Americans May Pass Brits, Russians in Visits to Thailand

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Russia is no longer in Asia and is now a western nation ? When did this happen?

Moscow's always been in Europe. At least on a globe it is. And yes, Russia's culture has always been more western than eastern. Commie, but western nonetheless.

Did i learn anything from reading these posts,,,, let's see.

the Brexit vote triggered a plunge in the pound

What utter rubbish,, how many times has that statement made front page.

Post no' 5,,, Thailand lost it's amazing appeal years ago. British tourists

are visiting countries where the grass is greener on the other side.

So true, other countries near by offer much much more, look at Portugal.

post no' 8,,, just more psychological fear-mongering

True, so take notice, the ''New World Order'' is on the collapse.

Many things will bounce up and down before years end, keep tuned in.

Most Americans only get one week vacation per year? And the average flight from America is 1700$ economy? Where are some of you guys coming up with this stuff? It may be that the Americans don't top the list, but it certainly won't be because of the faulty reasoning here. I have been coming to Thailand and Laos since 1995 and never paid more than 1400$ Round Trip, the average has been more like 1200$. During the first year of employment in the States, the average employee will get one week vacation, then it goes up to two until year three and after that most employer will give a month or more. Of course there are exceptions, but to say most Americans get one week of vacation per year is not correct

Most Americans work at jobs that don't pay all too well and will get one week or two weeks maximum. My dad used to get one week off of his job per year at the luggage factory he worked at. He couldn't afford to go anywhere so we ordered pizzas at home and rented a VHS because they were expensive to buy in those days. Yes, most Americans work dead end jobs.

$1,700 is excessive for a flight but I booked one lately for around $1,400 and this was looking around. You are insane if you think that most Americans get anywhere close to a month of annual vacation. Prices of goods are very low in the USA and this isn't achieved by giving out paid holidays. I calculated it one time and figured that the price of goods on most things in Europe cost around 10% more based upon paid holidays. If you are talking about national holidays and banking holidays you could be closer to the truth but Americans are not able to take a full month off and get paid for it.

"The U.K. could be dethroned by the U.S. as Thailand’s top tourist source..."

More Americans? Well, that defeats the main reason most American expats are living in Thailand.

Agreed. lol rolleyes.gif

Heh...'more 'Merkins can only improve the culteral milieu. smile.png

And for those unfamiliar with the term , a "merkin" is a pubic wig ( fashionable in C 18th) as well as being the first name of a fictional US president ( Merkin Muffley in Dr Strangelove). Friday trivia quiz.

He misspelled it, it's "Maarkin."

Russia is no longer in Asia and is now a western nation ? When did this happen?

You should have spent more time in geography class and less time in the way-back machine. Russia is both in Asia and Europe. The Ural mountains are the dividing line; Moscow is decidedly west of the Urals, which makes it in Europe.

Most jobs I had in America started with 2 weeks' vacation, building up to 4-5 weeks with many years of seniority. So the amount of time off wan't the big issue- though nothing like Euro jobs.

But the nature of American employers is that if they figure out they can do without you for 2 weeks in a row, your job isn't too secure...

So we generally take our vacation in shorter spurts, which isn't conducive to a 30-40 hour journey each way, no matter how much discretionary income and how many vacation days we have.

As an American, with a keen insight into the travel thinking of "Bubba", I would guess that international travel by Americans is up in many places, not just Thailand. Two reasons:

1. Baby Boomers, the largest cohort of the US population, are retiring in droves; they have above average wealth, and they want to travel before they kick the bucket

2. The US economy has steadily improved since 2010; not dramatically, but well enough to give people some confidence with their discretionary spending

US Travel destinations in 2015:

Mexico 28.2 million

Europe 12.6

Canada 12.5

Caribbean 7.6

Asia 4.8

As reported above, Thailand about 0.8 million US visitors.

Plenty of potential to be overrun with Yanks. wai.gif

I disagree. First of all Americans do not like to travel to the third world unless it is geographically convenient, which Thailand is definitely not. My guess is that along with that 4.8 million number for Asia, they have included business travelers.

