am I to say what they ought to do?

I think I have to be humble and be happy that I have always had a choice about what to do with my body and life, because I wouldn't survive living their life after being brought up the way I was. I am not streetwise enough to fight for my existence. Especially when I look at the foreigner men who go around with or without a young girl having an life experience they couldn't get in the western world. Most of them are not a woman's cup of thee. And them Iam not only refering to phisical looks. :o

Have you ever been to Amsterdam or Prague? You can even count in Berlin at night. I have, though not for that, i've seen it. Let me tell you, its pretty much the same. But you can't judge an entire culture for what goes on in one district. Take some tours outside Bangkok and see the country, the beaches, etc.

In the US the "Feminist" movement is really anti man movement. The National Association of Women "NOW" is run by angry man hating lesbians. NOW is so blatently anti man it lacks validity. Women blindly join this dyke association without researching its unbiased policies. No country should have to put up with these useless humans.

No problem, this is in America,

and I really do not care about America, I do care however about Asia and especially about Thailand...

I think, this radical feminist discussion is now closed on Thaivisa-Forum, but should any radical feminist show up and post her/his opinion again, then I feel free to post my opinion as well. -

No country should have to put up with these useless humans.
Useless does not mean stupid...They do not like to be a woman, but they know, how to make use out of it.
Drewcifer Posted on Tue 2004-05-04, 07:55:48

There a feminist is a woman with a bull horn who tells you you should be ashamed for having external genetalia.

It is the fault of the man, because he considers her so much, that he remains silent.

You have to consider them as outsiders, and when they come in, then you have fight them as an enemy - and this is, what they are.

I know, some people do not like my opinion. But at least I do not remain silent.

We do not need radical feminists here in Thailand!

Johann

Anyone familiar with a gated community in Nakorn Phatom called Sari Village?

We looked at some places last year. Very nice houses with Euro style kitchens. Hardwood floors throught out 3 bed 2 bath was about 3.5 million bhat.

Nice pool and club house with huge manicured grounds.

The lots were a little small for my taste tother wise it looks like a nice project.

I'm hoping someone else has info on it.

It is still under consrtuction. My wife says it is on Sai See.

Anyone familiar with a gated community in Nakorn Phatom called Sari Village?

We looked at some places last year. Very nice houses with Euro style kitchens. Hardwood floors throught out 3 bed 2 bath was about 3.5 million bhat.

Nice pool and club house with huge manicured grounds.

The lots were a little small for my taste tother wise it looks like a nice project.

I'm hoping someone else has info on it.

It is still under consrtuction. My wife says it is on Sai See.

Pepe, nice try to bring the threat back to the original question, 'living in Bangkok'..

but than, what can I do with a radical feminist on a hardwood floor, even in Nakorn Phatom?

'but than, what can I do with a radical feminist on a hardwood floor, even in Nakorn Phatom?'

Try listening. :D

'We do not need radical feminists here in Thailand!

Johann'

Didn't you say you live in Japan, married to a Japanese? :D

And what has it got to do with "Living in Bangkok"?

People working in the Silom area might find the other side of the river of interest: easy to commute, affordable apartments, quiet areas in walking distance from local amenities, relaxing riverside restaurants nearby... uhpss, I sound like an estate agent now. :o

'We do not need radical feminists here in Thailand!

Johann'

Didn't you say you live in Japan, married to a Japanese? :o

To answer your questions:

1-

I own a condo in Jomtien, and we are ready for early retirement in Thailand next year. - Yes, my wife is Japanese, it is not a precondition on Thaiforum to have a Thai-wife to post here.

I just came back from Thailand end of April, and will be there again all July and half of August...beside that I am visiting Thailand since 30 years (since 1972) regularly, especially the Southern Muslim provinces.

I am also in contact with some companies of my own country about starting my own Thai registered business for importing/selling organic food/mineral waters and similar healthy products to foreigners living in Pattaya area.

My daughter is married and living in Hawaii also operates together with their family members several similar shops there. We have some knowledge about that.

2-

I am NOT the first person, who was starting to post here in the Bangkok section feminist related issues. Read it through from beginning on!

I was also not the first person, who was starting to post feminist issues on a thread of Thaivisa-Forum about bars/bargirls in Thailand.

3-

It was I however, who opened a -foreign radical feminist thread- and asked all related persons, better to post all feminist related stuff there, instead of spreading it into various not related threads. - I did not expect this subject to continue in the Bangkok section and I was against it to let it continue in the bar/bargirl section.

It seems - foreign radical feminists in Thailand - is an interesting subject, I got over 3000 views and over 200 postings on my own thread within days, and even now, after locking it for various reasons, the discussion is starting again in the Bangkok section, where the first feminist posting started originally.

Your question:

Answer:

You have to ask the women, who were starting to post feminist issues on Thaivisa-Forum in the thread 'Living in Bangkok'.....

