Fresh report: SSA benefits application interview with SSA-Manila

"The NIST DAG draft reads in part: 'If the out of band verification is to be made using a SMS message on a public mobile telephone network, the verifier SHALL verify that the pre-registered telephone number being used is actually associated with a mobile network and not with a VoIP (or other software-based) service.'"

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, chubby said:

I am curious, when you log on to the SS webpage, do you do it ON or OFF of the VPN ?

I am not sure whom I trust least Thai ISPs, (esp with shared IPs on a group condo provided connection) or even my own private IP on a Thai ISP  vs. my VPN....

sorry if off topic

Both ways.  But the great majority of time I don't use VPN.

It is kind of interesting to ponder where all this verification stuff is headed...

For computers and phones as devices, it seems to be fingerprint scanning as the unlock method.

But for online transactions such as banks and the government, I'm not so sure where this is all going. Right now, it mainly seems to be getting all the sensitive stuff to at least implement MFA.

But beyond that, what's the future hold? Fingerprint scanning online, retina scanning, online DNA analysis???? It's a brave new world out there. :)

When I think about all this, I think about one of the stranger movie scenes I recall, where someone was trying to get into a place protected by fingerprint scanning security. So the character kills the guy who actually has access, cuts the thumb off the dead body, and then uses the severed thumb to access the fingerprint scanner and gain access. What will the future hold???

53 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It is kind of interesting to ponder where all this verification stuff is headed...

For computers and phones as devices, it seems to be fingerprint scanning as the unlock method.

But for online transactions such as banks and the government, I'm not so sure where this is all going. Right now, it mainly seems to be getting all the sensitive stuff to at least implement MFA.

But beyond that, what's the future hold? Fingerprint scanning online, retina scanning, online DNA analysis???? It's a brave new world out there. :)

When I think about all this, I think about one of the stranger movie scenes I recall, where someone was trying to get into a place protected by fingerprint scanning security. So the character kills the guy who actually has access, cuts the thumb off the dead body, and then uses the severed thumb to access the fingerprint scanner and gain access. What will the future hold???

But it's a mistake to focus primarily on the "surface" of the security system that faces us since it is not where the substantial risk is.   Most of the loss (I have seen an estimate of 97%) comes not from breaking into accounts via the website nor from breaking into users' desktop computers.  They target the main systems of organizations themselves, which offers a much richer opportunity.  These are the stories of millions of credentials stolen from databases supposedly secure.  It may be data from some official's laptop or a breach engineered by collusion with insiders or security holes in communication protocols between organizations such as the SWIFT network.  This is where most of the theft occurs and we have no way at all of evaluating how well any of these organizations protects our data for which they are responsible.  Nor will we ever.

There are implications from this unavoidable fact.  Yes we should follow the best practices from our end, but, since we cannot fully trust any fiduciary we should spread our financial accounts among them.  Doesn't help with Social Security, of course, but it might reduce our risk of being wiped out by a brokerage attack, for instance.

I tend to agree to what you're saying about the broader context.

But still, there are a couple of realities, as in:

1. No matter the broader, large-scale security risks that you point out, it seems to me unavoidable that there will continue to be evolving measures and technologies implemented at the individual user level. So, we'd better be prepared to see more stuff like the SSA's MFA implementation, and future evolutions of MFA.

2. It's also true that sometimes it is individual employees being compromised at companies or government agencies that ends up providing the hackers with the broader system access they want to engage in mass-level data compromise.

So, anyway you cut it, I still think more of the same is headed our way. It's just a question of what forms/methods those measures are going to take.

It's certainly true that additional requirements will be imposed as time goes by.  At the same time technologies will sometimes emerge that will allow we expats to adapt ourselves convincingly to the system.  So VOIP US phone numbers, mail forwarding services, and SMS over voip enable us to keep a functional presence in the US.  However, the technical advantage may easily shift to the other side at any time enabling the organizations we deal with to exclude us effectively.  For instance, any review of my credit card charges will show that all the in-person uses occur in Thailand while the US charges are only for purchases over the internet.  So, they can easily determine with complete accuracy that I do not live in the US and act accordingly.

