Chiang Rai Nightlife

In the Rai!

Just a question out of curiousity more than anything else. I go out very seldom ( maybe once a week) for a couple of beers. I usually go to Bo's place as the prices are good and the service is always good. There are a few of the locals that go there that I know of but it doesnt come close to the amount of locals living in Chiang Rai.

I have been to:

Bo's place

CR49

Thiery's Bar

The elephant bar

are there others here that I am missing.

There are not that many places in Chiang Rai and that is what leads to my question.

Where do we go?

In The Rai! :o:D

The first three years here in CR I was out about eight days a week visiting all the places you been too. Plus Easy Bar, R&B, Cat's bar (only the first year), Coconut Bar, Unknown Bar (closed now) and probably a dozen more. :o

Nowadays I go out 1-2 times a week and Boh's place, Easy Bar and Reggie Bar are the places that take all my money! :D

It happens after bowling that I give some money to C1 (don't know how to spell) in exchange for some beer. :D

:D:D:D

It happens after bowling that I give some money to C1 (don't know how to spell) in exchange for some beer. :D

:D:D:D

What about 'Sea One' :D ?

Before it has its name it mostly was called K2 as it is two kilometers from the Mae Korn crossing on the road to Toeng.

For me it is Bo's Place and the Old Dutch, which is the only place in town with a heated terras in winter and a cooled one in summer. But I talk about only once or twice a week.

When I 'pai tiouw' during daytime I enjoy any little simple streetshop out of town. I like to sit in front of a village shop, sip a beer and enjoy the view on local life.

I am not going out much during the evenings, but once in a while I have a bite in the shanty restaurant/sing-a-song close to Mae Korn crossing at the Paholyothin Road (coming from town about hundred meters before the crossing at the right).

The big wooden 'Khon Muang', same side but 400 meters closer to town, has good life country music

(pur chivit), just a pity that it is amplified to deafening volumes.

OK, you want a secret tip?

If you like old Fellini movies (Italian social-realism, early sixties) you might enjoy the nameless place at the road to Toeng, exactly 10 kilometers from the Mae Korn crossing (superhighway) at the left side. Rather hidden between trees: Open your window, if you don't see it, you might hear it.

About twenty meters before a little hotel of the kind where you can take a little nap if you suddenly would feel tired.

Live-music and good fish!

Limbo :o

Just a question out of curiousity more than anything else. I go out very seldom ( maybe once a week) for a couple of beers. I usually go to Bo's place as the prices are good and the service is always good. There are a few of the locals that go there that I know of but it doesnt come close to the amount of locals living in Chiang Rai.

I have been to:

Bo's place

CR49

Thiery's Bar

The elephant bar

There are not that many places in Chiang Rai and that is what leads to my question.

Where do we go?

Anyone knew of any pool bar in chiang rai ?

I have been to:

Bo's place

CR49

Thiery's Bar

The elephant bar

Where do we go?

Anyone knew of any pool bar in chiang rai ?

Cats bar, but beware it's a dragon's den.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yoo Tee Nai Krup..... :o

Just for info and for all you bar hoppers does any one know or re-call Kens bar (no surname so MPRai) opposite the Wangcome Hotel?-from memory in the square.

I havnt been there for about 15 years so he may have moved on......wot?..heavens forbid..

also ..and have asked before..

there was another Kens place(diff guy) -Golden Bar at the top of Jetyod Rd Left hand side (with Alex his partner-lost touch) just befor the Wat and the turn off to the Boom Bun Dan Guest House.

Will really have to squeeze in another visit as this once in every 20 years or so plays havoc with the brain... :D

Just for info and for all you bar hoppers does any one know or re-call Kens bar (no surname so MPRai) opposite the Wangcome Hotel?-from memory in the square.

I havnt been there for about 15 years so he may have moved on......wot?..heavens forbid..

You are talking about the Baitong Bar, founded about twenty years ago by Canadian Ian and his wife Noi.

After Ian moved to Bangkok, Australian Ken was running it for several years.

Now you can have a more or less traditional massage at this location.

I think the Bierstube of Karl-Heinz, the present Bo's Place, was the first foreign restaurant/bar in Chiang Rai and the Baitong the second.

Karl-Heinz opened his second place in the Yedyod Road (later '999', then 'La Luna', then a music place of which I don't know the name and now the '24').

The 'Full Moon' of American Richard was the third.

I guess there were about twenty foreigners living in Chiang Rai at that time.

No mobile phones yet, no internet, just twice a week an airplane from Bangkok which brought the Bangkok Post. A second hand Post cost you a beer.

