German Fights for Refund After Eating Rotten Lobster at Popular Pattaya Seafood Restaurant

webfact

German Fights for Refund After Eating Rotten Lobster at Popular Pattaya Seafood Restaurant
Story by Albert Jack

lob.jpg

PATTAYA: -- At 11pm on the evening of July 13 Mr Hoelderirch Wolfgang, a seventy-year old German national, took his lobster in to the Pattaya police station.

He reported to officers, via a translator, that he had been to a well-known Seafood Restaurant on Walking Street, South Pattaya, (which we are prevented from naming) and ordered the evidence in hand.

When it arrived he began to eat the tail and then noticed the legs were black and, on closer examination, he detected a foul odour, especially in the head area.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/227227/german-eats-rotten-lobster-popular-pattaya-seafood-restaurant/#prettyPhoto

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2016-07-13

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he's done the right thing here. Looks like he calmly took the evidence to the cops; no shouting the place down or ending up in a fist fight. I don't get the 'quality tourist' jibe. How many of us have had a really bad meal and been blatantly ripped off? It was hardly a bad somtum from a street stall. He's not got what he paid for and hopefully the cops will tell the restaurant to smarten up... but probably not.

Its like that Fawlty Towers episode,when a guest wanted

a full refund for a dodgy meal, Basil offered 50%,and if

she brought the rest up in the morning would get the other

50 %. The first thing I do with a lot of food,not only,but

especially seafood is give it a good sniff before putting

any in my mouth.

regards Worgeordie

He did the correct thing, taking the evidence to the police.

Had he spoken to the restaurant he would have been given nothing but a load of hassle.

What the police will do (if anything) will be interesting to hear.

Another wonderful promotion for Thailand and the "Thai Way" ...

Really luudee...I don't know where your from, but can you imagine walking into a police station in New York or London with some fish & chips & expecting them to leap into action because it wasn't up to standard.........Some of you guys really live in fantasy land when you dream of how a farang should be treated........ you should have been around about 150 years ago, along with Somerset Maugham when the sun never set on the Empire---being a white man then you may have got the treatment you feel you deserve now.......coffee1.gif

White man served bad lobster.......150 lashes for the cook

Really luudee...I don't know where your from, but can you imagine walking into a police station in New York or London with some fish & chips & expecting them to leap into action because it wasn't up to standard.........Some of you guys really live in fantasy land when you dream of how a farang should be treated........ you should have been around about 150 years ago, along with Somerset Maugham when the sun never set on the Empire---being a white man then you may have got the treatment you feel you deserve now.......coffee1.gif

The thing is , in London or New York , you dont need to escalate things up to the Police to get rotten food replaced. Given that ambient honnesty is far better than in Thailand

The staff excuse, he ate a bite, makes me wonder.

If it was rotten as the police agree, would they have just served the unmolested foul sea cockroach to another unsuspecting tourist?

I guess there are limits.

You can't serve it with a bite out of it, eh?

I admire the complaining tourist's persistence although whether he will actually get a refund is another question, and seems doubtful.

If it had happened to me, I would have probably tried to be more aggressive with the restaurant's management and been much less willing to pay for the allegedly rotten food.

I agree with others here, Wolfgang has done the right thing, already gaining far more negative exposure for the restaurant, in a calm manner.

It also appears that the Police are doing the right thing, they have confirmed the poor look and horrid smell and have sent the lobster to be analysed by the Public Health Office and Consumer Protection Department.

Great job Wolfgang, well done.

a well-known Seafood Restaurant on Walking Street, South Pattaya, (which we are prevented from naming)

The "Well-known Pattaya Seafood Restaurants Association", or WKPSRA, was formed especially to sue PattayOne anyway, for defaming all well-known Pattaya Seafood eateries. There you have it, no matter how you wiggle... Thai Justice Prevails!

There is no negative consequence for whatever famous restaurant that it is.

That's because under Thai law you can't publicly name a business with damaging information, even if that information is legally verifiable as true.

That's why these incidents happen frequently in Thailand without any fear from the owners that they will be hurt.

From the western POV, this is madness, but when we choose to live in and visit a country with this kind of legal culture, it's take it or leave it, isn't it?

As far a hygiene issues, compare the situation in Thailand to the USA where public health hygiene GRADES are publicly posted with large signs at the place of business! We're not in Kansas anymore.

surely it is a consumer right to be given food

suitable for human consumption.

in many countries offences like this carry fines for

the offending establishments.

any decent and forward looking restaurants should not only

give refund but also a compensatory token.

unless of course you are dealing with heartless scam artists.

surely it is a consumer right to be given food

suitable for human consumption.

in many countries offences like this carry fines for

the offending establishments.

any decent and forward looking restaurants should not only

give refund but also a compensatory token.

unless of course you are dealing with heartless scam artists.

And there lays the problem., Amazing Thailand,

A Western run restaurant here, most likely that would happen to some extent.

or new order served to you, maybe not refund.

He should have not given in, so quick.

Complaining at the restaurant may be interesting in Thailand.

I did once order a T-Bone steak in a rather higher priced restaurant which caters to expats and then got something not looking anything like a T-Bone Steak. I did ask what it was and they did say "T-Bone Steak". The manager told me then since I did insist it was not T-Bone easily identified by no "T-Bone" or any bone being present in the meat: Sometimes it has bone sometimes not!

So this is lobster! Sometimes it smell fresh - sometimes not!

Welcome to Thailand...

cheesy.gif

I don't know about New York, but in UK, if your meal is bad, as long as you explain to the restaurant your problem, by law you can refuse to pay. It is a civil matter.

Try doing that in walking street!

He did the right thing, walked away and dealt with the problem as best he could.

What would have done? PLease do explain and give me a laugh.

Archived