Being LGBT in Myanmar: Transgender women and their tales of suffering

snoop1130

Being LGBT in Myanmar: Transgender women and their tales of suffering
By Coconuts Bangkok

header_lgbt.jpg

MYANMAR -- Across the border from Thailand, a country often pinpointed as a "gay paradise," Myanmar’s LGBT community doesn't have it easy. They face discrimination in their culture and arrests by the police.

In the latest Coconuts TV documentary, the mistreatment and abuse faced by transgender women is captured on camera. Due to their visibility, transgender women in Myanmar are apt to receive the worst treatment. Police routinely arrest them and allegedly beat and sexually assault them while they are in custody.

“They deny these sorts of cases happen” said Moe Yan, a sex worker who has experienced these acts of mistreatment by the police.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/06/30/being-lgbt-myanmar-transgender-women-and-their-tales-suffering-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-06-30

If you get a chance go watch a showing of the documentary "This Kind of Love" featuring Burmese human rights activist Aung Myo Min whose primary focus, but not sole focus, is upon his LGBT community. Usually it only shows with a speech or a panel discussion with Aung Myo Min, and listening to and meeting him is worth the price of admission. I had the opportunity to watch the film and meet Aung Myo Min last year. As a unrepentant heterosexual I was a little concerned that I would be a bit bored, but as it turned out it was a fascinating documentary about a truly bold human rights activist.

not that I approve of the mistreatment, but if they are transgenders, they are not women....
And using the same logic, then as a luuk kreung you can not be Thai nor whatever else you perceive yourself to be. So do you too play the role of the outcast as well?

not that I approve of the mistreatment, but if they are transgenders, they are not women....

You may think that, however a transgender person in her eyes is a woman. They feel as though they are a woman trapped in a mans body. For some it's a real nightmare and others they come out and make the changes and become free. Not so long ago Thai Airways employed transgender as aircrew. I am a regular guy happily married to a Thai lady and see daily the transgender girls and the ones that are not quite sure where they are at and in my view let live and be happy. Your only around once so make the most of it.

Archived