Tuk-tuk mows down Kazakh tourist on Hua Hin zebra crossing

webfact

I like those double rolling speed bumps like where I grew up. driving slow is fine. Hit them going fast and the first bump compresses the shocks so the next bump bottoms out the entire front end and you know you hit it and can damage your car.

Yes, those really would knacker any tuk-tuk that failed to slow in time. But putting them in involves time, work and money, all going onto something in which Thais have little interest - safety.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry. It's just another farang! Nothing will change, as most of the Thai people have their heads up their a-holes and know that they are untouchable. Another bribe and it will be sorted!

But hey! This is a corrupt, Middle Ages country trying to live in the twenty-first century! What do you expect?

Not exactly farang; Asian-European.

Believe it or not the Thai authorities are capable of learning from mistakes. Remember when some genious decided to add and subtract lanes on lower Sukhumvit? Depending on traffic they would swap one of the 2 lanes and split them so they were going in opposite directions ..until a tourist who had been to Thailand before and crossed the same way as always near soi 4 nana bts but surprise as he crossed a cement truck was coming the other way and killed him. They did away with that stupid system straight away after that.

What a load of complete and utter nonsense. Thai authorities are incapable of learning anything except where the next big back-hander will come from. People's lives matter less than a decent bribe of a few thousand baht. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

Don't worry. It's just another farang! Nothing will change, as most of the Thai people have their heads up their a-holes and know that they are untouchable. Another bribe and it will be sorted!

But hey! This is a corrupt, Middle Ages country trying to live in the twenty-first century! What do you expect?

Not exactly farang; Asian-European.
Apologies! To the farangs

using a zebra crossing in Thailand is asking for trouble

Yeah, it is; the RTP do occasionally clamp a car parked on one; though the fact it will continue to block the crossing until the driver returns, sees the clamp, jumps on a m/c taxi to the nearest station to pay the fine, eventually has the offending object removed, doesn't enter the equation. And the miscreant will doubtless be back the next day, and parked in the same spot.

I've never understood why they don't try this tactic, except that it would be a lot of work.

Have stealth officers waiting for violations and then CHASE them when they do, and set the fine super high, like 50,000 baht.

Publicize that nationally and actually do it.

Wouldn't that work? In the meantime raising a massive amount of money. A win win except from the criminals.

It seems to me the fact that they never try anything that serious is that the culture here has never been serious about actually protecting pedestrians ... treating them like expendable peasant garbage is clearly part of the social fabric here.

Wouldnt work they would squeal and cry like the little girls they are, i can hear the whining now "were poor why are you doing this to us" blah blah cant accept any responsibility.

Wife s sister turned up yesterday arrived in a car theyd bought which costs them 5 k a month on a salary of 9k a month, no driving licence and got a baby too and rents a house????? gawd knows how on 9k, back lights already broken on the car.

The mentality of many here doesnt allow your "way" to work.

Heres a solution right here to start action on drunk drivers and those zebra crossings and FURTHER reduce police inactivitivity/corruption when it comes to road rules and bribery.

Just to let you know a little about me. I have lived in Thailand altogether for about 1.5 years, Been to Pattaya and Phuket and many other places. The first thing I noticed was the zebra crossings in both major tourist areas and other towns where no vehicles stop even when an older person is on it and has given the driver ample time for cars/bikes to gve them right of way and STOP so as to be able to cross the road. As I said to my Thai wife," the crossings are a waste of paint".

Solution:

Have the thai copper stand at each busy crossing when cars/bikes do not stop pull them over Fine them 20 Bah. Half takings go to the copper and half to police force.

Within 6 hrs I am sure the copper at least makes 1,000 bah the police station makes the other 1,000 bah. All happy and justice done for all.

Also whilst the copper gets the fine and realises the driver whether Falang or Thai is drunk he further gets a bonus after the charge and penalty.All solved,

Before you know it every zebra crossing will have an actve copper and the death toll will drop dramatically.

Finally, I hope the paint used, "will not be a waste of paint" once ths idea goes forward.

Lights don't stop Thai drivers. Traffic lights are simply an annoyance.

I almost got hit by a big truck at a zebra crossing in front of Tonys gym in Pattaya. I stopped and looked both ways. No traffic in one direction and in the other ddirection traffic was stopped. So I cautiously proceeded only to have a truck cross over the center line and go in the wrong direction to avoid the stopped traffic. I didn't see him ,as he was now going in the wrong direction, and he almost hit me.

Easy.

Paint out the Zebra crossing.

It's dangerous as it gives tourists a totally false sense of security.

Thailand hasn't evolved far enough for Zebra crossings to be used here.

That's absolutely correct. Thais understand them as a place recommended for crossing the road but at your on risk and with no obligation on drivers to stop or any legal sanctions if they run someone over. They should realise they are extremely dangerous for newly arrived foreigners who believe that cars are obliged to stop at them, as consistent with the international standards that Thai government officials love to claim they always follow.

A few years ago a British couple on honeymoon were mown down and killed exactly like this near the Royal Palace in Bangkok.

