Tutor English after school.

I live in BKK big apartment building. Some Thai kids where I live want me to help them with their English homework. One - on - one and for one hour per kid. I'm English speaker. Not teacher. This is tutor only. What do I charge for this by the hour?? Thanks you for your suggestions...

Remember you are effectively working and without a work permit you are putting yourself in danger of being kicked

out the country.

I would not do it. Your willingness is great but I dont think it is worth the potential problems you may experience.

"

Moving from Pattaya to Bangkok

2016-02-23 11:25:47

I need one of those baht bus sized trucks with a covered back and a mover to move to Bkk. Anyone have some refferals and/or cost?? I need help to load and unload. I'm in Pratumnak. Thank you!!"
"The guy has given me tons of rides over the last 3 years! He was a VERY NICE OLD GUY who never did anything bad to any of his customers!!!!! "
How did a Bangkok taxi guy give you so many rides over the last 3 years, when you only moved to Bangkok at the end of February?

" Moving from Pattaya to Bangkok

2016-02-23 11:25:47

I need one of those baht bus sized trucks with a covered back and a mover to move to Bkk. Anyone have some refferals and/or cost?? I need help to load and unload. I'm in Pratumnak. Thank you!!"

"The guy has given me tons of rides over the last 3 years! He was a VERY NICE OLD GUY who never did anything bad to any of his customers!!!!! "

How did a Bangkok taxi guy give you so many rides over the last 3 years, when you only moved to Bangkok at the end of February?

If no preparation is involved at least 500 bht an hour and 10 hours up front. Get your cancellation rules straight from the start or you will be left sitting and waiting for nothing at times. If preparation is involved and this becomes teaching/tutoring... at least 700-1000 bht an hour.

Make your expectations regarding cancellations clear!

The idea of putting yourself at risk is minimal.

So long as you don't tread on anyone's toes or upset anyone you will be OK.

I spent a while teaching the kids of the tax office and the labour department. They don't really worry too much about it.

I pretty much agree with lazy slipper and puchooay! As long as you do not piss off a Thai who has some connections or a foreigner who can just call immigration and report you, then you will be fine. I have had students of police officers and other high ranking positions. Thailand really does not really care as long as they see some kind of result in their child's progress.

If no preparation is involved at least 500 bht an hour and 10 hours up front. Get your cancellation rules straight from the start or you will be left sitting and waiting for nothing at times. If preparation is involved and this becomes teaching/tutoring... at least 700-1000 bht an hour.

You wont get that. Where I live in Bangkok the standard rate is 300 to 400 baht an hour. You would probably get 500 an hour, that is what we paid for my daughter but I would say that is the limit

You wont get that. Where I live in Bangkok the standard rate is 300 to 400 baht an hour. You would probably get 500 an hour, that is what we paid for my daughter but I would say that is the limit

I agree with gandalf. 500 baht is reasonable for 1 hour, 1-on-1. The days of Thai's paying more than 500 baht an hour has gone as they are feeling the pinch.

An English teacher at my school tried to charge 200 baht per hour for tutoring. The parents all got together and made a complaint about him being 'greedy' and threatened to all cancel immediately if he didn't reduce the rate to 100 baht. So now he charges 100 baht per hour for private tutoring. The parents were quite furious that he dared to attempt to charge them 200.

An English teacher at my school tried to charge 200 baht per hour for tutoring. The parents all got together and made a complaint about him being 'greedy' and threatened to all cancel immediately if he didn't reduce the rate to 100 baht. So now he charges 100 baht per hour for private tutoring. The parents were quite furious that he dared to attempt to charge them 200.

100 THB per hour per student is not bad if you teach a group of 10-15 students.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone posted on another thread somewhere (I can't find it right now) , that they were threatened with jail if they teach more private students at home.

They were told that they could teach a maximum of 7 students in one term .

I am not sure whether it was a troll or not as I can't find it now.

Someone posted on another thread somewhere (I can't find it right now) , that they were threatened with jail if they teach more private students at home.

They were told that they could teach a maximum of 7 students in one term .

I am not sure whether it was a troll or not as I can't find it now.

Teaching 1 student or 100 students at your home without a valid work permit is illegal. However, I've never heard of any foreigner being busted for not having the work permit to teach at home.

I have been teaching privately for a few years and charge at least 800 Baht per hour. A few years ago, I had several students a week, but at the moment I am down to 2 students per week. Yes, it seems that Thais are more careful with their money these days. I still say "No" to less then 800 per hour.

Having said that I heard of a Thai (!) undergraduate at Chula teaching for 1000 baht an hour. She has found the perfect location as she virtually only teaches in one condo block all day. She teaches from 08.00 to 21,00 or 22.00 every day at the moment as she has summer holidays. Go figure how much she earns! I won't say where this condo is, but it is located right next door to one of the international schools.

Archived