Confusion as condo owners told they must have a work permit to rent out units

rooster59

@ Peterw42

And the vacancy rates are...............????

A vacant property makes ZERO for the landlord here, but still attracts fees, money laundering aside.

The Russians left Jomtiem long ago.

Did they find out about the new WP laws, lol

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ micmichd

Ahhhh, I rent here, and would never buy a property in Thailand.

I only see years of nice properties for cheap rent on Phuket. All good for me, and other renters.

I do not see Thailand going the same way as western countries because I can own a property in my own name in many western countries - I can not in Thailand, and neither can any other foreigner, despite whatever loopholes they think will exist forever here.

Thailand has, and will continue to repel foreign investment, and lately, the western tourism market.

They are really falling behind the times, not keeping up with the times, as you suggest.

@ Peterw42

And the vacancy rates are...............????

A vacant property makes ZERO for the landlord here, but still attracts fees, money laundering aside.

The Russians left Jomtiem long ago.

Did they find out about the new WP laws, lol

No, the Russian Ruble collapsed after the west put sanctions on Russia, so most went home, and they can't afford to travel on a holiday to Thailand anymore.

So, all those condos in Jomtien are vacant and not making 12% return. Actually, they are making a loss.

How many are you trying to offload? biggrin.png

<p>

...Thai Real estate follows the same supply and demand rules as any other market in the world. So long as the population and the economy keep growing, people holiday or move here. Real estate will go up. At the moment, its not hard to find a return of over 10%. thats better than the bank or stock market...

Are your 10% after deduction of the following expense items?

• Depreciation
  • Common fees
  • Maintenance and repair
  • Taxes
  • Other expenses, if any
1,000,000 for a condo. @ 10k a month rent is 120k a year. That's 12% gross.

20k for condo fees insurance etc

10% return.

I would be lucky to get 3-4% in Australia.

Well hurry up then and go buy some these hot units.nice calculation about your roi of 10-12% however i think it will only rent out 3-4 months a year with luck so now your calculation becomes less sexi.

<p>

...Thai Real estate follows the same supply and demand rules as any other market in the world. So long as the population and the economy keep growing, people holiday or move here. Real estate will go up. At the moment, its not hard to find a return of over 10%. thats better than the bank or stock market...

Are your 10% after deduction of the following expense items?

• Depreciation
  • Common fees
  • Maintenance and repair
  • Taxes
  • Other expenses, if any
1,000,000 for a condo. @ 10k a month rent is 120k a year. That's 12% gross.

20k for condo fees insurance etc

10% return.

I would be lucky to get 3-4% in Australia.

Well hurry up then and go buy some these hot units.nice calculation about your roi of 10-12% however i think it will only rent out 3-4 months a year with luck so now your calculation becomes less sexi.

But, his wife says they they are making money. thumbsup.gif

I think most of us would agree the climate is not great, but the country is great. with that said, I recommend to ONLY rent. I don't think the climate will get better for decades. if you own a condo and can sell, I would.

let's not kid ourselves, these rules are going to get worse, not better.

but LOS is still a great place to be..

" I recommend to ONLY rent. I don't think the climate will get better for decades. if you own a condo and can sell, I would."

A rather ridiculously global, speculative comment.

I bought my condo over fifteen years ago solely for personal use. For many years I used it 3 or 4 months a year on holiday and for the last ten years as my personal full-time home. I didn't buy it with the intention of renting it out (i.e. to let some idiots trash it) or in the hopes of selling it for a profit. I certainly would not have been better off staying in hotels or renting from someone else for all that time, either financially or as a matter of convenience.

Whether or not to buy or rent depends on your personal circumstances. I would certainly not want to try to sell mine at any time, let alone in a weak market. What exactly would you do with the money if you did sell? Use it to pay rent while it earns 1 or 2% in a bank account and you try to get the owner of your rental to fix the leaking taps or faulty air conditioning? That's the same sort of Farang logic that convinced a lot of people they'd be better off keeping their money in "safe" Farang currencies like the Euro or pound sterling instead of Baht. Oops. How's that working out for you? Buying anything is a strong market and then selling in a weak market is not a sensible strategy.

I suppose based on your reasoning, everyone who owns property in London should rush to sell it now that prices have fallen and the effects of Brexit could be felt for decades.

