German Fights for Refund After Eating Rotten Lobster at Popular Pattaya Seafood Restaurant

webfact

"Waiter, Waiter, why has my lobster only got one claw?"

"Sorry for that Sir he was in a fight and lost"

"Take him back and bring me the winner"

Tommy Cooper

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's a big place they probably take credit cards. Just charge it then dispute the charge when it comes in. Send pics of the bad food and the receipt. I've disputed lots of bad items or service over the years and won all but one dispute. I didn't have to pay when l won.

One reason I go to sea food restaurants in Ban Saray next to the fishing boats, fresh, much lower prices and nice and quiet during weekdays. Win win.

Okay not so easy to do for the tourists.

Hope the German guy get a refund and a: we are very sorry followed by a wai.

Its like that Fawlty Towers episode,when a guest wanted

a full refund for a dodgy meal, Basil offered 50%,and if

she brought the rest up in the morning would get the other

50 %. The first thing I do with a lot of food,not only,but

especially seafood is give it a good sniff before putting

any in my mouth.

regards Worgeordie

Smart move. I do the same with any woman!

he can eat in the future: July 13th at 11 p.m. still to come tonight

I was wondering how long before someone would discover 11 p.m. Well it did take 12-Posts before the 13th one noticed it.

Shows you how well people understand what they read.

any in my mouth.

regards Worgeordie

Another point.

Some people may think the thing to do was to contact the tourist police.

However, if seeking to not pay for bad food, etc. that would generally not work.

It's my strong impression that the blanket policy of the tourist police is to advise foreigners to just PAY such bills, and move on, thus avoiding trouble.

Also these police live here and must continue to live with these business owners. Tourists just leave. See the point?

In my experience, the best hope for justice is to be a pain in the arse, right there and then. They know the majority of people will cower and cave, but if you show them, not this time, you can often win the dispute.

"They know the majority of people will cower and cave, but if you show them, not this time, you can often win the dispute."

Agreed! I once refused to pay the VAT on a bill, and pointed out that there was nothing shown on the menu to indicate that prices were subject to VAT. The waitress IMMEDIATELY deducted the VAT, and merely asked me to sign the amended amount on the bill - obviously to prove that she was not "pulling a fast one", but the speed at which she agreed (without involving any other member of staff/manager) implied that it was not the first time that someone had objected!

I've never had a restaurant dispute with an item that expensive.

I wonder what would have happened with this tactic:

Complain as he did and then refused.

Of course, elevate that to the highest manager. The news story was not clear whether this tourist did that.

Still refused --

Eat what other food is there, maybe even order more to replace the lobster to fill the meal.

Make a point to put the "almost" untouched lobster aside, but never letting anyone take it away!

When the bill comes, deduct the cost of the lobster from the bill and offer that total.

Of course, you'd need something close to exact change to do that.

Obviously, there would be a scene, but would that usually work?

Sure they might threaten to call the police, but I doubt they usually would, and if the food is really that rotten, the police might even take your side (dreams live on).

Anytime I'm in one of these Thailand seafood restaurants that have the seafood on ice on display I always select myself and get the staff to weigh it up and tell me the cost. So I get a chance to inspect the seafood first and ascertain the freshness. If there's any doubt at all I put that item down and that's the end of it.

I've never had a restaurant dispute with an item that expensive.

I wonder what would have happened with this tactic:

Complain as he did and then refused.

Eat what other food is there, maybe even order more to replace the lobster to fill the meal.

Make a point to put the "almost" untouched lobster aside, but never letting anyone take it away!

When the bill comes, deduct the cost of the lobster from the bill and offer that total.

Of course, you'd need something close to exact change to do that.

Obviously, there would be a scene, but would that usually work?

Not in Walking Street. The boss will tell the waiters to get the money from you, then kick the crap out of you and toss you out into the street.

I'm not so sure. I've not heard of tourists being beat up at WS restaurants. Only bars.

Of course even when it worked, it would generally be unpleasant.

Like expect to be screamed at, don't come back!, bad farang!, maybe even SPAT at.

Or beat up. Always possible.

The staff excuse, he ate a bite, makes me wonder.

If it was rotten as the police agree, would they have just served the unmolested foul sea cockroach to another unsuspecting tourist?

I guess there are limits.

You can't serve it with a bite out of it, eh?

I admire the complaining tourist's persistence although whether he will actually get a refund is another question, and seems doubtful.

If it had happened to me, I would have probably tried to be more aggressive with the restaurant's management and been much less willing to pay for the allegedly rotten food.

I'm with you on that. I would have immediately pushed my plate to one side and told them I am not eating it as it is rotten. I would put the ball in their court and ask them what they were going to do about it.

I have had things served to me that I have returned and to be honest I am never angry or offensive and so far it has been replaced without question.

If he had asked for a replacement or different meal maybe he would have a better experience. Either way, better dealt with at the restaurant..

Anytime I'm in one of these Thailand seafood restaurants that have the seafood on ice on display I always select myself and get the staff to weigh it up and tell me the cost. So I get a chance to inspect the seafood first and ascertain the freshness. If there's any doubt at all I put that item down and that's the end of it.

A very old worldwide restaurant scam is to take the live/fresh on ice or in a tank fish/shellfish & weigh it in front of you, take it to the kitchen, put it on ice/in another fish tank & cook you a completely different fish/ lobster/ crab less fresh & smaller, then return the nice one you picked to the front later....

Another wonderful promotion for Thailand and the "Thai Way" ...

