Gas station boss shoots man in head for leaving water on

snoop1130

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand is a dangerous country. Life can end when one least's expect it. Being prepared for the unexpected means nothing. Cross your fingers and wear an amulet and hope for the best. You have no control over place and time.

-Not hanging around sleazy foriegner places.

-not being so drunk as to be stupid.

-curtail the ego and walk away from confrontations.

-dont drive.

-dont go into business

-dont loan or borrow money

-choose carefully a small group of farang friends

-avoid interacting with Thai males.

all these things help your odds.

Obviously, this poor guy was just going about his usual business, so crossing paths with nutters is a

higher risk than the west, granted.

You face same risks if your a farang working here, anything other than teaching IMO, to many nutters around.

how an amulet save you i dont know. Thats a joke right?

Thailand is a dangerous country. Life can end when one least's expect it. Being prepared for the unexpected means nothing. Cross your fingers and wear an amulet and hope for the best. You have no control over place and time.

People see what they want to see.

I'd suggest the U.S. is far more dangerous, just more sophisticated.

USA

I would really like to get into the mindset of people like yourself. WHY do Anericans always refer to the US in virtually every Post concerning violence?

The vast majority of westerners don't but admiittidly tend to more so err on intervening whenever they can on bad grammar. As far as I'm concerned these forums are supposed to be about Thailand and its people to include expat experiences unless I've got the wrong end of the stick.

I don't know how long before the so-called Freedom Of Speech on TV will be curtailed (besides me getting the odd public warnings every now and then) given that the word on the street is that us Ferangs tend to be too outspoken and the odd - it's bigger and better back home syndrome!!!

Sorry starting to get lost in some paradoxical faze.

Such is life ....

Hi Scott.

There is no doubt this country has extreme issues.

However I see these as human issues.

If you regularly read Thai Visa postings you will soon conclude that it is heavy with authors who are extremely negative to all things Thai and constantly over inflate how bad things are.

Sure it's a third world country.

Sure there are cultural and possibly genetic issues at play.

Sure it can be dangerous.

But we need to take things in perspective.

World comparisons are a legitimate way of putting things in context.

The root of things bad is due to humans attachment to greed, hatred, and delusion.

Why did I bring up the USA?

They are at the pinnacle when it comes to greed, delusion and hatred.

Yes, there is corruption in poor countries such as Thailand, but this pales into insignificance in comparison.

It's just that the corruption in the USA is more sophisticated.

Read post #18

The US has around 320 million people. These numbers mean nothing until converted to per capita. An island with 10 people that had 2 murders would have a 20% homicide rate. An island with 100 people that had two murders would have a 2% homicide rate. Convert the numbers to per capita and get back with us.

Sadly in addition, there is absolutely no justice in this country, , especially for the poor, unconnected, and tourists :(

Read post #18

The US has around 320 million people. These numbers mean nothing until converted to per capita. An island with 10 people that had 2 murders would have a 20% homicide rate. An island with 100 people that had two murders would have a 2% homicide rate. Convert the numbers to per capita and get back with us.
That's simply academic.

Which ever way you look at it, the USA is awash with guns to the eye balls.

Incidentally these figures are known gun numbers.

I've seen figures published of anything up to a billion guns.

The NRA controls the government.

It has nothing to do with freedom, but everything to do with profit (greed).

And guess where 80% of Thai guns come from?

The USA.

Thailand has a gun problem, yes.

But let's put things in perspective.

There is a war going on in the USA which is being fueled by greed and it's spilling out globally.

The rich in Thailand ( you need a lot of money to be able to afford one) have a penchant for US guns.

Arm a population and you will have the problems everyone is reading about, but posters wil blame it exclusively on Thais and their mentalality.

Thailand is becoming more like Brazil it seems, life is cheap and guns eveywhere

Hi lucky man.

I hope you're not American.

There are conservatively 347 million guns in the U.S.

Wiki quotes 82,000 non fatal shootings and 11,000 homicides, and 21,000 suicides in 2013.

This excludes legal shootings.

The toll is so great most never make the media.

10 times greater than the Iraqi war toll which caused Obama to pull the troops.

Somehow if you get shot at home it's cool.

Does this put Thailand in perspective?

As the U.S. State Department’s Bureau for Diplomatic Security wrote in its safety report (2015) for overseas staff: “Thailand has a fervent gun culture on par with the United States and has become a world leader in firearms-related homicides.”