Secondarily, the economy has only improved for the top 5% of Americans. The rest are struggling. And consumer confidence is at an all time low. Unless of course you follow the "Obama numbers". If you follow those the US has never done better.

But, as a small business owner in the US, I can tell you confidence is very, very low. People are scared to spend money. The housing market is strong. But, that is one of the few sectors that are doing well, as far as middle and lower class Americans are concerned. For the top 5%, things have never been better. Obama has been a real boon for wealthy.

Feel free to disagree. I hope you don't mind then if I comment on parts of your argument.

My guess is that along with that 4.8 million number for Asia, they have included business travelers.

Yes. Same as all the other regions of the world. And probably the same for most of the incoming headcounts in Thailand.

Secondarily, the economy has only improved for the top 5% of Americans.

Demonstrably false. In the recession of 2008-2009, unemployment dramatically increased for low to mid income Americans. Since then, both the often reported U-3 unemployment, and the more comprehensive U-6 unemployment, have dropped in half (for example, U-3 from 10% to 5%).

And consumer confidence is at an all time low.

Not according to the Gallup poll, tracking economic confidence since 2008; while confidence is down a bit from early 2015, it is much higher now than in 2008-2009. (But could be much better)

But, as a small business owner in the US, I can tell you confidence is very, very low.

Your personal experience is not a substitute for a well run, national scale survey.

The housing market is strong.

Yes, stronger. Approximately double the number of monthly housing starts now as compared to 2009 (at the low point).

Alaso manufacturing and retail sales have recovered to about the same levels as pre-recession (2007-2008).

Domestic auto sales are above pre-recession levels.

Obama has been a real boon for wealthy.

Yes, the wealthy have done better than low to mid income families; continuing a trend of the past 30 years. But it's all Obama's fault, right? I mean, after he passed those tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. whistling.gif

If you truly believe those employment numbers, there is little point in having this discussion. Those numbers have been fudged on a monthly basis, to the point where they have no credibility any more. Now we are going to eliminate people who have been searching for work, for over six months. Now we are going to eliminate people who have been searching for 12 months, and have not found a job yet. Etc, etc. The real number is at least 10%, and some argue, far, far higher.

Just get out there, and talk to the average worker, and ask them about their level of consumer confidence. I have. It is shocking, disappointing, and scary.

Well thanks for spoiling breakfast!

I don't think that ANYTHING is going to stop the Brits from coming to Thailand with their dam bad manners and sex tours! the EU has never had anything to do with it!

Besides, if they're Brit's, it was their ancestors who really spoiled their breakfast, many generations ago...

The falling pound may actually benefit Thai tourism as it is one of the cheapest long-haul destinations and a few baht off sterling is not going to make much difference to visitor numbers. I suspect the fall-off in recent years has more to do with the fact that having been to the Land of Smiles once, fewer Brits these days feel inclined to make a second visit.

Thailand is one of the most dangerous countries in the world for British tourists, with many coming to grief on the Kingdom's racetrack roads.Thailand also has one of the highest murder and rape rates of any country of its size and many tourists fall victims to robberies, mugging and scams which are widely publicised in the newspapers back home. Recent terrorist attacks have also had a deterrent effect.

Glossy television commercials extolling the attractions of the Land of Smiles reflect are more fantasy than reality in a country where a military government has taken on the task of spreading happiness among its people. That tourist numbers from the UK and other European destinations are declining will come as a surprise to nobody - except perhaps the Tourist Authority of Thailand.

It's good news for the domestic economy that visitor numbers from the US are up. The bad news is that Americans generally tend to demand even higher standards of comfort and security than even their UK cousins!

This entire thread is just thinly (and not so thinly) veiled anti-Americanism.

Tourism is important to Thailand's economy. Americans who do come will generally spend money, and are far less likely to be a part of the near zero-budget tour bus crowds that have all but destroyed Phuket as anything resembling a desirable tourist destination.

