Pickup running better in Malaysia?

garyk

Not sure why but my old Ford ranger 2.5 liter runes better after entering Malaysia. After a few fill ups the engine starts running smoother and all rough idle problems smooth right out?

In Thailand I use Shell and when I go to Malaysia I use Shell also. So, not sure what the difference is. Is there a difference in the diesel between Malaysia and Thailand?

I usually spend a few months a year in Malaysia during the rainy season. So I have noticed the same thing for the past few years.

Anyone got any idea's why?

Only idea:

the vast majority of diesel fuel sold in Thailand has some palm oil added.

The percentage varies between 4 and 7 percent as far as I remember depending on certain market conditions (determined by the energy ministry).

The published price lists additionally shows "Premium" diesel for a higher price at Shell. Esso and Chevron:

http://www.eppo.go.th/index.php/en/

Did you use this in Thailand?

(I have never been to one of these companies and not taken a detailed look at their price lists)

I don't know what the situation in Malaysia is.

I usually alternated between the premium diesel and the regular diesel at Shell in Thailand.

In Malaysia I do not have a choice. There is no option.

I did notice a sigh saying it was Euro 5 diesel in Malaysia. I need to Google it and see what that means!

It must be the fuel that is making the difference. I don't do anything else different when here. By the way I am in Malaysia now.

Also the diesel is much cheaper here in Malaysia then Thailand so I would of expected the truck to run worse here in Malaysia, But?

Kinda strange.

Also the diesel is much cheaper here in Malaysia then Thailand so I would of expected the truck to run worse here in Malaysia, But?

Kinda strange.

What would the level of tax have to do with quality of the diesel? Malaysia is well known for subsidized fuel prices. That is why you cannot drive into Malaysia from either Thailand or Singapore with less then a half a tank of fuel.

TH

Kinda strange.

What would the level of tax have to do with quality of the diesel? Malaysia is well known for subsidized fuel prices. That is why you cannot drive into Malaysia from either Thailand or Singapore with less then a half a tank of fuel.

TH

No Malaysia does not subsidize there fuel prices anymore. That ended a couple years ago.

I drive into Malaysia all the time from Thailand and they have never checked my fuel guage? But, I can see where it would be a law. Especially when the prices of fuel were subsidized in Malaysia.

That is another thing, at current exchange rates Malaysia diesel costs me about 40 U.S. cents a liter. While Thailand diesel costs me about 70 U.S. cents a liter. I believe my math is right. Dollar to baht exchange rate is about 35 to the dollar. So at 25 baht/liter = 25/35 = .71 or 71 cents / liter. Same math with the Ringgit. 1.6/4 = .40 or 40 cents / liter.

Someone with better math skills might double check this.

That is a huge difference. Thailand is taxing much more than Malaysia.

Just trivia, but I am paying about 57% / liter more at the pumps in Thailand for diesel. And my truck loves the diesel in Malaysia.

So back to the original question. All I can come up with is, the diesel in Malaysia is higher quality and much cheaper than Thailand?

I have been filling-up with "Shell V-Power" and had similar 'improvement symptoms' as what you described experiencing in Malaysia. Ok; Shell V-Power is a little bit more expensive than the regular Diesel, but my truck started running much smoother, less noise & better mileage too.

coffee1.gif

I have been filling-up with "Shell V-Power" and had similar 'improvement symptoms' as what you described experiencing in Malaysia. Ok; Shell V-Power is a little bit more expensive than the regular Diesel, but my truck started running much smoother, less noise & better mileage too.

coffee1.gif

My pickup is only a year old and generally use standard Esso diesel . I've used Pottator occasionally and once Esso premium and can't say I've noticed any difference. Is there any proven (rather than subjective) benefit of using She'll V Power on a continuous or regular basis in a new vehicle. I know that in uk if you use super unleaded petrol you're wasting money unless you're car is designed for it (like my M3).

Oils ain't oils.

I used to work in a Caltex oil refinery in Australia for 23 years. Every country has a set of guidelines for specifications of the diesel. Australia was becoming very strict on fuels produced in Australia.

I assume from what you say is that Malasia has a stricter specification than Thailand. Also different refineries use different processes to make fuels. Although diesel is what they call straight run and is usually cut from the main distillation column processing the crude oil often other components are added. I worked in the fluid catalytic cracking unit which processed the "waste" from the main distillation column. Part of this process a product called light cycle oil was produced. This was combined with hydrogen then blended with diesel.

Also the Shell Oil you buy may not be Shell. In Australia the different branded refineries were spread across the country. For example the closest Shell refinery was 2000 kilometers away from Queensland. So for economics Shell and Caltex would do a deal that the Caltex refinery in Brisbane would supply Shell servos in Queensland and Shell would reciprocate in Victoria where their refinery was located. Having said that I think the premium fuels produced by each refinery was shipped to their own refineries.

Hope this may help explain.

Oils ain't oils.

I used to work in a Caltex oil refinery in Australia for 23 years. Every country has a set of guidelines for specifications of the diesel. Australia was becoming very strict on fuels produced in Australia.

I assume from what you say is that Malasia has a stricter specification than Thailand. Also different refineries use different processes to make fuels. Although diesel is what they call straight run and is usually cut from the main distillation column processing the crude oil often other components are added. I worked in the fluid catalytic cracking unit which processed the "waste" from the main distillation column. Part of this process a product called light cycle oil was produced. This was combined with hydrogen then blended with diesel.

Also the Shell Oil you buy may not be Shell. In Australia the different branded refineries were spread across the country. For example the closest Shell refinery was 2000 kilometers away from Queensland. So for economics Shell and Caltex would do a deal that the Caltex refinery in Brisbane would supply Shell servos in Queensland and Shell would reciprocate in Victoria where their refinery was located. Having said that I think the premium fuels produced by each refinery was shipped to their own refineries.

That is quite interesting, Thanks for the comment. All I can come up with (as in what you said) is that Malaysia has stricter spec's.

Regards, Gary

coffee1.gif

Interesting comment. I am heading back to Thailand in about 3 weeks. When I get back I will only fill up with the more expensive diesel from Shell or others and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the comment.

Regards, Gary

coffee1.gif

My pickup is only a year old and generally use standard Esso diesel . I've used Pottator occasionally and once Esso premium and can't say I've noticed any difference. Is there any proven (rather than subjective) benefit of using She'll V Power on a continuous or regular basis in a new vehicle. I know that in uk if you use super unleaded petrol you're wasting money unless you're car is designed for it (like my M3).

When I first bought my truck about 7 years ago. I only used regular diesel in Thailand and it ran fine. At about 150,000 KM it started giving me some problems. Rough idle some times. And other problems not related to fuel IMO. It has around 290,000 KM on the clock now, and when in Thailand it always runs rough. But, when in Malaysia it smooths out.

My opinion at this point is it is fuel related. As the engine and sensors get older the better diesel helps out. Just a guess but, the best guess I can come up with.

Regards, Gary

coffee1.gif

When I first bought my truck about 7 years ago. I only used regular diesel in Thailand and it ran fine. At about 150,000 KM it started giving me some problems. Rough idle some times. And other problems not related to fuel IMO. It has around 290,000 KM on the clock now, and when in Thailand it always runs rough. But, when in Malaysia it smooths out.

My opinion at this point is it is fuel related. As the engine and sensors get older the better diesel helps out. Just a guess but, the best guess I can come up with.

Regards, Gary

Wasn't there something a couple of years ago about producers in Thaiand dropping the production temperature for diesel and that makes it cheaper to produce but somehow 'dirtier' for want of a better word.

Maybe it's the crappy palmoil they ad to the diesel in Thailand , or just too much of it.

Somebody is making lots of money here >>> higher diesel price , lower quality diesel mixed with more low quality palmoil.

What does Malaysia do with their overstock of palmoil?

Kinda strange.

TH

No Malaysia does not subsidize there fuel prices anymore. That ended a couple years ago.

I drive into Malaysia all the time from Thailand and they have never checked my fuel guage? But, I can see where it would be a law. Especially when the prices of fuel were subsidized in Malaysia.

That is another thing, at current exchange rates Malaysia diesel costs me about 40 U.S. cents a liter. While Thailand diesel costs me about 70 U.S. cents a liter. I believe my math is right. Dollar to baht exchange rate is about 35 to the dollar. So at 25 baht/liter = 25/35 = .71 or 71 cents / liter. Same math with the Ringgit. 1.6/4 = .40 or 40 cents / liter.