This is only to say these systems are not being developed to accommodate us expats and at some point the opportunity to fall through the cracks may disappear without notice.

http://www.cnet.com/news/google-project-abacus-2016-atap-password/

http://www.refinery29.com/2016/05/111910/project-abacus

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Edited by chubby
13 hours ago, chubby said:

has anyone done a credit freeze with the 4 big bureaus?  

I have it done in my notes, that doing this will make it so I am unable to login to the SSA online 

It would prevent you from "creating" an account online, but you could go to a Social Security office to create the account.

Once the account is created, a credit freeze would not stop you from accessing the account

https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=3871&hitOffset=&docID=5279

Can I create a my Social Security account if I have a security freeze or a fraud alert on my credit report?

You cannot create a my Social Security account online if you have a security freeze, fraud alert, or both on your credit report. You first must ask to have the freeze or alert removed.

To create a my Social Security account in person without removing the security freeze or fraud alert, visit your local Social Security office.

A CNN article on the new SSA 2 factor logon requirement.

Seniors are getting locked out of Social Security ... because they don't text

Some partial quotes below from above article.

The new verification process was put in place so that the Administration complies with an executive order requiring federal agencies to provide more secure authentication for their online services, the agency said.
"Social Security recognizes that not every mySocialSecurity account holder may have a cell phone, have consistent cell service in a rural area, or be able to receive a text message," it said in a statement.

The change doesn't prevent anyone from receiving their monthly Social Security benefits. But the online accounts are where people can go to change their address, start or change direct deposit of their payment, and request a replacement Social Security card. Those who haven't retired yet, can log in to their account to see an estimate of future benefit payments. 
As of 2015, 92% of U.S. adults own a cellphone and 78% of those age 65 and older do, according to the Pew Research Center.

7 minutes ago, thaihome said:

Can you post a link for that. Have not tried to setup the SMS verification number yet. It allows 11 digit foriegn mobile numbers to be input?

TH 

Just to be extra clear...I was referring to using Google's own 2-Step Verification, and the fact that that you cannot use GV, and that a Thai mobile, or any worldwide mobile, works.

https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

I am sorry if my post confused anyone.

The my SSA website seems to require a 10 digit U.S. telephone number which can receive SMSes, probably a mobile but there are many reports in this thread that GV works for receiving SMSes from the my SSA verification process.

Which one of these 2 choices do I choose since I already signed up with my USA cell number with SS.I want to be able to have access to my  SS account  internationally as well as when I'm in the states. 
Available options for using your existing mobile number:
Port your mobile number to Google Voice
Porting means that you move your number from your carrier to Google Voice. You can then use the full set of Google Voice features without having to change your number.
Port your number
Get Google Voicemail for your existing mobile number
Keep your existing number with your carrier and get the lite version of Google Voice which includes some of the most popular features like online voicemail and voicemail transcriptions.
Get Google Voice Lite
5 hours ago, riclag said:
Which one of these 2 choices do I choose since I already signed up with my USA cell number with SS.I want to be able to have access to my  SS account  internationally as well as when I'm in the states. 
Available options for using your existing mobile number:
Port your mobile number to Google Voice
Porting means that you move your number from your carrier to Google Voice. You can then use the full set of Google Voice features without having to change your number.
Port your number
Get Google Voicemail for your existing mobile number
Keep your existing number with your carrier and get the lite version of Google Voice which includes some of the most popular features like online voicemail and voicemail transcriptions.
Get Google Voice Lite

Pretty much up to you, all you need is the ability to receive a SMS for verification to get into your my Social Security account; how you get it really makes no difference.  In my case anything that goes through Google Voice as an SMS is also copied to my gmail account so I will see the SMS in my email inbox (on my computer)  whether I have my phone on or not.

Here is what the SMS to  gmail message looks like: (personal info altered)

698xxx <[email protected]>

6:12 PM (15 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif

XXXX: We've posted a new doc for your review. Go to XXXXXMyDocs to view it. Reply HELP for help.

