Patong tuk-tuk driver, four others, arrested for assault on Swedish tourist

webfact

Patong tuk-tuk driver, four others, arrested for assault on Swedish tourist
The Phuket News

1467081034_1-org.jpg
Police found the Swedish tourist unconscious on Bangla Rd. Photo: Tourist Police

PHUKET: -- Police have arrested one tuk-tuk driver and four other suspects for the assault of a Swedish tourist on Bangla Rd in Patong early yesterday morning (June 27).

Officers were called to Bangla Rd at 3:45am, where they found a Swedish man lying unresponsive on the road. He was soon rushed to Patong Hospital and later taken to Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

The man was identified in the Patong Police report as 32-year-old “Frederik Gustav Wilhelm Erikson Holm”, but named by the Tourist Police as Federik Holm Ericsson Oestlund.

Witnesses told police that the tourist appeared to be drunk when he walked down Bangla Rd. He was reportedly heading to his accommodation but became embroiled in an argument with tuk-tuk driver Natee Dechaoop.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-tuk-tuk-driver-four-others-arrested-for-assault-on-swedish-tourist-58034.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-28

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Setting aside the actions of the cowardly attackers there is a loud message in this story for a lot of people.

Don't stagger home drunk alone at 3.45 am, particularly in Patong or Pattaya.

He is lucky to be alive given the penchant these days to bring out the slash and stab weaponry.

OK .. quick update from the real world .. (not Faragatoia where nothing like this ever happens.)

Here in the real world, and all around it … there are people you simply do not toy with. Taxi Drivers, Construction Workers, Factory Workers, and close friends in a local pub. I think we all know "Ain't gonna end well"

But let’s just focus on Taxi drivers (Tuk Tuk) drivers for a moment.

Long ago and far away, I was a taxi driver in the USA .. one of the large north eastern cites. If we were sitting in queue, and some drunk came along and got into someone’s business .. what do you think we did? Sit there with our thumbs up our arse and watch it all unfold ???

Of course not. Why. We relied on each other for safety, and there is safety in numbers. And if you did NOT lend a hand, do you think the lads would lift a finger when your number came up?

Since it was USA … many many drivers carried a gun. I personally carried a police baton and a fishing gaff. That is correct. A large tuna hand gaff and a club.

Let me tell you .. at 3 AM, when two large guys had me alone on the street, and I showed them the gaff … it really was like a movie. I said “OK, there are two of you and one of me .. but know one thing for certain … ONE of you gets the gaff, FOR SURE”

They walked away.

I am so tired of the Right Honorable Representatives of Farangatopia acting like it is different here in Thailand than other places.

Gents … there is nothing new under the sun … you throw down one too many, grow some “whisky muscles” … F with the bull … and get the horns.

Same same … EVERYWHERE

(Except in your imagination)

Only five against him, lucky swede.

our income comes from tourists so lets beat them up
Apparently...

That was the case.

Drunk and embroiled in an argument with tuk-tuk driver..

I'll assume it was over $$..

Anyway...

Looks like a 4 man job for 50 kg Thai man..

One on one is not always fair fight..

And the name of the game, is not to get your ass kicked or watch a friend get beat up..

And there are no rules in a street fight..

OK .. quick update from the real world .. (not Faragatoia where nothing like this ever happens.)

Here in the real world, and all around it … there are people you simply do not toy with. Taxi Drivers, Construction Workers, Factory Workers, and close friends in a local pub. I think we all know "Ain't gonna end well"

Long ago and far away, I was a taxi driver in the USA .. one of the large north eastern cites. If we were sitting in queue, and some drunk came along and got into someone’s business .. what do you think we did? Sit there with our thumbs up our arse and watch it all unfold ???

Of course not. Why. We relied on each other for safety, and there is safety in numbers. And if you did NOT lend a hand, do you think the lads would lift a finger when your number came up?

Since it was USA … many many drivers carried a gun. I personally carried a police baton and a fishing gaff. That is correct. A large tuna hand gaff and a club.

Let me tell you .. at 3 AM, when two large guys had me alone on the street, and I showed them the gaff … it really was like a movie. I said “OK, there are two of you and one of me .. but know one thing for certain … ONE of you gets the gaff, FOR SURE”

They walked away.

I am so tired of the Right Honorable Representatives of Farangatopia acting like it is different here in Thailand than other places.

Gents … there is nothing new under the sun … you throw down one too many, grow some “whisky muscles” … F with the bull … and get the horns.

Same same … EVERYWHERE

bars asked to be open late.......so live with it.

