3BB internet ?!?!?!?

susanschwaiger

I'm currently paying just over 70k a year for Internet. I wouldn't want to invest that much to get a discount as I never know when I'm going to leave.

Fair enough. My bill is only 11kB/year and it gives me what I need.

tested. Our 3bb package speed is supposed to be 10M, but the report shows Download 260kbps, Upload 1.3 Mbps.

You should check the router stats as I suggested. They tell you far more about equipment problems than any speedtest can.

Only had one blip with Sophon in 4 years, think you should be able to get that in VT, its always on,,stable speeds, connection never drops out for a few seconds like 3BB used to, not cheap at B990 a month, but i am overall very satisfied with it

Can you share the details of your Sophon plan? I can only find fiber optic plans on their web site (FTTN, FTTH). Do they offer DOCSIS (Cable) and/or ADSL? Also, they don't list download speeds.

This was on their website, where were you looking?

That was the page I was looking at. I had the strange notion that Sophon was a cable TV company and might have cable (DOCSIS) internet, hence my question. I still don't see the upload speed. Should I assume that the plans have symmetric service, i.e. 10Mbps up and down, 15Mbps up and down, etc?

Do they offer their fiber optic systems to condo buildings in their service area?

Should I assume that the plans have symmetric service, i.e. 10Mbps up and down, 15Mbps up and down, etc?

No. 1Mb is more likely.

Do they offer their fiber optic systems to condo buildings in their service area?

Yes. FTTH. Though it will depend on the individual building as to whether it can be done or not.

Why not just go to Sophon's office opposite Friendship and ask?

Yowza, I've been spoiled with True's pricing. My current True DOCSIS 30Mbps/3Mbps plan with free CATV channels & SIM card with 200min calls/1GB data: B899/mo

SBNNET FTTH on 12-year package:

20Mbps = B2,158/mo

50Mbps = B2,908/mo

100Mbps = B6,658/mo

Stopped by the front desk of a condo complex my realtor is going to show me tomorrow. They offer only TMN internet, with 6-month plans:

12/2Mbps = B1,284/mo

15/3Mbps = B2,675/mo

20/3Mbps = B3,210/mo

Yikes!

I'm currently paying just over 70k a year for Internet. I wouldn't want to invest that much to get a discount as I never know when I'm going to leave.

Fair enough. My bill is only 11kB/year and it gives me what I need.

The part that I consider "rude" is that if I want to change my package, either up or down, is that they (CAT) require me to sign a new contract and lock me in for another 12 months. Currently I'm on a grandfathered package, but it's month to month. It's better on upload but lower on download than the current similar packages.

Yowza, I've been spoiled with True's pricing. My current True DOCSIS 30Mbps/3Mbps plan with free CATV channels & SIM card with 200min calls/1GB data: B899/mo

20Mbps = B2,158/mo

50Mbps = B2,908/mo

100Mbps = B6,658/mo

Stopped by the front desk of a condo complex my realtor is going to show me tomorrow. They offer only TMN internet, with 6-month plans:

12/2Mbps = B1,284/mo

15/3Mbps = B2,675/mo

20/3Mbps = B3,210/mo

Yikes!

Most companies are rolling out cheap packages now. FTTH is very new and less than 2 years in most areas of town if you can get it. As they roll it out and it becomes more popular you'll start to see speeds degrade on the low priced packages.

There's a reason why all these companies have 2 tiers of packages. Basic and business with big differences in prices. At basic you share with many. You'll notice how they offer very low upload speeds on all these basic packages. That's because businesses want high upload speeds and they will have to pay through the nose for them. It's good business for the ISP's as they make a lot of money selling ridiculously high priced packages to businesses.

As a comparison, I'm able to get 100/100 Mbps in the Philippines now for under 3000 baht/month. They don't throttle upload speeds, which are not as important for the general populous.

tested. Our 3bb package speed is supposed to be 10M, but the report shows Download 260kbps, Upload 1.3 Mbps. Scored only 4% of the average speed.

Who can open this link now: js.189.cn This is a tele com website of my hometown. Just want to check how much they charge for different speed.

The Chinese websites I browse are not at all the popular sites. They are mainly medical/health sites and language learning sites....

I've printed out the test report and will go to 3BB to ask first.

There's no problem opening js.189.cn with CAT right now in the late afternoon.

Seeing as your upload speed is normal, it's possible that you have speed hogs in your area draining your download speed. Perhaps a lot of people downloading movies 24/7.

The part that I consider "rude" is that if I want to change my package, either up or down, is that they (CAT) require me to sign a new contract and lock me in for another 12 months. Currently I'm on a grandfathered package, but it's month to month. It's better on upload but lower on download than the current similar packages.

I can see that they might insist on a new 12-month minimum if you change the type of supply (ie if they install fibre for you) but to demand 12 months for just changing your package does indeed seem unreasonable.