Why do you ask me? Why do you not ask them?

Johann

People working in the Silom area might find the other side of the river of interest: easy to commute, affordable apartments, quiet areas in walking distance from local amenities, relaxing riverside restaurants nearby... uhpss, I sound like an estate agent now. :o

Every area in Bangkok has some pro and contra.....

I do not recommend the other side of the river:

Easy to commute:

Depends on the weather, especially when raining, and depends on the time of the day, try to drive your own car to Silom from there........

There is no subway there, and no skytrain, the bridges are a total traffic chaos, the 'fresh' air near the boat pier is dirty and dusty and humid...... the smell is somewhat between diesel-oil and fish.....

Cheaper in Thonburi: yes, this is true, but there is a reason for that.....

I personally prefer the Eastern part of Bangkok....near Seacon Square...Srinakarin, Pattanakarn, or Bangkapi, far away from the river, no smell, no smog.....

East Bangkok offers you quick access to the airport (especially to the new airport in future) and it is a short highway drive down to Pattaya to the sea....(less than 90 minutes)

Excellent shopping malls, plenty of accommodation available of any category, very good hospitals if you need medical care....

Johann

I enjoy living in Thonburi, and I commute by ferry.

Another Thonburi resident? Happy to meet you. My condo is right off of Charenokorn (sp), not far from the Marriot Riverside. Maybe i'll see you at the Sizzler or the local Big C. Cheers

This is not a complaint.....and not the big gun....no intention to complain at all...

Out of what we tried we really found East Bangkok the best place.

Before we used to stay near Hualampong, Rama IV and then in Saphan Khwai, Pradiphat...and finally we found a great place to stay on Pattanakarn, near the Srinakarin crossing....

Since then about 6 years ago, we never changed that place, whenever we have to stay in Bangkok, we stay there....

It is located near the 3 Floraville Condominium Towers, which are deluxe security condominiums for rich business people and foreign diplomats...

Many foreigners living there and prefer that location to any location more inside of Bangkok.

Beside the Floraville, there are plenty of rooms for rent there nearby, of any size, of any rate, like Skyplace, Srinakarin Villa or in our case, the Baan Siri Rama.

Johann

This thread was not meant to be about any kind of feminism. I started it with the intention of getting information about living in Bangkok. I added to my initial post that I am a feminist, because I thought that that would be important information to include for people recommending a areas for me to live in. I think this thread would be much more useful if people discussed living in Bangkok rather than what to do with radical feminists.

MsNina:

Why would you think it important that people know about your feminist attitude when recommending a good place to live?

This would be akin to my saying I like pink Toyotas so where do you think I should live.

I guess my question is...what is the relevance?

I guess my question is...what is the relevance?

Maybe it is a good thing to give abit if info about oneself.

And maybe she didn't want to get posters recommending Patpong and upper Sukhumvit for the proximity to the girlie bars. :D

And my question to a few posters here:

What is the relevance of all the anti-feminist, woman-hating comments in this thread, that go on and on... Can't you let other people be ?

Hmm, before somebody posts another dissertation to justify their views:

THIS QUESTION IS RETHORIC :o, the answer to it is: the postigs are not relevant, and please do let others, feminist or not, discuss the topic.

And btw, no need to insult me and hammer me into the ground now. Thank you. :D

I enjoy living in Thonburi, and I commute by ferry.

Another Thonburi resident? Happy to meet you. My condo is right off of Charenokorn (sp), not far from the Marriot Riverside. Maybe i'll see you at the Sizzler or the local Big C. Cheers

I will move to a different part of town end of the month.

You are more likely to find me at Yok Yor Marina, though I am busy packing things now.

Yok Yor Marina: one of several restaurants by the river, nice ambient, cool breeze and great Thai-food, try the hor mok tale! They do dinner-cruises along the Chayo Praya as well.

And my question to a few posters here:

What is the relevance of all the anti-feminist, woman-hating comments in this thread, that go on and on... Can't you let other people be ?

Stroll,

1-

If you like to discuss this subject with me, then I will move it out to a new thread in the general section, as I did it before....

(Do we need foreign radical feminists in Thailand? - This thread is locked already)

I will make a new thread, away from the -living in Bangkok thread -

Do you want that? YES or NO?

2-

Stroll,

Considering that you are posting only since 1 day, you know a lot about me and about this subject and about some other topics and posters -

Did you post already on this Thaivisa-Forum by using another nickname?

Reading your other postings, they remember me to somebody somehow....

I am not in hiding....you know, who I am... But who are you?

