EU referendum: BBC forecasts UK votes to leave

webfact

Prime Minister David Cameron says he will step down by October as UK votes to leave EU /BBC

So he's thrown his dummy out of the pram, there was a signed agreement before the referendum by the mp's that he would stay as prime minister whatever the result although for him and Osbourne there was no way they could stay in their positions whatever the result with the speeches they made. The people of the UK have shown they want democracy and I think it's the end of the first part the post voting system and proportional representation coming in and being more representative of what the people want.

Oh god, we got to wait till October till Cameron leaves.

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finally FREEDOM, ,it s historical day for all nations, thank you all Brits, bye bye massive immigration, bye bye Turkey with its 90 million people, bye bye the criminal gangs of eastern Europe, if EU leaders wanted peace in the world they should have supported Assad and Russia and not side with the terrorists.

GREAT BRITAIN will survive and become stronger it sets the example for the rest of us, time for a change.

I'll raise a glass or two tonight.

Time to put the great back into Great Britain.

my gut feeling is, gentlemen, that the exact opposite will occur.

your 'great britain' will split apart. scottland will separate and re - unite with the eu. what will happen to london, the financial hub of europe?

what means do you have to make you great, (again?)?

and apart from that, given the magnitude of this event, the margin of 'win' over 'loose' is way too slim. there will be a lot of disgruntled brits having to live with and suffer from this short sighted decision.

" the margin of 'win' over 'loose' is way too slim."

Some people might say the "win" will make things even more "loose." ... or did you mean "lose?"

In less than an hour after the result was announced, Nicola Sturgeon is already muttering about having to have a second referendum, so we can expect that to be on the agenda again shortly!

She is determined to take Scotland out of the Union, and this is the very excuse she has been waiting for !

The Northern Ireland agreement also had an EU component, so the Republicans will be reviewing that too.

In truth Scotland does not sit well with the UK, just as UK did not with EU. Scotland should go. I don't think the rest of UK would be opposed this time. Why pretend any longer?

Ireland enjoys good relations with UK. Why would that not continue?

"Ireland enjoys good relations with UK. Why would that not continue?"

Do you not understand the difference between Northern Ireland and Ireland?

Prime Minister David Cameron says he will step down by October as UK votes to leave EU /BBC

Understandable. he definitely do not want to be the one in the history who wants to carry out the isolation of the UK of Europe. Or as they say on the island: independence.

Huh? What happened to 'Brits Don't Quit'?

I guess he'll have to Immigrate to Australia (or somewhere) and turn in his UK passport on the way out.

I am absolutely gutted about this decision to leave.
Firstly this should never have gone to a referendum. To allow ill-informed individuals to vote on such a complicated matter was always going to be a mistake. With very little economic reasons to leave it was always going to come down to emotion and the scare mongering of the Leave campaign meant that Bridget and Geoff in Sunderland thought the UK was going to be overrun by immigrants and voted accordingly. Cameron has royally <deleted> this up and must now resign. His fear of Nigel Farage and the racists in his own party forced the UK into this and now everyone will pay the price for his conceit. Also expect the Scottish nationalist to insist on another referendum as Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay and will now insist on independence. And being Scottish myself, I hope this time they get it.
It’s done now and as usual life will go on but why this even got to this stage will be questioned for generations to come and the consequences felt throughout the whole of the UK for many, many years.

It is interesting that it's pro-business that voted Remain while more agricultural and older people went the other way. Reminds me of when Switzerland had a similar referendum (to join or not). Zurich and main business cantons said yes, French speaking, Bern Basel etc said no and the no's won it.

There was then talk of doomsday for Switzerland as well. Didn't happen though. The CHF is practically on par with the Euro (1.08, last I checked, last week)

This is part of the reason why I point to the Muslim invasion as motivation for the "leave" voters. The "ordinary working man" neither fully understands nor cares about macro economics. He cares about the safety of his family, and the preservation of his way of life. While intellectuals preach the philosophy of "open borders" and "one world", the realists who work for a living see the injustice of Sharia Law and absolute suppression of freedom of religion (as well as so many other freedoms suppressed by Islamic rulers).

So, while the article atop this thread, as well as most of the posters here, have focused primarily on the economic issues and impact of the Brexit vote; I must ask again, if the deciding factor in the outcome wasn't the Muslim invasion!

we'll just have to colonise India again...I'm sure they won't mind.....and Burma, Malaysia, most of Africa, bits of South America, they'll be so happy to see us back!?!?!?

