Super algae solution for bleached Phi Phi coral

webfact

Super algae solution for bleached Phi Phi coral
Phuket Gazette

pkt.jpeg
Red demarcation flags have been set up at coral restoration zones, where swimming and snorkeling is not allowed. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

KRABI: Super algae is to be deployed in the Phi Phi national marine park in a world-first attempt to revive bleached coral.

Bleaching has affected about 80 per cent of the coral in Hat Noppharat Thara – Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park's protected area, said the park's chief Sarayuth Tanthien on June 23.

Mr Sarayuth blamed rapid tourism growth and high sea temperatures for the bleaching.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Super-algae-solution-bleached-Phi-Phi-coral/64117?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-06-24

Hmmmmm....coral bleaching is caused by an increase in temperature which then causes the coral to expel the algae that lives in their tissue. I would hope the water temp has decreased before this attempt. All I see is an exercise in futility otherwise. Would be par for the course otherwise.

Hmmmmm....coral bleaching is caused by an increase in temperature which then causes the coral to expel the algae that lives in their tissue. I would hope the water temp has decreased before this attempt. All I see is an exercise in futility otherwise. Would be par for the course otherwise.

These are Super Algae.......

Doubt if it will work, but somebody will make some money, there will be a party and everybody can congratulate themselves, a few gifts will be handed up to the seniors, a lot of selfies and self-important VIP's will strut around, and a couple will take the microphone and a sting of na kraps and na kas will ensue. A huge amount of wai-ing and then....

,,,and then we hear nothing, ever again.

I think I have been too long in Thailand.

Doubt if it will work, but somebody will make some money, there will be a party and everybody can congratulate themselves, a few gifts will be handed up to the seniors, a lot of selfies and self-important VIP's will strut around, and a couple will take the microphone and a sting of na kraps and na kas will ensue. A huge amount of wai-ing and then....

Yes, you have been here too long. Nobody is making any money on this. And no peeing, pooping, suncream etc. will help the corals.

Yes, you have been here too long. Nobody is making any money on this. And no peeing, pooping, suncream etc. will help the corals.

Nobody making any money????

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Nobody making any money????

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

A very constructive answer based on nothing but cynism.

I doubt the coral needs more nutrients!

What it needs is for speed boats to stop damaging it, people to stop walking on it and touching it, and pollutants from sewerage, sunscreens, and rubbish to stop being put into the sea.

If its died because the sea water got too warm. the only way they will get it to grow back is to cool the sea down.. and that can't be down.. perhaps they are better throwing lots of ice into the sea... just as pointless.

Coral contain zooxanthellae - not blue-green algae. No details are given, but it would do nothing to help the coral directly. Maybe there is some knock on effect which would help, but highly dubious. Or maybe just the usual badly written article.

Archived