There's no problem opening js.189.cn with CAT right now in the late afternoon.

Seeing as your upload speed is normal, it's possible that you have speed hogs in your area draining your download speed. Perhaps a lot of people downloading movies 24/7.

That site loads for me now (3BB) but does take about 15-20 seconds which makes it slow compared to other sites.

I can see that they might insist on a new 12-month minimum if you change the type of supply (ie if they install fibre for you) but to demand 12 months for just changing your package does indeed seem unreasonable.

I agree, especially for someone who has been with them for many years. They recently grandfathered all the fiber packages (they really just changed the name), and even if I downgrade I need to sign another one year contract.

I wonder how much data I use each month. Rather than being held hostage for the ransoms being extorted by SBNNET and TMN when they are the only option in a building, it might be cheaper to rely on mobile data plans. I've been shopping around True, AIS and DTAC and they have 12-month plans with seemingly high data limits.

e.g. For B1999, DTAC has a "Super Non-Stop" package with one year of monthly 80GB data download, and for B2499 it's 100GB.

AIS has a "4G Smart Deal" for B1288 with 60GB data, and B1888 with 95GB data.

Problem is, I have no idea how much data I use per month.

Maybe subscribe to the cheapest fibre plan then use it if the 4G plan tops out?

For the area I've been looking to move to (central Jomtien) on both True and AIS I've had solid LTE signals with download speeds between 25Mbps and 45Mbps.

I've had feedback from a couple condo managers in the area who say that their hands are tied somewhat in what ISP can service their buildings -- that most of the ISPs lines are already maxed out in the area. View Talay Residence 3 told me that if I could persuade True Online to run a line to my room the condo management has no objection, but that there simply wasn't any True capacity available for that area of Jomtien. If that's true, it's stunning that the big ISPs haven't bothered to improve the infrastructure to handle more customers. There must be several thousand condo units in that area.

First World Problems. biggrin.png

I wonder how much data I use each month. Rather than being held hostage for the ransoms being extorted by SBNNET and TMN when they are the only option in a building, it might be cheaper to rely on mobile data plans. I've been shopping around True, AIS and DTAC and they have 12-month plans with seemingly high data limits.

e.g. For B1999, DTAC has a "Super Non-Stop" package with one year of monthly 80GB data download, and for B2499 it's 100GB.

AIS has a "4G Smart Deal" for B1288 with 60GB data, and B1888 with 95GB data.

Maybe subscribe to the cheapest fibre plan then use it if the 4G plan tops out?

For the area I've been looking to move to (central Jomtien) on both True and AIS I've had solid LTE signals with download speeds between 25Mbps and 45Mbps.

I've had feedback from a couple condo managers in the area who say that their hands are tied somewhat in what ISP can service their buildings -- that most of the ISPs lines are already maxed out in the area. View Talay Residence 3 told me that if I could persuade True Online to run a line to my room the condo management has no objection, but that there simply wasn't any True capacity available for that area of Jomtien. If that's true, it's stunning that the big ISPs haven't bothered to improve the infrastructure to handle more customers. There must be several thousand condo units in that area.

First World Problems. biggrin.png

If you want to experiment with the high data mobile packages it would important to know how much add-on data will cost you to get you through the month if you go over your allowance.

View Talay Residence 3 told me that if I could persuade True Online to run a line to my room the condo management has no objection, but that there simply wasn't any True capacity available for that area of Jomtien.

True seem have some incomprehensible rule of their own that prevents them from installing anything above the third floor even when all work would be carried out inside the building in the conduits specifically designed for this. No other ISP that I know of has such a rule.

This makes no sense to me as there is absolutely no danger to personnel involved and no ladders are required (apart from step-ladders to access the ceiling spaces).

I asked several different True shops on different occasions and all told me the same thing.

Another building in the area told me that 3BB was not available for a similar reason: they have no more ADSL lines to add new users. Do you think that's true, or is the building "saving face" by not saying they had to sign an exclusionary contract with the cable company that offers internet in their building?

Another building in the area told me that 3BB was not available for a similar reason: they have no more ADSL lines to add new users. Do you think that's true, or is the building "saving face" by not saying they had to sign an exclusionary contract with the cable company that offers internet in their building?

Some buildings only have a small number of phone lines going to the outside so it could be in that building they are simply all being used. In some buildings the ISPs bring fibre right into the building and then deliver the signal internally via coax (for cable broadband companies) or by ADSL over the internal building phone lines. And in some other buildings there may actually be a limited number of external phone lines leading to the point outside the building, though that will depend on each ISP.

Any exclusive contract should only affect cable companies, not those that supply ADSL.

If you are using Windows 10:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/

What do you do with your internet connection? If you dont download films or watch streamed video/TV then your usage is probably quite small. Streamed audio (Spotify, internet radio) will use a fair bit if you have it on for many hours a day, but nowhere near as much as video. Normal web-browsing and email will use very little.