--
Sent using SMS-to-email. Reply to this email to text the sender back and save on SMS fees.
https://www.google.com/voice/

I would not use either one of those methods.  Just get a new Google Voice number...don't port over/transfer your current cell number to Google Voice. 

On your SS account you can change the number the SMS is sent to....apparently each time you logon if desired.  Get your GV number and then enter that for your SS account mobile number.

A lot of people choose to port an existing number (fixed line, mobile) to a VoIP provider (like Google Voice) when they relocate from the U.S to another country. But unless you want to give up your existing mobile number there really is no need to port it out, just get a new VoIP number. There are are many, many, many options including GV, many of which are free. GV does have a pretty good feature set, and very little requirement for usage to maintain the number/service. SMSes to your GV account can be delivered via GMail, or natively to a smartphone (Android, iOS) via Hangouts. Plus you can make/receive free voice calls to/from the U.S.

There are even services which can make any existing 10 digit number capable of receiving and originating SMSes, and some even have per message pricing.

While it appears that my SSA SMS 2-step does work with GV, it should be noted that GV still does not support all SC-SMS, so you should check the GV forum to see if any other 2-step/OTP services which you might be using, will work with GV.

From the Google Voice Product Manager: "Google is supporting some short code but if it's important you would be wise to have the bank notify you through your mobile network instead of through Google voice."

Edited by mtls2005
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/20/2016 at 5:36 PM, ubonjoe said:

IMO it may be best to apply through Manila by getting the form from the embassy and having them forward it to Manila. They will call you and set a date and time for the formal interview by phone. That is how I did it about about 4 and half years ago (no online application possible then from here).

I was talking a guy that did his online and he got an email from Manila asking him to call them to finalize things.

On 7/21/2016 at 8:08 PM, Pib said:

I may do that. Since I live in Bangkok, I contacted the U.S. Embassy Bangkok to ask about the process to apply with Manila with the Bangkok Embassy (or U.S. Embassy Chiang Mai) acting as the middle man to provide the initial forms and to mail them to the Social Security Office at the U.S. Emassy Manila. I asked about both Social Security and Medicare signup since I will want Medicare Part B in order to continue with Tricare for Life once turning 65 since I'm retired military.

You would not need to go to the U.S. Embassy Bangkok (or Chiang Mai Embassy) to get or return the forms as they will email them to you and you can email them back; they in turn forward them to the SS Office in Manila. Heck, I live in Bangkok and dread even infrequent needs to go the embassy since you need to make an appointment, fighting the traffic to get there which is usually a morning appointment, etc. Fine folks at the embassy but it's just I don't like the trek to the embassy.

The initial signup form for either Social Security or Medicare are very simple one page forms, but Manila will call you later for an interview and tell you what additional forms you may need to mail them. I expect during the telephone interview they will collect additional info that if you applied online you would have provided already as the online form collects more information especially regarding social security benefits. In some cases if they require some original or certified/notarized doc you may want to have that done from the Bangkok/Chiang Mai embassy to Manila to help ensure safe delivery to Manila...of course this means a visit to the embassy....will depend on what doc(s) Manila may ask for....everyone's situation will be different.

I completed the online application form again a few days and saved it...I can go back to it later and electronically sign it which actually transmits it to the Social Security for processing. I also did it about a year ago just for info/practice, but after around 6 months it falls out of the system if you don't sign it. The online form is a couple pages long but info requested is all easy/very basic info. If anyone wants to walk themselves through the signup process they can go to this Social Security webpage to complete a sign-up application...you can save it and come back to it later....just don't electronically sign it as that transmits it. You don't need a Social Security online account to complete the form. You can sign up for Social Security and Medicare on the same form if you happen to be starting them at the same time.

Anyway, below are the initial Social Security and Medicare signup forms if you were going to go the Manila route....but remember Manila will be contacting you for more info/a telephone interview/maybe more docs, etc. I've also included a couple of partial quotes from the U.S. Embassy Bangkok giving some additional info regarding submitting/processing the forms. The U.S. Embassy Bangkok was very helpful and quick to reply.