Swedish Muslim by the looks...I could be wrong....sad day for tuk tuk drivers...pay the fine, 500 baht and go back to work please.

no he doesn't look like a Swedish muslim, didn't you know beards are back in fashion ( but on the way out again) - they're called 'hipsters'.

I can hazard a guess at what happened, he was asked if he wanted a tuk tuk to take him back and said no but the tuk tuk driver kept on until he was sworn at and then it kicked off. Had it many times in Bangkok in the early hours but I always told the drivers I liked walking and knew where I was going and thanked them for their offer.

so what were your reading then ? there were 5 of them

For the big tough Thai's that is marginal, usually they need at least 8 preferably 10

5 were arrested. How many got a tap in will never be known.

if this problem of tourists being assaulted by tuk tuk drivers or for

that matter by bar owners/bouncers is to be contained then you must

have severs punishment in place for such violators.more so where gangs are

involved.

a lesson for the tourists as well. avoid engaging with these operators politely

and firmly.ought to work if the tourists are not aggressive or impolite.

warnings or small fines only incense the problem.

And in another thread about a young girl in bangkok .... It is really safe here for foreigners... ho hum more dumb propoganda

It is safe..

This dip shit was "apparently" drunk in the early hours, most likely being a drunk ass..

And sometimes you get your ass kicked for being a jackass..

Anywhere in the world..

Setting aside the actions of the cowardly attackers there is a loud message in this story for a lot of people.

Don't stagger home drunk alone at 3.45 am, particularly in Patong or Pattaya.

He is lucky to be alive given the penchant these days to bring out the slash and stab weaponry.

Agreed. While no one should be attacked like this. You need to be aware of where you are.

if this problem of tourists being assaulted by tuk tuk drivers or for

that matter by bar owners/bouncers is to be contained then you must

have severs punishment in place for such violators.more so where gangs are

involved.

a lesson for the tourists as well. avoid engaging with these operators politely

and firmly.ought to work if the tourists are not aggressive or impolite.

warnings or small fines only incense the problem.

Tuk-tuk driver Natee Dechaoop is a very, very small man, with a heart the size of a grape. He refuses to ever fight another man, unless he is joined by three or four other idiot friends. He might consider fighting a woman, or a child. But, never another man without either a lethal weapon, or several other men. What a wimp. Let us hope some miracle happens, and he is charged with a crime of some sort. Battery and assault come to mind.

Phuket tuk-tuks are some of the greatest offenders in the country. They are famous the world over. The only reason nothing is ever done about it, is that their union (the mafia) is more powerful than both the local police, and the army. That is the only reasonable explanation.

Swedish Muslim by the looks...I could be wrong....sad day for tuk tuk drivers...pay the fine, 500 baht and go back to work please.

no he doesn't look like a Swedish muslim, didn't you know beards are back in fashion ( but on the way out again) - they're called 'hipsters'.

I can hazard a guess at what happened, he was asked if he wanted a tuk tuk to take him back and said no but the tuk tuk driver kept on until he was sworn at and then it kicked off. Had it many times in Bangkok in the early hours but I always told the drivers I liked walking and knew where I was going and thanked them for their offer.

"..hipsters..."ha,ha, that's rich...from the 50's eh? Real cool and all that jazz eh? I think this hipster is gonna turn out Muslim from the hip side of logic.

They walked away.

Same same … EVERYWHERE

bars asked to be open late.......so live with it.

Sorry .. this reply makes exactly zero sense .. are you in a bar NOW? (15:20 ... )

Yeah... the hipsters. Pretty funny to see all the people who got into it and now starting to get out.

...now have him pay several thousand dollars in hospital bills....

...seems like they have a really good racket going on here....get beat up by Thais...get sent to the hospital....you pay....

...calling for quality tourists....

...2 trillion baht annually...still not enough....

Tuk-tuk driver Natee Dechaoop is a very, very small man, with a heart the size of a grape. He refuses to ever fight another man, unless he is joined by three or four other idiot friends. He might consider fighting a woman, or a child. But, never another man without either a lethal weapon, or several other men. What a wimp. Let us hope some miracle happens, and he is charged with a crime of some sort. Battery and assault come to mind.

Phuket tuk-tuks are some of the greatest offenders in the country. They are famous the world over. The only reason nothing is ever done about it, is that their union (the mafia) is more powerful than both the local police, and the army. That is the only reasonable explanation.

Let me see if i follow your reasoning here.

You and four friends step out for a smoke at 2 AM .. and a large man walks up and gets into it with one of your friends, who is meaningfully out sized and unskilled in fighting.

Are you saying you and your mates stand there and watch him take a beating ... in the name of "fair??"

Please scratch me off your "Future Buddy" list.

Archived