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/08/11/asia-pacific/crime-legal-asia-pacific/gun-murder-rate-thailand-par-united-states/#.V2pPjlR97IU

Sadly in addition, there is absolutely no justice in this country, , especially for the poor, unconnected, and tourists :(

How much justice is their for black Americans in the usa?

In the usa money buys you justice.

Injustice is not unique to Thailand.

That is not to say it's acceptable.

But let's keep it in perspective.

Injustice is not exclusively Thai, it is a human trait.

That's simply academic.

Which ever way you look at it, the USA is awash with guns to the eye balls.

Incidentally these figures are known gun numbers.

I've seen figures published of anything up to a billion guns.

The NRA controls the government.

It has nothing to do with freedom, but everything to do with profit (greed).

And guess where 80% of Thai guns come from?

The USA.

Thailand has a gun problem, yes.

But let's put things in perspective.

There is a war going on in the USA which is being fueled by greed and it's spelling out globally.

The rich in Thailand ( you need a lot of money to be able to afford one) have a penchant for US guns.

Arm a population and you will have the problems everyone is reading about, but posters wil blame it exclusively on Thais and their mentalality.

No need to argue with you on this. You are obviously living in you own little world. I'm from the US and no I don't agree with everything that goes on there. There is a lot of corruption and some serious problems with the government. But I would like to know where US citizens store 1 billion guns? That would be more than 3 guns for every man, woman and child in the US. Almost enough to provide every man, woman and child in China with a gun. Surely you can see this is unrealistic. Why does is matter where Thai's get their guns? Last time I checked, Chinese, German and Russian guns kill people the same. And lastly, I have never seen a gun go self aware and kill someone. It takes human intervention. All the guns in world are useless without someone to pull the trigger.

That's how cheap life is in Thailand - worth a few units of electricity.

A serious cultural problem which, unfortunately, is not going to be fixed any time soon. sad.png

Here’s proof of their different attitude and belief system:
‘The lack of outrage shown over gun murders, he (Kasit Piromya, a former Thailand foreign minister) believes is down to the concept of a karma.
“When you die, you die. It’s acceptance and resignation. We take death calmly as part of life,” said Kasit, who owns two registered pistols.’facepalm.gif

Read post #18

These countries have the same murder rates, though I couldn't find the Thailand murder rate for 2015:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

post-249108-0-00322100-1466587771_thumb.

Thank you for your reply cm.

In the past I have read an article which indicated that no one will ever know the true number of guns floating around in the USA.

A figure approaching a billion was floated.

Official figures put it at between 230 and 270 million.

There are articles suggesting figures more likely to be somewhere in the middle, citing low compliance rates for gun registration (as low as 4% in Connecticut).

It was also suggested 46% of all males & 23% of all females own atleast one firearm.

Regardless, these are staggering numbers.

There are two reasons why I mention the usa.

Many expats here post as though Thailand is the worst and most dangerous place to be.

They quote gangbangers, spoilt Thai rich, criminals and those with a Buddhist kharmic attitude.

This gun culture has been exported from the top of the cesspool.

Not only the gun culture, but the gangbanger culture, and the hardware involved.

Sure Thailand can be dangerous but no more or less than anywhere in the world and certainly not as bad as in the USA where it all began.

Greed, corruption, political influence, all packaged with the illusion of freedom and the American way.

The only ones who have freedom are the ones at the top who exploit their citizens.

There are beautiful people in the US but there is much greed and hatred in their halls of power.

To return to the op, there are mentally deficient, simple, and evil people everywhere.

Make guns easily available and the outcome is very quick and efficient.

Sick society. Corruption, road rages, road killings, irresponsibility for their actions, rapes, murders, lack of vision, immaturity, stupid "loosing" face cases in disputes and in all aspects of life including police and courts, hunger for money, stupidity, greed, camouflaged attitude towards foreigners, imaginable "superiority" of Thai whatever. Thailand the land of........all the above. Oh, where is the smile?

Thailand and its people could change, if tourists and "permanent" farangs are not there and they are left to their own machination. This sickness comes from the bottom, which is also represented at the top. C'est la vie.

I sure do hope this post does not turn into an excuse for Thai bashing...

Thailand is wonderful....repeat after me: "Thailand is Wonderful!"

Maybe we'll never know the full facts behind this fatality.

On the surface it seems a little excessive.

One thing which seems to regularly come to the fore though.

Once the reason for coming here has lost its shine everything negative about the place can become amplified and overwhelming.

