Plastic Injection Moulding for Small Run

Hi TV,

I'm looking for a company that does something similar to this:

http://www.wired.com/2013/01/protomold/

Protomold has stepped in to provide servicing to those makers who need small orders by being able to produce 50-5,000 injection-molded parts in one business day with prices starting at $1,495 for a production tool, and each produced part costing a couple dollars or less. The experience isn't much different than ordering business cards online. A designer uploads their CAD file, chooses from a few preset options, and shelf-worthy injection-molded parts arrive on their doorstep.

I've been working on a new invention and am thinking about taking it to the next level. I have some capital I can put into this project but I need help with the mould design and finding a company that would allow me to make small runs, and likely a lot of changes through the prototyping phase.

I have zero experience in product design or plastic injection moulding.

All tips and suggestions welcomed.

Regards

SM

Thanks Impulse. I understand making tools and moulds is very expensuve thats why i offered up the specific example of Protomold.

They specialize is one off small runs and offer very affordable rates

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar company here that works with small time guys like me.

Thanks

SM

If you want change and modify the design as you develop it you should be looking at 3D printing instead.

Once you have finalised your design and want to do large production runs then create a mold.

Good Points. After some late night research, this is the route I'm currently attempting to take.

Even after the prototype has been created by fiberglass or 3D printing, I'm still interested in doing a small run - I'm not able to commit 10s of thousands of dollars to a mould and market that I am unsure of - Thus why I want a small run to test the market. Making 100 units with 3D printing is not an option. But making 100 unit with plastic injection from a company that does something like ProtoMold is an affordable option.

Also thanks for all the advice. Really just winging it here at the moment so everything is helpful.

Rgs

SM

How large is your product , that will help determine cost and how strong your prototype mold will cost ,

the injection pressure goes up quick the larger the item , plus if its too long you need to keep the flow from hardening before it fills the mold

Your original quote sounds like advertising BS at $1495 for tooling unless its very simple . .

Do you have a Cad file for what you want to make ?

this will help to make a simple aluminum mold , shot one at a time , open mold, take out part and repeat , a "real" mold will have ejector pins and the mold will open with the machine , but there are other ways of doing it......

there are a few other ways to do it , it really depends how much hand work you want to do after it comes out of the mold, what material you want it in , and what the surface finish needs to be ......

I have had about 20 small things injection molded , 100-200 pieces each , , anyway if you want to PM me and give me a better idea I can point you where to look.....

Cheers

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/21/2016 at 9:31 AM, BKKdreaming said:

How large is your product , that will help determine cost and how strong your prototype mold will cost ,

the injection pressure goes up quick the larger the item , plus if its too long you need to keep the flow from hardening before it fills the mold

Your original quote sounds like advertising BS at $1495 for tooling unless its very simple . .

Do you have a Cad file for what you want to make ?

this will help to make a simple aluminum mold , shot one at a time , open mold, take out part and repeat , a "real" mold will have ejector pins and the mold will open with the machine , but there are other ways of doing it......

there are a few other ways to do it , it really depends how much hand work you want to do after it comes out of the mold, what material you want it in , and what the surface finish needs to be ......

I have had about 20 small things injection molded , 100-200 pieces each , , anyway if you want to PM me and give me a better idea I can point you where to look.....

Cheers

$1495 for tooling is about right for small parts that measures less than 10cm with at least two cavities.

Update to this.  I've run into a few road blocks on this project... for now. My target market recently had several new additions from cheap competitors and the sure thing isn't so sure anymore.  Now trying to evaluate whether or not the idea is worth chasing as I'm working on some other ideas.

For those who asked earlier, the piece i was trying to prototype is basically a modified medium sized square base garbage can with a complicated lid.  The end use is not garbage collection, but the structure is very similar.  I picked that shape because it's an existing item and figured it would be esy to modify rather than create something completely new from scratch. I've managed to create parts of it using FreeCAD, but my limited skills there aren't helping.  My next step will likely be to seek the help of a skilled auto-cad user and sit down with them to come up with a design that I will send for 3D prototype.

Rgs

SM

For prototypes get a < $200 3D printer. Will be a bit rough around the edges but should be perfectly serviceable for proof  of concept. It will also prevent many of the mistakes and re-tooling if you go the molding route.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived