Overstaying

So I've heard that overstaying your visa in myanmar -- even for a couple weeks -- is no big deal, immigration just charges you USD 3 per day, no troubles. Anyone here done this recently? I'm thinking of overstaying for a few days, maybe a week, and I'll be exiting overland myawaddy into mae sot.

While I wouldn't recommend overstaying anywhere in the world, yes the overstay fine is US$3 per day (payable also in MMK), but your overstay shouldn't be too long. I heard max. 45 days (or is it 30?). If it's a week or two, shouldn't be a big problem.

Personally though, I'd recommend trying to apply for a business visa (just find some company in Myanmar that can "invite" you) then you get 70 days, which can be extended. Might be a better option for you. Otherwise, leave after the 28 days that a standard Myanmar visa allows, apply for another one in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, then re-enter Myanmar. There is no limit to the number of times you can do this, though it is a little inconvenient.

I'm friends with one of the chiefs of the Myawady immigration office. He told me that often, overstaying backpackers were allowed to leave without paying a fine, because "they didn't have enough money". Having said that, I would recommend being apologetic and paying the fine. Thailand by contrast, is no longer tolerant of overstayers like it used to be.

If I do overstay, it will only be a few days; I'll gladly pay the $3 per.

I'd imagine repeatedly entering thailand (in order to get myanmar visas) might eventually draw a bad reaction from thai immigration, given the way things currently are.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: exited Myanmar at myawaddy with 6 day overstay,paid the fine/fee,no problems.

You will save a little money if you pay in USD as opposed to the higher rate in kyat of 1300 MMK per day. Also you will be asked for a photocopy of your passport's information page, Myanmar visa,and entry stamp, but these can be done at a nearby shop.

Archived