Thai Airways wins Skytrax "Most Improved Airline" award for 2016

bubba

If you spend a lot of time travelling, you are probably familiar with the annual Skytrax polls.

So TG won "most improved airline". Maybe I missed something, but has anyone else noticed the said improvements?

From Skytrax:

Thai Airways is named the World's Most Improved Airline over the last 12 months at the World Airline Awards

The World's Most Improved Airline award reflects an airline's Quality improvement across the entire Airline Awards programme. This analyses an airline's change within the global rating, and their performance improvements in many of the award categories (eg. airport service, cabin staff, catering, IFE etc) to identify the most improved over the last 12 months.

Previous winners of this prestigious award include Air France, Garuda Indonesia, China Southern Airlines and Hong Kong Airlines.

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Awards/worlds_most_improved_airlines.html

"most improved"

The award you give to the kid that is basically hopeless and has no hope but his Dad has enough dough to spare to pay for 1/2 of the new Library extensions

Hard to imagine TG paying for too many library extensions (so as to speak) in view of their current finances :D .

But I am still honestly curious regarding how Thai Airways has improved, even to win this award?

Food has not changed onboard. The business class lounge has not improved and if anything, the food has become even more limited and poor quality there. (Compare that to their fellow Star Alliance lounges in BKK - Singapore and EVA). They have cut out the snack boxes on domestic routes. Still no wine in the two remote lounges.

No difference I can see with listless service, including onboard and staff who seem to be suffering with morale problems. Routes have been eliminated, etc.

Has anyone seen any sort of improvements anywhere??

Bangkok Airways also featured as best regional Asia, traveled last week on Thai Int , I have never had any problems with service over a time span from the Sky Master to the AB 380. surprising QANTAs only got award for Australia's best carrier ,besides Virgin, who else is there. The sky's the limit...........................coffee1.gif

Thai Airways does seem to have undertaken some fleet upgrades. On certain sectors I've travelled recently they've used the new Boeing Dreamliner and the Airbus 380 - both significant improvements from the predecessor planes being used. Not sure what else has changed.

Thai Airways does seem to have undertaken some fleet upgrades. On certain sectors I've travelled recently they've used the new Boeing Dreamliner and the Airbus 380 - both significant improvements from the predecessor planes being used. Not sure what else has changed.

Yes, and I really do like the 787. But that said, TG's business class seating is just average, with 2-2-2 seating, while other airlines are going 1-2-1, even American Airlines. Personally, I have never been a "bigger is better" A380 fan, particularly when they have a full load of passengers.

So TG bought some new aircraft. Many airlines have. Is that all it takes to get "most improved airline"?

Yes, and I really do like the 787. But that said, TG's business class seating is just average, with 2-2-2 seating, while other airlines are going 1-2-1, even American Airlines. Personally, I have never been a "bigger is better" A380 fan, particularly when they have a full load of passengers.

So TG bought some new aircraft. Many airlines have. Is that all it takes to get "most improved airline"?

They also have the A350 coming on board in a couple months...maybe that counts as an improvement too.

Also, I have read that on long-haul business/first, they've adopted the individual food servings and plating from the galley rather than serving the meal altogether on a tray from the cart. That's gotta count as an improvement as well.

Nice to see my primary airline, Emirates, took the overall award.

They also have the A350 coming on board in a couple months...maybe that counts as an improvement too.

Also, I have read that on long-haul business/first, they've adopted the individual food servings and plating from the galley rather than serving the meal altogether on a tray from the cart. That's gotta count as an improvement as well.

I didn't know that TG were now plating the food on long hauls. I guess the reason I haven't is because I have avoided TG on long hauls as much as possible over the last few years, and food was one of the reasons. The main course was essentially the same, with a single, oily mass all cooked together in a casserole dish. A styrofoam box with pad krakow and rice from the corner shop would be a huge improvement over that. Good to hear that they have improved on long haul food, though. As for Emirates, they have always individually plated meals.

My favourite for food, though, was Turkish, where they actually had a guy in a chef uniform come to your seat with a menu. The menu had suggested pairings, but you could still order a la carte and mix/match whatever you liked. And the food really was excellent. Incredible F&B in their lounge at Ataturk as well. A far cry from TG's home base lounges at BKK with their white bread mini-sandwiches and Gilbey's Philippines gin for your G&T.