Want to give America a shot again? That one didn't end well at all for you, did it? ;-) ... Just to be clear, that WAS a joke. Despite the fiery breakup, England and America are, and, I hope, always shall be the best of friends! :-)

Firstly this should never have gone to a referendum. To allow ill-informed individuals to vote on such a complicated matter was always going to be a mistake. With very little economic reasons to leave it was always going to come down to emotion and the scare mongering of the Leave campaign meant that Bridget and Geoff in Sunderland thought the UK was going to be overrun by immigrants and voted accordingly. Cameron has royally <deleted> this up and must now resign. His fear of Nigel Farage and the racists in his own party forced the UK into this and now everyone will pay the price for his conceit. Also expect the Scottish nationalist to insist on another referendum as Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay and will now insist on independence. And being Scottish myself, I hope this time they get it.

It’s done now and as usual life will go on but why this even got to this stage will be questioned for generations to come and the consequences felt throughout the whole of the UK for many, many years.

It's called democracy. I might agree with you.

Yes Scotland will leave UK, but it no longer fits in so many ways. I think (not sure) Wales, N.Ireland voted out too. If that's right, that's 3-1. If Scotland can't live with that, and I accept it can't, then it has no place in UK.

as someone else stated on this forum before: this is a blatant and convincing display of the short comings of 'democracy'.

giving a bunch of bald - headed old - timers the opportunity to destroy the dreams and ambitions of the young people who will shape our nations was the biggest &lt;deleted&gt; - up in british post - war history.

It is interesting that it's pro-business that voted Remain while more agricultural and older people went the other way. Reminds me of when Switzerland had a similar referendum (to join or not). Zurich and main business cantons said yes, French speaking, Bern Basel etc said no and the no's won it.

There was then talk of doomsday for Switzerland as well. Didn't happen though. The CHF is practically on par with the Euro (1.08, last I checked, last week)

This is part of the reason why I point to the Muslim invasion as motivation for the "leave" voters. The "ordinary working man" neither fully understands nor cares about macro economics. He cares about the safety of his family, and the preservation of his way of life. While intellectuals preach the philosophy of "open borders" and "one world", the realists who work for a living see the injustice of Sharia Law and absolute suppression of freedom of religion (as well as so many other freedoms suppressed by Islamic rulers).

So, while the article atop this thread, as well as most of the posters here, have focused primarily on the economic issues and impact of the Brexit vote; I must ask again, if the deciding factor in the outcome wasn't the Muslim invasion!

IMO, I don't believe so.

It is more the perception that Brussels was making all the important decisions and many of these decisions were not in favour of Britain. Apart from London and the City, a large swath of the country is extremely patriotic and proud to be British (not European).

Culturally, the Europeans are very different from the Brits (you could also argue that the Italians / Spaniards are also very different from the French, Dutch etc). I have never seen an European eating roast dinners or fish and chips, for example. Also, imo, the Brits are a lot less rascist than many Europeans

finally FREEDOM, ,it s historical day for all nations, thank you all Brits, bye bye massive immigration, bye bye Turkey with its 90 million people, bye bye the criminal gangs of eastern Europe, if EU leaders wanted peace in the world they should have supported Assad and Russia and not side with the terrorists.

GREAT BRITAIN will survive and become stronger it sets the example for the rest of us, time for a change.

my gut feeling is, gentlemen, that the exact opposite will occur.

your 'great britain' will split apart. scottland will separate and re - unite with the eu. what will happen to london, the financial hub of europe?

what means do you have to make you great, (again?)?

and apart from that, given the magnitude of this event, the margin of 'win' over 'loose' is way too slim. there will be a lot of disgruntled brits having to live with and suffer from this short sighted decision.

Who cares about Scotland, Leaving the EU woz the right result. Get rid of all the illegal immigrants who are living off our state. And close the borders to these Muslims an other wanna be terrorists.

What you gonna do when that doesn't happen? Find some Brits to pick on?

I remember when all the pundits predicting the demise of the Dollar when the Euro was created. A cartoon I saw showed the Euro standing over the Dollar like Mohammed Ali did after destroying Liston. I said then don't count Dollar out until the count of 10. I thought it would take a war to revive the Dollar but I never thought it would be a civil war in the European Union and England to do it. Look the value of the Euro to Dollar. The world should be happy the reserve currency is the Dollar. The Euro just took an uppercut from its own right hand.

Just wait until Scotland and N Ireland vote to leave. Then it is you and Wales. Not so Great !

Firstly I think N. Ireland and maybe Scotland would be economically better off with the pound than the Euro. I doubt that Ireland can economically cope and support N. Ireland. Scotland will not have it easy going on its own and ultimately join the EU and Euro. The euro is on a slow self destruct and will not be long before it crumbles. This referendum will be the catalyst for Holland, Portugal and even France. So what is left? Germany and a few ex eastern bloc countries. hardly a group I would want to join.

as someone else stated on this forum before: this is a blatant and convincing display of the short comings of 'democracy'.

giving a bunch of bald - headed old - timers the opportunity to destroy the dreams and ambitions of the young people who will shape our nations was the biggest <deleted> - up in british post - war history.

Have you given any thought to the fact that those "bald-headed old-timers", and the millions of their mates who died beside them in WWII, are the reason why you aren't speaking German right now?

NO, the majority in Northern Ireland voted 'Stay' and I hope this too, begins a new referendum about whether they want to stay part of Britain or join the Island of Ireland together and stay within the EU.

This is a real hope that I would love to happen within my life time. It would make economic sense and if the Unionists could just see that then Ireland could become the Celtic tiger again. clap2.gif

It's called democracy. I might agree with you.

Yes Scotland will leave UK, but it no longer fits in so many ways. I think (not sure) Wales, N.Ireland voted out too. If that's right, that's 3-1. If Scotland can't live with that, and I accept it can't, then it has no place in UK.

In less than an hour after the result was announced, Nicola Sturgeon is already muttering about having to have a second referendum, so we can expect that to be on the agenda again shortly!

She is determined to take Scotland out of the Union, and this is the very excuse she has been waiting for !

The Northern Ireland agreement also had an EU component, so the Republicans will be reviewing that too.

In truth Scotland does not sit well with the UK, just as UK did not with EU. Scotland should go. I don't think the rest of UK would be opposed this time. Why pretend any longer?

"the rest of UK"? - what's that!?!?!

Where are all the people who said the baht was going to crash?! A pint of milk will be about 5baht now. Rice will probably be something we can get in the uk to bring back to Bangkok. Even cheaper holidays in the UK for years to come.

Will pensioners be able to live in Thailand any more?

All this because the daft politicos asked the people what they thought. Bless.

Cherio Brits, without your negative contribution the EU has now a lot more money to spend on countries in real need. No more rebates, farm subsidies etc. for leeches. Hurray.

LOL..in 2015 the UK contributed 12.5% of the EU budget, and is number 3 on the list after France and Germany...so your comment about leeches is hysterical...so unless your french or German...you could in fact be defined as a leech if your European

clap2.gif

When was the last time Britain was great? The Empire? Faintly remember Rhodesia being handed over. The past is long gone for "Great" Britain.

What a bonus - Cameron has gone!! What is worrisome is that we could have Laurel (AKA as Boris Johnson)) and Hardy (AKA Donald trump) leading two of the worlds most powerful and influential nations!!

There is absolutely no way the UK is going to stop immigration, so many industries have become completely dependent on them, expect immigrants from poorer countries in the future.

NOTICE: I will not be responding to those who are apparently so devoid of educated arguments and factual information that they choose to respond to my detailed comments with nothing more than personal insults and petty invective. ... Thank you.

This statementis false

The decision launches a yearslong process to renegotiate trade, business and political links between the United Kingdom and what will become a 27-nation bloc, an unprecedented divorce that could take decades to complete."

What happens now is at the UK's own pace. Firstly article 50 of the EU treaty had to be enacted by the UK this can be done whenever the UK decides to do so this then gives a 24 month (2 years) process to disentangle all UK dealings with EU.

I suspect it will be up to 6 months before article 50 is enacted as a lot of back room negotiates will now start with UK and other EU Goverments. Regarding trade ect ect. As usual press jump to wrong conclusions and try to panic people. As for the £drop in value was to be expected don't panic it will return.

Agree, the EU needs the 30billion USD a month trade. It has also now lost a significant financial contribution to the EU.

it is not in the EU's best interest to shut the doors, the Eurosceptics will jump on this like a flash if the EU react emotionally.

Also, Britain leaving will fuel the eurosceptics, So, the message to the EU is "you have lost your number 2 economy, time to think about why and what needs to change"

Turkey are also calling for new EU talks, so might be a domino effect. (Although not in the EU they are in line to join and are negotiating)

But I suspect this will calm down in the near future, the pound will regain its loses and some money traders will gain a fortune.

Being British I am a little worried but also proud that the people made the choice and the Government are in acceptance of that democratic decision. A lot of countries could learn from this example,, the people come first, politicians are servants of the people.

You sir are a racist and therefore your views and comments are not welcome in a civilized debate. There is no Sharia law in the Uk and there never will be. This illusion of a muslim invasion is exactly that; an illusion and fortunately sane people with a proper and respectful perspective on matters are here to tell you where to get off.

"the rest of UK"? - what's that!?!?!

In this case England, Scotland, and Wales. When Scotland go, the UK will not be disbanded. It will still be called UK. It may be some Scottish boroughs and Islands will also choose to become part of UK. We'll have to wait and see.

Archived