Controversial “Foreign National Information Form” arrives in Pattaya, being rolled out nationwide

webfact

Controversial “Foreign National Information Form” arrives in Pattaya, being rolled out nationwide

img.jpg
Image: Tanyaluk Sakoot, The Phuket News

BANGKOK:-- Thaivisa understands a controversial form used by immigration that requires foreigners to disclose important personal information is now in use at Jomtien immigration and is being rolled out nationwide.

Expats and foreigners in Pattaya are now being asked to complete the form, which asks for personal details such as bank account numbers, the addresses of social media accounts and information of places they visit frequently, when they go to complete their 90 day report or extend their visas.

The form, which was first introduced back in April at the Immigration Division 1 office and at the One-Stop Service Center at Chamchuri Square in Bangkok, was introduced at Phuket immigration last month and is already being used at Samut Prakan immigration office.

It is unclear if the form is mandatory.

In April, Chatchawan Wachirapaneekhun, deputy commissioner of the Immigration Bureau’s crime suppression unit told Khaosod English the form was not mandatory.

However, Maj Gen Chachaval Vachirapaneegul, told The Phuket News on May 18 that the form, titled “Foreign National Information Form” is mandatory.

Gen Chachaval said: “If a foreigner doesn’t want to fill in their information by themselves, they will be questioned for our records anyway. If they don’t fill in the form, we will suspect their reason”.

However, he later added that immigration “will not force people to provide their social media details”, but did describe the form as “necessary”, saying “in the past, immigration lacked information about foreign nationals living in Thailand when problems happened. This updated information will help us catch foreigners faster,” the Phuket News reported.

The Foreign National Information Form requires all “aliens” to submit the following information:

- Full name, date of birth, passport number, and names of father and mother
- Full address and telephone numbers in home country
- Full address and telephone numbers of your home and workplace in Thailand
- Social media and email accounts (is optional)
- Make of car/motorcycle, model, colour, license plate number
- Frequently visited places such as clubs, restaurants, shops, hospital
- Emergency contact details for a Thai and foreigner
- Bank account details such as bank, branch, account name and account number (only required for certain visas

At the top of the page, the form states:

This form shall be used for making record of information of every alien entering and staying in the Kingdom of

Thailand and shall be submit with Notification of Residence for Aliens (section 37 , 38 of Immigration Act, B.E. 2522), or

90-days Notification, or Extension of Stays (all purposes), or Re-Entry Permit, or in all cases involving alien labors.

Along with the warning which is in bold:

Providing false information to an officer, shall be punished under Penal Code

You can view the Foreign National Information form here: http://newscontent.thaivisa.com/2016/06/22/Foreign_National_Information.pdf

tvn.png
-- 2016-06-22

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Returned to Thailand 20 June via Don Muang airport - this form not seen.

First sentence: "Expats and foreigners in Pattaya are now being asked to complete the form, when they go to complete their 90 day report or extend their visas."

I had to complete it for my Lao girlfriend today. Apart from her name, address in Thailand, her Lao details, I just put a line (N/A) through the rest. It was accepted without issue. The biggest pain was having to get another photo done.

at where? phuket, bangkok, pattaya

Reading an article in a Cambodian magazine, a minister in Thailand wants all visitors to be issued wristbands by their hotels, with passport information etc., in case they become lost and do not remember where they are staying. Next it will be ankle bracelets.

I did a 90 day reporting recently and had to fill in this form. I just N/A'd or left blank all the areas i did not want to answer and there was no problem. If i recollect properly it even mentioned on the form some of the more intrusive questions were not mandatory.

Reading an article in a Cambodian magazine, a minister in Thailand wants all visitors to be issued wristbands by their hotels, with passport information etc., in case they become lost and do not remember where they are staying. Next it will be ankle bracelets.

Probably an old article - they were tossing that brilliant idea around in the wake of the Koh Tao murders

If every tourists has to fill this out, we should see tourist numbers falling soonly.

And why oh why is a photo needed? Is the photo they take at the immigration desk not enough? As usual, nothing is ever thought through.

Immigration already has all this data on file or accessible from the transportation department with the exception of number 6 and 7 social media data and frequented places. Why do it again if you have a retirement non-res visa or business visa? This could be their quick "cheat sheet," so they needent scroll through all the massive files they never bothered to look at after you filed all that unnecessary paperwork they required for your visa application in the first place.

I'm beginning to wonder if these sort of things as they seem to crop up and then die again after a new government is installed are really a positive step by these folks. Why not simply run the passports through international agencies for a check to begin with?

Are the Asian visa applicants going to fill out these forms? How many illegal Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Lao's, Indians, etc. are never bothered by either Immigration or the BIB? Xenophobia at its best, inquiring minds highly doubtful.

- Full name, date of birth, passport number, and names of father and mother ....... foundling brought up in orphanage

- Full address and telephone numbers in home country ........................................... don't have a phone

- Full address and telephone numbers of your home and workplace in Thailand ............ don't have a phone

- Social media and email accounts (is optional) .................................................... don't have a phone

- Make of car/motorcycle, model, colour, license plate number ............................. don't have a car or m/c

- Frequently visited places such as clubs, restaurants, shops, hospital .................... I never visit anywhere twice

- Emergency contact details for a Thai and foreigner ....................................... I don't know any Thais or foreigners

- Bank account details such as bank, branch, account name and account number (only required for certain visas ...... don't have a bank account

There you go, easy peasy.

This updated information will help us catch foreigners faster,

Interesting statement.

As you can imagine, the real bad guys will be very keen to fill out this form: fully, openly, honestly.

A foreign volunteer is there with a dummy form to help those who need it. The requirement started today and according to the Thai girl at the information desk, it's just a "survey".

Uhuh, the plot thickens. Think how many different identities they can get for SurveyMonkey®

If every tourists has to fill this out, we should see tourist numbers falling soonly.

And why oh why is a photo needed? Is the photo they take at the immigration desk not enough? As usual, nothing is ever thought through.

Tourists generally don't extend visas or do 90 day reports.

Isn't it information they have anyway. Address, bank account details, phone numbers, all are required for a retirement visa. Parents name's .. deceased .. Home Country details .. I live here, so no home country details. Where do you spend the most time .. everywhere in Chiang Rai. Emergency details .. good idea .......

This updated information will help us catch foreigners faster,”

Interesting statement.

Except that there is nothing contained in there that will in any way remotely enable them to catch foreigners faster.

The only notable requirement is social media - I can see this as a way of trying to monitor what the foreigner is up to, by checking his/her FB page and postings.

In any case, the writing's on the wall guys and gals.

Immigration already has all this data on file or accessible from the transportation department with the exception of number 6 and 7 social media data and frequented places. Why do it again if you have a retirement non-res visa or business visa? This could be their quick "cheat sheet," so they needent scroll through all the massive files they never bothered to look at after you filed all that unnecessary paperwork they required for your visa application in the first place.

I'm beginning to wonder if these sort of things as they seem to crop up and then die again after a new government is installed are really a positive step by these folks. Why not simply run the passports through international agencies for a check to begin with?

Are the Asian visa applicants going to fill out these forms? How many illegal Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Lao's, Indians, etc. are never bothered by either Immigration or the BIB? Xenophobia at its best, inquiring minds highly doubtful.

Yes. All the Asian applicants, including my Lao girlfriend, were given the form. In fact one section is specifically for Cambodian, Laotian, Myanmar and Vietnam passport holders. Quite why some westerners think they are being targeted I don't know.

Archived