BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Confusion as condo owners told they must have a work permit to rent out units

Next thing you will see is a law that restricts farang from selling their own condo or house without a work permit.

The joy of renting .....

Next thing you will see is a law that restricts farang from selling their own condo or house without a work permit.

The joy of renting .....

yeah, those were the days.. i miss paying double the mortgage for a house half the size.. whistling.gif

everybody wants Thailand to modernise and rise above the 3rd world status

If you rent a property in the UK you have to register and pay taxes, some people do it for a living - it is their primary income and employment, why should it be any different in Thailand ?

So, a foreign Phuket condo owner is sitting in their house in the UK, Europe, America etc, and places their condo on AirBnB.

A tourists books the condo for 2 weeks, and forwards AirBnB payment.

AirBnB forward payment to the condo owner's foreign bank account, minus commission, and the foreign condo owner is "working" in Thailand and needs a work permit. cheesy.gif

Phuket continues to embarrass itself on the world stage.

Phuket, so this is only applicable to Phuket, wow cool, im safe in Samui then giggle.gif

Can only blame the whinging Hotels, who are missing out on low season $$$$$$$$$$

Even more confusion as falangs with interest bearing savings accounts in Thai banks are told they need a work permit to be paid interest on their savings!

Total and utter nonsense, send me a message if you are an owner in Phuket.

What is nonsense?

And what is the correct information?

another intrinsic risk in buying overseas properties.

this is rare kind of requirement that owners must have work permit

before they can rent out their units.

but the law of the country must be respected and the purchase is subject to restricted

usage like for self use only, then the authorities can enforce the

rules accordingly.

They also claim that the proper taxation must be paid to Patong municipality

Like all the Thai condo, hotel and guest house owner do???

I think most of us would agree the climate is not great, but the country is great. with that said, I recommend to ONLY rent. I don't think the climate will get better for decades. if you own a condo and can sell, I would.

let's not kid ourselves, these rules are going to get worse, not better.

but LOS is still a great place to be..

Not a great place to invest apearantly.

everybody wants Thailand to modernise and rise above the 3rd world status

If you rent a property in the UK you have to register and pay taxes, some people do it for a living - it is their primary income and employment, why should it be any different in Thailand ?

Fair enough

Now tell us the procedure to get a WP based on letting a condo?

Yup, there isn't one; bringing in rules that are impossible to comply with is a (typical) knee jerk reaction. I'm guessing a phuket official is getting tired of having his earbent by hoteliers, so without any pre-planning, or consultation 'sugests' a rule that can't be followed.

How about creating the rules and procedures, having it reviewed and approved, and then informing the public???

Didn't take long for the anti condo buying doom and gloom merchants to pipe up. So just for them I'll repeat what I've said before. In my time here I've bought and sold a number of condos here (for personal use)...and always made a decent profit.

This will all go away once the relevant palms have been greased.

The long term renting of property (one unit) will likely eventually not be a problem as long as you are renting your primary accommodation because you are not in the country. Usually this is done through a management company because of needs for maintenance etc.

But if you are buying multiple units for rental income... or renting one while living in another... I would not count on it since you really are operating a business (whether incorporated or not). And doing work for it is doing work for a business you may own but don't have a work permit for (which I believe is a protected industry).

Anyone that complains about corruption have really nothing to complain about since they would just be enforcing laws and regulations normally (which is usually a money making venture for authorities)

Under 30 days my guess is that the hotel association (bigger bucks) will not let up on the pressure...

Note: not uncommon in western countries to have regulations with regards to below 30 day rentals being considered Hotelling, and over 30 days not; I have had to "checkout" every 30 days before because the hotel did not operate long-term rentals and only as a hotel - and others where I had to specify at the time of renting because different local taxation rules existed for Hotels like 12% tax on hotel rooms).