Americans May Pass Brits, Russians in Visits to Thailand

webfact

As an American, with a keen insight into the travel thinking of "Bubba", I would guess that international travel by Americans is up in many places, not just Thailand. Two reasons:

1. Baby Boomers, the largest cohort of the US population, are retiring in droves; they have above average wealth, and they want to travel before they kick the bucket

2. The US economy has steadily improved since 2010; not dramatically, but well enough to give people some confidence with their discretionary spending

US Travel destinations in 2015:

Mexico 28.2 million

Europe 12.6

Canada 12.5

Caribbean 7.6

Asia 4.8

As reported above, Thailand about 0.8 million US visitors.

Plenty of potential to be overrun with Yanks. wai.gif

I disagree. First of all Americans do not like to travel to the third world unless it is geographically convenient, which Thailand is definitely not. My guess is that along with that 4.8 million number for Asia, they have included business travelers.

Secondarily, the economy has only improved for the top 5% of Americans. The rest are struggling. And consumer confidence is at an all time low. Unless of course you follow the "Obama numbers". If you follow those the US has never done better.

But, as a small business owner in the US, I can tell you confidence is very, very low. People are scared to spend money. The housing market is strong. But, that is one of the few sectors that are doing well, as far as middle and lower class Americans are concerned. For the top 5%, things have never been better. Obama has been a real boon for wealthy.

Feel free to disagree. I hope you don't mind then if I comment on parts of your argument.

My guess is that along with that 4.8 million number for Asia, they have included business travelers.

Yes. Same as all the other regions of the world. And probably the same for most of the incoming headcounts in Thailand.

Secondarily, the economy has only improved for the top 5% of Americans.

Demonstrably false. In the recession of 2008-2009, unemployment dramatically increased for low to mid income Americans. Since then, both the often reported U-3 unemployment, and the more comprehensive U-6 unemployment, have dropped in half (for example, U-3 from 10% to 5%).

And consumer confidence is at an all time low.

Not according to the Gallup poll, tracking economic confidence since 2008; while confidence is down a bit from early 2015, it is much higher now than in 2008-2009. (But could be much better)

But, as a small business owner in the US, I can tell you confidence is very, very low.

Your personal experience is not a substitute for a well run, national scale survey.

The housing market is strong.

Yes, stronger. Approximately double the number of monthly housing starts now as compared to 2009 (at the low point).

Alaso manufacturing and retail sales have recovered to about the same levels as pre-recession (2007-2008).

Domestic auto sales are above pre-recession levels.

Obama has been a real boon for wealthy.

Yes, the wealthy have done better than low to mid income families; continuing a trend of the past 30 years. But it's all Obama's fault, right? I mean, after he passed those tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. whistling.gif

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an American, with a keen insight into the travel thinking of "Bubba", I would guess that international travel by Americans is up in many places, not just Thailand. Two reasons:

1. Baby Boomers, the largest cohort of the US population, are retiring in droves; they have above average wealth, and they want to travel before they kick the bucket

2. The US economy has steadily improved since 2010; not dramatically, but well enough to give people some confidence with their discretionary spending

US Travel destinations in 2015:

Mexico 28.2 million

Europe 12.6

Canada 12.5

Caribbean 7.6

Asia 4.8

As reported above, Thailand about 0.8 million US visitors.

Plenty of potential to be overrun with Yanks. wai.gif

I disagree. First of all Americans do not like to travel to the third world unless it is geographically convenient, which Thailand is definitely not. My guess is that along with that 4.8 million number for Asia, they have included business travelers.

Secondarily, the economy has only improved for the top 5% of Americans. The rest are struggling. And consumer confidence is at an all time low. Unless of course you follow the "Obama numbers". If you follow those the US has never done better.

But, as a small business owner in the US, I can tell you confidence is very, very low. People are scared to spend money. The housing market is strong. But, that is one of the few sectors that are doing well, as far as middle and lower class Americans are concerned. For the top 5%, things have never been better. Obama has been a real boon for wealthy.

Feel free to disagree. I hope you don't mind then if I comment on parts of your argument.

My guess is that along with that 4.8 million number for Asia, they have included business travelers.

Yes. Same as all the other regions of the world. And probably the same for most of the incoming headcounts in Thailand.

Secondarily, the economy has only improved for the top 5% of Americans.

Demonstrably false. In the recession of 2008-2009, unemployment dramatically increased for low to mid income Americans. Since then, both the often reported U-3 unemployment, and the more comprehensive U-6 unemployment, have dropped in half (for example, U-3 from 10% to 5%).

And consumer confidence is at an all time low.

Not according to the Gallup poll, tracking economic confidence since 2008; while confidence is down a bit from early 2015, it is much higher now than in 2008-2009. (But could be much better)

But, as a small business owner in the US, I can tell you confidence is very, very low.

Your personal experience is not a substitute for a well run, national scale survey.

The housing market is strong.

Yes, stronger. Approximately double the number of monthly housing starts now as compared to 2009 (at the low point).

Alaso manufacturing and retail sales have recovered to about the same levels as pre-recession (2007-2008).

Domestic auto sales are above pre-recession levels.

Obama has been a real boon for wealthy.

Yes, the wealthy have done better than low to mid income families; continuing a trend of the past 30 years. But it's all Obama's fault, right? I mean, after he passed those tax cuts in 2001 and 2003. whistling.gif

SOOOO.. why aren't Americans flocking to LOS and spending big bucks?

They think a 10% wobble in the value of a quid is going to make people cancel their trip to Thailand? <deleted>. That's just more psychological fear-mongering.

10% on day one... Two and a bit years to go.

If it's only down 10% at the end, we should count ourselves extremely lucky.

It's fairly obvious now that Boris didn't expect to win, and was only doing the leave campaign to position himself for the Tory leadership campaign, which ironically, because he did win, he'd become toxic as a party leader because a lot of the 48% who voted to remain would never vote for him.

You have to hand it to the Tory party. 5 candidates, and the "nice" one is Theresa May.

You find me a flight from the west coast for $500....

Daren...I hope more....you should have stopped there..I think you mean every other word...

Your wish is my command: As I said have seen flights just below $500 This is from www.SmarterTravel.com web site

Fare Alert Here's an especially low price for chosen from Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK). No longer need this route watched? Edit your watched routes. $558 RT Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) Airline: Air China More Details: Late Summer/Fall travel.

Seems we should blame everything on Brexit. The world is going to end because of Brexit and everything you knew or assumed is going to change because of it. Personally i think markets will go down and up and not much will change.

You find me a flight from the west coast for $500....

Daren...I hope more....you should have stopped there..I think you mean every other word...

Round Trip $710.86
450+ Airlines for 2000+ Destinations.
This is from www.SmarterTravel.com

Fare Alert Here's an especially low price for chosen from Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK). $558 RT Los Angeles, CA (LAX) to Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) Airline: Air China More Details: Late Summer/Fall travel. FIND FLIGHTS 〉 Fares may have limited availability and may sell out. Luggage and other fees may be additional unless otherwise noted. Fares provided by Airfarewatchdog.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a round trip Los Angeles to Bangkok, Korean Airways for $888.00......at these prices, Yes, Americans will travel toThailand in droves. clap2.gif

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2016/07/23/deal-alert-major-us-cities-asia-just-504-roundtrip/

RT flights from California or NY from $504 so maybe will see a lot more of my compatriots here.

Well thanks for spoiling breakfast!

You have something against americans?

Just remember the Brits gave them Tea, a language and a country and it only took 200 years to ruin all three

Archived