Smelling The 'cork'

corkscrew

Last night we had dinner at a nice 'western' restaurant by the river. We ordered a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. The waiter removed the all metal screw cap and set it beside me so that I could sniff it and squeeze it to make sure that it had not gone bad. :o

Last night we had dinner at a nice 'western' restaurant by the river. We ordered a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. The waiter removed the all metal screw cap and set it beside me so that I could sniff it and squeeze it to make sure that it had not gone bad. :o

Are you sure that's why he placed it beside you? Or was he just having a laugh?

Are you sure that's why he placed it beside you? Or was he just having a laugh?

You might be right!

Who comes to Thailand to eat farang food? OK, I'll put a cork in it! Although it is a tasty treat to have a blast from the past hit your palate from time to time. Did anyone find a nice and not expensive Thanksgiving dinner yet?

Who comes to Thailand to eat farang food? OK, I'll put a cork in it! Although it is a tasty treat to have a blast from the past hit your palate from time to time. Did anyone find a nice and not expensive Thanksgiving dinner yet?

Actually, most of us have lived here for years; and many times we are hungry for something other than Thai.

corkscrew , you seem to be something of a gourmet who enjoys food and wine

i dont know anything about wine , i rarely drink it , but can you tell me ... does it make any difference to the taste of the wine if the bottle has a cork or a screw cap , and if so , why do so many wines now come with screw caps ?

thanks in advance for your reply.

i dont know anything about wine , i rarely drink it , but can you tell me ... does it make any difference to the taste of the wine if the bottle has a cork or a screw cap , and if so , why do so many wines now come with screw caps ?

Isn't there a cork shortage?

It's a 50/50 call imo.back home and in Aussie, you can buy some very good wines that are screw tops.For youngish wines, i don't think it matters a toss and none of them are "corked"

having stumbled across a few posts under the food section, Id have to agree with that :o

if he agrees I might make him my honorary 'where to eat out' n 'where to party' adviser :D

Some of the worlds top chefs reside in Bangkok. Give em a try once in a while.

I don't want fish sauce and chilli 3 times a day.

Thanksgiving dinner?

Bourbon St & Great American Rib are two I've had in the past.

I might stop at the Madrid after Thanksgiving. Will they be serving Turkey Sandwiches I wonder?

Some of the worlds top chefs reside in Bangkok. Give em a try once in a while.

I don't want fish sauce and chilli 3 times a day.

Thanksgiving dinner?

Bourbon St & Great American Rib are two I've had in the past.

I might stop at the Madrid after Thanksgiving. Will they be serving Turkey Sandwiches I wonder?

Thanks, for the advice! My lover and I are new to Bkk (retirement visa) , and although he is Thai, I cannot eat Thai food every meal. I look forward to trying the special foods prepared by chefs of Bkk. I lived in Hawaii and the blend of east and west is my favorite, even though I am Italian/American. The noodle circles the world, rice every meal and fish sauce is more difficult, I agree.

I will take to either Bourbon St. :o or the others you suggested. Thanks, again.

skipper if you agree Im thinking of compiling a similar list with my fav places around bangkok and add your list to it, then post in a different thread..name in Guide to Restaurants around downtown banfkok, and maybe ask the Mod to pin it under food section?

what do you say? :D

PM me and let me know if you want :D I think it can be very useful. will also save us a lot of time to come up with more suggestions each time someone new asks. I will try to use similar format you did, where locations are cited, followed by the restaurants/eat places available in that part. no phone numbers though...cos that would be wayyyy too long, besides theres lots of search on the net that will generate that :D

sorry if again my post is not quite relevant to OP :o forgive me cork :D

Edited by MiG16

To be truthful, wines using the screwcap will be preserved against oxy-aging (bad) better than ones with corks. Though I collect antique corkscrews my little machines are a thing of the past. The cork, though romantic, is not without its faults....and in the past it was a good seal...but, today's caps are better. Also, cork trees in Portugal will have a longer life.

There's more to do with corks. Many bottled wines that used corks had to be 'bottle conditioned', ie, left to lie down to 'finish'. For most (and I do mean most) modern wines that are perfectly drinkable without bottle conditioning, they don't need, nor are they improved by it.

For the romantic (like me, ahem!) there are a few wines that I buy with corks that I lie down for a number of years and most of the time it's worth it. Sometimes they are not at their best, but this is rare. There's also the environmental damage done by using cork.

So, in conclusion, most wines are fine with screw tops or synthetic corks, certainly those produced for everyday drinking. Only the occasional 'special' wine should have a real cork.

I hope this makes sense.