Sometimes a visitor from the expat-community of Chiang Mai passed by, which always was a source of good information from the outside world.

Yes, we had fun!

You are talking about the Baitong Bar, founded about twenty years ago by Canadian Ian and his wife Noi.

I think the Bierstube of Karl-Heinz, the present Bo's Place, was the first foreign restaurant/bar in Chiang Rai and the Baitong the second.

Karl-Heinz opened his second place in the Yedyod Road (later '999', then 'La Luna', then a music place of which I don't know the name and now the '24').

No mobile phones yet, no internet, just twice a week an airplane from Bangkok which brought the Bangkok Post. A second hand Post cost you a beer.

Sometimes a visitor from the expat-community of Chiang Mai passed by, which always was a source of good information from the outside world.

Yes, we had fun!

Limbo....thanks.....The Baitong Bar is indeed the one that I was on about.

Also used to eat in the Bierstub which again from memory the owner was a little German guy who liked.... cooking.

The Easy bar was round the corner (Big Thai blok ex racing driver/ owner with a pony tail...really nice guy)

Next to there was a bunch of GO Gos owned (think) by a German and if you went up the Jod yet another couple of places including a new bakery (new at the time )a French bar, another American boozer...thatched roof dirt floor and finally the Golden B -Go Go ...adjac to (think) summit like the " Panda Karoke"....

There was also a late night Disco called the JAPAN bar/disco.......cool .... :D .

is it still there ??????

Also used to eat in the Bierstub which again from memory the owner was a little German guy who liked.... cooking.

The Easy bar was round the corner (Big Thai blok ex racing driver/ owner with a pony tail...really nice guy)

Next to there was a bunch of GO Gos owned (think) by a German and if you went up the Jod yet another couple of places including a new bakery (new at the time )a French bar, another American boozer...thatched roof dirt floor and finally the Golden B -Go Go ...adjac to (think) summit like the " Panda Karoke"....

There was also a late night Disco called the JAPAN bar/disco.......cool .... :D .

is it still there ??????

Dear Rinrada, the unsurpassable Mr. Tui of the Easy Bar passed away about six/seven years ago. Standing behind the bar until midnight, not feeling well, went with friends to the hospital and died three hours later in his sleep.

German Lothar was the first one to introduce the phenomenon 'gogo bar' in Chiang Rai.

He passed away about five years ago (in his bathroom, as the story goes).

I wonder if the bakery wasn't a Swiss invention (must have been the first in Chiang Rai with 'real' bread). I forgot the name of the owner.

After some bullits riddled their way into his ceiling he moved quickly with his old mother, young wife, her even much younger daughter and his probably older Swiss cat to Phuket.

I heard he set up a succesfull place there as well.

The French coffee bar, yes. It was 'Paris', if I remember right. If you still remember the owner you might pop into him in other topics of this forum.

'Japan' is now Sohab (in the mean time it was Pharoa and Plaza).

Great times, weren't they? :D

I am almost sure we must have met ....

Yes, we had fun!

is it still there ??????

What was the name of the FANTASTIC Italian restaurant run by Gabriel - an Italian/American guy who died of the dreaded disease maybe 10 years ago? It was the best restaurant in Northern Thailand for quite some time.

What was the name of the FANTASTIC Italian restaurant run by Gabriel - an Italian/American guy who died of the dreaded disease maybe 10 years ago? It was the best restaurant in Northern Thailand for quite some time.

I talked with Mr. D about it today and the only thing he remembers is 'Pizzeria'. It sounds almost too simple to be true. It could be however.

We were torturing our brains about it and as a result the name popped up of the Swiss who started with the first bakery in Chiang Rai at Yedyod Road: Eugen!

I talked with Mr. D about it today and the only thing he remembers is 'Pizzeria'. It sounds almost too simple to be true. It could be however.

We were torturing our brains about it and as a result the name popped up of the Swiss who started with the first bakery in Chiang Rai at Yedyod Road: Eugen!

It was on the small soi where the Go-Go bars are/were near the clock tower and it was burned down once by another restauarant owner and then rebuilt - better than ever. The name sounded more Spanish than Italian to me, but I can't recall it.

'mumbojumbo' date='2006-12-15 20:03:55' post='1033959']

La Cantina :o

YES.

Thank You!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just tried out this little bar that sells the infamous LCR "magic stuff" very basic bar but great beer. Had a great afternoon but the next morning wasnt so good. Dam those cheap prices.

For anyone intersested. Head out towards the stadium, around the family bake and steak house on the oppositte side of the road there is a market. In there, there is a bar that sells LCR.

Enjoy.. I did :o