Tuk-tuk mows down Kazakh tourist on Hua Hin zebra crossing

webfact

I have stopped at that crossing, put my hazards on to warn other drivers and yet still had to put my hand up to warn pedestrians to wait as I could see a car on my right with no intention of slowing down......my worry is that I may be causing more harm than good by stopping, which is a ludicrous situation to be in.....would I be accountable if, god forbid, someone was hurt?

That's my thought everytime I stop to let someone cross the road.. Guess who they'll blame..whistling.gif

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand is a <deleted> disgrace when it comes to Thai driver's flaunting Highway Rules, i.e. Jumping red lights, not stopping at crossing's the list goes on and on. No one's safe, pedestrians, motorcyclists, whoever!

RIP Kazakh man.

Thailand, well where i live Thais are booked daily...

on Sukhumvit in Bangkok when there is a sudden break in the traffic of around 100m and I attempt to cross the road it is still deadly as lunatics accelerate to as fast as their car will go to close that gap ..only to be stuck in the same traffic ahead blink.png

The only way to change behaviour is to have zero tolerance and enforce the laws. That may be by putting traffic cameras over crosswalks with signals and at red lights - and send out tickets - if not paid within 30 days a wheel clamp goes on -- and 60 days the vehicle is confiscated and auctioned off.

BETTER CALL SAUL SORRY BILL

Love your thinking but it will not fly a nonstarter simply because it cost money. Subs yes human safety hmm. In this case the tuk tuk driver will be made an example of and flogged in the media end of story. He will be the monthly poster boy for what happens when you hit/kill a tourist. Vehicles can do pretty well what they want to speed etc. but just do not cause an accident. If you do you are made an example of. Quote while a commenter called Thita Wichaikool said: "On one occasion we stopped at this zebra crossing to allow tourists to cross the road. But each side of us other motorists refused to stop. They must have known people were crossing but they still wouldn't stop." unquote. I find this funny in a sad way as I encounter this each time and every time I go to the plaza up the street and try and cross at the zebra crossing that has lost almost all of its white color. It is a heavily used crossing and should at the very least be repainted well for all the good that will do. I see so many freshly painted yellow box like markings on intersections in lightly traveled back streets but nothing on our main street. Lack of priorities. Lights there are not the answer either the answer is to set up speed cameras post more BIB but sadly they are all busy grooming/being handmaidens to their superiors. Yes Thailand has lots of BIB only they are not utilized in the proper manner.

Outside my sons school they park on the zebra crossing and the police man there parks his motorbike on the pavement at 90degrees so children have to walk on the road to pass his motorbike ,they just don't care about other people at all

sure seems they dont give a damn about other people. it may also be lack of cognitive ability to foresee the consequences of their actions even the most simple "cause-effect" actions. this combined with underdeveloped emotional maturity-impulse control creates disastrous consequences.

i often see people walk directly in the middle entering the mrt or bts walking directly into those exiting the train as if they have no idea what they are doing. it does not appear to be intentional.

I know I am opening myself to U.S. bashing but fact is fact. Usually posts this late in a topic are not read but I feel it is important and relevant. It is NOT a general rule in the U.S. that cars must stop for pedestrian crossings a.k.a. "Zebra crossings".

Each state may have different laws on this but where I came from pedestrian crossings are located at intersections or controlled by traffic lights. A pedestrian has the right of way if they are already in a crossing, but traffic will not stop for someone waiting to cross elsewhere or against a light. I also Googled this point just to confirm I wasn't ignorant of my own traffic laws, especially as I was a police officer.

I believe it was in Australia I first heard of this law and laughed at the thought that traffic was to screech to a stop if someone stepped off a curb at a particular point (not debating the law, just saying).

It was not until recently I learned it was a law here and I have been driving here for many years. Bottom line; don't assume all drivers know this or that it is only a Thai driver problem. All 'western laws' are not the same, and as we know there are drivers here from many countries. Yes it is the law, and all drivers should be aware, but that is a fantasy world. Clearly the pedestrian must also use extra caution and common sense, not just rely on the so called law and a few lines on the road to protect them.