I think most of us would agree the climate is not great, but the country is great. with that said, I recommend to ONLY rent. I don't think the climate will get better for decades. if you own a condo and can sell, I would.

" I recommend to ONLY rent. I don't think the climate will get better for decades. if you own a condo and can sell, I would."

I bought my condo over fifteen years ago solely for personal use. For many years I used it 3 or 4 months a year on holiday and for the last ten years as my personal full-time home. I didn't buy it with the intention of renting it out (i.e. to let some idiots trash it) or in the hopes of selling it for a profit. I certainly would not have been better off staying in hotels or renting from someone else for all that time, either financially or as a matter of convenience.

Whether or not to buy or rent depends on your personal circumstances. I would certainly not want to try to sell mine at any time, let alone in a weak market. What exactly would you do with the money if you did sell? Use it to pay rent while it earns 1 or 2% in a bank account and you try to get the owner of your rental to fix the leaking taps or faulty air conditioning? That's the same sort of Farang logic that convinced a lot of people they'd be better off keeping their money in "safe" Farang currencies like the Euro or pound sterling instead of Baht. Oops. How's that working out for you? Buying anything is a strong market and then selling in a weak market is not a sensible strategy.

I suppose based on your reasoning, everyone who owns property in London should rush to sell it now that prices have fallen and the effects of Brexit could be felt for decades.

"Buying anything is a strong market and then selling in a weak market is not a sensible strategy." - ok. When do you see the Phuket property market gaining strength, and why?

Have you considered that many here bought in when Phuket had a strong market, and when Phuket was promoting itself as a promising and desirable destination, which it was, yet, that strong property market has gone, and may never return to Phuket. and I am not talking about those who bought in the 80's and 90's, before Phuket boomed.

"Buying anything is a strong market and then selling in a weak market is not a sensible strategy." - ok. When do you see the Phuket property market gaining strength, and why?

Have you considered that many here bought in when Phuket had a strong market, and when Phuket was promoting itself as a promising and desirable destination, which it was, yet, that strong property market has gone, and may never return to Phuket. and I am not talking about those who bought in the 80's and 90's, before Phuket boomed.

NKM, If you have never bought property in Phuket and never will, why the need to ask such questions ? Seriously, ask yourself why anyone should waste their time in answering you, when it is clear to see that you simply refuse to hear opposite opinions to your own.

A poster gives his opinion based on 1st hand experience on owning a condo (something you don't have) and you still continue to disagree and question. You really are making yourself sound like a very sad person.

NKM, If you have never bought property in Phuket and never will, why the need to ask such questions ? Seriously, ask yourself why anyone should waste their time in answering you, when it is clear to see that you simply refuse to hear opposite opinions to your own.

A poster gives his opinion based on 1st hand experience on owning a condo (something you don't have) and you still continue to disagree and question. You really are making yourself sound like a very sad person.

"NKM, If you have never bought property in Phuket and never will, why the need to ask such questions ?" - why the need not to answer them? Just because I have never bought property here, and never will, doesn't mean I haven't looked into it, thoroughly.

"Seriously, ask yourself why anyone should waste their time in answering you," - probably for the same reasons I am replying to your post. The answer is, why not?

"it is clear to see that you simply refuse to hear opposite opinions to your own." - please put forward compelling reasons why one should buy, instead of rent, in the current climate on Phuket. I'm more than happy to debate the subject, without making personal attacks, as you do.

"A poster gives his opinion based on 1st hand experience on owning a condo (something you don't have) and you still continue to disagree and question." - as you are with me. That's the internet.

"You really are making yourself sound like a very sad person." - really? I think you are making yourself sound like you are in denial. Maybe you can explain why there are currently over 2000 condos and 300 houses for sale on Phuket, with hardly any of them selling.

Let me guess, your property would sell tomorrow because, "My property is different." biggrin.png

bullshit, the one i live in would sell for 3.5m tops, and it would take some time to find a buyer who would want the rpice negotiated down, and the rent here is 17k

Big deal.

Sounds much smarter to buy a condo in a "farang-friendly" country, and rent it out. Use that income to rent yourself a place here in Thailand. Never buy here...is still what I am thinking. Must be some good investments, in other parts of the world....where they protect people with income who want to retire.

