Raging bull elephant tears apart owner

webfact

Raging bull elephant tears apart owner
Phuket Gazette

el.jpeg
Locals gather at the site of the carnage in a Krabi forest caused by an elephant on heat. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

KRABI: An enraged bull elephant crushed his 64-year-old mahout to death while working at a rubber plantation in Krabi yesterday afternoon.

The 26-year-old elephant, named Plai Khai, was in musth and had been chained to a tree for two days before the attack. He turned on his mahout, Sawai Lantee, when he went to check on the chains.

“The elephant lunged at Mr Sawai, bent forward, and crushed him into the ground with his trunk,” said Yuttapong Chaisit, 24, another mahout working at the plantation, who tried to save his friend from the elephant’s violent outburst.

“I stabbed the elephant with the elephant hook to distract him so I could drag Mr Sawai away but the elephant turned on me and I had to drop him and flee for my own life.”

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Raging-bull-elephant-tears-apart-owner/64174?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-07-05

“I stabbed the elephant with the elephant hook to distract him so I could drag Mr Sawai away but the elephant turned on me and I had to drop him and flee for my own life.”

The act of the mahout jabbing them in the back of the head with these hooks is the done thing in controlling their movements. They say it doesn't hurt them as their skin is so thick, but they regularly draw blood and mot have scars there. The Lampang elephant sanctuary place is supposedly one of better setups, but have seem them do it here also. These majestic animals shouldn't be used and abused like this and I feel little sympathy for chappie who chained this one up.

If they're destined to be working animals wouldn't the smart thing to do would be to turn most into "steers" when young? Or are they protected.....

A bull in musk seems to be a dangerously nightmarish creature given the amount of reported incidents.......

The act of the mahout jabbing them in the back of the head with these hooks is the done thing in controlling their movements. They say it doesn't hurt them as their skin is so thick, but they regularly draw blood and mot have scars there. The Lampang elephant sanctuary place is supposedly one of better setups, but have seem them do it here also. These majestic animals shouldn't be used and abused like this and I feel little sympathy for chappie who chained this one up.

I don't suppose it matters what he done now................it's irrelephant

I too have seen the evidence of elephant hooks at Lamphang as well and it's supposed to be a sanctuary (in the name of tourism dollar I think)

Archived