Confusion as condo owners told they must have a work permit to rent out units

rooster59

This only applies to condo owners who live in Thailand. A work permit is only required to work IN thailand not out. There are many foreign directors of Thai companies who don't need a work permit as they are doing their director duties outside thailand.

That's the way I see it.

Now, how are they going to arrest a condo owner for renting out his condo, over the internet, without a hotel license, for short terms, when he is not in the country?

Easy. They can seize his condo.

I have to ask. Do you really believe this can happen, or are you just joining in on the fun ?

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ mcfish

Do try to post something of substance, rather than a personal attack. That said, I'll address your post,

I have no deep seated hatred of Thai's, or foreign landlords. I rent here. My landlord is a foreigner who has long since left Phuket. This is why I put forward on this thread so many times, why does he need a work permit when he isn't in Thailand?

I have never bought a bar here, or a property, and I've never lost money to a Thai lady, or sent money for a sick buffalo. I have no sour grapes. I just call Phuket as I see it.

I have the REAL luxury of being able to sell a 2 year old motor scooter for whatever i can get for it, pack a bag, and leave tomorrow, should I ever want to, have to, or need to, and I lose nothing but some rent and bond money, worse case scenario. A luxury not everyone has here, but maybe many now wish they did.

It amazes me how foreigners, such as yourself, have so much faith in a country that is failing, when compared to its poorer neighbors, and especially by global standards, and is also currently under military rule, with no election in sight.

Jeez, we are ALL only allowed to be here because we ALL have a sticker in our passports, which can be revoked at anytime. My tourist visa gives me the same rights as any other long term visa here visa here, diplomats aside - what a joke.

I'm always open to read a sensible post, so, mcfish, please tell me what economic,legal, and political factors give you so much confidence in putting ANY money in the property, or tourism industry, on Phuket, at this current time. Serious question.

NKM, you should not waste your time with mcfish. This guy certainly work in the property market (certainly peter42 also). These people are certainly making a living, scamming newbies selling condo to newbie gullible foreigners....

This only applies to condo owners who live in Thailand. A work permit is only required to work IN thailand not out. There are many foreign directors of Thai companies who don't need a work permit as they are doing their director duties outside thailand.

That's the way I see it.

Now, how are they going to arrest a condo owner for renting out his condo, over the internet, without a hotel license, for short terms, when he is not in the country?

I have to ask. Do you really believe this can happen, or are you just joining in on the fun ?

No, it's not a joke.

What owners of a condo have is actually a contract, and a contract might violate the law. In case this happens certain practices stated in the contract might be declared illegal and void, and the physical parts of such a contract (the condo in this case) can be seized. That's the legitimate right of a sovereign country.

Not saying that is must be that way. A sovereign country just has the legitimate power to do so. Even in Western countries it would be the same. Like you haven't paid taxes, come back home, and find your property seized.

Details on specific cases in joint ventures should be discussed with licensed lawyers or financial consultants.

That's the way I see it.

No, it's not a joke.

What owners of a condo have is actually a contract, and a contract might violate the law. In case this happens certain practices stated in the contract might be declared illegal and void, and the physical parts of such a contract (the condo in this case) can be seized. That's the legitimate right of a sovereign country.

Not saying that is must be that way. A sovereign country just has the legitimate power to do so. Even in Western countries it would be the same. Like you haven't paid taxes, come back home, and find your property seized.

Details on specific cases in joint ventures should be discussed with licensed lawyers or financial consultants.

Look at this for further investigation:

http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-court-rules-secured-or-collective-leases-are-void-51183.php

This is just like saying digital nomads working from Thailand needs a WP, even if the work is outside Thailand.

As long as your account is outside Thailand and someone transfer rental money to you to your Paypal account or bank account there is no problem to rent out the condo you own in Thailand. I doubt we will see a crackdown from the police to hunt down condo owners receiving rental money outside of Thailand .

