Realities of teaching in Thailand without work permit

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you take the tefl with a reputable co.you will actually spend quite a bit of time in various schools around the area,teaching for around an hour each time at different levels,this will help you a lot,to look at the culture and the layout in each school will change from school to school.This is a very good way to see if you will like to teach,also to see if the students and the staff like you,in your approach to the students,and your ability to control the class.It is in my opinion that this is the best way to go.Regarding the WP.some schools will do the paperwork and sort it out for you,some will employ you without it,as regards right or wrong,if you are employed then its right,dont let it worry you,and dont listen to too many I KNOW ALL,the place is full of them,and they are not all THAI.Give it a shot what have you to loose?regardless what you decide you have gained a lot in your month long course,it will be very valuable in later times.MY OPINION ONLY.

"Seems to me many of these "schools" are more interested in a baby sitter or just having a white face"

I may be a cynic but i think all they are pretty much interested in making money.

If in a nakon nowhere Isarn they will tell you the budget is low and you get maybe 15-20 a month,but for sure they will probably con the parents into paying more for a "intense English program" with this hotshot teacher they had to source from Bangkok...all BS

dont listen to all the other wallys on here. You wont see any officers come to take you away. If you know the Pooyai you can even ride a bike around Isaan for years and never anyone stop you or ask for a licence.

The only trouble is if you cause big scene with the director but blacklisted..no way.

Maybe in Bangkok you will have trouble if you work amongst farangs..best to keep away from them

15-20k no. I have been offered between 25-30k on several occasions. That was upfront too without bonuses etc. I heard someone else claim 20k too. Just not true in my experience. I mean its not a fortune either but we should keep the facts right for anyone interested. I guess if you were in a more competitive area the pay may be lower.

Im in Isaan. I don't know about a properly trained English teacher but someone with any degree here don't seem to get a lot more, maybe 35-37k month.

Bottom line if you want to teach take a TEFL course which will at least show you how to instruct a class and set up lessons . I have been offered a teaching job at my Thai niece's school after they asked her " who taught you English." Although I taught her I would not try to teach a class without at least a TEFL course to show me how to instruct , set up class programs. Don't use an online course , they have places in Thailand that give you practical experience in teaching a class.

Go to the Google url below and check on programs in Thailand

https://www.google.co.th/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=tefl%20course%20thailand

When i was teaching (3 years,Pattaya) I had everything a teacher should have.I had a genuine degree,A T.E.F.L,i even went to Mahidol university (Bangkok) to take the recognised culture course.We had another guy,from Scotland (Edinburgh accent) .The other teacher's were Philippine ladies.They taught Science,Maths,Sports,etc.Obviouslt we had Thai teachers as well,teaching Computer,Thai lanuage,etc.

My salary was much better than the other teachers ( it was an international school) And the jealousy was chronic.This was due to the fact that none of the Philippine ladies were allowed to teach English because of their accents (we taught the English Programme).In fact i interviewed an American chap once for a job at the school.He was so arrogant! He insisted that he would continue to teach from the Webster's Dictionary as it was the true English language.And that he would introduce the students to the history of the USA from 1776.He was very angry when he didn't get the Job.A week later,the school had a visit from Immigration,Asking to see my work permit,Visa and qualifications,and took away copies.It was embarrassing for me,but it put a stop to all the other teachers,pretending to engage me in polite conversation,only to ask,halfway through if i did have a work permit and a degree.

What i am trying to say is that,it is fatal not to be qualified when teaching at any school,any where,in this country.Its not only your colleagues that will try to grass on you,but disgruntled people who try for job's.

Also i even got inquiries from neighbours and friends.Jealousy is every where.

So if the OP is thinking of taking a position in any school,think again.They WILL deport you and try to finagle more than just the 500 baht if they can.

As for the OP whose friend screwed one his colleagues.That, is a very stupid thing to do.Its like committing career suicide.

You're not a teacher in any way or form. You are an opportunist taking advantage of a poor country for your own gain.

To be a genuine teacher takes years at University learning so many different angles, from spotting if a child is being abused at home, to the actual subject you want to teach.

