A week or so in Chiangmai, where to play Badminton?

alohame

Hi Guys,

I'll be taking a short vacation in Chiangmai later in July, wondering if there is any social club or someone wants to play baddie?

Problem is I don't speak Thai and I need to borrow or rent a racket.

Would call myself low intermediate. Have been playing baddie for nearly two years now, but normally twice a month due to my job. Keen to improve my skill during my vacation.

If there is any badminton trainning session or coaching available, would be happy to attend or simply hire a coach.

As it's vacation, so I could literally play anytime in a day or any day in a week. Will be living somewhere close to Maya.

Tried to join that expat recreatiation group on facebook, but they haven't approved yet.

Any advice is appreciated:)

My friend, an ex-pat from England, owns a bar on Loi Kroh Rd. His name is "Chris." He plays badminton numerous times a week; He'll tell you what you need to know. Real nice guy. Unfortunately, his bar has no name; a few years back it was called Marijuana Bar. Walking East , from the Moat, go about 150 yards and it will be on you right, just before the parking lot. Good luck.

there are about 100 places in CM that sell badminton racquets....starting at about 60 thb...real nice ones are 300. Not like golf clubs, which are expensive. Lots of people play at CMU. If you're white, clean cut, "normal" looking, they won't bat an eye about a non-student on campus....just don't act like a tourist. The Chinese have lost their privileges for being disruptive and in large groups. I've been on campus 200 times and never been asked anything, but I did join the pool and bank there, as well as use the PO.

My friend, an ex-pat from England, owns a bar on Loi Kroh Rd. His name is "Chris." He plays badminton numerous times a week; He'll tell you what you need to know. Real nice guy. Unfortunately, his bar has no name; a few years back it was called Marijuana Bar. Walking East , from the Moat, go about 150 yards and it will be on you right, just before the parking lot. Good luck.

I'm not sure if I'd be lucky enough to locate his bar, but I'll try though :D

Cheers Roger.

there are about 100 places in CM that sell badminton racquets....starting at about 60 thb...real nice ones are 300. Not like golf clubs, which are expensive. Lots of people play at CMU. If you're white, clean cut, "normal" looking, they won't bat an eye about a non-student on campus....just don't act like a tourist. The Chinese have lost their privileges for being disruptive and in large groups. I've been on campus 200 times and never been asked anything, but I did join the pool and bank there, as well as use the PO.

Are you talking about dollar or baht? 60 bt a racquet? Is it wooden :P

If it's that cheap, wouldn't bother buying a new racquet for a few days use. I have two rackets back home, but I always travel light with only carry on baggage. However these days, racquets need to be checked in for security reason...

Do you know what's the Thai price of top rank Yonex rackets, say Arc saber 10? I bought it for 200 bucks. If it's a lot cheaper and not fake one, I might get another racquet :)

So which stores would you normally go to? I need to buy some wraps too. Doesn't matter in BKK or CM.

The Chinese tourists is a complicated topic, could write a report on it. Most of them were on their first overseas trip, and the Chinese traditional culture and etiquette were all ruined by the communist party for a couple of decades...

I've been fortunate enough walking around the CMU campus during my previous trips though.

But back to baddie, where can I find ppl to play with?

Or if not, at least find a qualified coach for some training session. I don't want to spend all my week in the apartment, especially after ravening nice food all day:)

Hey ! Thanks for message on another threat. Unfortunately at the end of July I will be on my holiday.

You can play with Chiang Mai badminton group (foreigners and some thais). They play every Tuesday and Friday at 2pm to 4pm at Chang Puak stadium. You can find this group on Facebook and they have a map how to get there.

Also, you said you will live close to Maya. There is new badminton hall available near Maya - at Green Hill place. You can just show up there and I am sure you will find someone to play with.

When it comes to CMU, you need membership card to play there legally, or be CMU student. In the evening time is fully booked.

Good luck !

Hey ! Thanks for message on another threat. Unfortunately at the end of July I will be on my holiday.