But to get a wp for farang u need company and employ 2 thais for 1 farang. Then u need pay salaries and taxes. Costs of wp would be much higher then rental. They asks for impossible.

Its impossible to get wp for condo rental.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

But to get a wp for farang u need company and employ 2 thais for 1 farang. Then u need pay salaries and taxes. Costs of wp would be much higher then rental. They asks for impossible.

If you read the whole thread, nobody is asking anyone to get a WP . The original post is rubbish.

But, as usual, this rubbish is now being quoted as fact. And responded to.

Not impossible, somebody even posted a picture of his WP here.

It works more or less like this, ask the foulang for as much money he can possibly pay, at least until he can't do it anymore, then simply confiscate all he have because this criminal can't pay what the law is asking for, then wait for the next one to come with a smile on your face.

I think most of us would agree the climate is not great, but the country is great. with that said, I recommend to ONLY rent. I don't think the climate will get better for decades. if you own a condo and can sell, I would.

let's not kid ourselves, these rules are going to get worse, not better.

but LOS is still a great place to be..

" I recommend to ONLY rent. I don't think the climate will get better for decades. if you own a condo and can sell, I would."

A rather ridiculously global, speculative comment.

I bought my condo over fifteen years ago solely for personal use. For many years I used it 3 or 4 months a year on holiday and for the last ten years as my personal full-time home. I didn't buy it with the intention of renting it out (i.e. to let some idiots trash it) or in the hopes of selling it for a profit. I certainly would not have been better off staying in hotels or renting from someone else for all that time, either financially or as a matter of convenience.

Whether or not to buy or rent depends on your personal circumstances. I would certainly not want to try to sell mine at any time, let alone in a weak market. What exactly would you do with the money if you did sell? Use it to pay rent while it earns 1 or 2% in a bank account and you try to get the owner of your rental to fix the leaking taps or faulty air conditioning? That's the same sort of Farang logic that convinced a lot of people they'd be better off keeping their money in "safe" Farang currencies like the Euro or pound sterling instead of Baht. Oops. How's that working out for you? Buying anything is a strong market and then selling in a weak market is not a sensible strategy.

I suppose based on your reasoning, everyone who owns property in London should rush to sell it now that prices have fallen and the effects of Brexit could be felt for decades.

"Buying anything is a strong market and then selling in a weak market is not a sensible strategy." - ok. When do you see the Phuket property market gaining strength, and why?

Have you considered that many here bought in when Phuket had a strong market, and when Phuket was promoting itself as a promising and desirable destination, which it was, yet, that strong property market has gone, and may never return to Phuket. and I am not talking about those who bought in the 80's and 90's, before Phuket boomed.

Phukhet is in a downward spiral and IMO, the condo market will never recover.

Domestic tourists go there once and come back complaining about how expensive it is.

The only reason foreign tourists go there is because budget airlines offer dirt cheap direct fares from Austalia and the like, and they will probably never be back, preferring places like Bali.

If thats the case, who would want to buy a condo to live there? You cant even go 5 minutes down the road without paying 400 for the tuk tuk.

I suspect the reason behind this crackdown is the Russians (who left Thailand because of the currency chrash) and also the Arabs and Indians, are arranging holidays from home, for their countrymen to short-stay in the empty condos.

They probably even work through travel agents.

Right or wrong, they are profiting from Thailand, paying no tax, and the money goes overseas.

No countries will tolerate that.

In the case of Thais, they make it so painfully clear time and time again..they will not have farangs profiting from them

yet they keep skirting the law to buy stuff they should'nt, buying land and businesses under a Thai females name

no wonder they keep getting skinned!

I think most of us would agree the climate is not great, but the country is great. with that said, I recommend to ONLY rent. I don't think the climate will get better for decades. if you own a condo and can sell, I would.

let's not kid ourselves, these rules are going to get worse, not better.

but LOS is still a great place to be..