Things change with the wind. What they do this year, might not be the same next year. I thought condo ownership might be viable....but it sounds like a crackdown.

I never know if I can renew my retirement extension..from year to year....with certainty. If you become disqualified...and own a condo...basically you are forced to sell it.

You make it sound easy, just go and buy a place in the west rent it and laugh your way to the bank

In 2008 half the western world lost everything in the sub prime global property crash. Many lost up to 90% of their property value and half of America will never recover whilst Thailand was completely untouched, not even a tiny drop in prices and in fact new condos continue the uptrend ( no subprime here) and I knew many Americans who were highly critical of the thai condo market but were devastated at making the wrong choices. they will never be buying here either, to expensive now

If your relying on western property rental to survive in Thailand and that rent stops, your going home sweet home again and even with rent income the Brits are going home soon as the pound implodes. And they wont be buying here either as that pound spirals down..its all about timing

If you want to rent out your condo here and if it comes to it then paying tax should not be an issue as it isnt in the rest of the world. I still maintain buy to live and in 7 years time my Condo has paid for itself in saved rent money alone..wont owe me a bean smile.png

A condo costing 3 million, being rented out for 10k a month would take 25 YEARS..just to break even.

(and thats not even taking into account the added expense of corporate fees when you own the place)

Dont know what fugures you are working on for a condo to pay for itself in 7 years??

A 1m baht condo would rent for 10k a month. 3m baht condo probably 40k
a month.
I'm jomtiem, 3m would buy a big 2 brm, probably with ocean view.

NKM,

Im not sure what percentage of the market 2000 condos represents. One complex can have 500 condos.

Real estate markets are cyclical, and I would not argue that currently the market is in decline. Supply and demand. lots of condos and not many buyers prices go down. According to you prices will keep declining to zero. No, At a certain price point buyers return to the market. Developers will react to the slump and stop building resulting in less condos than buyers, prices go up.

A couple of years ago it was the opposite.

I am trying to pick the bottom of the current cycle, to maybe buy and hold for longer term profit.

You dont have to be buying or selling to realize a return on investment. At the moment I can spend 1,000,000 baht (40k Australian ) and save myself 100k (4k Australian) a year in rent. I dont care if it the price of the condo goes up down or sideways, its paying my rent. 10% of 1,000,000 baht, I dont have to get out of the ATM every month. The same 1m baht sitting in the bank in Australia would make 3% if I am lucky. I am also hedging my bets against a falling Aussie dollar.

Australia has foreign real estate investment laws. non resident foreigner can only buy new build properties (a percentage of) , cannot by existing property and rent it out etc . Yes, in Australia a foreigner can own land, but last time I looked there is a lot of it. Most developing Asian nations have a policy of not selling land. Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines. It makes sense, they dont have a lot relative to population.

If you could buy land in Thailand. China or japan etc would literally own Thailand by now.

I try to keep current with real estate. Can you tell me which of the Jomtien condo complexes have 2 bedroom condos with 'view' for 2 million baht and which of them have large 2 bedrooms with seaview for 3 MB? Many thanks.

https://www.hipflat.co.th/en/for-sale-2-beds-condo-in-bang-lamung-chonburi-thailand/ls/th-axddefnw

In the current climate the asking price , as shown on the internet. Is not a reflection of the actual selling price.

Can anyone confirm or deny the statement that units bought under the foreign quota (I'm assuming that's the 49%?) can only be purchased for personal dwelling? And does that mean the personal dwelling of the owner only- i.e., not for rent to others? That would put quite a wet blanket on some of my foreign coworkers who own multiple condos for rental income...

I have to say that as one that has many times warned that renting is the only way for farangs to go in LOS, OPs like this make me smile.

Do I have sympathy for those that thought they were the smart ones, scorning such as I, and bought property as an "investment"? Not at all. In fact I'm cheesy.gif .

"NKM, If you have never bought property in Phuket and never will, why the need to ask such questions ?" - why the need not to answer them? Just because I have never bought property here, and never will, doesn't mean I haven't looked into it, thoroughly.

"Seriously, ask yourself why anyone should waste their time in answering you," - probably for the same reasons I am replying to your post. The answer is, why not?