You do not have that skill like95% of the "teachers" in this country.

Jesus theres some miserable, rude and ignorant human beings on this forum. Did you only read the first three words of my post? I never said it was easy nor did I say I was qualified. I was amazed at their willingness to take just about anyone to teach not only English but science and Maths. If you read my post I excused myself from the position, hardly an opportunist "Franky bear". Jesus! Is that what the kids call you?

The topic of my post were the "realities" here and the reality is that many private schools will take just about anyone as long as there is a white face in the place to justify the expensive tuition fees. In my opinion the problem isn't with the people seeking work as much as the private schools and employment agents lack of regard for the kids education. I don't think even the parents generally give too much of a toss as long as the kid gets a pass. Typical of many things in the land of smiles. Not concerned with the details only the outcome.

By the way, there are several senior Thai teachers within my wife's family who cant work out a simple percentage or fraction without a calculator, are totally unaware of their neighbouring countries and don't know the difference between Australia and Austria. University degree or not Im sure someone with any training or speaking experience and a reasonable western education would be at least a good supplement to the poor education most receive

Everyone with children has stories about teachers - the good, the bad and the in different.

That's true of every country I've lived in. And some of the expat teachers polarize that scale.

However, doesn't change the fact that you are not qualified or experienced and would highly unlikely get a job teaching in your own country.

The fact some schools here break the rules out of economic need, be that greed or necessity driven, is immaterial. You are not a qualified teacher and would not be able to get the appropriate WP. There are good reasons for that, like the pupils and the fact that those seeking a bit of income who fancy teaching because it looks easy and anyone can do it aren't teachers nor should they be allowed to pretend so,

If caught you may be fined, imprisoned, deported and blackisted. One disgruntled colleague, parent, neighbor, etc.

When i was teaching (3 years,Pattaya) I had everything a teacher should have.I had a genuine degree,A T.E.F.L,i even went to Mahidol university (Bangkok) to take the recognised culture course.We had another guy,from Scotland (Edinburgh accent) .The other teacher's were Philippine ladies.They taught Science,Maths,Sports,etc.Obviouslt we had Thai teachers as well,teaching Computer,Thai lanuage,etc.

My salary was much better than the other teachers ( it was an international school) And the jealousy was chronic.This was due to the fact that none of the Philippine ladies were allowed to teach English because of their accents (we taught the English Programme).In fact i interviewed an American chap once for a job at the school.He was so arrogant! He insisted that he would continue to teach from the Webster's Dictionary as it was the true English language.And that he would introduce the students to the history of the USA from 1776.He was very angry when he didn't get the Job.A week later,the school had a visit from Immigration,Asking to see my work permit,Visa and qualifications,and took away copies.It was embarrassing for me,but it put a stop to all the other teachers,pretending to engage me in polite conversation,only to ask,halfway through if i did have a work permit and a degree.

What i am trying to say is that,it is fatal not to be qualified when teaching at any school,any where,in this country.Its not only your colleagues that will try to grass on you,but disgruntled people who try for job's.

Also i even got inquiries from neighbours and friends.Jealousy is every where.

So if the OP is thinking of taking a position in any school,think again.They WILL deport you and try to finagle more than just the 500 baht if they can.

As for the OP whose friend screwed one his colleagues.That, is a very stupid thing to do.Its like committing career suicide.

Apart from a knowledge of how to write English correctly it would seem.

I should probably say, that that's the only first hand (or any hand) experience of someone being reported or 'caught'

About half the guys I play football with are teachers here (in BKK) AFAIK almost none of them have WP's for a variety of reasons, most have been here teaching for 5-10 years, none has ever reported knowing someone to have gotten in any type of trouble for doing so.

hope that helps. smile.png

I worked for three years up here in the sticks, no degree, only a TEFL. I got a work permit quite easily, but

I will give you some advice.

If you do a TEFL, that's about 12 weeks, if you want to teach in a school, Prathom or Mattayom, make sure

the course you choose to do, is teaching you to work in a government or private school, and not a language

school or you will learn very little, unless of course you want to work in a language school.

