Ammco Bus - Terrible Experience Today

Cam Khao

I've used the Ammco bus service from Chong Chom border to Siem Reap a couple of times in the past.

It was great, 350 Baht, including a free tuk tuk in Siem Reap to take you to your hotel.

But both times I used it before, I was the only person on the nice big aircon bus.

Now it seems they have killed the service.

I called up yesterday to reserve a ticket. Got to the border today, met the ticket guy same as last time.

And then he tells me no bus today, but a taxi will take me for the same price. I end up waiting 2 hours for the taxi driver to find some more people to fill up the seats. I was crammed in the back, no room.

We finally get to Siem Reap 3 hours later than the bus would have got there. And of course, the taxi driver has no change, I ended up giving him 800 Baht instead of 350. He finds me a tuk tuk, when I get out of the tuk tuk he wants paying as well, even though the taxi driver was supposed to take are of it.

So be aware, it looks like the great Ammco bus service is dead.

But both times I used it before, I was the only person on the nice big aircon bus.

seems to me they HAD to cancel if u were the only one on the bus,

why didn't u arrange ur own taxi?

And of course, the taxi driver has no change, I ended up giving him 800 Baht instead of 350.

?? why? makes no sense, sorry but seems u didn't use ur head and expected to much

I'm not sure how you end up giving someone 800 Baht because they have no change. 1,000 Baht maybe, 500 Baht maybe, even 400 Baht (all of which are possible combinations of Thai notes which no change would be forthcoming from). 800 Baht? That's umm 500 and 3 x 100s. You could have kept 300 Baht from that.

Same in USD. $10 = 350 Baht, $20 = 700 Baht. It would be impossible to pay 800 Baht unless you were trying to overpay.

Expecting a private taxi plus tuk-tuk for 350 Baht from the border to Siem Reap? That's also ridiculously naive.

It's real simple, I only had 1,000 Baht notes.

He only had 200 Baht worth of Riel in change. I was expecting to pay a proper representative of a bus company, who would have made change. Not a dodgy taxi driver.

And you are missing my point, I booked a bus ticket, at a fixed price. The representative of the bus company, told me that as they had cancelled the bus, they would arrange a taxi at the same price.

Expecting to get from the border, to SR, with a free tuk tuk pickup, is not ridiculous, I have done it twice before, with that used to be a reputable bus company.

http://www.ammcobus.com/

Unfortunately, this company seems to have lost it's edge. Which was the reason for my warning post.

Actually it sounds like they have simply cancelled a service that wasn't turning a profit.

And to be fair, he did arrange a taxi at the same cost. He didn't say a private taxi with you as the only passenger, he said a taxi, which in inter-provincial travel in Cambodia means a share taxi with others in it.

The issue with the taxi driver and change was not the bus company's doing.

It's real simple, I only had 1,000 Baht notes.

He only had 200 Baht worth of Riel in change. I was expecting to pay a proper representative of a bus company, who would have made change. Not a dodgy taxi driver.

And you are missing my point, I booked a bus ticket, at a fixed price. The representative of the bus company, told me that as they had cancelled the bus, they would arrange a taxi at the same price.

Expecting to get from the border, to SR, with a free tuk tuk pickup, is not ridiculous, I have done it twice before, with that used to be a reputable bus company.

http://www.ammcobus.com/

Unfortunately, this company seems to have lost it's edge. Which was the reason for my warning post.

?? to much trouble to say in SR when you arrived, "wait a minute while i get change"

It's Cambodia.......

Thanks for the info. You are the only one person posting on this neglected route and your info is helping others. Sorry for the experience and thanks again to share the troubles in detail.

Posts like your make this forum worthwhile.

One question and you might be the one who knows the answer: There is also a PP-Osmach bus service running through Siem Reap. I understand leaves early in the morning while the return trip comes through SR early afternoon. Do you happen to have any experience or info concerning this service?

Again, thanks for the info and dont be discouraged by smart answers without content.

No surprises that this route was cut, since it only ran from Siem Reap to/from O'Smach, which is an isolated border crossing of not much interest to anyone. Now if the Thais and Khmers were to open a service connecting Surin with Siem Reap using the same bus, as they have talked about before, that would attract some locals and travelers. However, before that happens I think a Sihanoukville-Koh Kong-Trat service would be more profitable. Again, there has been talk of this route too.

I agree with Tomtom, that would be great.

Neglected route : by public transport. Very few use their own car to go from Thailand to Cambodia. I have fond memories of the stretch from 2003. Is there still that old Russian tank decorating the highway? In those days the road was pretty rough and only passable in dry weather. They even had some djungle left south of Osmach.

I hope the PP-Osmach bus is still running. I might check that in PP this week.

I agree with Tomtom, that would be great.

Neglected route : by public transport. Very few use their own car to go from Thailand to Cambodia. I have fond memories of the stretch from 2003. Is there still that old Russian tank decorating the highway? In those days the road was pretty rough and only passable in dry weather. They even had some djungle left south of Osmach.

I hope the PP-Osmach bus is still running. I might check that in PP this week.

Amongst the reasons why very few use their own cars to travel between Thailand and Cambodia (in either direction) is because of the lack of an agreement between the two countries on cross-border traffic rights for private vehicles. There is also no insurance coverage for Thai vehicles entering Cambodia; it's all at your "own risk".