" I recommend to ONLY rent. I don't think the climate will get better for decades. if you own a condo and can sell, I would."

A rather ridiculously global, speculative comment.

I bought my condo over fifteen years ago solely for personal use. For many years I used it 3 or 4 months a year on holiday and for the last ten years as my personal full-time home. I didn't buy it with the intention of renting it out (i.e. to let some idiots trash it) or in the hopes of selling it for a profit. I certainly would not have been better off staying in hotels or renting from someone else for all that time, either financially or as a matter of convenience.

Whether or not to buy or rent depends on your personal circumstances. I would certainly not want to try to sell mine at any time, let alone in a weak market. What exactly would you do with the money if you did sell? Use it to pay rent while it earns 1 or 2% in a bank account and you try to get the owner of your rental to fix the leaking taps or faulty air conditioning? That's the same sort of Farang logic that convinced a lot of people they'd be better off keeping their money in "safe" Farang currencies like the Euro or pound sterling instead of Baht. Oops. How's that working out for you? Buying anything is a strong market and then selling in a weak market is not a sensible strategy.

I suppose based on your reasoning, everyone who owns property in London should rush to sell it now that prices have fallen and the effects of Brexit could be felt for decades.

"Buying anything is a strong market and then selling in a weak market is not a sensible strategy." - ok. When do you see the Phuket property market gaining strength, and why?

Have you considered that many here bought in when Phuket had a strong market, and when Phuket was promoting itself as a promising and desirable destination, which it was, yet, that strong property market has gone, and may never return to Phuket. and I am not talking about those who bought in the 80's and 90's, before Phuket boomed.

Domestic tourists go there once and come back complaining about how expensive it is.

The only reason foreign tourists go there is because budget airlines offer dirt cheap direct fares from Austalia and the like, and they will probably never be back, preferring places like Bali.

If thats the case, who would want to buy a condo to live there? You cant even go 5 minutes down the road without paying 400 for the tuk tuk.

I suspect the reason behind this crackdown is the Russians (who left Thailand because of the currency chrash) and also the Arabs and Indians, are arranging holidays from home, for their countrymen to short-stay in the empty condos.

Right or wrong, they are profiting from Thailand, paying no tax, and the money goes overseas.

In the case of Thais, they make it so painfully clear time and time again..they will not have farangs profiting from them

yet they keep skirting the law to buy stuff they should'nt, buying land and businesses under a Thai females name

It's a crying shame about Phuket - have spent over two years over the years in Thailand and visited virtually every nook and cranny both on and off the tourist areas but once in Phuket was enough for me . Don't want to ride motorbikes and don't see why I should pay the taxi mafia amounts that would be expensive even here in the UK. If the army had broken them up and introduced Pattaya style fixed priced songthaews rather than demolishing beach front restaurants it could have been the start of a renaissance for Phuket and would have got my vote and a revisit. But this is Thailand so we keep on digging the hole.

This is just like saying digital nomads working from Thailand needs a WP, even if the work is outside Thailand.

As long as your account is outside Thailand and someone transfer rental money to you to your Paypal account or bank account there is no problem to rent out the condo you own in Thailand. I doubt we will see a crackdown from the police to hunt down condo owners receiving rental money outside of Thailand .

They wouldn't need to arrest owners living outside LOS. If they arrest a few tenants for illegally renting condos, how long do you think there will be before a "shortage" of tenants destroys the market?

It's a crying shame about Phuket - have spent over two years over the years in Thailand and visited virtually every nook and cranny both on and off the tourist areas but once in Phuket was enough for me . Don't want to ride motorbikes and don't see why I should pay the taxi mafia amounts that would be expensive even here in the UK. If the army had broken them up and introduced Pattaya style fixed priced songthaews rather than demolishing beach front restaurants it could have been the start of a renaissance for Phuket and would have got my vote and a revisit. But this is Thailand so we keep on digging the hole.

Phuket became an overpriced hole over 15 years ago. I used to like Patong, but never again.

