A/C Baht Bus In Khon Kaen

kowpot

well I should say to start off it is actually 15 baht to ride.

I live in Khon Kaen and never rode this bus. So the Mrs and I decided to ride it and see exactly where it goes. We left from Fairy Plaza because that is where we were when we decided to go on this venture.

The bus seems to come by every 20-30 minutes and stops right out front of Amazon Coffee. Which is a good place to wait for it. The bus is quite nice and like I said, it is Air Conditioned. It seats about 20 people with hand holds for those standing up. There were about 10 people on the bus, so we had plenty of room. I couldn't figure out why there weren't more people on it. After all, it was air conditioned and only 15 baht. I think it is even less for students.

Well anyway, off we were. It went up past the post office and proceeded that way for quite a while, then it turned on a road that I was unfamiliar with. I have seen it before but not sure what is down there worth anything. It zig zagged through the streets but never went by anyplace that was important. It didn't stop at any hospitals or government offices or anywhere that I could imagine going. It did stop at Central Plaza, "kind of". It stopped on the other side of the 4 lane highway. You would have to try and cross 4 lanes of traffic in order to get there.

We proceeded until we got to the city gate, turned left and headed toward the airport. Right after passing Makro and the mini C it makes a U turn and goes to the new bus station. There you get on another, pay another 15 baht and go back almost the same way.

I can't for the life of me think of why I would ever ride this bus again. It doesn't go anywhere near any decent hospitals, doesn't go to the drivers license place. Doesn't go near the immigration building. Can't go to Big C or Tesco extra.

The Mayor says that the service will only continue if there is ridership. Well, how about going someplace that the people want to go.

The mayor did say that maybe next year if there is a demand for it, they will add extra routes.

I say change the stupid route you have now and maybe people will ride the damned thing.

TerryLH,

You are correct. I am not very familiar with any of the names of streets. I usually just know which way I want to go and take a songthaew that is heading in that direction. When I am ready to come home, I call a taxi. That is why the interest in the Bus.

• 6 months later...
20 hours ago, jednakropka said:

Would be nice if someone show picture of this bus.

There are many buses in KK and for person who is not from KK can be little confusing 

Just click the link that KhunBENQ provided and you will see how the Buses look like from inside and outside.

The route map on the website is actually pretty clear and easy to understand.

Yes it stops at BigC as well at Central and the old Bus station, then continuing and going past Fairy Plaza.

Very useful, clean, strong Aircon, but not many people using it, probably as it only stops at designated stops and costs a little more than the Sawngthaews. You pay 15 Baht (have the coins ready) as you enter, inserting it in a Box next to the driver. I did not know about this Bus, but saw it when I arrived at KK Bus station and gave it a try. Got off at Central and from there took an (overpriced) TukTuk to the place I was staying. Used it again when going to the Bus station upon leaving KK, at that time I had already figured out the route and how the system works.

Hope this Citybus system will survive. Not sure about that, though....

Archived