My Cost of Living. Documented.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW a new member, joined 38 minutes ago and first post are about how much the spend in a month in Thailand, very curious indeed, given its these sorts of threads normally result in lots of posts and battles of the cheap charlies, which it seems hasnt happened in a while it appears

Well he has some experience living in Thailand ...

Age 36, have lived in Thailand for 10 years.

... and his post doesn't involve whining & moaning or struggling with fairly straight forward immigration issues, so I would say it was a refreshing departure from the usual litany of complaints and despair so often posted and he seems to be managing life in Thailand quite well.

It's also possible he's been reading TV for years and just decided now was the time to post.

Hopefully he can weather all the negativity that will probably be generated by those whose lives aren't as pleasant and who wile away the hours taking pot shots at anyone not knee-deep in misery like themselves.

Guess I'm doing ok at 16k a month then....smile.png

You got me beat I and my g/f are about double that. Careful Charlie they will add another C word in front of your name. A lot of high rollers on here but a trip through the hospital doors soon changes that. There are a lot of gringo's sorry farang here living on a shoe string. I was brought up in an era where you save something for a rainy day. If there is no rainy day my g/f can use the money to go on down the long path that is called the journey of life.

Havent you got that the wrong way round, unsually the high rollers as you call them have made provision for trips to the hospital by virtue of the fact they have paid for medical insurance and its the gringo's living on here on a shoe string who havent got medical insurance and its typically them were the problems start with trips to the hospital, and havent put something away for a rainy day and are living state pension check to state pension check

WOW a new member, joined 38 minutes ago and first post are about how much the spend in a month in Thailand, very curious indeed, given its these sorts of threads normally result in lots of posts and battles of the cheap charlies, which it seems hasnt happened in a while it appears

Well he has some experience living in Thailand ...

Age 36, have lived in Thailand for 10 years.

... and his post doesn't involve whining & moaning or struggling with fairly straight forward immigration issues, so I would say it was a refreshing departure from the usual litany of complaints and despair so often posted and he seems to be managing life in Thailand quite well.

It's also possible he's been reading TV for years and just decided now was the time to post.

Hopefully he can weather all the negativity that will probably be generated by those whose lives aren't as pleasant and who wile away the hours taking pot shots at anyone not knee-deep in misery like themselves.

Or of course it could be an existing member posting under another name with the intent to troll and to start the cheap charlie wars, wherein the cheap charlies slag off everyone who spends more than they do, and they go into competition on who can spend the least..

The fact this thread is in "pub" tells you something, and the OP have never been back to comment further as one assumes his job is done

You can always tell which posters are American due to their addiction to medical insurance.

I hope the insurance covers therapy for needing it in order to breathe. biggrin.png

Guess you responded straight after mine so your inferring i am American ?

Wrong answer i am from the UK and have had private medical insurance, and private pension my whole working life, as i believe in looking after myself and standing on my own two feet, without having to put my grubbly little hand looking for a handout from the state

Yeah, 70-80k for a family with a kid or two. Not that cheap if income is Thai standard, basically +-0 left to save. Fine if income is western level.

Crazy low if you're trying to raise a family! Most decent 2 bedroom condos will start at 45,000 baht / month - just like houses - but those are far out.

70-80k pays my rent + utilities and I didn't have a meal yet. I wish I could go back to being single and live in a studio but those days are looooong gone.

Well, I might as well answer some questions in order to sedate some posters emotions. biggrin.png

With our child, we choose to live in a house rather than my condo, so I rent out my condo and we rent out a house. My wife’s house that she rents out is in a different province.

240k baht in uni fees... yes, she’s doing a distance MA with a British University. I pay ¼, she pays ¼, her parents pay ½.

Coffee facepalm.gif
yes, we use a machine, the price is for a packet of coffee beans that we grind.

School fees, we had the choice to pay monthly or by term, we chose monthly as might have moved during the term.

Insurances: all paid annually, not monthly, all of which are due in October and November… Can you wait that long to find out or is the excitement too much? biggrin.png

Visas – annual extension, paid, ummm, annually, not monthly.

Motorbike service: It’s a Ducati, 10k baht isn't expensive. laugh.png

Purpose of the thread: Solely to annoy Jdiddy.

Lunch: about 200-300b or so, once or twice a week, other wise home prepped food. :)
See you on the 1st of next month.

Well, I might as well answer some questions in order to sedate some posters emotions. biggrin.png

With our child, we choose to live in a house rather than my condo, so I rent out my condo and we rent out a house. My wife’s house that she rents out is in a different province.

240k baht in uni fees... yes, she’s doing a distance MA with a British University. I pay ¼, she pays ¼, her parents pay ½.

Coffee facepalm.gif yes, we use a machine, the price is for a packet of coffee beans that we grind.

School fees, we had the choice to pay monthly or by term, we chose monthly as might have moved during the term.

Insurances: all paid annually, not monthly, all of which are due in October and November… Can you wait that long to find out or is the excitement too much? biggrin.png

Visas – annual extension, paid, ummm, annually, not monthly.

Motorbike service: It’s a Ducati, 10k baht isn't expensive. laugh.png

Purpose of the thread: Solely to annoy Jdiddy.

Lunch: about 200-300b or so, once or twice a week, other wise home prepped food. smile.png
See you on the 1st of next month.

Is there an explanation for the huge amount of gas ?

Yeah, 70-80k for a family with a kid or two. Not that cheap if income is Thai standard, basically +-0 left to save. Fine if income is western level.

70-80k pays my rent + utilities and I didn't have a meal yet. I wish I could go back to being single and live in a studio but those days are looooong gone.

70-80k is not crazy low.