"it is clear to see that you simply refuse to hear opposite opinions to your own." - please put forward compelling reasons why one should buy, instead of rent, in the current climate on Phuket. I'm more than happy to debate the subject, without making personal attacks, as you do.

"A poster gives his opinion based on 1st hand experience on owning a condo (something you don't have) and you still continue to disagree and question." - as you are with me. That's the internet.

"You really are making yourself sound like a very sad person." - really? I think you are making yourself sound like you are in denial. Maybe you can explain why there are currently over 2000 condos and 300 houses for sale on Phuket, with hardly any of them selling.

Let me guess, your property would sell tomorrow because, "My property is different." biggrin.png

Your reply deserves more than a "like". Well said.

This thread isn't about people buying condos for their own use, and not renting them. The opposite in fact.

Can anyone confirm or deny the statement that units bought under the foreign quota (I'm assuming that's the 49%?) can only be purchased for personal dwelling? And does that mean the personal dwelling of the owner only- i.e., not for rent to others? That would put quite a wet blanket on some of my foreign coworkers who own multiple condos for rental income...

I have to say that as one that has many times warned that renting is the only way for farangs to go in LOS, OPs like this make me smile.

Do I have sympathy for those that thought they were the smart ones, scorning such as I, and bought property as an "investment"? Not at all. In fact I'm cheesy.gif .

Not sure what you are feeling smug about.

If you read the whole thread, nothing has changed in relation to owning, investing renting long term.

Even Thai visa has said the original post is rubbish.

But if it makes you feel better. Hoping that owners fail and are ultimately punished for buying. That's a little sad.

A bad case of sour grapes

If you read the whole thread, nothing has changed in relation to owning, investing renting long term.

But if it makes you feel better. Hoping that owners fail and are ultimately punished for buying. That's a little sad.

Why would I HOPE they fail? I don't know that I said that.

Rather, it's a response to those that have rubbished such as I for saying it's a mug's game to buy property in LOS. If you have not rubbished any that say such on these pages, then it doesn't apply to you.

BTW, while it may still be OK NOW, it may very well NOT be OK in the future. Look at the long term trends- not at all promising.

When I first came to LOS, I could stay indefinitely ( as an under 50 yo ) by going to the border and getting a 90 day permit to stay. Can't do that now. Not by a long chalk.

Unfortunately this is what happens with threads like this, they eventually go off topic and turn into "I am smart because I don't own property, and everyone who has bought property is stupid". Normally its the same people you see on the threads calling farangs stupid for marrying Thai ladies, when in fact they could only dream of it themselves. Sour grapes indeed !

Unfortunately this is what happens with threads like this, they eventually go off topic and turn into "I am smart because I don't own property, and everyone who has bought property is stupid". Normally its the same people you see on the threads calling farangs stupid for marrying Thai ladies, when in fact they could only dream of it themselves. Sour grapes indeed !

Well, there is definitely a case to be made that it's better to rent women than "marry" them. Cheaper in the long run certainly. ( I'm married myself so not calling others that do so stupid ).

@ mcfish

Do try to post something of substance, rather than a personal attack. That said, I'll address your post,

I have no deep seated hatred of Thai's, or foreign landlords. I rent here. My landlord is a foreigner who has long since left Phuket. This is why I put forward on this thread so many times, why does he need a work permit when he isn't in Thailand?

I have never bought a bar here, or a property, and I've never lost money to a Thai lady, or sent money for a sick buffalo. I have no sour grapes. I just call Phuket as I see it.

I have the REAL luxury of being able to sell a 2 year old motor scooter for whatever i can get for it, pack a bag, and leave tomorrow, should I ever want to, have to, or need to, and I lose nothing but some rent and bond money, worse case scenario. A luxury not everyone has here, but maybe many now wish they did.

It amazes me how foreigners, such as yourself, have so much faith in a country that is failing, when compared to its poorer neighbors, and especially by global standards, and is also currently under military rule, with no election in sight.

Jeez, we are ALL only allowed to be here because we ALL have a sticker in our passports, which can be revoked at anytime. My tourist visa gives me the same rights as any other long term visa here visa here, diplomats aside - what a joke.

