Hanging wires: beautification of Samui begins

webfact

Hanging wires: beautification of Samui begins

s1a.jpg
Image: Thairath

SAMUI: -- Work has begun in earnest to bury the unsightly wires and cables that blight tourist spots on the holiday island of Koh Samui.

Workers from the Electrical Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT) working in conjunction with ten other cable companies have started on the work in the Chaweng beach road area of the island, reported Thairath.

They hope to eventually bury some 3.1 kilometers of wires in the area at a cost of 380 million baht. The Chaweng work should be completed by the end of 2018 with some 1.3 kilometers of work to also be done in other areas of Samui.

Chaweng was given the priority because it is a high profile tourist area.

The start of work follows a lot of comment recently about the problem of ugly and possibly dangerous electrical wires and cables hanging from EGAT posts. The issue even came to the attention of Bill Gates who commented online about the issue facing Thailand and other countries.

The work has actually been in the pipeline for three years but has been hurried along recently after senior government figures got involved.

Panumat Limsuwan of EGAT said that the work is a joint operation of the electrical authority and ten other companies. The first stage, he said, is to cut out wires and cables that are no longer being used then to bundle up those that are used in a neat way.

Authorities are currently offering the work of burying the wires and cables out to tender.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-07-12

Out to TENDER. That's the magic word.

The work has actually been in the pipeline for three years but has been hurried along recently after senior government figures got involved.

It all makes sense now.

I suppose they are the same people supplying the canvas for the rubbish tip.

10 million euro for 3 kilometer of wire.....underground...

Maybe a zero too few or much again?

But that road floods regularly right? Maybe it's even more dangerous after they changed it. And while they're at it, also fix the smelly drainproblem.

I'd have started with burying the thousands of tons of trash.

I've never been gagged by the smell of ugly wires.

Me too, the worst problem at Chaweng mainroad is the very loud noise at night so nobody can sleep. In our resort they all waited untill 6 am for the noise to calm down and we could go to sleep.

The 2nd problem there is the smell of the drains, the 3rd is the agressive ladyboys at night.

But i haven't been back to samui for more then a decade so it might be different now.

10 million euro for 3 kilometer of wire.....underground...

Maybe a zero too few or much again?

But that road floods regularly right? Maybe it's even more dangerous after they changed it. And while they're at it, also fix the smelly drainproblem.

Yes, it seems to me the smelly drain problem is far worst as far as tourism is concern, at least it's the modest opinion of my olfactory buds sad.png

It all makes sense now.

I would have put it otherwise, that is to say why not use canvas to cover those wires?

I'm sure they simply did not think about it, it could be suggested maybe gigglem.gif

The various hanging cables were also neatly tied up some years back – Samui's first cable-clean-up project – but seem like that lots of new cables been added since then, and some of them did not find their way up together with the previously neatly tied ones...

Just need to compare with our private road, where I paid EGAT to tie up the cables about 7 years ago, when I also paid for changing a pair of the cement posts, but unfortunately some of the new cables (mainly Internet, I presume, but also mains from meter to private house) are just hanging underneath.sad.png

But glad to see the work being redone smile.png, so one don't walk into a hangig cable – may even be a live wire...whistling.gif

It all makes sense now.

Beat me to it Rooo! Maybe someone should invite Bill Gates to have a look at the rubbish tip too? I am sure that he would have an appropriate comment to make, especially as the PM has been involved to no avail!

It all makes sense now.

I would have put it otherwise, that is to say why not use canvas to cover those wires?

I'm sure they simply did not think about it, it could be suggested maybe gigglem.gif

I think the poster was being facetious by suggesting canvas be used to cover the rubbish tip! How about a 50,000 gallon bucket of whitewash?

Still, at least something is being done to "beautify Samui" (cheesy.gif ), rather than just talk about it!

Me too, the worst problem at Chaweng mainroad is the very loud noise at night so nobody can sleep. In our resort they all waited untill 6 am for the noise to calm down and we could go to sleep.

The 2nd problem there is the smell of the drains, the 3rd is the agressive ladyboys at night.

But i haven't been back to samui for more then a decade so it might be different now.

More than 10 years ago so your opinion is invalid IMHO.

If you stay in on the main road in Chaweng near the 'lively areas' then of course it is going to be noisy until the early hours!

Drains tend to smell it will depend on how much water/rain has gone down them but I can assure you the drainage on Samui is much improved.