​Cambodia only allows entry at a couple of entry points and in theory doesn't allow travel outside the border province entered. Thailand has also had the same rules, but only started enforcing it in earnest after the law was changed back in April, on June 27th. This means Cambodian vehicles must cross back the same way they came, making sure not to leave the border province. With special permission obtained in advance and going on a tour, they can enter and proceed to other provinces. In the past, some Cambodian vehicles were sneaking to other provinces and there was no problem doing this, but now it's no longer possible.

Should Cambodia finally sign an agreement with Thailand this would likely change.

Russian tank? Can't remember seeing it, but I have only entered there once. Whereabouts exactly is it located? The road from O'smach to highway 6 has very little traffic and is in a relatively good condition; one of the better roads in the whole country. Few potholes and apart from a few hills just south of the border is very flat. Highway 6 near Siem Reap becomes a bit potholed nearing the city.

• 5 weeks later...

Thursday (4.8.2016) morning bus from O´smach 9am, Took 3 hours to Siam reap. Bus is smaller now, I think 20 seats. 4 passenger on board
This man in front of bus is Ammco agent in O´smach. Orange jacket, easy to identify.  Cambodia visa was now 1300 Thb.

ammco.jpg

You are one of the few people traveling the route and reporting on it. This info will help many people who are tired with the Poipet zoo. Also it opens a much better route to Isaan and the North like CR and CM.

I m pretty sure that the guesthouses and hotels in SR do their best to keep this a secret.

Fine job!

However, with the rate of usage reported (2 passengers on a bus!) can't expect the bus service to remain open much longer. The Osmach-SR route is I think mainly used by Thai-based tours which use chartered buses.

• 10 months later...

I rode the Ammco bus from Siem Reap to Osmach.  I was told they are now down to one bus a day, leaving at 8am from City Angkor Hotel parking lot (at the same time an 8am bus leaves Osmach for Siem Reap).  Cost was Bht350/person.  It's a 22 seater bus and there were about 8 people on board.  We left at 8am as scheduled and arrived at Osmach at 10:40am.  I was on the Chong Jom to Surin van (Bht45/person) by 11:30am and arrived in Surin by 1pm.  ChongJom-Surin vans are very frequent, so no need to worry about waiting a long time. 

**Best to book in advance ** with Ammco as the driver will wait for you if you have booked.  I called their Cambodian listed numbers on their website in advance, but nobody answered and instead had to call the Thai hotline to book.  Overall, the experience was great and I will go this route again. 

The guesthouse I was staying at was eager to sell me a car for US$90 and advised there were no buses, so the service is not well known. 

• 3 months later...
On 6/27/2016 at 7:30 PM, mike2011 said:

Thanks for the info. You are the only one person posting on this neglected route and your info is helping others. Sorry for the experience and thanks again to share the troubles in detail.

Posts like your make this forum worthwhile.

One question and you might be the one who knows the answer: There is also a PP-Osmach bus service running through Siem Reap. I understand leaves early in the morning while the return trip comes through SR early afternoon. Do you happen to have any experience or info concerning this service?

Again, thanks for the info and dont be discouraged by smart answers without content.

This is late answer,but...positive one.There is indeed bus between PP and Osmach.We used it half a year ago.It is day bus.Bus stop is not the same as as Amco,it is located near exit gate(customs check point) between

duty free area and Osmach village.Departure time is morning(7-8 am)

in PP and Osmach,comfort is so,so..Price?12$?.In Osmach village there are quite a few cheap hotels or guest houses.

• 4 months later...

I used the Ammco bus from chong chom to Siemreap recently (5 March 2018). Service was very good, clean bus with aircon. Friendly rep from Ammco met us in O'smach (Cambodian side at Chongchom border crossing) at about 7.15 am and the bus left at around 7.45 , as we were the only people on the bus there was no reason to wait till the scheduled time at 8am.We arrived ,in Siemreap at around 10.45 am might be worth noting that the bus didn't, terminate at the Angkor city hotel as advertised, but instead stopped at the Ammco booking office in the center of Siem reap. Which was actually better for us as it was nearer our hotel ! 

The return journey was equally smooth.The scheduled departure time was 3pm (5am is also an option) we (6 people) again arrived a little early at around 2.15pm and the bus was there at 2.30 and again as we were the only passengers it departed immediately and arrived at O'smach / Chongchom at around 5.50 pm. All in all a good service

There's  a few points I would mention for the benefit of other potential customers. Firstly, having spoken to the Ammco rep (he''s a nice guy) he told me that the minimum people he needs on the bus is 5 passengers which is understandable as it is quite a large bus with around 25 seats so it is essential that you contact them first(0985851914) if you are less than 5 people he will probably be able to organise a taxi for around the same price. Or if you are flexible with your travel dates you could travel with another group to make up the numbers. They are considering buying a minibus in the future so this may change. Secondly the Thai side of the border, Chongchom, opens at 6am but the Visa office on the Cambodian side only opens at 6.30 am. There were 3 Europeans in our group who needed Visas (1500 baht each, they don't like dollars ! Don't forget your photo !!) And 3 Thai ''s who don't need visas for up to 14 days but who still also need to have fingerprint's taken and get stamped in, they had to pay 100 baht too. We were all done by about 7.15 but I think it could be busier so best to get there early.

It's a much nicer border than Aranya and convenient for people who are already in Issan especially for us as we live in Kapchoeng. It's not widely advertised but hopefully if it becomes better known the bus service may  get even  better/more regular.

Hope this helps   cheers

Archived