An English Breakfast

Boon Mee

"Every day" she said. More like once a week for me, usually on a Sunday. Cholesterooooooooooooooooool!

Now, lets talk about the items on the plate. The air head who said the sausage looked like a hot dog...damn! During my time in the US I couldn't find a sausage, only wieners, which I wouldn't touch with a barge pole (this was 1999 by the way, maybe things have improved since then on the sausage front.) Bacon: only streaky (that's what we call American bacon. We have it too, but we call it streaky.) Never been a bit fan of eating fat. I always burn it to a crisp. I had Canadian bacon and that was similar to English bacon, but not as good. Let's not get started on eggs...over easy <deleted> is that? I want to dip into the yolk, and not have a squash ball on my plate, thanks.

Tomatoes for me are from a can. I find fresh tomatoes a little bitter. I heat up a couple of tinned tomatoes in a pan and drain the excess juice, lovely. Here's one that freaks people out...I don't heat my beans. I have them straight from the can. I've only met three other people who eat them like that. Fried mushrooms are a must. Black pudding F OFF. I'm half Scottish and I can't stand the stuff. Now, if you want something from Scotland that will make your breakfast awesome, that's "Slab" or more commonly know as sausage meat. It comes in a large block that you slice and fry. It's amazing.

Fried slice, once a month! After you cook all the meat, drop bread into the pan until it soaks up everything and goes crispy. The guy thought it was cooked in butter, but no. This is probably the worst thing a human could eat, pure grease.

You can eat an English breakfast in a much more healthy way. Use a griddle pan for your bacon and sausages (don't add oil, you will be amazed as to how much oil comes out of the meat.) Fry eggs in water. Three quarter fill a frying pan with water, add a little malt vinegar to help with sticking, bring to a simmer and add eggs, cover with a lid from a large pot. Here's the trick, the water wants to brim over, so you need to keep lifting the lid and peeping. The eggs will be done in about 30 seconds and won't be coated in oil. And no fried slice.

The last point, brown sauce or ketchup? Personal choice or frame of mine, but don't have both.

Roll on Sunday!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/27/2017 at 4:14 PM, chickenslegs said:

Just needed some fried potatoes, a doorstop of bread and (Irish) butter, and a massive mug of Tetley's tea.

Also - beans in a tiny bowl? Gentrification at its very worst.

Think the beans in a bowl makes sense. I only enjoy baked beans and the sauce if they are pipng hot. The bowl keeps them hotter and then you don't get the cold bean sauce all over the rest of your plate! Couldn't agree more about the fried potatoes and big mug of Tetleys though!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived