Earthquake

In the Rai!

It must been quite a good earthquake because I woke up by the whole bed was jumping. And I had been celebrating a friends birthday yesterday so not easy to wake up.

The dogs where barking for a minute, I went up checked CNN to see if they had any news about it.

I remember when the quake that caused the tsunami was, I stayed in a friends house after a good party. Some of the guys felt the quake at that time. I did not so this time I thought it must been kind of strong quake.

It must been quite a good earthquake because I woke up by the whole bed was jumping. And I had been celebrating a friends birthday yesterday so not easy to wake up.

The dogs where barking for a minute, I went up checked CNN to see if they had any news about it.

I remember when the quake that caused the tsunami was, I stayed in a friends house after a good party. Some of the guys felt the quake at that time. I did not so this time I thought it must been kind of strong quake.

I am guessing it was a relatively small quake but must have been pretty close to us as there has been no reports of it anywhere. That is why I posted it. I have a very nice new crack on the wall of my (new) house due to it. It woke me up too and I dont wake easily. I used to live in Japan for a few years and this one was up there with the ones I felt on a regular basis over there.

In The Rai!

Checked the seismic monitoring data on this site http://earthquake.usgs.gov/recenteqsww/ and the was nothing shown anywhere in the area. There were two Richter 5 events logged in past 24 hours one off Pakistan and one south of Japan. I don't know how up to date the info displayed but it does have a category for within the hour so on the face of it it's latest.

When I get a few more minutes spare I'll check some other sites but for now it doesn't seem to be seismic activity you felt.

I felt it most definitely and so did my wife. The clock said 1:40am (could be +/- a few min.) I also felt the tsunami generating quake and this one felt about the same or maybe even a bit stronger. I do understand that a more distant earthquake must be larger to be felt the same as a local quake....I'm just making the observation. There was an associated sound which I think was the cumulative sound of all the windows and other loose items rattling throughout the village.

Chownah

Don't know if this will work or how it'll look but here goes (from another source).

17-NOV-2006 04:09:54 47.06 155.49 5.3 10.0 EAST OF KURIL ISLANDS

17-NOV-2006 02:24:56 47.61 155.38 4.8 10.0 EAST OF KURIL ISLANDS

17-NOV-2006 02:03:08 -20.53 -178.85 4.7 589.0 FIJI ISLANDS REGION

17-NOV-2006 00:58:02 -9.71 108.92 5.0 30.0 SOUTH OF JAWA, INDONESIA

16-NOV-2006 23:17:34 30.17 138.56 5.0 422.6 SOUTH OF HONSHU, JAPAN

16-NOV-2006 17:46:00 46.83 155.29 4.6 10.0 EAST OF KURIL ISLANDS

16-NOV-2006 16:37:43 46.40 154.16 4.8 3.4 EAST OF KURIL ISLANDS

16-NOV-2006 15:23:06 47.35 155.53 5.0 10.0 EAST OF KURIL ISLANDS

16-NOV-2006 15:05:36 47.60 155.47 4.7 10.0 EAST OF KURIL ISLANDS

As you can see there's been a lot of activity around the Kuril Islands. Unfortunately the website gives me sod all info on the times, local or where? Now whether a richter 5 event that far away would be felt in Chiang Mai is a ways beyond my capabilities.

The webite is http://www.iris.edu/seismon/ so if any of you internet whizzkids can gain any further info be my guest.

I felt it too - about 1:45 I was playing a computer game (I have a pinched nerve and could not sleep). My wife was awakened by it and came in, rubbed some analgesic cream in my pained area and we returned to bed. Only a few dogs barking, not so loud - nothing special, but a really noticeable jolt. So I checked the papers and google searched - found nothing. Did hear from a friend in Japan about a tsunami there the other day - not so large, no death reports but maybe 7 foot waves.

There's a fault line near the China-Burma border where few people live... often the quakes are a bit stronger a little north of here: Mae Sai and at the very western end of Yunnan.

There were a few 3.0 or so ricter quakes in Ohio when I lived there from 1980 to 95; when I lived on Sukhumvit Soi 24, BKK, the building shook more from trucks going by, than the earthquake motion in Ohio ever caused. But last night was stronger than that...

I was having a late-night Dagwood craving for a snack at 1:30 am, went to bed and felt this rather large jolt! It must have been quite strong because my house which is made entirely of concrete creaked!

It was a strange kind of quake becuase usually, there would be some lingering shaking of diminishing intensity. This was like someone run into my bed kind of jolt. STRANGE. te ne ne ne ne (Twilight zone tune)...