If you are out until the early hours and drunk then you are a likely target for thieves (same the world over) and aggressive Ladyboys.

You haven't been back to Samui for more than a decade, and yet you still address the problems in the present tense?

It all makes sense now.

I think the poster was being facetious by suggesting canvas be used to cover the rubbish tip! How about a 50,000 gallon bucket of whitewash?

Still, at least something is being done to "beautify Samui" (cheesy.gif ), rather than just talk about it!

"I think the poster was being facetious by suggesting canvas be used to cover the rubbish tip!"

Of course he was, imagine one second if it would have been serious... blink.png

You haven't been back to Samui for more than a decade, and yet you still address the problems in the present tense?

Yes, i was speaking 4 languages today that's why.

I wonder how the Thai are going to build their new underground electrical systems. Have to chosen a system from another country? I guess that they will use another system on Samui as they do in BKK and one day they end up with all kinds of systems in Thailand.

If it really floods at chaweng road they have to fill all the new electrical with epoxy to make it waterproof. After that it's not easy to extend the system or change something.

They better buy everythign from Germany including some electrician instructors. The guests on Samui pay Western prices so should also expect German quality and safety i would think.

There was a very good example f what can happen with the wiring currently around at On Nut in Bangkok this morning. Right next to the BTS station as well. I saw it whilst in McDonalds opposite. Everyone was taking video of it as well. You could feel the heat from the other side of Sukhumvit Road that is how intense it was.

Having said that the fir department was quick on the scene as were the companies to replace the cables. I notice though there is nothing about it in that paper that can not be mentioned or here on TV.

I wonder how the Thai are going to build their new underground electrical systems. Have to chosen a system from another country? I guess that they will use another system on Samui as they do in BKK and one day they end up with all kinds of systems in Thailand.

If it really floods at chaweng road they have to fill all the new electrical with epoxy to make it waterproof. After that it's not easy to extend the system or change something.

They better buy everythign from Germany including some electrician instructors. The guests on Samui pay Western prices so should also expect German quality and safety i would think.

I don't understand how your claim to be able to speak 4 languages is relevant to Samui (as it is today) based on what you saw 10 years ago?

IME a lot of the flooding problems have been addressed.

My concern is we have muppets posting on the forums that are offering an opinion about what should be done on Samui yet the last time they visited was 10 years ago ! <deleted>.

Well at least they are attempting some kind of improvement. $3,000,0000 and 2 years to complete seems a bit excessive for what they are doing though. In any case good for them this is a small step in the right direction. Not sure why anybody would complain about this.

When I was at Samui 10-years ago, there were a lot of things that could be changed to the better – in my alien-way-of-thinking – 10 years after, many of them have been improved; including some of the very important things like flodding, road surface to tarmac, public water supply, and electric power stability.

We who come here regular, or live here permanent, see small changes all the time to the better – not in one area only, but all over the island, like improvement of the road to Nathon from both Southern Samui and at the moment also Northern. And I noted that now the second of rivers in Manenam-area is widened and the sides stabilized – photo from few days ago – so that won't pile up garbage and block the water flow in monsoon season; I think also the often flodding river in Lamai has done.

post-122720-0-13500300-1468482018_thumb.

Maenam river by Police Box opposite Soi 1, seen from bridge towards beach area (11-07-2016).

Of course there are many more issues still to deal with, like garbage and hanging wires – the last both for safety and visual impression – especially with the all the time growing numbers of visitors and residents. But in your "home country", don't you have issues that need improvement, and that may take long time to fix..?

However, noise in Chaweng Beach area and ladyboys are easily solved – both now and 10-years ago – stay somewhere else at Samui, there are multiple choices, if you like to party...smile.png

Great post Khun Per,

In addition to that outlet on Soi 1, there is also another drainage outlet, in the Ban Tai area that they have been working on.... all part of the extensive road works and drainage system between Nathon and Maenam.

Also on the Nathon Hill they have put in new power poles and lines, it looks too, like the road will be widened. ... all coming along slowly but surely! thumbsup.gif

I hope they leave some wires for the birds! tongue.pngwhistling.gif

untitled-2.jpg

cheesy.gif

sad.png I never knew before that a German cable trench was encased in epoxy resin! I was going with the concept of good quality insulated cables with nominal protective capping.

Perhaps Thailand will have to learn how to avert the tunnelling and theft of cable sections by ex Eastern Bloc grandmothers! cheesy.gif

Archived