Time for the word to get out and people to stop going there, but there's plenty of package tour suckers still gullible enough to keep the hotels full.

They wouldn't need to arrest owners living outside LOS. If they arrest a few tenants for illegally renting condos, how long do you think there will be before a "shortage" of tenants destroys the market?

For people that need to have a relatively quick return from their investments, that might be a problem, but on the other hand, for those which can just stuck up properties and don't mind keeping them empty, this will enable them to acquire new items to their collection for peanuts.

Logic suggests, that people in higher up places which makes the rules, would already have a solid economic personal condition, consequently, they surely can gain a lot from a similar scenario.....

If this is going to cause some distress to the population, just blame it on the Fargang, as locals don't do those things, it must to be someone else from far away gigglem.gifwhistling.gif

Phuket became an overpriced hole over 15 years ago. I used to like Patong, but never again.

Time for the word to get out and people to stop going there, but there's plenty of package tour suckers still gullible enough to keep the hotels full.

But Patong is NOT Phuket and Phuket is NOT representative of Thailand as a whole. Plenty of people live here in Phuket quite happily and do NOT find it over-priced.

Yes there are flaws but churning out the same old guff time after time is pointless.

For people that need to have a relatively quick return from their investments, that might be a problem, but on the other hand, for those which can just stuck up properties and don't mind keeping them empty, this will enable them to acquire new items to their collection for peanuts.

Logic suggests, that people in higher up places which makes the rules, would already have a solid economic personal condition, consequently, they surely can gain a lot from a similar scenario.....

If this is going to cause some distress to the population, just blame it on the Fargang, as locals don't do those things, it must to be someone else from far away gigglem.gifwhistling.gif

Yes, blame it to the Farang, declare his contracts void, so under the law the property is not his, and then give it back to Thailand and Thai people.

But Patong is NOT Phuket and Phuket is NOT representative of Thailand as a whole. Plenty of people live here in Phuket quite happily and do NOT find it over-priced.

Yes there are flaws but churning out the same old guff time after time is pointless.

LOL. I never said Patong was Phuket. However, even 20 years ago the tuk tuks anywhere on Phuket were a rip off, so I only travelled by bus.

I travelled around Phuket after the tsunami, and was horrified to see they were just rebuilding the same s******e, instead of taking the opportunity to make something really greatl

Of course Phuket is not representative of Thailand, if it was I certainly wouldn't be living here, for the same reason I don't live in Singapore, though I love the place- too expensive.

Correct.

That's why it will never happen, or definitely happen.

Take your pick. :)

That's the way I see it.

The question really is, "Why do you think they can not, or will not, do it?"

That's why it will never happen, or definitely happen.

Take your pick. smile.png

I like that, as someone can hardly disagree with it, basically if it's not a "yes" than it's going to be a "no"...but TV is a place where even the unexpected can happen, let's just wait and see laugh.png

Work permit not required to rent out condos, confirms Phuket labour chief

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/932065-work-permit-not-required-to-rent-out-condos-confirms-phuket-labour-chief/?p=10963366

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

LMAO all you poor little renters that were gloating at the demise of the the real estate market look like total idiots now.

LONG LIVE THE LANDLORD tongue.png

Dear mcfish,

sorry to spoil your well-appreciated feelings again.

Yes, long live the Landlord. The Landlord holds the land (Thai land), gives work to Thai people, and - as he's Thai - won't need a working permit for this.

A Farang is different. The Farang is a foreign investor, not more. If he wants to make business in Thailand, he will have to put in his money into the business,and then leave the rest to the Thais that run the business. Of course, as long as the investor never works, he will not need a working permit for Thailand. But someone has to manage all that joint venture stuff, and this staff will be Thai (unless there's a shortage on Thai labour skills)

I guess you know what a joint venture is. You can for example invest your money in a Thai management and labour company, and then get off happily with the "usufruct" Or simply become a member of an open investment fonds, and draw your ROI from there. Please use your fantasy, but accept that Thailand is a sovereign country, and (to my humble knowledge) always has been.