Another thing Thais need to change on the roads, if they want to follow international standards is stop drivers flashing their lights when they mean, "<deleted> I am coming through regardless of any consequences to anyone's life of limb."

Can anyone tell me what the actual law states (layman terms) as far as the zebra crossings? As a resident of Hua Hin I wait at these crossing for the traffic to pass because no one stops anyway. Education and enforcement needed

Heres a solution right here to start action on drunk drivers and those zebra crossings and FURTHER reduce police inactivitivity/corruption when it comes to road rules and bribery.

Just to let you know a little about me. I have lived in Thailand altogether for about 1.5 years, Been to Pattaya and Phuket and many other places. The first thing I noticed was the zebra crossings in both major tourist areas and other towns where no vehicles stop even when an older person is on it and has given the driver ample time for cars/bikes to gve them right of way and STOP so as to be able to cross the road. As I said to my Thai wife," the crossings are a waste of paint".

Solution:

Have the thai copper stand at each busy crossing when cars/bikes do not stop pull them over Fine them 20 Bah. Half takings go to the copper and half to police force.

Within 6 hrs I am sure the copper at least makes 1,000 bah the police station makes the other 1,000 bah. All happy and justice done for all.

Also whilst the copper gets the fine and realises the driver whether Falang or Thai is drunk he further gets a bonus after the charge and penalty.All solved,

Before you know it every zebra crossing will have an actve copper and the death toll will drop dramatically.

Finally, I hope the paint used, "will not be a waste of paint" once ths idea goes forward.

a great shame, i think it should be written in the travel brochures that in this country NO ONE stops for you on a crosssing, people come here and do not know this, crossings are one of the most dangerous places for pedestrians

YES! A Large Sign in both English and Thai. posted around airports, advising that No one gives way at a zebra crossing.

An ounce of prevention.....why not paint zig-zag lines for 20 metres or so, before each zebra crossing. This is done in many countries, and is also a no stopping or parking area.

However, pedestrians are given scant regard: look at the state of the paths, signs and advertising filling the walking areas. Possible a slightly higher priority than moving beach umbrellas.

on Sukhumvit in Bangkok when there is a sudden break in the traffic of around 100m and I attempt to cross the road it is still deadly as lunatics accelerate to as fast as their car will go to close that gap ..only to be stuck in the same traffic ahead blink.png

The only way to change behaviour is to have zero tolerance and enforce the laws. That may be by putting traffic cameras over crosswalks with signals and at red lights - and send out tickets - if not paid within 30 days a wheel clamp goes on -- and 60 days the vehicle is confiscated and auctioned off.

Enforce Traffic laws? you've got to be joking. Look at safety helmets on motor cyclists. There wouldn't be in in 10 wearing one. Might have one in the shopping basket!!

The Thai Driver's manual states quite clearly that you are to stop for pedestrians in a zebra crossing. Correct me if I'm mistaken. But in a country where you can still pay a corrupt examiner to pass both the written test and the driving test and get a license, far too many Thais behind the wheel of a lethal weapon are totally unaware of the regulation, not that it would matter to most anyway. More than one Thai person has commented to me that Thais show no consideration for others, that they think only of themselves.

Maybe if the travelguides would blatently point out to potential tourists before they arrive that it is unsafe for a pedestrian to cross any road and especially in a zebra zone, the Thai Tourist Authority might actually get serious and ask the police to actually enforce driving regulations...I know....dream on!

I have stopped at that crossing, put my hazards on to warn other drivers and yet still had to put my hand up to warn pedestrians to wait as I could see a car on my right with no intention of slowing down......my worry is that I may be causing more harm than good by stopping, which is a ludicrous situation to be in.....would I be accountable if, god forbid, someone was hurt?

I know it is counter-intuitive for many of us, but the only relatively safe thing to do is follow the flow. Match the locals, tit-for-tat. We don't need to be confounding any pedestrians either. Generally, they have the situation handled. If and when we are the only only car moving on a given road, then by all means, a full stop is certainly in order. Especially if there are children involved.

There is a set of traffic lights a few hundred yard down the road from this incident. I'm talking about the crossing at Bangkok Hospital. On a few occasions I have approached this and the lights have changed to red.

The amount of people who charge through on the red light is frightening. Need a barrier to come down like the railway crossings!

Don't get me started on roundabouts.

on Sukhumvit in Bangkok when there is a sudden break in the traffic of around 100m and I attempt to cross the road it is still deadly as lunatics accelerate to as fast as their car will go to close that gap ..only to be stuck in the same traffic ahead blink.png

The only way to change behaviour is to have zero tolerance and enforce the laws. That may be by putting traffic cameras over crosswalks with signals and at red lights - and send out tickets - if not paid within 30 days a wheel clamp goes on -- and 60 days the vehicle is confiscated and auctioned off.

Believe me, that will not help, in a threat before I explaine, the drivers will change the licenseplates with a fake one.

"They" steal it from my car so too.

Only haevy controlle on licenseplate together with the blue book will help.

But as far as I can see now, it won't happens!