You can play with Chiang Mai badminton group (foreigners and some thais). They play every Tuesday and Friday at 2pm to 4pm at Chang Puak stadium. You can find this group on Facebook and they have a map how to get there.

Also, you said you will live close to Maya. There is new badminton hall available near Maya - at Green Hill place. You can just show up there and I am sure you will find someone to play with.

When it comes to CMU, you need membership card to play there legally, or be CMU student. In the evening time is fully booked.

Good luck !

No worries mate, do you know if I could rent a racket somewhere? Or baddie coaching for hourly hire? n baht/hr?

Good luck !

No worries mate, do you know if I could rent a racket somewhere? Or baddie coaching for hourly hire? n baht/hr?

Yes, at Green Hill and at @CNX you can rent racket and take coaching.

Not sure about racket hire rate, but coaching is 300-400 baht per hour.

Good luck !

Yes, at Green Hill and at @CNX you can rent racket and take coaching.

Not sure about racket hire rate, but coaching is 300-400 baht per hour.

Very helpful information, much appreciated! Enjoy your holiday.

Just contacted green hill club, coaching is 600bt ph, Racket 100bt ph.

If I play often, probably be better off buying a brand new gosen shiden and throw it away afterwards :P

I guess that is foreigners "special" price. huh.png

If I play often, probably be better off buying a brand new gosen shiden and throw it away afterwards tongue.png

You indicated before that your level is lower intermediate, so I guess low to medium price range racket will do.

You can always take it back home if it is expensive one.

600 baht for 1 hour coaching seem to be quite expensive, is it already including court rate I guess ?

Try to ask @CNX place also, or even courts at Chang Puak stadium also.

If I play often, probably be better off buying a brand new gosen shiden and throw it away afterwards tongue.png

You indicated before that your level is lower intermediate, so I guess low to medium price range racket will do.

You can always take it back home if it is expensive one.

600 baht for 1 hour coaching seem to be quite expensive, is it already including court rate I guess ?

Try to ask @CNX place also, or even courts at Chang Puak stadium also.

Yes it does, but how much is the court rate? 100bt ph? Left 500bt ph still not cheap.

But thanks a lot for all the information provided, maybe I'll just relax and chill then.

I'm not sure if I'd be lucky enough to locate his bar, but I'll try though biggrin.png

Cheers Roger.

I will save you the bother ; plus looking for somewhere on Loi Kroh makes you easy meat.

Chris played with us at Chang puak but hasnt played for 2 years after picking up a knee injury but follow Baywatch82 instructions...ie tues/fri pm; just 50bt per person.

Go to our facebook page and contact us there.

I'm not sure if I'd be lucky enough to locate his bar, but I'll try though biggrin.png

Cheers Roger.

I will save you the bother ; plus looking for somewhere on Loi Kroh makes you easy meat.

Chris played with us at Chang puak but hasnt played for 2 years after picking up a knee injury but follow Baywatch82 instructions...ie tues/fri pm; just 50bt per person.

Thanks for the update "alohame." I'm sorry to hear that Chris suffered an injury; he is a heck of a nice guy. He helped me numerous times, like taking me to get my Drivers License at 4:30 in the morning... Although I call Chiang Mai home, due to Dengue fever, I've spent the last two years in South America. At 8,000 ft. high in the Andes, there are no "bad" mosquitoes here. Tell Chris, if you get a chance, "Hello" for me and tell him "I'll shall return." Roger

Cheers Roger.

I tried to join the group last week, never got approved yet.

But if allowed? I will show up by the time I arrived. Just wondering if I could rent a racket in the place?

Cheers Roger.

Thanks for the update "alohame." I'm sorry to hear that Chris suffered an injury; he is a heck of a nice guy. He helped me numerous times, like taking me to get my Drivers License at 4:30 in the morning... Although I call Chiang Mai home, due to Dengue fever, I've spent the last two years in South America. At 8,000 ft. high in the Andes, there are no "bad" mosquitoes here. Tell Chris, if you get a chance, "Hello" for me and tell him "I'll shall return." Roger

I think we both will, looks like he is a real nice dude.

You take care of yourself mate.

Archived