How many MB, GB can a single human consume?

High quality videos (I don't mean 4k but like 720p) are about 1 GB/h.

So if you consume video/movies from breakfast to sleep assume 16h = 16 GB.

That would make a whopping 480 GB per month.

And now use your percentage of this wink.png

As I often have IPTV (720p) running "in the background" I estimate about 250 GB per month.

(that huge amount of IPTV is streamed from Bangkok)

With lowering quality I could just get down to 100 GB or so.

Who uses more than 500 GB per month either has big family or manufactures movies/DVDs for friends etc.

And now guess what the outcry was when the biggest German ISP wanted to change from flatrate for 750 GB "fair use" biggrin.png

Those who seriously tell that they watch 4k videos on the internet in Thailand: details please.

If you are using Windows 10:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/

What do you do with your internet connection? If you dont download films or watch streamed video/TV then your usage is probably quite small. Streamed audio (Spotify, internet radio) will use a fair bit if you have it on for many hours a day, but nowhere near as much as video. Normal web-browsing and email will use very little.

What a neat little Win10 feature. Right now I'm on the road with my Surface tablet/notebook and it only shows 137.1MB for the last 30 days, but when I get home to the desktop computer, that should give me an indication.

Probably my biggest data chunks are Windows Updates and TV shows I download when they are in season. I tend to think I use more than 1GB per day, even when I download TV shows, but really don't know. I think the last 30-days data usage might be enlightening.

Thanks!

137.1MB for the last 30 days

That's really very low use.

I tend to think I use more than 1GB per day, even when I download TV shows

As written in high quality 1h would need 1 GB.

And I have to correct:

1 GB would even be good for a 1h "Full HD" (1080p) video (if it is encoded with a modern codec) like seen below.

But a standard quality comparable to youtube 480p ("VGA") is about a 0.3 GB.

See this example.

Adele, "Hello", a 6 min video.

See the sizes and multiply by 10 and you have a rule of thumb for a "1h show".

Even a "360 p" video is still "viewable/acceptable" where picture quality is not the top feature.

post-99794-0-57485800-1468572577_thumb.j

I'm happy most of the time with my 3BB line in Jomtien. Testing on speedtest.net I get around 2 to 4 Mbs to Europe. Good enough to watch streamed content in HD.

I was going to say that it's because it had only been in use for a little over a day and mainly forum reading and e-mails. I only use this computer when I'm away from home, and the last time was over a month ago.

However, I just checked again and it's only showing 152.84MB, so I wonder if it gets reset sometimes when the computer reboots, or every time a new WiFi connection is established? I'm pretty sure I've used more than 15MB of data since I checked yesterday morning., considering I watched a couple HD YouTube videos.

I was going to say that it's because it had only been in use for a little over a day and mainly forum reading and e-mails. I only use this computer when I'm away from home, and the last time was over a month ago.

However, I just checked again and it's only showing 152.84MB, so I wonder if it gets reset sometimes when the computer reboots, or every time a new WiFi connection is established? I'm pretty sure I've used more than 15MB of data since I checked yesterday morning., considering I watched a couple HD YouTube videos.

I apparently don't understand what it being reported by Windows. After some more browsing and e-mail, it showed 157MB. Then I downloaded a 58.1MB YouTube video (saved it to my computer) and now it shows 160.07MB data usage from last 30 days?

I apparently don't understand what it being reported by Windows. After some more browsing and e-mail, it showed 157MB. Then I downloaded a 58.1MB YouTube video (saved it to my computer) and now it shows 160.07MB data usage from last 30 days?

Perhaps it only updates every complete 24 hour period?

Well, it seems to continuously update in small increments, like from 152.84MB to 157MB while browsing forums, and then to 160.07 after downloading a video. There's undoubtedly some rhyme and reason to it, but I haven't figured it out yet. Right now it's sitting at 175.86MB.

20Mbps = B2,158/mo

50Mbps = B2,908/mo

100Mbps = B6,658/mo

12/2Mbps = B1,284/mo

15/3Mbps = B2,675/mo

20/3Mbps = B3,210/mo

Yikes!

My take on the service and rates with Sophon and TMN cable internet:

Well, it seems to continuously update in small increments, like from 152.84MB to 157MB while browsing forums, and then to 160.07 after downloading a video. There's undoubtedly some rhyme and reason to it, but I haven't figured it out yet. Right now it's sitting at 175.86MB.

I'm back at home on the desktop computer and the Win10 Settings > Network & Internet > Data usage feature shows data usage from last 30 days:

Wi-Fi: 4.62 GB

I know that is way low as I downloaded four seasons of a TV show as well as a Linux distro in that period. Still not sure just what Windows is reporting, but it really isn't an accurate indication of data uploaded/downloaded.

Archived