First results in UK's historic referendum on EU membership

webfact

HONG KONG (AP) - British pound tumbles to 31-year low as EU vote results show 'leave' side in lead.

It's the Euro's future that should now be in doubt.

That will come when the EU release the held back report on the financial state of Italy and Spain.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pound hits 31-year low as leave side takes lead in EU vote

HONG KONG (AP) — The pound has slumped to its lowest in more than three decades as results on Britain's vote on European Union membership give the "leave" side a small but growing lead.

The currency tumbled to $1.3463 on Friday, which was its lowest level in 31 years.

Uncertainty over the vote's outcome has kept world currency markets on edge.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-06-24

Anna Botting says the Out campaign has won Birmingham by 3,500 votes. Waiting for an official declaration.

This is the first time I have really seen every person's vote count.

The people of the UK are making their voice heard and it is having a dramatic effect. Not like the General Election where 4m votes, for example, counted for nothing.

Here, every single vote counts and it is a truly independent representation of the Kingdom.

It really does look as if 'leave' are going to win. How wrong was I in thinking the bookies had it right?!

Assuming the 'leave' vote carries the day, hopefully it will lead to a huge shake-up for politicians as they realise the electorate have had enough of their policies - advantaging themselves and big business, without any care for the poor or average.

For the very reasons you cite you the EU will not be playing hardball with anyone.

The more the EU throws tantrums, the more it will cause others to rethink their current positions.

You know, an Europe with a first circle limited to Germany, France, Italy and Spain would suit me perfectly.
Furthermore the brexit that english people had the courage to vote breaks a little the US tutelage. And it suits me still more.

Save

Well done GREAT BRITAIN. Democracy speaking loud and clear. Democracy returning to our own hands.

There's a few tough years ahead, but, this wasn't about short term gains or falls.

This wasn't about any MP or businessman. Its about protecting the United Kingdom and our future generations from the failed EU and being in control of our own Parliment and courts. No country on earth should have a foreign parliament control vital laws, courts, the way of life of another country.

I hope all,other members of the EU have their referendums and vote out.

We are a smart nation, we will get through a tough few years and flourish. We will still be the world's financial center, we will still have huge exports. If we make mistakes, and we will make mistakes, then they are our mistakes, not a Bulgarians.

This is the right thing to do.

Its a bit depressing though for those of us living in Thailand, as the exchange rate has gone from 51 (point something) first thing this a.m., to 47 (point something) now.

London market's yet to open. Bloodbath.

Damage control will start tomorrow in the UK.......and continue for the next 20 to 40 years.....

it won't take that long, no where near it. We as a nation are way smarter than that. We are not the 5th largest economy in the World for no reason.

Its a bit depressing though for those of us living in Thailand, as the exchange rate has gone from 51 (point something) first thing this a.m., to 47 (point something) now.

BoE & US Fed reserve are on standby for damage limitation but it's going to be a rough opening

Hopefully things will stabilise?

I'd be more worried in the medium term if I was reliant on Euro's.

We chose to live here and know potential pit falls.

Archived