where are CELTA job listings?

• CELTACertificate to English Language Teaching to Adults, subsequently re-acronymed as Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
  • TEFLTeaching English as a Foreign Language
  • TESOLTeaching English to speakers of other languages as well as TESOL International Association and Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages

Is there really a hell for teachers?

• CELTACertificate to English Language Teaching to Adults, subsequently re-acronymed as Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
  • TEFLTeaching English as a Foreign Language
  • TESOLTeaching English to speakers of other languages as well as TESOL International Association and Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages

Is there really a hell for teachers?

"in" not "to"

CELTA has not been renamed, the "Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages" that is in brackets after CELTA, is merely there to further explain what CELTA is.

Let me tell you right now - A CELTA means very little here in Thailand.

I have a CELTA and have never been asked once to produce it. Sure, they state in the job ads that you must or should have one, but in my years of working here, I've never been asked to show it.

Let me tell you in my opinion what 'most' schools are looking for (in no particular order):

Young teachers (aka subservient and naive)

Teachers preferably with one years' experience but really no more than two (You've become jaded, aka you know the system and won't tolerate being ripped off and cheated anymore)

A teacher with a degree in any field. Hopefully you won't be in Thailand longer than three years so waivers won't be an issue. "Your degree is in music? Don't think too much. You're just here to put bums on seats"

Handsome young men or beautiful young women. Preferably a busty blonde girl with blue eyes. One who is learning Thai and likes to mix both English and Thai when speaking; "Thank you very much, ka. No, your skin is so narak, ka. My skin is mai dee, ka". What? It's cute.

Self-loathing white foreigners (Native or non-native) Again, you're here to look good and put bums on seats) Foreigners who think Thailand is a perfect example of a good society. Must always criticise your own culture and society and compare to Thailand's. You'll think you're endearing yourself to the locals by beating on yourself, but really, any respect they did have for you will soon vanish. (And you won't be able to figure out why)

Must have at least three work shirts, pair of trousers and some shoes (socks are not a deal breaker, but preference will be given to those with them) Attractive young females, you don't need socks. You can pretty much wear what you like. The school will make up the dress code for you as they go along. You'll probably be gone after three months when you find a better paying job, anyway. Don't worry, though. You'll be on the Facebook page forever.

Must be good at saying 'yes' and hearing 'no'. This rule applies exclusively to you and not the school. The school do it the other way round. We don't won't no negative Nellys giving the other teachers a sense of what's right and fair. At the end of the day, everything we do is for the kids. (Not the school, though. They are a business after all)

Also, if you could sign a 10 month contract, that would be great. Don't worry, though. If the school find you suitably subservient and willing, they'll let you re-sign. And you get a two month unpaid holiday! Win-win!

Anywho, good luck. There are decent jobs out there, it's just they're harder to find.

I have a CELTA and have never been asked once to produce it. Sure, they state in the job ads that you must or should have one, but in my years of working here, I've never been asked to show it.

Let me tell you in my opinion what 'most' schools are looking for (in no particular order):

Teachers preferably with one years' experience but really no more than two (You've become jaded, aka you know the system and won't tolerate being ripped off and cheated anymore)

A teacher with a degree in any field. Hopefully you won't be in Thailand longer than three years so waivers won't be an issue. "Your degree is in music? Don't think too much. You're just here to put bums on seats"

Handsome young men or beautiful young women. Preferably a busty blonde girl with blue eyes. One who is learning Thai and likes to mix both English and Thai when speaking; "Thank you very much, ka. No, your skin is so narak, ka. My skin is mai dee, ka". What? It's cute.

Self-loathing white foreigners (Native or non-native) Again, you're here to look good and put bums on seats) Foreigners who think Thailand is a perfect example of a good society. Must always criticise your own culture and society and compare to Thailand's. You'll think you're endearing yourself to the locals by beating on yourself, but really, any respect they did have for you will soon vanish. (And you won't be able to figure out why)

Must have at least three work shirts, pair of trousers and some shoes (socks are not a deal breaker, but preference will be given to those with them) Attractive young females, you don't need socks. You can pretty much wear what you like. The school will make up the dress code for you as they go along. You'll probably be gone after three months when you find a better paying job, anyway. Don't worry, though. You'll be on the Facebook page forever.

Must be good at saying 'yes' and hearing 'no'. This rule applies exclusively to you and not the school. The school do it the other way round. We don't won't no negative Nellys giving the other teachers a sense of what's right and fair. At the end of the day, everything we do is for the kids. (Not the school, though. They are a business after all)

Also, if you could sign a 10 month contract, that would be great. Don't worry, though. If the school find you suitably subservient and willing, they'll let you re-sign. And you get a two month unpaid holiday! Win-win!

Anywho, good luck. There are decent jobs out there, it's just they're harder to find.

I'm so proud of my CELTA Pass B, but you're right, despite stating it's a requirement, I've only been asked to produce it once (in 11 years) and the "Mickey Mouse" weekend TEFL course I did in London prior to deciding to go ahead with a TEFL career, seems to carry as much weight!

That said, if you're planning to teach EFL in other countries, particularly in Europe, it's worth having.

I'm so proud of my CELTA Pass B, but you're right, despite stating it's a requirement, I've only been asked to produce it once (in 11 years) and the "Mickey Mouse" weekend TEFL course I did in London prior to deciding to go ahead with a TEFL career, seems to carry as much weight!

That said, if you're planning to teach EFL in other countries, particularly in Europe, it's worth having.

Absolutely. Me too.

It's just a sad reflection here that at a TEFL level it's just a show here for the most part. Qualified or not; this isn't most schools priority.

Thanks for the replies , but in fact, I knew all that already ( about Thailand ). I suppose it only is useful in other countries. I know someone who is doing his CELTA right now at IH on Silom Road. He told me a few months ago he was going to do it. He got really good

job offers Malaysia (and maybe elsewhere) for CELTA holders only.

Of course, British Council in Thailand too, will only take CELTAS

Archived