Most Americans only get one week vacation per year? And the average flight from America is 1700$ economy? Where are some of you guys coming up with this stuff? It may be that the Americans don't top the list, but it certainly won't be because of the faulty reasoning here. I have been coming to Thailand and Laos since 1995 and never paid more than 1400$ Round Trip, the average has been more like 1200$. During the first year of employment in the States, the average employee will get one week vacation, then it goes up to two until year three and after that most employer will give a month or more. Of course there are exceptions, but to say most Americans get one week of vacation per year is not correct

Most Americans work at jobs that don't pay all too well and will get one week or two weeks maximum. My dad used to get one week off of his job per year at the luggage factory he worked at. He couldn't afford to go anywhere so we ordered pizzas at home and rented a VHS because they were expensive to buy in those days. Yes, most Americans work dead end jobs.

$1,700 is excessive for a flight but I booked one lately for around $1,400 and this was looking around. You are insane if you think that most Americans get anywhere close to a month of annual vacation. Prices of goods are very low in the USA and this isn't achieved by giving out paid holidays. I calculated it one time and figured that the price of goods on most things in Europe cost around 10% more based upon paid holidays. If you are talking about national holidays and banking holidays you could be closer to the truth but Americans are not able to take a full month off and get paid for it.

I may have spoken too harshly, my apologies. However I can't say that I have ever known a single person who gets only one week of vacation after the first year or two of employment. I worked for many years in the auto industry and never saw anything less than that among my employers also. The only thing I can't say for sure is whether or not this differs per region and possibly per employment classification.

I live in Hua Hin luckily we don't get many Yanks here but if they are all anything like the 6 I sat next to whilst eating Breakfast this morning I hope more don't come

Shouty people who say "like" every second word, stay in America please

I live in Hua Hin luckily we don't get many Yanks here but if they are all anything like the 6 I sat next to whilst eating Breakfast this morning I hope more don't come

Do all English people have crooked teeth?

I thought Valley Girls died out in the '80s? '90s at the latest.

I may have spoken too harshly, my apologies. However I can't say that I have ever known a single person who gets only one week of vacation after the first year or two of employment. I worked for many years in the auto industry and never saw anything less than that among my employers also. The only thing I can't say for sure is whether or not this differs per region and possibly per employment classification.

If you were working with unions in the car industry, then they would get more vacation time. People in the government as well. Anyway the point being made is that whatever they get it pales in comparison to what the Europeans get. Even two weeks is cutting it close for a trip to Thailand given the travel times. Even those with a month probably can't cash it in all at once.

It could be I grew up around a bunch of poor people and my thinking is wrong as well just because many people I knew didn't get a whole lot of vacation time. :)

As an American, with a keen insight into the travel thinking of "Bubba", I would guess that international travel by Americans is up in many places, not just Thailand. Two reasons:

1. Baby Boomers, the largest cohort of the US population, are retiring in droves; they have above average wealth, and they want to travel before they kick the bucket

2. The US economy has steadily improved since 2010; not dramatically, but well enough to give people some confidence with their discretionary spending

US Travel destinations in 2015:

Mexico 28.2 million

Europe 12.6

Canada 12.5

Caribbean 7.6

Asia 4.8

As reported above, Thailand about 0.8 million US visitors.

Plenty of potential to be overrun with Yanks. wai.gif

I disagree. First of all Americans do not like to travel to the third world unless it is geographically convenient, which Thailand is definitely not. My guess is that along with that 4.8 million number for Asia, they have included business travelers.

Secondarily, the economy has only improved for the top 5% of Americans. The rest are struggling. And consumer confidence is at an all time low. Unless of course you follow the "Obama numbers". If you follow those the US has never done better.

But, as a small business owner in the US, I can tell you confidence is very, very low. People are scared to spend money. The housing market is strong. But, that is one of the few sectors that are doing well, as far as middle and lower class Americans are concerned. For the top 5%, things have never been better. Obama has been a real boon for wealthy.

And if you think Obama has sold out to the wealthy, wait until you get a load of Hillary.... (I'm no Trump fan, either BTW)

Do all English people have crooked teeth?

Do all Americans have too many teeth? DonnyOsmond-itis.

Winnie

Archived