Easy to park a bike around Ao Nang area?

Razzler1973

Simple question really, going to be in Ao Nang for a few days and looking at staying a little back from the beach (seems to be where the best deals are)

I don't have a problem getting a bike for the short drive to the beach area and general exploring, like it actually.

Just wondering if there's plenty of free, streetside parking around Ao Nang (low season anyway) or will I be cursing what is the point of having a bike if you can't park?!?

Is this a frustration around there at all or a 'don't worry about it' thing?

Sure is... every 100m or so along Beach Rd -- bike spaces with angled white lines about a metre apart. No-one was charging last time I was there but just be mindful that some of the motorpike & side-carp taxis sometimes take up these spaces in sweet-spots; near the corners.

Good deals on hotels towards Nopparat Thara Beach and of course off Krabi Town Rd.

Cool, cheers

I expected there would be parking but nothing worse than driving into town only to spend half an hour looking for one spot, about 20 minutes walk from the place you want to go! :P

If there's plenty up and down then that just saves a load of hassle, just keep a bike every day

You should have no problems at all.

If you do come across tuk-tuk or taxi guys that tell you not to park in a certain spot, although you may be in the right, don't argue or make trouble, wish them a nice day and find another spot.

Yeah, no probs with that, I try to park somewhere where I don't think they'll be any beef with the bike. I don't mind a short walk as long as I feel that part of the road is ok to park on.

Generally speaking, if you come down to the beach in the afternoon for a couple of hours swimming is it ok to leave stuff parked in the beach road itself or better to park in the road down to the beach, bit more out of the busy section? Or, not matter really?

If you do come across tuk-tuk or taxi guys that tell you not to park in a certain spot, although you may be in the right, don't argue or make trouble, wish them a nice day and find another spot.

Yeah, no probs with that, I try to park somewhere where I don't think they'll be any beef with the bike. I don't mind a short walk as long as I feel that part of the road is ok to park on.

Generally speaking, if you come down to the beach in the afternoon for a couple of hours swimming is it ok to leave stuff parked in the beach road itself or better to park in the road down to the beach, bit more out of the busy section? Or, not matter really?

On the beach road itself where you see other bikes is fine.

Easier yet is Hat Napparat, 3kms of open parking along the beach. I prefer it over there to Ao Nang main drag.

Easier yet is Hat Napparat, 3kms of open parking along the beach. I prefer it over there to Ao Nang main drag.

Bit of a trek to come back to the main strip for food/drinks though, isn't it?

Bit of a trek to come back to the main strip for food/drinks though, isn't it?

In the OP he says he doesn't mind riding and exploring. Napaarat to Ao Nang strip is not but 2kms.

Anyway, Ao Nang strip for food and drinks is a total tourist ripoff, marginal overpriced food. The only deals on drinks, take out beers at the 7/11, drink them on the seawall at sunset.

Probably the best deal on food in the area are the Thai BBQ restaurants opposite direction from Ao Nang, at the entrance of the park where Hat Napparat road ends. They are old style so you can walk in with your own drinks (big beers or Sangsom bottle and sodas). Can't really do that in Ao Nang.

The OP is me!

I don't mind exploring, for sure and I'll look around but I meant if I am drinking on the main strip, was wondering about parking, safe to leave the bike there, etcI

I'll no doubt have a few drinks there as well as having a mooch around :)

• 1 month later...

Just got back recently and yes, thanks, plenty of street side parking, little white lines, denoting parking spaces. Always prefer that to just leaving a bike there

Even left it in those spots when a did that 4 island tour thingy

Cheers all :)

Archived