I didn't know that TG were now plating the food on long hauls. I guess the reason I haven't is because I have avoided TG on long hauls as much as possible over the last few years, and food was one of the reasons. The main course was essentially the same, with a single, oily mass all cooked together in a casserole dish. A styrofoam box with pad krakow and rice from the corner shop would be a huge improvement over that. Good to hear that they have improved on long haul food, though. As for Emirates, they have always individually plated meals.

My favourite for food, though, was Turkish, where they actually had a guy in a chef uniform come to your seat with a menu. The menu had suggested pairings, but you could still order a la carte and mix/match whatever you liked. And the food really was excellent. Incredible F&B in their lounge at Ataturk as well. A far cry from TG's home base lounges at BKK with their white bread mini-sandwiches and Gilbey's Philippines gin for your G&T.

Thai is plating the food now...don't know if it's actually any better. Supposedly, they have indeed upgraded their food quality and presentation on long-haul flights. I don't know if it's been rolled-out through out the fleet yet, however. I read they have also been doing retrofitting of their biz/first cabins as well so this probably figures in the ratings as well. I too gave up flying Thai over a decade ago...too many other quality choices flying out of Bangkok to take Thai and also pay their premium fares for the privilege.

But I am still honestly curious regarding how Thai Airways has improved, even to win this award?

Food has not changed onboard. The business class lounge has not improved and if anything, the food has become even more limited and poor quality there. (Compare that to their fellow Star Alliance lounges in BKK - Singapore and EVA). They have cut out the snack boxes on domestic routes. Still no wine in the two remote lounges.

No difference I can see with listless service, including onboard and staff who seem to be suffering with morale problems. Routes have been eliminated, etc.

Has anyone seen any sort of improvements anywhere??

"But I am still honestly curious regarding how Thai Airways has improved, even to win this award?"

Most improved - compared to what: 'Zimbabwee Airlines'?

I add - Skytracks have been criticized many times before for their ranking including many past rankingsin regard to Thai - and in reality regular travelers know otherwise.

They surely must not have included the Business Lounge on domestic flights which is really crap. Had a stopover for 6 hours and was stuck at the lounge for many hours. Besides orange joice, coffee and some old curry pups their was nothing else on the money. Staffs only stood their for an hour without moving even clients came in.

The best awards that money can buy.

Isn't the Skytrax results determined by a survey of the traveling public?

You can believe that. I've had enough negative posts removed to know whose opinion really matters to them. A bit like politics. You think your vote counts, but any real changes are all bought.

The best awards that money can buy.

Isn't the Skytrax results determined by a survey of the traveling public?

You can believe that. I've had enough negative posts removed to know whose opinion really matters to them. A bit like politics. You think your vote counts, but any real changes are all bought.

Had the same with Skytrax and Tripadvisor, it all seems to depend on who your negative comments are about.

For me, them and EVA are the best options and I can usually get a reasonable price if I time it right. I'm just happy to have the space and avoid the queues. But the food is certainly ordinary.

well for the domestic routes they starting giving this wrap chicken ...which for me is an improvement compared to the previous catering company which gave out some tasteless press..so improvement based on that I guess is an improvement

I guess what you are talking about is the single chicken roll that they now pass out rather than the previous box, which had sandwiches, a small dessert, orange juice and water. Definitely cost saving, but I am not sure it's an improvement.

Ironically, it is almost exactly the same as the Auntie Annie's snack handed out by LCC NokAir.

well for the domestic routes they starting giving this wrap chicken ...which for me is an improvement compared to the previous catering company which gave out some tasteless press..so improvement based on that I guess is an improvement

I guess what you are talking about is the single chicken roll that they now pass out rather than the previous box, which had sandwiches, a small dessert, orange juice and water. Definitely cost saving, but I am not sure it's an improvement.

Ironically, it is almost exactly the same as the Auntie Annie's snack handed out by LCC NokAir.

Obviously they need to cut costs.

But They have no overall consistency on this subject. Not long back I was waiting to board at Chiang Mai airport and the gate very nearby was in the process of boarding the passengers, a Thai Inter. flight.

No less than 12 staff at the boarding gate, and most of them doing nothing whatever.

I've been flying Thai pretty regular (DEL & KUL) the last several months (after a few years of not using them) and I think there has been a dramatic improvement on the flights and in the lounge.

Whatever

Any changes for the better in terms of arrogance especially with cabin staff and especially in terms of their attitude to Thai passengers?

Archived