Not everyone wants to live in downtown Bangkok.

With the amount of Thai women PhDs in Thailand it's just amazing they're not at the forefront of Space Exploration,surely it's only a matter of time before they overtake NASA and their famous Jet Propulsion Laboratory,the Americans must be seriously worried! whistling.gif

Gas = petrol, I'm sure. facepalm.gif How long have you been in Thailand? laugh.png

I'm from Australia, gas is what you cook with.

That does explain it though, I will be able to sleep now, biggrin.png

I budget 100k Baht a month and never run short but no rent to pay.

Leftovers go to pay for trips around the region or into the bank.

Some days expenses are 3-5k but if eating krapow and swimming in the condo pool and watching TV then it costs next to nothing.

Easy to live in Bangkok on 50k a month without much effort.

Different pattern for retirees on small pensions I know but owning your property and keeping 800k in the bank should be a prerequisite really.

Medical insurance is a personal choice...no one is going to suggest it's better not to have it....many let it slide in the west too due to rising costs....that one is a bottomless pit the older you become sadly.

Me thinks poser wanting to say "hey I earn 200,000B a month". Then again he might just be trying to contribute info to TVF.

Me, I was always taught that if you are fortunate enough to have high income that modesty was best policy

Gas = petrol, I'm sure. facepalm.gif How long have you been in Thailand? laugh.png

Yanks and their gas :) I have never had an idea how the word gas can be extracted or shortened from Petroleum? Gas is even a physical term for the state of a substance, the liquid going into my car us not gaseous. But we forgive the Americans screwing with the language because they gave us McDonald's & good movies

Yanks and their gas smile.png I have never had an idea how the word gas can be extracted or shortened from Petroleum? Gas is even a physical term for the state of a substance, the liquid going into my car us not gaseous. But we forgive the Americans screwing with the language because they gave us McDonald's & good movies

It's short for gasoline

What's wrong with you?

Me thinks poser wanting to say "hey I earn 200,000B a month". Then again he might just be trying to contribute info to TVF.

Me, I was always taught that if you are fortunate enough to have high income that modesty was best policy

I'd consider that a terrible month. B)

At my current state of employment so would I; but that is exactly my point, no need to point it out

At my current state of employment so would I; but that is exactly my point, no need to point it out

Why not?

It's a cost of living thread....I never suggested you need huge amounts to live on....indeed I stated I could live on 50k a month quite happily.

In truth you brought up the subject...probably to show off your own willy. :lol:

I'd consider that a terrible month. cool.png

I'd consider it my worst hour at work,ever! whistling.gif

Yanks and their gas smile.png I have never had an idea how the word gas can be extracted or shortened from Petroleum? Gas is even a physical term for the state of a substance, the liquid going into my car us not gaseous. But we forgive the Americans screwing with the language because they gave us McDonald's & good movies

From a country who's greeting is 'Fair Dinkum,Cobber',seriously? blink.png

It's short for gasoline

What's wrong with you?

Gasoline is an American derivative of Petroleum, look it up. It is an invented word

And gasoline is still the best word to describe it.

From a country who's greeting is 'Fair Dinkum,Cobber',seriously? blink.png

"Fair dinkum cobber" isn't a greeting.

"Gday numbnuts" is.

I see the posters that make less than he spends on just his overheads are all indignant about it. laugh.png

This topic does tend to bring out the green-eyed monsters

Good old budget envy

Strange reaction by many.

While I get that this topic has been discussed hundreds, if not thousands of times, it is predictable who will likely respond with flaming envy. I for one enjoy reading the data people supply. I think some are compelled to as a huge number of foreigners come here thinking they can live the life of a king for $500 to $750 a month. after the dust settles they realize its not so glamorous living in that dirty studio in a congested soi eating street food wearing the same clothes every day. LOL!!!

You can always tell which posters are American due to their addiction to medical insurance.

I hope the insurance covers therapy for needing it in order to breathe. biggrin.png

I really laughed hard at that DLang, Americans are obsessed(I mean REALLY obsessed) with medical care and coverage. Its weird. I am American and that's all I hear and heard, Medical that, Medical this, supplemental this and that. Most of these people took poor care of themselves and now they are severely ailing. All they worry about is medicines and personal care, it has consumed their lives to the point they are not living anymore, they stress over it which makes them even sicker. Sad really. I especially love the ones that complain about having to take generic meds versus the real trademark brand names. Like it really matters.

As for the OP not posting health insurance costs. At 36 why would he. He is likely healthy as is wife at 33. I wouldn't even consider health insurance. In fact I didn't albeit most companies offer it in the US but I never even picked a doctor. I think this clearly shows the age of a majority of posters. As for car insurance, he could amortize it over 12 months even though it's an annual renewal. Probably 150 baht a month.

Its too bad he didn't make his first post with 6 months of data. I think these posts are good for newbies or people looking at moving here. It is not as cheap as many think it is. can not base life here on 1 week eating street food staying in a dive apartment. LOL!. Clearly people will live life differently and have significantly varying personal expectations. I do not judge people and how they live, I mean I could never live on 20,000 baht a month but I own a house with my wife, am very active, travel around, have 2 cars etc. But maybe for senior citizen type who requires nothing more than a studio apartment, computer and a stove with everything they might want to venture out and do within walking distance, its perfect. whatever works.

Don't bash the OP. Its his snapshot of life here.

People are going on about the OP as a sign of wealth or showing off a high standard of living.....

For a family with a young child they are spending 2000 Euros... 2200 US Dollars.... 100,000,000 GBP per month (based on current currency worth).

1/4 of which are repayments and uni fees that aren't going towards family costs.

Yeah, big show of wealth. rolleyes.gif

Archived