Young British backpacker found dead in Cambodian guesthouse while on dream Asia trip

geovalin

Young British backpacker found dead in Cambodian guesthouse while on dream Asia trip
JS93311997.jpg

Ira Tilley, 26, was found dead in his bed at a guest house in the Cambodian capital

PHNOM PENH:-- Tributes have been paid to a British backpacker who was found dead while on a dream trip to Cambodia.

Ira Tilley, 26, had only been travelling for a few weeks when he was found in his bed at a guest house in the capital of Phnom Penh on Tuesday.

Staff at the Mad Monkey Guest House made the tragic discovery when they realised he hadn't come out of his room, the Chronicle Live reported .

Keen footballer Ira, from Tynemouth, North Tyneside, had gone travelling around Asia and last month said goodbye to friends and family back on Geordie soil.

Read more :

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/young-british-backpacker-found-dead-8278070

Suspected 'heart attack' that's usually how Cambodia reports accidental heroin overdose, from taking otherwise safe cocaine sized doses.

It’s the Golden Triangle effect at work – with so much of it being produced next door, heroin is pretty easy to come by in Cambodia. It’s easy to get and purer than what is sold in Europe or in the U.S. It’s so cheap, dealers will sell heroin as “cocaine”… leading to all those unfortunate “heart attacks” in the news.

Suspected 'heart attack' that's usually how Cambodia reports accidental heroin overdose, from taking otherwise safe cocaine sized doses.

It’s the Golden Triangle effect at work – with so much of it being produced next door, heroin is pretty easy to come by in Cambodia. It’s easy to get and purer than what is sold in Europe or in the U.S. It’s so cheap, dealers will sell heroin as “cocaine”… leading to all those unfortunate “heart attacks” in the news.

I find your post very offensive. With nothing but great, warm and loving things to say about him, the first thing any of this young man's family or friends would see if they happen upon this thread is your tasteless and unnecessary post. Whether you think you're providing "information" or just being a nasty troll, you should be ashamed for the inference.

Its the Golden Triangle effect at work with so much of it being produced next door, heroin is pretty easy to come by in Cambodia. Its easy to get and purer than what is sold in Europe or in the U.S. Its so cheap, dealers will sell heroin as cocaine leading to all those unfortunate heart attacks in the news.

http://travelwireasia.com/2015/10/drug-use-cambodia/

Meant to say to the above poster. You are pathetic. No idea what happened to this poor man and you are spouting vile words on something you know nothing about. Hope you feel ashamed of yourself. If not you need a long hard look at your self.

RIP young fella

I find your post very offensive. With nothing but great, warm and loving things to say about him, the first thing any of this young man's family or friends would see if they happen upon this thread is your tasteless and unnecessary post. Whether you think you're providing "information" or just being a nasty troll, you should be ashamed for the inference.

I meant no disrespect at all. Recreational cocaine use isn't anything to be ashamed of, when you're sold heroin unknowingly though it's deadly.

This happens on a frequent basis in Cambodia. It should be mentioned in every thread as a warning to others. 26 year olds don't tend to die of heart attacks.

I would expect friends and family to read the original news story, in The Mirror, a major news outlet that would outrank Thaivisa in any Google search.

Meant to say to the above poster. You are pathetic. No idea what happened to this poor man and you are spouting vile words on something you know nothing about. Hope you feel ashamed of yourself. If not you need a long hard look at your self.

RIP young fella

I'm not casting aspersions on the young man at all, I have friends that died in this way. It's well known amongst expats in Cambodia that 'heart attack' is the local media covering up white heroin being sold as cocaine. It's not being talked about enough. My grievance is with the media and local authorities.

I think you read something in my post that wasn't there.

Maybe I did read a lttle too much into your post and for that I apologize. Also I retract calling you pathetic as you made a point but still I do think it was in bad taste to immediately post theories of substance abuse. You could have worded your post a lot better and perhaps shown a little more empathy to the victim and his family and friends that may or may not read this.

I meant no disrespect at all. Recreational cocaine use isn't anything to be ashamed of, when you're sold heroin unknowingly though it's deadly.

This happens on a frequent basis in Cambodia. It should be mentioned in every thread as a warning to others. 26 year olds don't tend to die of heart attacks.

I would expect friends and family to read the original news story, in The Mirror, a major news outlet that would outrank Thaivisa in any Google search.

Thaivisa is kind of irrelevant on this topic.

Khmer440.com will surely have the latest information. I'd be going there.

Thaivisa is kind of irrelevant on this topic.

Khmer440.com will surely have the latest information. I'd be going there.

Yeah I just checked and posters there mention the same thing I did.

And then someone who was there the night he died and spoke to him confirms it was a drug overdose.

Conflicting reports from hospital and embassy staff though, some saying morphine some saying valium (also often taken recreationally).

Where is your evidence he died of a heroin overdose?? I'm not saying he didn't die of a heroin over dose.. Maybe he did.

But until there is hard, factual proof.... then you are jumping to conclusions.... simply guessing..

