Double Hung Windows?

Manassas

My wife likes the operation of western-style double hung windows. I see they're available in Bangkok, but can't find them around here. Not exactly hi-tech, but apparently not part of local building traditions. Has anybody seen a place that can make these?

You may want to do some research into the pros and cons of double hung windows in our climate. If you decide you really want them, it might be best to order from a reputable supplier in Bangkok and use materials which will hold up to our heat and humidity over time.

they are not difficult to make yourself from cheap timber.

a router and a drop saw are the only power tools you need.

these type of windows have great advantages over 'conventional' ones as they require very little hardware, they can be left partially open even in heavy rain and also be easily fitted with fixed external fly screens.

i built a house in australia years ago with 26 identically sized ones and each cost me less than A$ 20 to complete (1991 prizes).

if you can't make them yourself and you can find someone to build them for you in aluminum, don't hesitate.

post-222491-0-27056700-1467021662_thumb.

post-222491-0-45322900-1467021688_thumb.

My suggestion would be not to use wood for windows. Period. Even teak deteriorates in this climate. More importantly, wood shrinks and expands here, resulting in jammed windows or broken glass.

<y father-in-laws house has wooden sashes. After 7 yearsm we have replaced them with alu.

Are they what we call sash cord windows Manfred?

If so I think they would be a big job for a home handyman unless he had some superior skills.

yes, windows using sash cord and weights to control their up / down movement.

just bear with me for a moment, please.

the only reason i suggested building them came from the lack of responses the op received. seems to indicate no one knows if / where you can get them.

i ended up building mine purely because i was running out of money. the factory versions would have been 10 x more expensive.

prior to building them i identified a. which windows i would in fact open on a regular basis, b. which components traditionally built into double-hungs were actually required or could be either eliminated or replaced with other options.

as a result only 7 of the 26 windows were fitted with sash weight which i made from concrete filled copper pipe. the cords were braided high - strength cable pull cord and, fitted to the side of the two window panels, running in a routed track in the sashes / reveals, also acted as a track guide.

for a while i never even had locking hardware but used 2@ 3' nails where top and bottom panel meet to hold the window shut or in a desired position.

i also eliminated the sash access doors usually fitted to get to the weights should the cord break as it seem a lot easier to just unscrew the architrave if need be (never happened in 12 years).

and while i agree with 'rotweiler' that timber windows will eventually rot, windows have been built from wood for centuries and aluminum or plastic windows have other shortcomings as they rely on springs, wheels, hinges and other components that can break and are expensive to replace.

the windows i built were made from framing pine and pallet grade boards for sashes / reveals. in sub - tropical australia they were still functioning ok when i replaced them with aluminum and even than the upper arches were re - used as my 'professional' window maker seemed to be unable to come up with something better.

i had never built a window before in my life, it was a matter of buying / owning the right tools and spending a few days getting things right.

Okay, this is not about windows but an observation about building a house in Thailand. I have found it easier to adapt what is readily available here in Thailand than to adapt something from back home to make it work here. It is much more cost effective and there is a much lower stress factor if you are not introducing too many new ideas or trying to get people to do things they are resistant to doing, while using a language they don’t understand.

Just consider it part of the old 80-20 rule.smile.png
By using what is available you get lager windows, more light, better views and more air circulation when they are open, in my opinion.
Home%2B%2B003.jpg

Okay, this is not about windows but an observation about building a house in Thailand. I have found it easier to adapt what is readily available here in Thailand than to adapt something from back home to make it work here. It is much more cost effective and there is a much lower stress factor if you are not introducing too many new ideas or trying to get people to do things they are resistant to doing, while using a language they don’t understand.

By using what is available you get lager windows, more light, better views and more air circulation when they are open, in my opinion.
Home%2B%2B003.jpg

how much is your electricity bill? you must spend a lot on aircon.

nice home, but, in a valley with a view. like your style.

Home%2B%2B003.jpg

how much is your electricity bill? you must spend a lot on aircon.

nice home, but, in a valley with a view. like your style.

