Jump to content

What are you eating? (food porn)


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, vogie said:

Never tried dry cure, but wet cure is so easy, I use a very basic recipe, can cure it for up to 10 days. The slicer was about 4000baht, it's not as efficient as the ones the pro's use, the blade turns quite slowly, so the bacon has to be put in the freezer for about 1 -1.5 hours before slicing, just so the meat is hardish on the outside but not frozen for ease of slicing.

Vogie,

am i right to assume you slice the bacon and then cure it? if yes, how thick do you cut the slices?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ham, home cured, cooked and thinly sliced), quiche, pineapple unsidedown cake, irish soda bread with raisnins , rare steak and on and on. All made with local ingredients except the steak which was a

So far this week. Greek style pork chops, marinaded and cooked over charcoal. Followed the next day by a rather large pile of calamari fritti. Delicious. Rib chops were large and around 85 baht e

For tonight we have a lovely piece of corned silverside.  Salt beef as it's known in the UK was always a family favourite when I was a boy. Hard to beat a good old fashioned boiled dinner with hot Eng

Posted Images

16 hours ago, vogie said:

I will really depress you now, I make my own breadcakes too, the only thing I don't do is lay my own eggs. Bacon and egg sandwich every morning, you only live once. Here's the breadcakes.

 

20170120_134003.jpg

 

I use your bread recipe but I have modified it a bit to suit my tastes and that of some Aussie mates.

 

Like you I do my own bacon and also ham, sausages, burgers.

 

My honey and mustard dry cure bacon or ham is quite tasty if I say so myself.

 

There is a German restaurant up in Khampaeng Phet  called the Oasis where Mike has built a smoker. His smoked bacon is great so I am told and he also does leberwurst which IS good.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, grollies said:

Mate, thank you for the info. Step son, Thai but 8 years driving Challenger tanks British Army keeps eating it all. A photo of your cut would be great.

My wife asked the lady at the market where the cut came from and she said neck?

1st photo still in the wrapper, both packs weighed about 3kg and cost 470baht.

2nd photo out of the wrapping.

3rd photo in my cure ready for 10ish days in the fridge.

 

 

20180111_174426.jpg

20180111_175405.jpg

20180111_175709.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vogie said:

My wife asked the lady at the market where the cut came from and she said neck?

1st photo still in the wrapper, both packs weighed about 3kg and cost 470baht.

2nd photo out of the wrapping.

3rd photo in my cure ready for 10ish days in the fridge.

 

 

20180111_174426.jpg

20180111_175405.jpg

20180111_175709.jpg

Cheers vogie

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, billd766 said:

 

I use these drawings/photos and my wife explains to the pork lady what cut I want and if she doesn't have it then she rings her supplier and orders it and the dirver usually brings it to the house the next day.

 

For bacon I usually use belly pork or sometimes loin of pork from BigC at 109 baht/kg. For ham I order a whole hind leg, and get my wife to bone it, cut me a couple of kg skin on for a roast pork, she takes some for herself, takes the skin and makes pork scratchings and I use the rest ror bacon.

 

Our neighbours dog gets the bone.

 

A whole leg generally costs about 1,300 baht and is around 11kg with the skin and bone.

 

 

pig drawing 01.gif

pork cuts 01.jpg

pork cuts 02.jpg

pork cuts 03.jpeg

Thanks for that Bill, I used to get my pork from Makro, but no matter what I bought it didn't have the veins of fat running through it, it always tasted bland. But this neck cut has some nice fatty streaks running through it, I'm not even sure if you are supposed to make bacon with it, but it tastes good to me. Have you ever heard of bacon being made with neck?

Have you ever tried making boiled/roast ham out of your hind quarter, I tried it but it tasted a bit dry to me, not like the juicy stuff we get back home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, vogie said:

Thanks for that Bill, I used to get my pork from Makro, but no matter what I bought it didn't have the veins of fat running through it, it always tasted bland. But this neck cut has some nice fatty streaks running through it, I'm not even sure if you are supposed to make bacon with it, but it tastes good to me. Have you ever heard of bacon being made with neck?

Have you ever tried making boiled/roast ham out of your hind quarter, I tried it but it tasted a bit dry to me, not like the juicy stuff we get back home.

 

A few years ago when I first started making my own ham I used a wet cure which included molasses. It wasn't too bad but not so easy to do and I found the molasses at a garden shop in the village. It looks like a thick dirty sump oil but tasted OK.

 

The recipe is here if you want to try it.

 

 

Making cooked ham by Reinhard.doc

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, billd766 said:

 

I use these drawings/photos and my wife explains to the pork lady what cut I want and if she doesn't have it then she rings her supplier and orders it and the dirver usually brings it to the house the next day.

 

For bacon I usually use belly pork or sometimes loin of pork from BigC at 109 baht/kg. For ham I order a whole hind leg, and get my wife to bone it, cut me a couple of kg skin on for a roast pork, she takes some for herself, takes the skin and makes pork scratchings and I use the rest ror bacon.

 

Our neighbours dog gets the bone.

 

A whole leg generally costs about 1,300 baht and is around 11kg with the skin and bone.

 

 

pig drawing 01.gif

pork cuts 01.jpg

pork cuts 02.jpg

pork cuts 03.jpeg

I have just found this on the internet, it looks like I'm doing nothing untoward by using neck for making bacon.

 

Collar/Neck End

The neck end or collar sits above the shoulder and can be divided into the spare rib (not to be confused with the spare ribs that are so popular on the barbecue) and the blade. It is slightly fatty and most often used cured for bacon or inexpensive diced or minced pork. A spare rib roast is an economical cut that benefits from slow cooking.

Edited by vogie
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't tried the neck or the hind quarter yet. I must get my wife to ask next time I order, probably next month.

 

I did a search for hindquarter of pork and found a very interesting web site in the USA with great pictures to download and print out.

 

I don't use Makro for meat very much but they do do odd bacon, ham and sausage scraps if you aren't that fussy what it looks like on the plate. Frozen legs of NZ lamb are OK and so is a lot of the Aussie frozen steak but I don't buy fresh meat from there nor do I buy Thai beef.

 

My mate has found a good beef butcher and so has my neighbour so I may be using those in a while. I need to eat my freezer down to make room for more home cooked pies and pasties.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I haven't tried the neck or the hind quarter yet.

I use the collar, which is part of the neck, for ham.  It's got enough fat running through it that, IMHO,  improves the flavor.  I usually cut it very thin, 1.5mm setting, on the meat slicer and use it for sandwiches. Which reminds me, there's none left in the freezer so it's time to make another one.  I usually use belly for bacon.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CLW said:

Anyone can share a good recipe for pastrami? I can't use pork. Thanks

Do you have a smoker?  Pastrami is smoked!  I make corned beef quite often which is basically the same recipe but is cooked, not smoked. I cook it on low in my slow cooker for 11 hours and then slice it thin,1.5mm, on my meat slicer and use the part that want go through the slicer for corned beef and cabbage,

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Do you have a smoker?  Pastrami is smoked!  I make corned beef quite often which is basically the same recipe but is cooked, not smoked. I cook it on low in my slow cooker for 11 hours and then slice it thin,1.5mm, on my meat slicer and use the part that want go through the slicer for corned beef and cabbage,
I thought it cured as well to keep the red colour?
Unfortunately I have no smoker but I can cook it
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...