When I took my Thai wife to Hong Kong for the first time the thing that surprised her the most was that the traffic stopped at red lights. "Why do they do that?" because if they didn't they would be stopped and fined. Now theres an idea!

I know I am opening myself to U.S. bashing but fact is fact. Usually posts this late in a topic are not read but I feel it is important and relevant. It is NOT a general rule in the U.S. that cars must stop for pedestrian crossings a.k.a. "Zebra crossings".

Each state may have different laws on this but where I came from pedestrian crossings are located at intersections or controlled by traffic lights. A pedestrian has the right of way if they are already in a crossing, but traffic will not stop for someone waiting to cross elsewhere or against a light. I also Googled this point just to confirm I wasn't ignorant of my own traffic laws, especially as I was a police officer.

I believe it was in Australia I first heard of this law and laughed at the thought that traffic was to screech to a stop if someone stepped off a curb at a particular point (not debating the law, just saying).

It was not until recently I learned it was a law here and I have been driving here for many years. Bottom line; don't assume all drivers know this or that it is only a Thai driver problem. All 'western laws' are not the same, and as we know there are drivers here from many countries. Yes it is the law, and all drivers should be aware, but that is a fantasy world. Clearly the pedestrian must also use extra caution and common sense, not just rely on the so called law and a few lines on the road to protect them.

Yes in Australia you dont even need to cross you only need to look at a zebra crossing and cars will screech to a halt. I believe the heavy penalties imposed has something to do with it

Unfortunately in Kazahkstan if you step onto a crossing the traffic stops immediately.

I have seen many tourists with baffled looks when no one even notices them on crossings and certainly won't stop even when light controlled.

People need to realise road marked crossings are irrelevant in Thailand.

They are not same as similar crossings in Western countries, where it is compulsory for vehicle to give way to pedestrians.

The fundamental in Thailand is you cross a road at your own risk; irrespective of markings or traffic lights!

They are exactly the same as in Western countries. The law states that they must stop, however this is not enforced or followed.

Seems that many people are unaware of the rules as we have people asking. I hope you people don't drive here in Thailand, because if you don't know the rules, obviously you haven't done your Thai driving test and you are contributing to the problem. The law states that you must stop at pedestrian crossings and must stop at red lights. The exception to this is when turning left and you may do so at any time (unless sign posted not to) if there is a clear path. The law for crossings is exactly there same as in Western countries, however the problem is that it is not enforced or followed. Mainly due to a lazy police force not doing their job properly.

Most, not all, Thai's should not be allowed near a car let alone drive one (also anything with wheels). They are lunatics when they get behind the wheel with no regard for anyone or anything. They do it because they know the police wont stop them and if they do a couple of hundred Baht and they are free to continue on their way.

Thailand wont I know but it needs to wake up and stop adopting the apathetic attitude they have towards drivers.

People need to realise road marked crossings are irrelevant in Thailand.

They are not same as similar crossings in Western countries, where it is compulsory for vehicle to give way to pedestrians.

The fundamental in Thailand is you cross a road at your own risk; irrespective of markings or traffic lights!

They are exactly the same as in Western countries. The law states that they must stop, however this is not enforced or followed.

Sure, as is case in many situations here!

Can't rely on law/s to protect you.

They need to install traffic lights at this Zebra crossings, in order to get Thais to actually stop.

Oh.

Thais stopping for other people.... against their culture to do so. :(

It's nothing to do with their culture, it has to do with their education.

Drivers of motor vehicles should always stop for pedestrians crossing the street, period..

Pedestrians should always look out for motor vehicles, before crossing the street, period!

No doubt, the tuk tuk driver is at fault..

The tourist.. It's too late for him to do, what kids are taught to do before crossing the street..

