Color slide films renditions; playing with editing

gobs

Digital color photography is something really funny. What a pity I didn’t look into it before rolleyes.gif

Some decades ago (yes, time goes very fast!), I used to use Kodachrome and Ektachrome films, as well Fujichrome though not as much.

Out of curiousity, and just for fun, I recently spent some time playing to “emulate” these chrome films renditions, but only from memory as I don’t have any of my past slide works here in Thailand.

For this first attempt, I used a trivial pic showing sky, trees, buildings with a full range of colors, lights and shadows.

Kodachrome-like pic:

post-41729-0-29378200-1467460612_thumb.j

Light reddish-orange warm tone, with rather high contrast and bright colors tones.

Ektachrome-like pic:

post-41729-0-64362300-1467460642_thumb.j

Light blueish cold tone, with contrast on the low side and a bit dimed colors tones.

Fujichrome-like pic:

post-41729-0-08035200-1467460666_thumb.j

Light greenish cold tone, with good contrast and shallow colors tones.

As I’m a newbie in digital, editing is overdone I think*. But you get the idea, I suppose…

What do you think, guys?

Anyone tried this yet?

Cheers,

Ray

* From what I see now pics are posted, yes, color editing was overdone. I'm a bit surprised because they seems to be better rendering on my PC screen...

I don't know nothing on how certain old film types look TBH, Tri-X400, Velvia 50 and Kodachrome, I believe were popular.

Did you give that Alienskin Exposure 5 trial a test?

I would like to know, just to see how accurate it really is.

Anyway as I've made a post I might aswell add this video.

Thanks for your post RW, as well to share the video...

No, at the moment, I didn't test the Alienskin software. I'm still learning my "new" toy, then when at ease with it I may have a look at it...

BTW pictures in the video just show what was the Kodachrome look: warm tone, good resolution, good contrast and a rich skin rendition.

I liked Kodachrome a lot...

And please, don't take for granted pics rendition I submited above. It's far too much blink.png

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Ray.....this is going to take some getting used to,am so used to seeing your work in monochrome and off a roll.

I did read somewhere that you were thinking about buying a body to use your vintage lenses with,which make/model did you opt for?

Am also curious about what you think about developing your images via a computer now,instead of a darkroom!

Thanks for your interest Shaggy.

Wow Ray.....this is going to take some getting used to,am so used to seeing your work in monochrome and off a roll.

wink.png I'm curious about many things. And i'm well aware I have a lot of work going on. For now I've just to learn more about digital...

I did read somewhere that you were thinking about buying a body to use your vintage lenses with,which make/model did you opt for?

Thanks for part to FracturedRabbit's comments, then because of a great second hand offer in a BKK shop (AV Camera), I went for an Olympus OM-D E-M5 with its Zuiko 12-50 kit lens (still originally boxed and barely used).

I'm blown out by this camera (yet it's my first digital camera ever, so...), and it's a lot of fun to play with my vintage legacy lenses (more to come here about his).

Am also curious about what you think about developing your images via a computer now,instead of a darkroom!

tongue.png For now I'm like a kid with color pencils on my computer: I'm testing everything to try to understand how digital works. But, as it is at present, I must confess I miss the "handling" of the "real" thing (film, paper, chemistries, and so on)... and the smells.

Sure, let's see what happens in the next months...

My comments in blue...

Cheers,

Ray

• 1 month later...

Archived