Just a note about where they talk using a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account if desired, you don't have to if you don't want to...you can have your social security benefits deposited to your U.S. bank if desired. It's just Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with "ACH Receiving" capability and U.S. govt pension payments such as social security, military/civil service retirement, etc., are sent via the ACH funds transfer system....the primary funds transfer system used in the U.S. The Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account is FYI only but definitely comes in handy if you don't want to use your U.S. bank or no longer have a U.S. bank account. There are two low cost fees applied by Bangkok Bank at their New York branch and their in-Thailand branch for each deposit/transfer via ACH transfer....probably works out to approx $11 in total fees for the typical social security pension payment at or below $2,000...above $2,000 it would be approx $16 in total fees.

Medicare Signup Initial Form for Manila

CMS 40B Medicare Enrollment.pdf

Social Security Signup Initial Form for Manila

SOCIAL SECURITY CLAIMANT INFORMATION SHEET.docx

Well, I very recently pulled the trigger to sign up for my social security pension....I'm starting it before my full retirement age.  Anyway, I did submit via email in the morning to the Social Security Office at the U.S. Embassy - Manila from my home here in Bangkok.  Since I knew who my case worker would be a the Manila office from previous email/telephone inquiries, I emailed the Social Security Claimant Info Sheet to that person and in the email I said I stand ready to schedule/do the phone interview as soon as possible.

Within 2 (two) minutes I got a call from the social security office and we did the interview which is all just very basic info...pretty much the same info you would put on a full social security online application.   They also have your info/earning record/etc.,  pulled up on their computer screen during the interview....I figured that out during the interview by the rep saying, "Yes that's what it shows on your record" when I asked a few questions during the interview.   The whole interview only took about 10 minutes.

When asked where I want the direct deposit to go to like maybe Bangkok Bank since I live in Thailand, I said no, to a U.S. bank...gave the rep my U.S. bank routing and account number....no problem...simple.   Also told the rep what percentage to withhold in federal tax since "up to" 85% of your benefit is taxable...how much is taxable will vary from person to person depending on your overall income....in my case approx 68% of my benefit is taxable based on cranking some numbers into my TaxAct tax software.  Need to have enough withheld to pay Uncle Sam otherwise you may have a big federal tax bill when filing your annual federal income tax.  On the Federal W-4V Voluntary Withholding Request form you would normally submit you have the choice of having 7, 10, 15, or 25% tax withholding of your social security benefit payment....if you don't identify any percentage during your application no federal tax will be withheld.  I told the rep to withhold 7% which according to my tax software will work for me.  So, take that into consideration when getting ready to apply for your benefit....don't forget Uncle Sam's share otherwise you may have a healthy tax due amount come annual tax filing.

Now the Manila office actually sends your application (I expect electronically) to the head social security office in Baltimore for final processing/approval and said it can take 2 to 4 months to complete the entire approval process.  I expect that is their standard statement and hopefully everything will compete within 2 months.  They said I would get a letter/card in the mail once approved.   And I'll check my online Social Security account periodically to see when it changes from saying no benefits to benefits being paid....I figure I might see that before I get the letter/card in the snail mail....time will tell.

Based on my specific birth date later in the month I was expecting my monthly payment to arrive on the 4th Wednesday of each month but the rep said for anyone with a foreign address they get the payment on the 3rd day of each month.     None of my previous research/googling ever talked about foreign payments being made on the 3rd of the month, but basically the particular payment date being driven by when you were born during the month with a few exceptions.  But none of those few exceptions listed ever mentioned payment dates to "foreign addresses."  However, sure enough from some more very recent googling I found this SSA webpage that says payments to foreign addresses occurs during  Cycle 1 of each month (i.e., the 3rd of each month).  Cool....sooner each month is better than later.

Yeap, barring unforeseen issues as my application continues through the process, signing up for social security with the U.S. Embassy - Manila Social Security Office was fast and easy from my Bangkok residence....the rep who did the interview was professional and nice to talk to.  I'm happy....not that I'm getting older...just how easy and fast the initial signup went.  Hopefully there will be no surprises in reaching final approval and payment beginning, but you never know with Uncle Sam.  Your signup results may vary.

