Chinese tourist faces amputation after getting mangled in speedboat propeller near Koh Phi Phi

webfact

why was this guy swimming around the boat to start with, very likely the boat crew didn't know the guy was there. Got to put it on the swimmer for going into danger. I know that is defiantlyaganist the Thai bashing rules

Getting on and off these boats is from the stern via a ladder which is right next to the motors. Maybe he was trying to get on or off?

Do boat mishaps only happen to tourists, or are the Thai victims not news? I would imagine country wide, there are lot more Thais than tourists at risk from bad boat boys. but one rarely sees headlines like this concerning Thai tourists or fishermen etc. perhaps Thais know better and don't get into boat victim situations, or maybe its because the amulets work better on boats than pick-up trucks, or perhaps its because they are not commercially important?

Sounds like an inexperienced crew, too young for the job.

It would onlyh be safe to go swimming if you had the boat keys in your pocket.

What a tragic accident and a young kid has his life ruined and possibly ended because of this ineptitude.

why was this guy swimming around the boat to start with, very likely the boat crew didn't know the guy was there. Got to put it on the swimmer for going into danger. I know that is defiantlyaganist the Thai bashing rules

OK, no Thai bashing. We can't criticize the boat operator for not being aware that one of his passengers was in the water and near the boat while his engine is running. We shouldn't expect him to be fully aware of his passengers at all times. Nope. We all know tourists are stupid. Or at least ignorant and unaware of risks involved in these kinds of "activities". It is the tour guide's responsibility to know this, and to babysit them if you want to use this term, but nonetheless, that's what you have to do, eyes sharp at all times, or don't enter the profession. The tourist is the victim of both his own stupidity and the boat operator's negligence. But, this is Thailand.

How about the part where the tourist yelled out that he was stuck under the engine. And the boat crew then revved the engine. Make sense to you, does it?

CHINESE tour guide calls police... hmmm,.. officially there are no Chinese tour guides ?!?

Sad accident again. They close massage parlors, they close beach bars, they shut down bars early but killing or seriously injuring people still seems to be not a serious problem.

I read only yesterday that some official said that Thailand was now safe for tourists and that accidents like that would never happen again.

I haven't found the link yet.

You are right. It was TAT and they had a "PLAN". It called for three solutions plan and it was named the Stay Safe Solution.

TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn said that the TAT will be proposing a new tourism safety plan to the policy committee’s meeting, It sounds like she hasn't got around to doing that yet.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/923334-tat-to-propose-tourism-safety-plan/

Chinese tourist slashed by engine propeller off Phuket dies of injuries
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1468212707_1-org.jpg
Li Yuheng, 18, died from injuries he sustained when hit the the propeller of a speedboat engine last Thursday. Photo: Harsha K R/Flickr

PHUKET: The 18-year-old Chinese tourist who was wounded by a speedboat engine propeller when swimming in the sea last Thursday (July 8) died from his injuries later the same day The Phuket News has learned.

Meanwhile, one of the speedboat’s crew has since been charged with recklessness causing the death of another person.

Lt Col Cheatpan Vichaidit, Chief Investigator at Phi Phi Police Station told The Phuket News today (July 11), “I can confirm that despite all efforts to save him, Mr Li died at 11.23 pm on July 8 at Krabi Hospital due to the injuries he sustained after being hit by the propeller.

“The tour company’s insurance has paid about B2.3 million in compensation to Mr Li’s family, the tour company also covered the costs of the family’s visit to Thailand following the incident,” he said.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-tourist-slashed-by-engine-propeller-off-phuket-dies-of-injuries-58210.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-11

((boat driver and/or captain) incompetence)^(100-IQ)

and I hope the family of this young lad will find a way to cope with the loss of their child

(when did the single child policy stop ?)

I guess the swimmer should have known better to go in the water with a boat driver? In no way it is the fault of the swimmer. One has strict P/P when motorized/mechanical/moving parts equipment and humans are in play....

Willful negligence causing death....falls out of the definition an accident...

CB

((boat driver and/or captain) incompetence)^(100-IQ)

and I hope the family of this young lad will find a way to cope with the loss of their child

(when did the single child policy stop ?)

October of 2015 I think. It was changed to allow two children. However, plenty of Chinese have two and more in HK for example and Shenzhen too. It was changed because of the aging population

Worrying that such retards are in charge of speedboats - you have a guy stuck under the boat, near the outboard propellers, and then you REVERSE it. Complete stupidity.

They should have jumped in, dived down, and hauled him out.

Worrying that such retards are in charge of speedboats - you have a guy stuck under the boat, near the outboard propellers, and then you REVERSE it. Complete stupidity.

have had some experience working with people afflicted with downs syndrome (retarded). imo it is a disservice to the downs syndrome people to refer to the boat driver as a retard

First point - the people providing boat transport in Phuket/Phang nga/ Krabi, are incapable of doing so in a safe manner.

Second point - attractions in Phang Nga bay are getting swamped with boat driven tourists to the extent that places like Maya bay are threatened.

Is it just me, or is the solution here not quite obvious?

Reading the original article it appears that the swimmer swam under or near the boat: "As the tourists were entering the water for a swim one shouted that he had got stuck under the engine". Sometimes these Chinese tourists just do things that are totally unexpected, ungrammatical behavior, that people just can't anticipate, and then the Thai tour operators react by making the wrong decision. Same type of situation caused the death at the zipline up in Chiang Mai last year. Whether it is deciding to swim under a boat in an open bay or not putting your feet down when over a zipline platform, Thai tourist operators have to anticipate the totally unexpected when dealing with Chinese tourists.

“The tour company’s insurance has paid about B2.3 million in compensation to Mr Li’s family,

the tour company also covered the costs of the family’s visit to Thailand following the incident,” he said.

I surprised about that fastness. blink.pngsad.png

have had some experience working with people afflicted with downs syndrome (retarded). imo it is a disservice to the downs syndrome people to refer to the boat driver as a retard

There is no direct association between 'retarded' and downs syndrome in my mind nor in the couple of dictionaries I checked with other than the adjective 'retarded' could be used. You are being picky and off topic.

There is no direct association between 'retarded' and downs syndrome in my mind nor in the couple of dictionaries I checked with other than the adjective 'retarded' could be used. You are being picky and off topic.

i realize the term "retarded" has become politically incorrect but theres an abundance of medical literature about it. even research into why they may develop decreased cognitive function

"The majority of children with Down syndrome function in the mild to moderate range of mental retardation. However, some children are not mentally retarded at all; they may function in the borderline to low average range; others may be severely mentally retarded."

http://www.ds-health.com/pueschel.htm Dr. Pueschel was until recently a Professor of Pediatrics at Brown University and Director of the Child Development Center at Rhode Island Hospital. The following is an essay that was written in 1992 for The ARC of Rhode Island and was on their website.

Gene linked to mental retardation in Down syndrome http://news.stanford.edu/news/2006/july12/med-downsynd-071206.html On the cause of mental retardation in Down syndrome: extrapolation from full and segmental trisomy 16 mouse models.
Abstract

Down syndrome (DS, trisomy 21, Ts21) is the most common known cause of mental retardation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11336779

Archived