By the way, I live at Tha Sai sub-district of Muang Chiang Rai. Wonder if we could triangulate for this quake...???

Did anyone feel the earthquake early this morning at about 1:45am?

It was quite a large tremmor I thought, though I was half asleep.

In The Rai!

Edited by toybits

• 4 weeks later...
The quake is now listed on USGS it was rated at 4.7 (light) 15 km (10 miles) NNW of Chiang Mai, Thailand

May I ask where did you find this info?

I tried the links above but no info.

Edit: Suddenly the info was there.... Sorry ! End edit

Edited by svenivan

The quake is now listed on USGS it was rated at 4.7 (light) 15 km (10 miles) NNW of Chiang Mai, Thailand

May I ask where did you find this info?

I tried the links above but no info.

Edit: Suddenly the info was there.... Sorry ! End edit

I didnt think it was as strong as the last one!

More earthquakes to come

The Meteorological Department is warning Chiang Mai more earthquakes could follow this morning's moderate shake.

Director of the department's Chiang Mai office Suparerk Tansrirattanawong said 69 aftershocks had been recorded.

"It has sent a signal that more earthquakes may hit Mae Rim and San Sai districts," Suparerk said.

This morning's earthquake measured 5.1 on the Richter scale and occurred immediately after midnight. Its epicentre was in Mae Rim district. The earthquake was about 33 kilometres deep.

"It's the first time an earthquake has occurred so close to the Chiang Mai city," Suparerk added.

The impact was felt by many.

Mae Jo University students evacuated dormitories and engineers continue to search for structural damage.

Lotus Hotel Pang Suan Kaew staff said the earthquake panicked guests for a short time. Other hotels reported calm.

Mineral Resources Department directorgeneral Apichai Chawacharoenphan warned residents not to panic. "Panic often leads to injuries during an evacuation," he said.

The earthquake was one of the strongest recorded in Chiang Mai. The largest was 5.2 on the Richter scale in December 1995.

Apichai said while Wednesday's earthquake proper was not alarming the number of aftershocks was "unusually high".

"Department officials will look into this and work with other authorities," he added.

Department information will be passed to the Public Works and Royal Irrigation Departments.

Regulations in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Lamphun, Lampang, Mae Hong Son, Tak, Nan, Phrae and Kanchanaburi require buildings to be able to withฌstand earthquakes.

"The Public Works Department is seeking to enforce similar rules in Bangkok and its four adjacent provinces," Apichai said.

National Disaster Warning Centre chief Smith Dharmmasaroj said Thailand was home to nine active faults. Earthquakes along some could affect Bangkok.

The Nation - 13 December 2006

More earthquakes to come

The Meteorological Department is warning Chiang Mai more earthquakes could follow this morning's moderate shake.

Director of the department's Chiang Mai office Suparerk Tansrirattanawong said 69 aftershocks had been recorded.

"It has sent a signal that more earthquakes may hit Mae Rim and San Sai districts," Suparerk said.

This morning's earthquake measured 5.1 on the Richter scale and occurred immediately after midnight. Its epicentre was in Mae Rim district. The earthquake was about 33 kilometres deep.

"It's the first time an earthquake has occurred so close to the Chiang Mai city," Suparerk added.

The impact was felt by many.

Mae Jo University students evacuated dormitories and engineers continue to search for structural damage.

Lotus Hotel Pang Suan Kaew staff said the earthquake panicked guests for a short time. Other hotels reported calm.

Mineral Resources Department directorgeneral Apichai Chawacharoenphan warned residents not to panic. "Panic often leads to injuries during an evacuation," he said.

The earthquake was one of the strongest recorded in Chiang Mai. The largest was 5.2 on the Richter scale in December 1995.

Apichai said while Wednesday's earthquake proper was not alarming the number of aftershocks was "unusually high".

"Department officials will look into this and work with other authorities," he added.

Department information will be passed to the Public Works and Royal Irrigation Departments.

Regulations in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Phayao, Lamphun, Lampang, Mae Hong Son, Tak, Nan, Phrae and Kanchanaburi require buildings to be able to withฌstand earthquakes.

"The Public Works Department is seeking to enforce similar rules in Bangkok and its four adjacent provinces," Apichai said.

National Disaster Warning Centre chief Smith Dharmmasaroj said Thailand was home to nine active faults. Earthquakes along some could affect Bangkok.

The Nation - 13 December 2006

cheers tung thaid :o