I did a few weeks unpaid working with a Farang English teacher, and if I had not done that, I would have been

lost when I started teaching by myself. The TEFL course got me a nice fancy certificate, but only taught me how

to teach in a language school.

Also, it is not a guaranteed pass, some drop out for various reasons, app 20%, though some courses will let you

take the course again free if you fail.

hi kenny if beeing a teacher is ur life call then go for it but with all the good qualification and training available for u in ur home country maybe work there for a while and learn thai languagge before u come here if schools dont want to do the wp for u. because of money u just laugh ? at them and move up to university u can get a 100000 bhat a month doing a good teaching job all w proper papers and nobody ever can blackmail u or threaten u because of visa wp or similar . dont ever put yourself into the cheap charlie corner

The private school I work in has quite a few teachers with no degree. They are employed by an agency and get around 30000 baht. Personally I think its a pretty grim life earning that low a salary and you still have to leave the country every few months (no work permit).

This school has had rotten luck with teachers (because of their low salary) and so have had to resort to an agency. For the money they pay schools cant expect good teachers, just people who appear to be teaching and that's all that matters here.

My information may be out-of-date, I was told that CELTA is aimed at people with a Degree and TEFL at those without a Degree or for whom English is not their mother tongue. CELTA isn't difficult for a native English speaker unless you have no flare for other languages. In that case, you'll have to learn the jargon, e.g. what a gerund is and that some of the tense jargon has changed over the last 20 years.

CELTA isnt necessarily required in developing countries where there's a teacher shortage. Maybe TEFL is your best option. You may be able to do it in one month! I think you ought to consider it an investment to get a teaching qualification if you want to be serious about it.

Some people are natural teachers. They're inspirational to watch. On the other hand, I've seen many qualified, uninspired and unspirational teachers. Teaching is still considered a vocation and you'll probably learn more about teaching when you actually practise.

My information may be out-of-date, I was told that CELTA is aimed at people with a Degree and TEFL at those without a Degree or for whom English is not their mother tongue. CELTA isn't difficult for a native English speaker unless you have no flare for other languages. In that case, you'll have to learn the jargon, e.g. what a gerund is and that some of the tense jargon has changed over the last 20 years.

CELTA isnt necessarily required in developing countries where there's a teacher shortage. Maybe TEFL is your best option. You may be able to do it in one month! I think you ought to consider it an investment to get a teaching qualification if you want to be serious about it.

Some people are natural teachers. They're inspirational to watch. On the other hand, I've seen many qualified, uninspired and unspirational teachers. Teaching is still considered a vocation and you'll probably learn more about teaching when you actually practise.

CELTA is a TEFL qualification. There is no requirement to have a degree in order to do a CELTA course and it can be done all over the world, including Thailand.

"Please don't misunderstand my post. If I do go into this field, I want to do a good job and take it seriously..."

Make up your mind, are you going to work illegally without the required qualifications or are you going to take it seriously?

Some pupils may take learning from a foreigner seriously only to find he was taking the piss out of them, the authorities and the system designed to protect them from people like you.

While some "teachers" on fake degrees, or no degrees, but with a special desire for little girls and boys who love to play Santa Claus in December can play their perverted games in private tutoring lessons.

"Please don't misunderstand my post. If I do go into this field, I want to do a good job and take it seriously..."

Make up your mind, are you going to work illegally without the required qualifications or are you going to take it seriously?

Some pupils may take learning from a foreigner seriously only to find he was taking the piss out of them, the authorities and the system designed to protect them from people like you.

While some "teachers" on fake degrees, or no degrees, but with a special desire for little girls and boys who love to play Santa Claus in December can play their perverted games in private tutoring lessons.

Not only does that make no sense but it is uncalled for and quite frankly creepy. Why would you make a comment like that let alone be thinking along those lines?

Im sure there are people who fall into that category all over the world...qualified or non qualified but its hardly the theme of this post or the quote. I see you edited out a further creepy anecdote about an Indian teacher on the toilet with a child. Whats that all about?

Very strange

It is all the people working without a work permit that are keeping the salaries low.