That is, to make sure, no motor vehicles are coming, before you step foot into a crosswalk or street.

"On one occasion we stopped at this zebra crossing to allow tourists to cross the road. But each side of us other motorists refused to stop.

They must have known people were crossing but they still wouldn't stop."

Standard MO at every Zebra crossing I have seen.

And if traffic is backed up, the crossing, again, means nothing. They will obstruct it like it's not there.

I once witnessed a small, hunched over, elderly woman crossing at one in Thonglor.

A SUV was advancing fast while blasting their horn.

The woman had to hobble quickly out of it's path.

Some souless cretins out there...

This a terrible place for pedestrians to cross the road. There is a crossing as such but not very well marked. As it is right out the front of HH's busiest shopping mall, the area is super busy with buses, taxis, tuk tuks, minivans, bike taxis etc. There are Market Village traffic controllers in the area and sometimes they will assist pedestrians (farangs) half way across the road to the traffic island, which is a danger in itself, with the local bike taxis completing u-turns there through the barriers. The attraction on the other side is more taxis, baht bus and minivan stops. Also that is where the beach and several hotels are situated. Sure, there is a pedestrian overpass about 300m to the north, but in the HH heat, walking up there, over and back is a fair slog at times. This only makes for a good shady spot for BIB to set up their checkpoints. About 500m south, there is an actual pedestrian crossing right outside Bangkok Hospital, with traffic lights that sometimes work. Problem is, a lot of locals think that they don't have to stop at a red light here as they think they are private traffic lights owned by the hospital. I am serious as I've heard it direct from several Thais. So you have this long straight wide road that is basically a racetrack right through the centre of town. I'm surprised there are not more serious accidents there. I saw quite a few near misses in my time there, so it is certainly a black spot. RIP to the latest victim.

In 9 years I have never seen a vehicle or motor bike stop at a zebra crossing in Thailand. Is there single Thai who actually knows what they are? Problems tourists identify them as safety zones to cross where vehicles give way to pedestrians. The other problem is in Thailand they are kill zones and thais don't give a damn about a little bit of road kill.

maybe install a few of these electric ones that open when the light turns red.

Or some camera's that will flash you and send you the bill.

Come on Thailand its time to come out of the middle-ages , welcome the 21st century !!

Obviously, tire shredders are too hard core, but I totally agree, the only way to deal with this is to get serious about it. Which I reckon most of use long term people don't see happening anytime soon, if ever.

50 m. away there is a bridge for pedistian (sp) that no one use,there is no warning light there and busses,tuk tuk and motorbike taxis and other drop people there ,so it can be difficult to cross the street there.In the link there is not so much traffic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.5580441,99.9609929,3a,60y,351.54h,82.15t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sipBCnV8zrjFoIzmaDoJc_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thailand is a <deleted> disgrace when it comes to Thai driver's flaunting Highway Rules, i.e. Jumping red lights, not stopping at crossing's the list goes on and on. No one's safe, pedestrians, motorcyclists, whoever!

RIP Kazakh man.

I'm always amazed. Thais are the nicest people face to face, but when they drive all that goes out the window.

It shows you that they have no regard for the personal safety of others. They are nice on the exterior but cold cold hearts.

They need to install traffic lights at this Zebra crossings, in order to get Thais to actually stop.

Oh.

Thais stopping for other people.... against their culture to do so. sad.png

They tried that in Phrae.........cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifwai.gif

maybe install a few of these electric ones that open when the light turns red.

Or some camera's that will flash you and send you the bill.

Come on Thailand its time to come out of the middle-ages , welcome the 21st century !!

Obviously, tire shredders are too hard core, but I totally agree, the only way to deal with this is to get serious about it. Which I reckon most of use long term people don't see happening anytime soon, if ever.

I actually don't think the shredders are so hard core compared with the number of people killed on the roads in Thailand. When you are dealing with hard core law breakers, a suitable deterrent should be available.

Archived