A further quick note re fast & easy sign ups for SS deposits made to your Bangkok Bank here in LOS - 2nd floor of the main branch in Silom.  Hang a right at the top of the escalator and loads of English-speaking Bangkok Bank reps will get you sorted.  They can run interference and deal straight with SS in the PI.  No need to visit the Embassy. 

Basically three ways to identify to Social Security where you want your benefit payment direct deposited to....see below partial quote from the Social Security website.  Contacting Social Security could include the Manila office if desired.   And like Boon Mee said above and as quoted below, your bank such as Bangkok Bank would mail off the bank account info to SS like if you had a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account.   You can setup a Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit account for U.S. govt payments at any Bangkok Bank branch although I expect some might give you a deer in the headlights look and have to do a little research first like (review their own website).

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3825/How-can-I-change-or-sign-up-for-direct-deposit-for-my-Social-Security-or-Supplemental-Security-Income-SSI-payments

How can I change or sign up for direct deposit for my Social Security or Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments?

If you already receive benefits and you have a bank account, you can change or sign up for your direct deposit by:

• Setting up a my Social Security account and starting or changing your direct deposit online (Social Security benefits only);
  • Contacting your bank, credit union or savings and loan association; or
  • Calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778).

If you currently do not receive Social Security or SSI benefits, but plan to apply, sign up for direct deposit when you apply for benefits. Have your checkbook or a copy of your bank statement with you when you apply for benefits.

You only get a confirmation number when applying online. If applying at a social security office like I did through Manila (maybe call that a manual sign up) you don't get a confirmation number as I asked about that at the end of the interview. Hopefully the rep gave me a correct answer. But maybe one will show up in the mail anyway...that would be a nice surprise.

But I have found a way to determine if my application is actually in the system or not without a Confirmation Number.   I logged onto my social security account and under the Benefits and Payment area it says I'm not currently receiving Social Security Benefits and in that same area there's another link you can click to get a Benefits Verification Letter.  You click that link and it comes up in a letter format and in one of the paragraphs it now says I have an application on file (see 1st partial quote below) compared to what it use to say before filing the application (see 2nd partial quote below).  So my application recently filed via Manila is indeed in the system.

1st Partial Quote...After Filing the Application

Information About Application for Benefits

Our records show that an application for benefits has been filed. However, we have not yet finished working on the claim and at this time we cannot tell you whether or not benefits will be payable.

2nd Partial Quote...Before Filing the Application

You asked us to verify whether you have received benefits from Social Security Administration. This letter verifies that:

• You do not receive benefits now and have not received benefits in the past.
  • You do not have a pending claim for benefits.

•  

• 1 month later...

My SS pension application I submitted via Manila has been approved.  Took 49 days from the day Manila hit the Submit button at the end of our telephone interview and the approval by SS Baltimore International Operations which processes/approves all SS applications from outside the U.S.  I checked my SS online account almost daily after the Manila submission and very recently I saw the approval and some additional options appeared on my online account since I'm now approved for SS pension.  And the direct deposit to one of my U.S. banks is showing on my account (which I can also change via my online account).   Pension payment will be the 3d of each month as also shown on my online account.  

Now with above being said I'm still unsure if there was any advantage to submitting via Manila versus just submitting an online application via the main SS application website which Manila confirmed I could do if I wanted to, but I opted just to let them do the telephone interview which is really nothing more than collecting/entering the information for the online application form.   But hey, since I used Manila and gave them a few calls and sent them a few emails during the application process at least I got to experience their service (which was good & friendly) and I may use them in the future if any issues surface with my SS versus calling the main U.S. SS Customer Assistance number which I also did several times (which was good and courteous service also).  

Heck, I even called the SS Baltimore Int'l Ops number a couple of times to check on the status of my application....now calling that Baltimore number you will just get a recording asking your to identify yourself with call back number and why you are calling and then it says they will call you back on 1 to 2 business days which they did.   You can also find out status by calling the main SS customer service number.