Is this the case for you?

Thailand is becoming more like Brazil it seems, life is cheap and guns eveywhere

Selected murder rates per 100,000:

Honduras 84.6

Brazil 24.6

USA 3.9

Thailand 3.9

UK 1

Japan 0.3

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

You are, like many people here, confusing homicides with gun deaths. Accidents, suicides and death by cop are not included in your numbers for example.

Hi lucky man.

Wiki quotes 82,000 non fatal shootings and 11,000 homicides, and 21,000 suicides in 2013.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/09/upshot/gun-deaths-are-mostly-suicides.html

Thailand is becoming more like Brazil it seems, life is cheap and guns everywhere

You will find the same trends in most countries that have a high GINI coefficient, high economic inequality, such as found in Brazil, Thailand, and the US as well.

Hi lucky man.

if you wouldnt mind can you collect all the stats from every other country in the world

post them here with commentary on each one, you know to put Thailand in "perspective"

so we can get back to discussing Thailands issues on a THAI forum?

rolleyes.gif

Reading through these posts makes me think that many of you have a very low opinion of Thais.

Body language and attitude are easily detected, and you are even making yourself more isolated from the people here.

If you truly feel unsafe, then perhaps it is time relocate. I felt that way after 15 years in the Philippines.

Six people I knew were shot. Two were very close friends. I was on the wrong end of a gun 3 times...once by my landlord.

I moved to Thailand, and it was the best choice I made. at the time.

I feel very safe right now, but many places in Thailand made me uneasy. I changed my habits, and now I enjoy friendly areas and stay away from the negative ones, where people bitch and moan to each other. Yes, the culture here is tough...you don't know how far you can push things when you are angry before the locals snap. I caught myself becoming upset with my wife and berating some friends of hers. It builds up after a while. She is a very understanding lady, actually.

What is missing in this story is maybe a history of bad feelings between the two men. No excuse to kill anyone, but the story makes you think one mistake was made and the employer snapped. There were probably many encounters over many things, in the past. Words said...and loss of face.

I have reached my limits as well. When you spend too much time complaining, then it becomes destructive. If people sense you are looking down on them or berating them, then you have to take some positive action. Remove yourself if possible, or adjust by focusing on something else. I won't even argue with Thais. I now let my wife negotiate problems. My body language and smile are not that endearing, and I might be off.

Best thing I am doing differently is limiting my drinking, and choosing the right venues to do that. Staying away from negative, angry people also helps. I bring my wife along with me, instead of leaving her at home. I actually enjoy the company more, and she has a better way with people. It really is all about body language and attitude here. As a team, my wife and I actually make people laugh...and that makes many of the Thais come up and ask questions. A good experience.

There is much talk about the numbers of murders compared to other countries. My problem (and no doubt that of many other) is how the "justice" system deals with the murderers!

Along with any other type of crime it seems the justice system is weighted in favour of the rich and connected. If you are one of the low hanging fruit you get cut down but higher up the tree you are you may be pruned slightly (if ever). Providing you haven't escaped overseas or you have taken to wearing saffron robes!

Always much talk from the 'authorities' but it seems very little positive action to try and remedy the problems. Culturally there seems to be little sense of accountability, responsibility and respect for the life of others.

When you die, you die whatever your belief/religion is about what happens after that. But what right does a criminal have to take some one else's life? NONE! And the criminal should be held accountable for their criminal action. To my mind it is not good enough to say our belief system says that karma will take place therefore do not get too concerned. That attitude rankles me. coffee1.gif

There is much talk about the numbers of murders compared to other countries. My problem (and no doubt that of many other) is how the "justice" system deals with the murderers!

Along with any other type of crime it seems the justice system is weighted in favour of the rich and connected. If you are one of the low hanging fruit you get cut down but higher up the tree you are you may be pruned slightly (if ever). Providing you haven't escaped overseas or you have taken to wearing saffron robes!

Always much talk from the 'authorities' but it seems very little positive action to try and remedy the problems. Culturally there seems to be little sense of accountability, responsibility and respect for the life of others.

When you die, you die whatever your belief/religion is about what happens after that. But what right does a criminal have to take some one else's life? NONE! And the criminal should be held accountable for their criminal action. To my mind it is not good enough to say our belief system says that karma will take place therefore do not get too concerned. That attitude rankles me. coffee1.gif

This is not unique to Thailand.

Ask any Afro American or lower socioeconomic American.

Not to mention many other places.

Archived