I really hope the Thais get their act together and start to make it more difficult for backpackers to fill positions.

I ain't gonna rat on you, but I do hope you get busted.

It is all the people working without a work permit that are keeping the salaries low.

I really hope the Thais get their act together and start to make it more difficult for backpackers to fill positions.

Well firstly I'm not a backpacker, a tourist and nor am I working?

You're not a teacher in any way or form. You are an opportunist taking advantage of a poor country for your own gain.

To be a genuine teacher takes years at University learning so many different angles, from spotting if a child is being abused at home, to the actual subject you want to teach.

Most teachers in Thailand teach EFL and usually to classes of adults.

Most teachers in Thailand teach EFL and usually to either primary or secondary students. How comes that you're mixing this up?

Those who're teaching adults are the minority.

Not only does that make no sense but it is uncalled for and quite frankly creepy. Why would you make a comment like that let alone be thinking along those lines?

Im sure there are people who fall into that category all over the world...qualified or non qualified but its hardly the theme of this post or the quote. I see you edited out a further creepy anecdote about an Indian teacher on the toilet with a child. Whats that all about?

Very strange

Yep, it's very strange and part of what I've experienced. Not a "I've heard, or my friend told me that...thing."

When you read my first post once more you might understand the point. Not having a degree doesn't mean that you don't find a teaching position. There are ways that a school can hire you as a trainer, or teacher's assistant.

If you're really interested in teaching here you could also make an online BA in education, offered by an accredited university from the Philippines for an affordable amount of money with the possibility to pay it in monthly installments.

To get back on topic, there're a lot of people teaching English, but also subjects without a work permit. And you very seldom hear/ read of people who got busted.

Then why are you addressing the question and asking about the realities of teaching in Thailand without a work permit?

You want a pat on the back and confirmation that it is ok?

Ain't gonna get that from me.

are you implying that the fact that you have a teaching degree eliminates you from being a pedophile?

Then why are you addressing the question and asking about the realities of teaching in Thailand without a work permit?

I dont want anything from YOU and I particularly don't give a rats what you think. Contrary to your own beliefs, you are not of importance to anyone but yourself. And by b the way. What exactly is your point? You want more money for yourself as a teacher or you just dislike others working here. You're more entitled because ???

Most teachers in Thailand teach EFL and usually to classes of adults.

Most teachers in Thailand teach EFL and usually to either primary or secondary students. How comes that you're mixing this up?

Those who're teaching adults are the minority.

Not in my experience. The vast majority of teachers in Bangkok are working at language schools or in corporate teaching.

I dont want anything from YOU and I particularly don't give a rats what you think. Contrary to your own beliefs, you are not of importance to anyone but yourself. And by b the way. What exactly is your point? You want more money for yourself as a teacher or you just dislike others working here. You're more entitled because ???

Touch a nerve? Feelings hurt?

Go through the process of making yourself legal rather than start a post in which you query about working illegally.

Touch a nerve? Feelings hurt?

Go through the process of making yourself legal rather than start a post in which you query about working illegally.

haha. Touched a nerve about what? You haven't said anything important or added any value to a post many are interested and contributing to apart from a gripe about people working running the market price down. As I said what entitles you to work here more than someone else? Your not in Kansas now Toto. Crawl back under ur rock

cheesy.gif Dude, most of the posts are yours defending yourself.

Your post sucks. You can have the last word cos you ain't worth the trouble.

You didn't go to any trouble moron. You're just another keyboard warrior having a crack

I am an American with an engineering degree. While working in Michigan, I was repeatedly asked if I would teach math and engineering at night for one of the local universities ... I eventually agreed. The state of Michigan allows people with "technical expertise" to be teachers. So I started teaching classes at night. Every semester the university would throw me into where ever they had vacancies .. and i would end up teaching a different curriculum. AND while I was doing this, I was accumulating credits which eventually made me a licensed teacher.

So, in the USA it is quite possible to teach at a university without a degree in education. And I believe my students would agree that they got what they were paying for. And it was legal. And it is done all the time.

Archived