Actually the main living area is not air-conditioned. These windows face North so almost never get direct sunlight and only a small amount at that. The ceiling is quite high too which helps.
By having large windows you can open the house in the morning and swap out the air in the house. The rooms on the south side of the house are air-conditioned, have blackout curtains and plants to help shade the walls and windows.
I do like my comfort, however, so there is usually one room with the A/C on, both night and day when it is hot. That means our electricity bill can range from 2000 to 4000+ depending on the time of year.

Cats%2B%2B003.jpg

I've always been a fan of strong, steel window framing, either embedded in cement or externally, then design anything you like to go inside it. Making the inner construct easily repairable/replaceable and less chance of structural movement damage.

VF's house is a design in itself. Been there several times and it always seems to be cool inside. Having a high ceiling is definitely an A+ in Garry's book of housing preferences :)

Found a guy with experience who did a decent job of constructing our windows. Although single hung rather than double. The big issue was ballast hardware is just not available, so they operate on gravity. But they are small windows so that is acceptable.

Luckily we are building a "guest bungalow" on my wife's land so we are learning from mistakes on the small house before considering making a larger one as our permanent home.

I'm most pleased that our builder came up with a simple solution to the screens-on-the-outside problem. I've seen this debated in many posts. The solution was to spost-149191-0-14953900-1467941553_thumb.post-149191-0-14953900-1467941553_thumb.imply install standard aluminum windows but without screens, then install that preformed cement window trim around the window frame, then make a steel frame to sit in the trim and install the screen. Now the window track slopes to the exterior as it should and the screens are outside. And they are easily removed for window washing.

One of my pet peeves with local window design was having to open the screens to open or close the windows. This lets the pesky insects in, especially at night. Hope this simple idea may be of some help to the next frustrated home builder.

Cheers

post-149191-0-14953900-1467941553_thumb.

post-149191-0-20906400-1467940922_thumb.

Oops, I messed up the photo attachments but first time I tried this.

Personally I have grown fond of my Thai style sliding windows and doors with the screens on the inside. We have a lot of windows and they are all closed at night and many are reopened in the morning. It is nice to stand there with your head sticking out the window having a look around.

There are times when it is very convenient to open both window and screen, like when servicing our A/C units. A little forethought is all that is needed to keep the bugs out or at least minimized. We do have birds attacking their reflections in the windows and perhaps screens on the outside might stop that but I am not sure. I also wonder how well the screens would holdup during our more severe storms.

Personally I have grown fond of my Thai style sliding windows and doors with the screens on the inside. We have a lot of windows and they are all closed at night and many are reopened in the morning. It is nice to stand there with your head sticking out the window having a look around.

There are times when it is very convenient to open both window and screen, like when servicing our A/C units. A little forethought is all that is needed to keep the bugs out or at least minimized. We do have birds attacking their reflections in the windows and perhaps screens on the outside might stop that but I am not sure. I also wonder how well the screens would holdup during our more severe storms.

I agree there is a certain charm in sticking your head out of a fully open window. And screens do restrict your view. But I'm spoiled, and when I sit back to watch a movie or crawl in to bed it just drives me nuts to hear a mosquito buzzing around!

And the old house had those Thai wood windows. It's a major operation to close up in a strong wind every time a storm front rolls through.

• 2 years later...

Hi all! I would like to ask if you guys know any local aluminium / window stores in Chiang Rai? I am working for a non-profitable community project called Build a Music School (https://mlkkbuildamusicschool.wordpress.com/)  (http://buildamusicschool.org/) in Myanmar. Due to budget problem (we rely on donations only) and scarcity of materials there, we are looking into stores in Chiang Rai. Would really appreciate if any locations can be shared as we will visit Chiang Rai in Mid Dec.
Thanks!

On 12/3/2018 at 4:38 PM, conniexmlkk said:

Hi all! I would like to ask if you guys know any local aluminium / window stores in Chiang Rai? I am working for a non-profitable community project called Build a Music School (https://mlkkbuildamusicschool.wordpress.com/)  (http://buildamusicschool.org/) in Myanmar. Due to budget problem (we rely on donations only) and scarcity of materials there, we are looking into stores in Chiang Rai. Would really appreciate if any locations can be shared as we will visit Chiang Rai in Mid Dec.
Thanks!

Can't think of a specific shop off the top of my head. But aluminum window shops are are pretty common. Just look for the stock sitting out front. Quality varies so you have to see their work and also watch the gauge of the aluminum used.

Archived