Johann

Stroll:

Thank you for your attempt to tell me why MsNina just keeps insisting on telling the world she is a feminist. Those people that waste time reading her posts are completely aware of her political leanings. I am one of those that keep reading them, much as the moth drawn to the flame. I just don't understand the relevance of repeating it every time she posts, or for that matter even why she felt it necessary to offer up the information the first time. She will likely find her apartment with help from her friends at work and they, conceivably, already know where she stands on the male animal. Why, then, offer it on this forum?

As for my hating women. Au contraire. I love women and even number some of them as my friend. I am a single parent trying to raise my daughter into a young lady and rely on my lady friends to assist when a subject arises that I have no personal knowledge of. Women are necessary and nice to have around. :o

Woof Woof!

I suppose she (MsNina) mentioned on the theory that you wouldn't point her toward some cheap place to live in the middle of a sexpat or sex tourist playground. Pure supposition on my part. Probably a bit of being forward about who you are. Nothing particularly wrong in that.

If I said I'm looking for info about where to look for digs in BKK and I liked being around young people you might respond one thing. If I said the same but qualified it with wanting peace and quiet instead of youthful companions, you might change your recommendations.

Also, being less than entranced with feminism is not the same thing as being a misogynist, stroll.

Jeepz

Jeepz:

Good point about the neighborhood you live in. Quiet versus not so quiet.

What I am interested in learning is why MsNina posts the information as she does. Stroll made a valiant effort to explain to me what MsNina was thinking, although, for the life of me I cannot understand how she knew. :o

My point may be best illustrated by making this hypothetical statement...."I am interested in purchasing a home off of Siam Country Club Road in Pattaya. I am a Republican party member. Will I be bothered by Democrats or Independents? Is this a good area for me to live in?"

Looks a little silly when put like that doesn't it! :D

I should have known better...

What was the saying about sleeping dogs?.....................................

I wonder, who you are.....

40 postings (many of them intelligent one-liner or two-liners without any clear contents) within a single day....

And you are telling me you are a newcomer on this Thaivisa-Forum???

Johann

chuckd, jeepz and stroll are both correct as to why I posted that I'm a feminist who doesn't want to live next to the sex tourists... so that people don't recommend places near the sex tourists. Pretty simple.

I also keep repeating that I'm a feminist because people keep on asking me about it. It's difficult to answer a question about why I post that I'm a feminist without saying, once again, that I'm a feminist.

Also, I had expected to find my apartment on my own. Perhaps that's naive but I'm a very independent person and hadn't planned on asking one of my two future colleagues to help me. Even if one of them does help me, I'm excited about going to Bangkok and so wanted to start planning it ahead of time (i.e. before I get there... wow, there's a novel concept)... and for me, as I've never been to Bangkok, planning includes working out the orientation of the city, what the different areas are like, etc. etc. Hence the questions. Satisfied?

Btw, I'm a feminist.

"PS : I'm a male chauvinist pig. Should I add that to every post I make? "

No need to, it's clear from what you say.

"40 postings (many of them intelligent one-liner or two-liners without any clear contents) within a single day....

And you are telling me you are a newcomer on this Thaivisa-Forum???"

Some brains work faster than others, btw, 18 minus 15 is how many?

Troll:

But if I can't say...I'm a MALE CHAUVINIST PIG on every post, then how am I going to get my agenda across? That seems to be what MsNina is saying at least.

You must be a feminist also but you don't add it to every post you make. You are much more subtle in your postings. You seem to prefer the silk glove approach rather than the sledge hammer approach preferred by our young friend from Australia.

Since I am a MALE CHAUVINIST PIG, however, neither system works for me. I still think women should be seen and not heard, much as children, and should be sure my beer is nice and cold at all times. I don't want any conversation during Sportscenter but when I do want to talk, I prefer my lady to sit quietly, agree with everything I say and laugh heartily at my jokes. I am not a sex maniac but when the urge strikes me, I expect my lady to gleefully stop what she is doing and happily enjoy my wishes.

The job is open if either one of you would like to apply. :o

I'M A MALE CHAUVINIST PIG AND PROUD OF IT.

chuckd, jeepz and stroll are both correct as to why I posted that I'm a feminist who doesn't want to live next to the sex tourists... so that people don't recommend places near the sex tourists. Pretty simple.
they are everywhere, and if they are not foriegn,then they will be thais looking for some fun . the clubs,bars,karaoke establishments are to be found in every neighbourhood of bangkok.
Also, I had expected to find my apartment on my own. Perhaps that's naive but I'm a very independent person and hadn't planned on asking one of my two future colleagues to help me.

you wont need to ask for help here from your colleagues or thai acquaintances, they will offer it to you.... and if you want to make friends here,you better not refuse offers of help... the refusal will be seen as an insult. independance, although not unknown here, is definately a minority character trait.

Btw, I'm a feminist.

better to push it to the background for a while. just come and enjoy yourself here.

stay away from what you dont like, but dont try and change the world.

now how about a big kiss and cuddle for your old uncle tax :o