Long live the sovereign!

Actually if anything today's confirmation by Phukets labour chief will have a profound effect on the Phuket property sector .

This has had the effect of strongly promoting Phuket as a legitimate place to create an income from property investment. And I doubt that would have happened had it not been the hysteria created here by the naysayers. Who would have thought you guys helped to promote the real estate sector? lol

Dear mcfish,

sorry to spoil your well-appreciated feelings again.

Yes, long live the Landlord. The Landlord holds the land (Thai land), gives work to Thai people, and - as he's Thai - won't need a working permit for this.

A Farang is different. The Farang is a foreign investor, not more. If he wants to make business in Thailand, he will have to put in his money into the business,and then leave the rest to the Thais that run the business. Of course, as long as the investor never works, he will not need a working permit for Thailand. But someone has to manage all that joint venture stuff, and this staff will be Thai (unless there's a shortage on Thai labour skills)

I guess you know what a joint venture is. You can for example invest your money in a Thai management and labour company, and then get off happily with the "usufruct" Or simply become a member of an open investment fonds, and draw your ROI from there. Please use your fantasy, but accept that Thailand is a sovereign country, and (to my humble knowledge) always has been.

Long live the sovereign!

What part of dont need a work permit didn't you understand? coffee1.gif

@ mcfish

I'm always open to read a sensible post, so, mcfish, please tell me what economic,legal, and political factors give you so much confidence in putting ANY money in the property, or tourism industry, on Phuket, at this current time. Serious question.

Over 100 posts of deliberate and joyful fear mongering. What pleasure could you possibly get at the thought of so much wealth destruction. You should know the wealthy will always defeat the poor its how the wealth is maintained and the gap enforced.

Just to show their are no hard feelings I baked you a present.

th_humble%20pie_zpsmygazkcj.jpg

oops nearly forgot to answer your question

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/932065-work-permit-not-required-to-rent-out-condos-confirms-phuket-labour-chief/#entry10963757

@ mcfish

Over 100 posts of deliberate and joyful fear mongering. What pleasure could you possibly get at the thought of so much wealth destruction. You should know the wealthy will always defeat the poor its how the wealth is maintained and the gap enforced.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/932065-work-permit-not-required-to-rent-out-condos-confirms-phuket-labour-chief/#entry10963757

I take no joy in any wealth destruction here, except for tuk-tuks. :)

In fact, I think it's tragic what is happening to the tourism industry on Phuket.

Only a fool shows so much faith in Thai authorities.

Who knows about next week's press release. Maybe it will be, "Phuket Labor Chief says there was a misunderstanding."

It's not like it hasn't happened before. biggrin.png

Once again, I do not own property here, I rent, so it's a win win for me, no matter what happens here, but your naivety does make me laugh. biggrin.png

@ mcfish

I take no joy in any wealth destruction here, except for tuk-tuks. smile.png

In fact, I think it's tragic what is happening to the tourism industry on Phuket.

Who knows about next week's press release. Maybe it will be, "Phuket Labor Chief says there was a misunderstanding."

Once again, I do not own property here, I rent, so it's a win win for me, no matter what happens here, but your naivety does make me laugh. biggrin.png

correct thank you but under 30 days is classed as a hotel so maybe classed as working?

@ mcfish

I take no joy in any wealth destruction here, except for tuk-tuks. smile.png

correct thank you but under 30 days is classed as a hotel so maybe classed as working?

Ok, but the over 1 month rule still allows 12 different tenants per year.

Is that not "working" as well?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking to rent out my condo for 30 days plus and to just issues the rent agreements in my Thai wife's name as I don't have a WP. She can legally declare the income less the expenses and so I can't see any problems doing it this way.She owns her own home and therefore it would be seen as a business income for her.

Have I missed anything?

Archived