Now I will say when you call the SS main customer assistance number or the Baltimore number you will "not" be speaking with the person who is processing your application; you only speak to the folks who answer phone calls and provide general info...but if those folks can't answer your question satisfactory they can/will send a message to the application processor relaying your concern/question about the application status.  

I will get the approval in the mail also (will take several weeks to show up) but from seeing the approval on my online account and talking to a SS rep it was approved without issue....just took them a while to get to the application.  Apparently when the application is submitted, Baltimore then "assigns" it to a person for processing (put it in their online inbox) and it's that person who will process/approve the application once they get to it.  So, if you got a "slow worker" or maybe someone who took X-days of vacation/sick leave while your application was setting in the inbox, well, it would take longer to be processed compared to another person's application that arrived the same time as yours but ended up in the inbox of a "fast worker" who also never takes a day off.   But I did find out during one of my calls that Baltimore does set a 60 day suspense on initially getting to/reviewing your application...now whether they complete their review/approval within 60 days is a different matter.  Manila did tell me when taking my application that approval time is 2 to 4 months.    

Anyway, just FYI to you fine folks who will be submitting your SS pension application.  And if you don't currently have an online account definitely get one as it provides some good info and features whether you are years away from drawing the pension or already drawing it....and you can even use it to see when your application has been approved versus waiting on snail mail or making calls....but I know talking to a human sometimes is preferred because that's what I did several times.  Cheers.

Just for info:

I retired in 2010 when i was 64.

Did my interview in the U.S. at the time and was given a work sheet with my benefits amount.

I came to Thailand and in 2011 and also turned 65 that year.

I was mailed a meicare/mediciaid  card at my Thai address at that sane rime.

In September 2014 I began getting my momhly SSA bebefits by Direct Deposit  to my Bangkok Bank account from the International serviices in Baltimore.

This was done through the SSA ofice in Manila, who were the ones who helped me undo the mess that my local Social Security office had made of my records in the U.S.

I am recieving benefits now monthly direct to my Bangkok Bank account on the 4th of each month if the main bangkok Bank in Silom Road is not closed due to a Thai holiday that month.

If it is closed due to a Thai holiday, the benefits appear the next bank work day.

All SSA pension benefits enter Thailand to the Bangkok Bank through their main headquarters branch in Silom Road in Bangkok, and once you are registered with them they are then automatically credited to tour Bangkok Bank branch account at least in Bangkok as soon as it is recieved in Silom Road.

I do not know if this is also true for those who live outside of Bangkok, but is working fine for me here in Bangkok.

No complaints here as lomg as it keeps working.

A Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit (DD) account for U.S. govt payments such as social security, military retirement payments can be opened at any Bangkok Bank branch although you may get a deer-in-the-headlights type look at certain branches quickly followed by a no-can-do answer not because you can't with that branch but because the branch is too lazy to research/call HQ Bangkok to ask how.   It's a loss of face thing.   And once the Direct Deposit account is setup you can use any branch to withdraw/add/transfer funds.

In fact, in another very recent SS related thread there are a couple of posts by a TV member who lives in the sticks going through this DD account opening were his local Bangkok Bank branch didn't seem to know how.  He then went to the Bangkok HQ Silom branch to set it up/for assistance, but the Silom branch seems to just helping him "and his local branch" on how to set it up probably because the HQ branch knows it would be better for the individual to have the account at his nearby/local branch.

It's generally best to setup your bank account at your nearby/local branch because there will be times you need to do certain updates/things regarding your bank account and only the branch you set the account of can accomplish "certain things"....and when those times arrive you don't want to have to travel many kilometers/maybe across Thailand to the branch you opened the account at just to accomplish that special account activity.

I live in Suphanburi and I went to the Bangkok Bank Silom office to open the direct deposit account for my SSA payments. The lady there prepared a memorandum for me to present to my local branch which I did today. The rest of the procedure to open the account at the local branch went smoothly and I left the SSA SF1199 with them to complete and forward to the Silom office for them in turn to forward to Baltimore. Hopefully that will complete my SSA pension application process. As of today from the application status query webpage no decision has yet been made on my application.

Edited by tutsiwarrior