Statistically, how many marriages fail once Thai woman leaves Thailand

I brought my Thai wife over to the USA in 1993. She was also very careful on which Thai people she associated with and most of her friends have been Pilipino, Hawaiian, Samoan, Chinese, etc. We have bought and sold two houses, moved from Hawaii to Washington DC and back, and also raised a child that is now in his second year of college. It has worked out fine and we are going to move to Thailand to retire in February of 2017.

I agree with many of the other posters on this topic that every marriage is different and you need to chose your mate carefully. If your wife is from another culture it adds an additional stress on the marriage. Just make sure you enter into it with your eyes open, many people do not do this or ignore warning signs that were there all along. Trust your instincts, there are always signs that something is not right but most people ignore those signs. I did this with my first wife and the marriage ended after 3 years (she was an American).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife & I are going on 7-years of marriage together, 8-years of actually knowing each other.

We moved to the USA (Washington, DC area) after or Thai marriage and the 1st year was a culture shock which included the adverse weather conditions and life's challenges.

The 2nd year of our marriage she started working and realized there are a lot of jobs in the USA if you are willing to work.

I have a good job so I pay all the bills and also send a nominal donation back home to the family every two weeks like clock work.

Any additional expenses back home (i.e. like a dead cow) are paid for by my wife from her money earned (rarely does this happens).

I will be retiring Jan2017 and we will be moving back to Thailand.

She knows I don't like a lot of people in our house so when we purchase a dwelling post retirement it will not include any room for extended family. In fact I have stated I am looking for a 2-bedroom house, one for our use and the 2nd for a computer room.

We have already renovated her family house up-country over the past 7-years to be extremely comfortable, for Thai standards.

Lastly, re: Thai friends here in the USA. We have seen a lot of female Thai women have gotten in trouble/divorced due to gambling/debt issues. Thankfully my wife works hard and doesn't like to gamble.

Looking forward to retirement with my wife in 6-months :)

No opinion except to say click bait here we go

Amateur, I earn 5,000 baht per post. 25,000 if I create the topic. Rolling in it.

:D

Only an inept person unable to discuss a topic will use this internet lingo like "clickbait" thinking it somehow makes them intelligent.

Not to mention I got paid 1546 baht by Thai Visa for creating a controversial topic.

Probably 50%

Meantime...It is ( now ) a well understood fact that Thai women, on the average, do not do well living in foreign lands while the climate and the specific area and the environment that she lives within is a major factor as to her happiness.

Understandable if I brought a Thai woman to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in Canada where it is minus 40 Celsius in the winter and there is not one other Thai person for 1000 kilometers around and no Thai food....well I am certain there is far less chance of the marriage working out in any meaningful way.

However, if you happened to live in Singapore and lived there with your Thai wife...then there would be a much higher chance of success.

If you lived in Hawaii there would be more chance of success or lived in Florida USA then more chance of success...or the Gold coast area of Australia....simply because of the tropical environment and pleasant weather.

But a dreary old English town 300 kilometers north of London with depressing rainy weather for half the year and about as English as English can be and nothing familiar at all to the Thai woman....well yeah, they would go stir crazy soon enough and then the husband will be enduring all her frustrations and moodiness and anger for being stuck in such a place...while your love for her and your affection will not resolve such issues.

She would be home sick...no doubt about it.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

Statistically I don't know.

Why don't you do a poll on all those farang/Thai couples, that went back to their respective countries. Asking how long their marriages lasted.

Then publish the statistics and we can all have a party. burp.gif

2 dudes i know married to thais in my town are living very unhappy lives. The only thing these thai's care about are themselves, own family, a material world and what their butthead friends think of them on Facecock, if they don't get their way or what they want they physically attack, torment, blackmail and abuse their partners until they are mentally unstable and cave in. Not hard to work out on the list of most important things in their lives their husbands come about 9th on the list right behind the pet dog.

Cavemen had it easier, and the very reason why a "club" was the first thing ever invented.

Been together 11 years, left Thailand for Saudi four years ago. Been fine. If anything we get on better.

Many thai ferrang couples here, and I've not seen any relationships fall apart. Maybe because it's a third country for everyone there is more of an effort to make things work. Also, in my wife's quotes, "women have it very easy in Saudi, more so than in the west"

Her words not mine.

It does not take long for them to get into the "information" circle where the bitchers that have husband problems meet. These women will over coffee and cigarettes soon tune in your new bride as to what her "rights" are. Once the seed is planted tis not long for fruitation to take hold. I talk from experience.

All of this presupposes that the man has married inappropriately.

I can think of a number of couple who continue to thrive and live, work and have families abroad. If you marry a gold digger or perhaps worse, a woman you have nothing in common with, with a lack of education and narrow to non-existent world-view, what chance of success can you reasonably expect.

Desperate choices often have unpleasant circumstances.why is that so difficult to comprehend?

About 8 years ago I needed some English-Thai translation work doing (for work purposes) and was put in touch with a UK-resident Thai lady, Ae, who runs a small translation company local to me. I soon discovered that most of her work was 'assisting' UK-resident Thai ladies with their marriage problems. Specifically, translating for the police (domestic abuse etc.), for the family court (divorce, custody) and for social services. I got to know this lady quite well and am still in touch. She does very good business and of course her work is mostly paid for by the taxpayer at a decent hourly rate. She is really well-versed in UK police, court and social services protocols, and keeps all the necessary forms and guidance notes to hand. If a Thai lady contacts her then she can provide a full 'package' right from the first report of domestic abuse all the way through to a good divorce settlement and often attends court cases (presumably to translate for her clients). I think most of her work comes via 'word of mouth' and judging by her personal circumstances it must be quite lucrative. She has told me that many of the ladies she helps are semi-literate even in Thai, and may not know the Roman alphabet, so they have no chance of success if they try to take action alone.

A couple of times I met some of Ae's clients. One was a lady who lived about 10 miles from me and was in the process of divorcing her THIRD British husband - she had six kids and was living in a three-storey house in quite a smart village - I was impressed! I asked Ae how many Thai-UK marriages she thought failed - she said '80%' - no doubt a very unreliable figure.... She reckoned because the couple were often incompatible (young immature wife with older man, him looking for sexy compliant wife - once the thrill of the sex wears off they have nothing in common and he gets bored and grumpy with someone he struggles to communicate with and turns out to be far-from-compliant, , she gets bored, frustrated, eats too much... etc etc).

It is also obviously the case that many Thai ladies see marriage to a Westerner as an 'occupation' - a means to an end to provide for self and family. They are willing to play the 'long game', they know about Western divorce laws and many guys get taken for a ride.

Since first meeting Ae I have become near-fluent in Thai and Thai-Isaan and have met and married a Thai lady. It was a slow courtship (about four years) and understanding what she was saying to friends and family was invaluable (I initially didn't let her know I could speak Thai - I let her give me some 'lessons' and she was surprised at how quickly I picked it up!). I felt well-briefed on potential 'elephant traps' and have also managed to stamp out some of the more annoying traits of Thai females (e.g. many Thai ladies like to give the 'silent treatment' - I let her know very early on that I simply wouldn't tolerate it, and that seems to have worked so far). Early on in the relationship she told me some lies and I have since made it clear to her that any future lying or dishonesty will mean the end of the relationship. Of course I have to reciprocate all of this, which is fair enough.

I think any cross-cultural relationship is more fraught than one in which there is a shared common culture. If you add in a language barrier, and possibly a big age difference too, then the risks of failure must surely increase quite sharply.

All depends. If a Thai woman move to Western countries at young age, married or not with a farang, usually they adjust very well to the new customs, learning the language very fast too. Over 30s...will be other history