I have stopped at that crossing, put my hazards on to warn other drivers and yet still had to put my hand up to warn pedestrians to wait as I could see a car on my right with no intention of slowing down......my worry is that I may be causing more harm than good by stopping, which is a ludicrous situation to be in.....would I be accountable if, god forbid, someone was hurt?

yes you would because if you hadnt stopped they wouldnt have tried to cross. it bugs the crap out of me when i see people struggling to cross but i know for sure that if i stop some c-nut will swerve around me and kill the pedesterians

I wonder how Thai's can be so polite but will never give way to anyone. Either in cars or even going through a doorway. They don't seem to understand that if I approach a doorway and am partway through it there is insufficent room for them to pass as well, but they won't stop, just push through anyway. Same on the roads - I flashed my lights, I'm coming through. To hell with you!! Where is the legendary politeness in that?

I have wondered about this myself and the only conclusion is that Thai politeness is exactly that...Legendary. Something only to be found in myth and legend. One can gauge the politeness of a society in the way that they drive and the common courtesy they provide to others who they will probably never see or meet again or gain anything from. Its easy to be polite when your job requires it or if you are attempting to get on the good side of someone for personal gain or advantage. Its something else to be conciderate and to treat people the way you wish them to treat you for no gain but for your self gratification of being kind to another human being without thought for yourself. Something I am yet to see in Thailand. But who knows perhaps I have not been to the places in Thailand where this legendary politeness for no personal gain hails from. I am sure it exists but certainly not prevalent enough to paint the whole of Thailand in the same picture...not even close! The Chinese IMO are about a million times worse!

In my opinion is the problem, the Thai have the habbit's, they thinking the world is turning around them, call it selfish, but it's more than that.

It's with many things, f.e. when they say goodbye, they don't really say it, they turn and walk back. You'll see it with many things, they handle like they are alone in the world.

They need to install traffic lights at this Zebra crossings, in order to get Thais to actually stop.

Oh.

Thais stopping for other people.... against their culture to do so. sad.png

Unfair! The sun was in every driver's eyes all day and in all directions when the video was made. They couldn't see the red light. Thais always stop at red lights and zebra crossings. It's Thai culture to stop.

Yours faithfully,

The Director of the Thai Public Relations Department

In Thailand, zebra crossing are street art.

That's actually true.

There was an incident years back, from memory in Pattaya, a young civil engineer was in charge of building or renewing a road, he told the men to paint a zebra crossing.

When asked what it meant, he didn't know but added 'it makes it look more professional'.

In reality in Thailand, as in most countries, the exact location is specifically documented in the road drawings and is officially approved / certified.

Didnt they bring out some form of lights a couple of years ago on crossings in Patts.They were called 'tourist safe crossings'.They even had the little green walking

man on them.There was one at the top of soi 6/1.I used to try and cross there after doing my TEFL course.Of course no one stopped and completely ignored the lights,and also anyone on the crossing.They even came out with some bullshit about there would be a policeman present at every one of these crossings.One day i saw on the crossing that the light had been put permanently on Amber.i wonder how much money was wasted on this exercise,because the lights quickly disappeared.

I think they wee so bloody dangerous,they were like an invitation to commit suicide.

a great shame, i think it should be written in the travel brochures that in this country NO ONE stops for you on a crosssing, people come here and do not know this, crossings are one of the most dangerous places for pedestrians

Not only for pedestrians, but also for vehicle drivers following road rules and stop at pedestrian crossings when people are crossing because frequently vehicles behind will rear-end the stopped vehicle and to add injury to insult vehicles on either side will speed past and hit the pedestrians in the crossing if it isn't their Lucky Day.

ZEBRA crossing in the whole of Thailand MUST be removed, putting up traffic lights does not make one iota of a difference, Pattaya installed Zebra crossing traffic lighst and no one takes any notice of them, they plow right through them with pedestrians (Foreigners of course) in the crossing. Good example is the Zebra crossing traffic light controlled at the Pattaya intercity bus terminus were the foreigners getting off the busses use the pedestrian crossing as they do in their home country but being in a foreign country they stand and look before entering the crossing but never enter because vehicles DO NOT STOP. Good first experience coming to Pattaya. Remove that Zebra crossing, it is a deathtrap.

Didnt they bring out some form of lights a couple of years ago on crossings in Patts.They were called 'tourist safe crossings'.They even had the little green walking

man on them.There was one at the top of soi 6/1.I used to try and cross there after doing my TEFL course.Of course no one stopped and completely ignored the lights,and also anyone on the crossing.They even came out with some bullshit about there would be a policeman present at every one of these crossings.One day i saw on the crossing that the light had been put permanently on Amber.i wonder how much money was wasted on this exercise,because the lights quickly disappeared.

I think they wee so bloody dangerous,they were like an invitation to commit suicide.

They costed only 200 Million, and they are all set on amber or switched off now.

Can anyone tell me what the actual law states (layman terms) as far as the zebra crossings? As a resident of Hua Hin I wait at these crossing for the traffic to pass because no one stops anyway. Education and enforcement needed

Solution:

No-one takes any notice of the cops.....Thai drivers will just keep on going!

Archived