Someone with better math skills might double check this.

That is a huge difference. Thailand is taxing much more than Malaysia.

Indeed, Malaysia stopped direct subsidies in Dec 2014 and now floats the prices based on international market rates but still much lower. So still subsidized, but not to levels as in the past. Thailand does imposes a higher tax (to discourage use) as well as incurring higher production cost due to having to import most crude.

The "lower" quality in Thailand is due to the palm oil being added in order to lower crude imports. At oil prices today, this is not such a big deal, but when oil was over $100 a barrel it was very helpful. I'm sure you have noticed that in Thailand most transport trucks use CNG not diesel. Thailand has large natural gas reserves (that are fully exploited and running out). The biggest import cost still is crude oil.

Note that your Shell diesel in Thailand is produced by a PTT refinery as Shell sold their share in Rayong Refinery over 10 years ago.

Malaysia has 10 times the proven oil and natural gas reserves that Thailand has, therefore does not worry about imports so no need to dilute the diesel. Though they still import some refined products not produced locally.

So yes, your pickup likely runs better on Malaysian produced diesel due economic reasons, not the lack of Thai quality you tried to infer.

TH

So yes, your pickup likely runs better on Malaysian produced diesel due economic reasons, not the lack of Thai quality you tried to infer.

TH

How does the pickup engine know how to perform poorly due to economic reasons?

Of course it is quality. Not saying Thai diesel is of low quality but Malasia of higher quality.

Diesel engines performed great with Australian diesel prior to the government changes a few years back. But now the diesel is of higher quality with tighter specifications implemented by the government mainly for pollution reasons.

TH

That makes no sense what so ever!

Maybe it's the crappy palmoil they ad to the diesel in Thailand , or just too much of it.

Somebody is making lots of money here >>> higher diesel price , lower quality diesel mixed with more low quality palmoil.

LOL, agree 100%!

They sell it to Thailand to make dual-purpose diesel?

But you can't deep fry your chicken dinner in Malaysian diesel when the cooking oil runs out. Roundabouts and swings...

They sell it to Thailand to make dual-purpose diesel?

But you can't deep fry your chicken dinner in Malaysian diesel when the cooking oil runs out. Roundabouts and swings...

can also be lubricated using palm oil.

You don't object to me finishing your post do you?

I usually alternated between the premium diesel and the regular diesel at Shell in Thailand.

In Malaysia I do not have a choice. There is no option.

I did notice a sigh saying it was Euro 5 diesel in Malaysia. I need to Google it and see what that means!

It must be the fuel that is making the difference. I don't do anything else different when here. By the way I am in Malaysia now.

Kinda strange.

Euro 5 diesel: http://bhpetrol.com.my/infiniti-diesel-euro5.html

Also, it would be interesting to know what difference there is in sulphur content between the 2 countries.

The old Diesel standard was 350 - 500 ppm Sulphur.

Malaysia was still using this until recently.

The Malaysian Euro 5 diesel is 10 ppm (Ultra low Sulphur).

Euro 4 Diesel as used in Thailand from 2012 is 50 ppm

Lower Sulphur level improves emissions but is not necessarily good for the engine. Removing the Sulphur reduces the fuel's ability to lubricate which is compensated with Additives. Low Sulphur fuel also tends to have lower energy content.

Kinda strange.

TH

Singapore requires a 75% fuel level when departing and quite understandably, as 97RON is THB 18.48 litre in Malaysia vs THB 56.74 in Singapore. Failure to comply is subject to a SGD$500 fine, and although the spot checks are infrequent, most people comply.

• 2 weeks later...

Oils ain't oils.

Agree,

l worked in Port Hedland WA in the 1970s.

l think that it was once a month, the BP tanker would arrive from Newcastle, NSW & discharge diesel into a bulk tank.

All the different oil companies in town would then draw fuel from that tank.

Someone did remark that the different oil companies then added their own additives later.

Maybe this is so.

Sell it to Thailand? lol

I know of people back in the uk who swear blind they get improved mpg from branded fuel bought from the major oil co's.

Whether or not they have actually checked this accurately from fill up to fill up over similar types of driving or is imaginary I have no idea.

Archived