And yes.... there is the odd time a young person can die of a heart problem.. including heart attack... for various reasons. I worked with a young woman in her mid 30's who worked out regularly at the gym... watched what she ate.... fit as a fiddle.. (Quite a beautiful girl actually and not an extra ounce of fat on her)

One day she had a heart seizure and was dead in minutes.. What a shock to everyone who knew her.

The autopsy showed she had a serious problem with her heart... that even she was not aware of.. There were no drugs in her system. She didn't smoke tobacco..

(She was even against marijuana, although she liked the odd glass of red wine.)

It was a shocking surprise to everyone.. Count your days... and be thankful for every day you're here. We never know.....

Heart attacks are not confined exclusively to the elderly.

They have cocaine in southeast Asia ? REAL cocaine? I thought it only grew in South America. Or are they now growing it in southeast Asia also... Maybe in Indonesia or Malaysia ? ?

Or are they also selling Meth... and calling it cocaine ? Next thing you know... they'll be selling mescaline in south east Asia. (Or are they doing so already?)

If it looks like a duck, quacks

Like a duck, walks like a duck,

IT''S A DUCK... drugs!

Is that a quote by the Scotland Yard, by any chance? A young man died, whether or not ducks do drugs is irrelevant.

RIP young man – and to the family: as someone who recently lost a son in his early twenties, I would like to express my deepest sympathies for what you're going through at the moment.

Is it just me? Or has Thai Visa Forum become inundated with whinny butt posters...who add nothing to the subject of the post...but prefer to be hyper-critical of others who actually do post...try actually posting to the subject...you may find you like it better than bashing other posters...

Get a grip...not a gripe!

Where is your evidence he died of a heroin overdose?? I'm not saying he didn't die of a heroin over dose.. Maybe he did.

But until there is hard, factual proof.... then you are jumping to conclusions.... simply guessing..

And yes.... there is the odd time a young person can die of a heart problem.. including heart attack... for various reasons. I worked with a young woman in her mid 30's who worked out regularly at the gym... watched what she ate.... fit as a fiddle.. (Quite a beautiful girl actually and not an extra ounce of fat on her)

One day she had a heart seizure and was dead in minutes.. What a shock to everyone who knew her.

The autopsy showed she had a serious problem with her heart... that even she was not aware of.. There were no drugs in her system. She didn't smoke tobacco..

(She was even against marijuana, although she liked the odd glass of red wine.)

It was a shocking surprise to everyone.. Count your days... and be thankful for every day you're here. We never know.....

Heart attacks are not confined exclusively to the elderly.

I didn't say he did, I said 'usually'. Then I already explained I didn't mean any disrespect. It just usually is the case in Cambodia for 20something males.

I could've wrapped my post up in more political correctness and said 'I have no evidence' and 'maybe this is the 1% of cases where a 26 year old has a heart attack out of the blue' but that should be self evident.

It has now been confirmed it was a drug overdose, on the Khmer440 forums.

It happens so frequently that ignoring the elephant in the room is actually worse, you could cause more deaths by not wanting to offend people.

They have cocaine in southeast Asia ? REAL cocaine? I thought it only grew in South America. Or are they now growing it in southeast Asia also... Maybe in Indonesia or Malaysia ? ?

Or are they also selling Meth... and calling it cocaine ? Next thing you know... they'll be selling mescaline in south east Asia. (Or are they doing so already?)

They sell white heroin as cocaine, because heroin is cheap here, and the dealers have zero ethics. They don't care that a cocaine sized dose of heroin is lethal.

This has happened in Amsterdam too - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tragic-pals-died-after-mistaking-5385556

And Thailand - http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/court_and_police/52561/maltese_national_34_dead_in_bangkok_hotel_from_heroin_overdose

Well said mate.

Is it just me? Or has Thai Visa Forum become inundated with whinny butt posters...who add nothing to the subject of the post...but prefer to be hyper-critical of others who actually do post...try actually posting to the subject...you may find you like it better than bashing other posters...

Get a grip...not a gripe!

Well said! Love your avatar.

I find his post to be oh so true! what 26 year old athlete has a heart attack? and the young people are so nieve to believe that you can take a southeast asia "dream"t rip without consequences?give me a break! and most of them do KNOW how cheap drugs are here!

A crass and insensitive post has been removed.

This is not a matter for jokes. A young man lost his life, parents have lost a son. Please remember that relatives not only may be, but very often are, reading this in an effort to get information - it pops up in any google search.

• 1 year later...
On 26 juin 2016 at 7:32 AM, jspill said:

Yeah I just checked and posters there mention the same thing I did.

And then someone who was there the night he died and spoke to him confirms it was a drug overdose.

Conflicting reports from hospital and embassy staff though, some saying morphine some saying valium (also often taken recreationally).

nothing is better than Mary jane no violence can't  od or nothing, worst thing happens is you just doze off. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/06/2016 at 10:06 AM, jspill said:

Fact: Anyone, any age can die from a heart attack. Are you are qaulified medical professional or just speculating? 

Archived