I'm always open to read a sensible post, so, mcfish, please tell me what economic,legal, and political factors give you so much confidence in putting ANY money in the property, or tourism industry, on Phuket, at this current time. Serious question.

All that aside, NKM, and your constant banging on about your being unencumbered here, insofar as you have no financial interests and subsist on tourist visas, the sheer amount of posts as to condo ownership/regs on these threads does raise some eyebrows. So, c'mon, fess up, how many units you got? biggrin.png

Seriously - zero. I would never buy property here.

It amazes me how members debate about what the Thai law currently is, when they can change it tomorrow, or start enforcing it from tomorrow.

It amazes me how members debate what the Thai authorities should do, or will do, when they can do whatever they want, for whatever reasons, when they want.

Such is my amazement, that I feel compelled to post.

I'm happy to debate any post I have made with any member.

You are welcome to show me the error of my ways in Thailand. smile.png

Christ I've no dog in this fight, but your rejoinder really is pathetic.

@ mcfish

Do try to post something of substance, rather than a personal attack. That said, I'll address your post,

I have no deep seated hatred of Thai's, or foreign landlords. I rent here. My landlord is a foreigner who has long since left Phuket. This is why I put forward on this thread so many times, why does he need a work permit when he isn't in Thailand?

I have never bought a bar here, or a property, and I've never lost money to a Thai lady, or sent money for a sick buffalo. I have no sour grapes. I just call Phuket as I see it.

I have the REAL luxury of being able to sell a 2 year old motor scooter for whatever i can get for it, pack a bag, and leave tomorrow, should I ever want to, have to, or need to, and I lose nothing but some rent and bond money, worse case scenario. A luxury not everyone has here, but maybe many now wish they did.

It amazes me how foreigners, such as yourself, have so much faith in a country that is failing, when compared to its poorer neighbors, and especially by global standards, and is also currently under military rule, with no election in sight.

Jeez, we are ALL only allowed to be here because we ALL have a sticker in our passports, which can be revoked at anytime. My tourist visa gives me the same rights as any other long term visa here visa here, diplomats aside - what a joke.

I'm always open to read a sensible post, so, mcfish, please tell me what economic,legal, and political factors give you so much confidence in putting ANY money in the property, or tourism industry, on Phuket, at this current time. Serious question.

All that aside, NKM, and your constant banging on about your being unencumbered here, insofar as you have no financial interests and subsist on tourist visas, the sheer amount of posts as to condo ownership/regs on these threads does raise some eyebrows. So, c'mon, fess up, how many units you got? biggrin.png

Seriously - zero. I would never buy property here.

It amazes me how members debate about what the Thai law currently is, when they can change it tomorrow, or start enforcing it from tomorrow.

It amazes me how members debate what the Thai authorities should do, or will do, when they can do whatever they want, for whatever reasons, when they want.

Such is my amazement, that I feel compelled to post.

I'm happy to debate any post I have made with any member.

You are welcome to show me the error of my ways in Thailand. smile.png

Christ I've no dog in this fight, but your rejoinder really is pathetic.

Ditto :)

This only applies to condo owners who live in Thailand. A work permit is only required to work IN thailand not out. There are many foreign directors of Thai companies who don't need a work permit as they are doing their director duties outside thailand.

This only applies to condo owners who live in Thailand. A work permit is only required to work IN thailand not out. There are many foreign directors of Thai companies who don't need a work permit as they are doing their director duties outside thailand.

That's the way I see it.

Now, how are they going to arrest a condo owner for renting out his condo, over the internet, without a hotel license, for short terms, when he is not in the country?

That's the way I see it.

Now, how are they going to arrest a condo owner for renting out his condo, over the internet, without a hotel license, for short terms, when he is not in the country?

The answer is simple, they will not attempt to arrest a condo owner who is renting out his condo from overseas.

It is also highly unlikely that a condo owner living in Phuket doing the same will be arrested for this.

Hmmm

If work permit is required for condo rentals then this could perhaps be easily solved by renting your property through an agent?

A work permit is not required to rent a condo. The letter attached in the OP was a notice placed in a condo building in Patong by the management to intimidate it's owners. It is nothing more than this.

That's the way I see it.

Easy. They can seize his condo.

Archived