Really luudee...I don't know where your from, but can you imagine walking into a police station in New York or London with some fish & chips & expecting them to leap into action because it wasn't up to standard.........Some of you guys really live in fantasy land when you dream of how a farang should be treated........ you should have been around about 150 years ago, along with Somerset Maugham when the sun never set on the Empire---being a white man then you may have got the treatment you feel you deserve now.......coffee1.gif

White man served bad lobster.......150 lashes for the cook

It's about the quality of the food for the price and popularity. And honestly if the restaurant wants to uphold its reputation, it should not serve rotten food, or replace it when clearly pointed out. This should be common practice for any good restaurant anywhere in the world. But sure, continue apologizing for Thailand's standards of "service".

any in my mouth.

regards Worgeordie

That's good advice for anything you put in your mouth

The German customer should post an honest review on a site such as TripAdvisor, detailing exactly what happened.

Thai defamation laws don't seem to apply to these global sites, and the customer could take comfort in the fact that a true, honest review will cost this restaurant a lot more in future business than the 1,800 baht that he wasted.

Big Update

This story was just on the Television News. Restaurant owner saying He ate all of it. then complained then left.

Took the empty shell to police.

A very old worldwide restaurant scam is to take the live/fresh on ice or in a tank fish/shellfish & weigh it in front of you, take it to the kitchen, put it on ice/in another fish tank & cook you a completely different fish/ lobster/ crab less fresh & smaller, then return the nice one you picked to the front later....

Yes, we used to call the lobsters in the tank, the professional lobsters. I specifically ordered a lobster which must have been a lefty, because it's left claw was much bigger than the right. When I was served the claws were the same size. I complained and was given some lobster and bull story about shrinkage when boiled. I then took the maitre d' to the tank and showed him the lobster I had ordered. The owner showed, he apologized, and had them bring me the correct one--he also left the original lobster and gave us another bottle of Nuits Sainte Gerorge Chardonnay. Ah, but that was many years ago at the Pearl City Tavern in Honolulu. Can you imagine any restaurant today giving you a lobster and a bottle of fine wine just because some lobster-dipper made a mistake?

One thing that really grates, is that it's seen as poor form to complain about goods and services not up to standard in Thailand.

When I'm paying 800b for a dish in a restaurant and it comes to the table resembling a street food dish for 40b I get a little upset and want to complain. My other half, in contrast, would rather run a million miles away than actually complain about anything. This is Thainess they tell me. I try to level and suggest I'm doing the restaurant a favour. After all, they will lose customers fast unless they improve on certain elements of service/presentation/basic cooking. Apparently it's best practice to smile, pay the bill, say everything was great, leave a tip and just not return to said restaurant, ever.

Similarly, when I'm sat enjoying a quite drink and suddenly there's a street vendor in my ear, squeezing a rubber chicken that lights up and makes the sound of a drowning cat, I'm supposed to bow my head and say the immortal words 'mai ao kap', rather than try to explain that, in my mid 40s with no dependent kids, I don't really have a need for a rubber chicken that lights up and sounds like a tortured cat and perhaps said vendor should diversify into something middle aged men would actually consider purchasing. And no, not a stocking with a print on it that I can wear on my forearm and pretend it's a tattoo, nor a plastic dog turd. That is also seen a bad practice.

Good customer service appears to be offered by those who willingly stop playing candy crush or picking their nose or taking selfies to serve you without you requesting their presence from the outset. And when you receive what you ordered, that means you must tip heavily and simultaneously be overjoyed. As with the old saying, if you fake sincerity you've got it made.

My strategy of dealing with bad/spoiled food is: (1) get the manager to agree that it is bad: (2) if the manager agrees (most of the time), then I ask for a suitable replacement; (3) if the manager says it looks fine, then I request that he take a large bite and tell me how it tastes.

I've actually never had a problem getting a replacement after initiating step #3...

Big Update

This story was just on the Television News. Restaurant owner saying He ate all of it. then complained then left.

Took the empty shell to police.

That is just a lie , he only ate the tail. Evidence is at the police station.

I think he's done the right thing here. Looks like he calmly took the evidence to the cops; no shouting the place down or ending up in a fist fight. I don't get the 'quality tourist' jibe. How many of us have had a really bad meal and been blatantly ripped off? It was hardly a bad somtum from a street stall. He's not got what he paid for and hopefully the cops will tell the restaurant to smarten up... but probably not.

Good for him! Ripped off and sold crap, restaurant refuses a refund, way to go! I applaud the guy. No need for a bar brawl, just hope he gets his money back and comensation if he has to go to hospital with food poisoning.

Should name and shame the restaurant too!

One thing that really grates, is that it's seen as poor form to complain about goods and services not up to standard in Thailand.

When I'm paying 800b for a dish in a restaurant and it comes to the table resembling a street food dish for 40b I get a little upset and want to complain. My other half, in contrast, would rather run a million miles away than actually complain about anything. This is Thainess they tell me. I try to level and suggest I'm doing the restaurant a favour. After all, they will lose customers fast unless they improve on certain elements of service/presentation/basic cooking. Apparently it's best practice to smile, pay the bill, say everything was great, leave a tip and just not return to said restaurant, ever.

Similarly, when I'm sat enjoying a quite drink and suddenly there's a street vendor in my ear, squeezing a rubber chicken that lights up and makes the sound of a drowning cat, I'm supposed to bow my head and say the immortal words 'mai ao kap', rather than try to explain that, in my mid 40s with no dependent kids, I don't really have a need for a rubber chicken that lights up and sounds like a tortured cat and perhaps said vendor should diversify into something middle aged men would actually consider purchasing. And no, not a stocking with a print on it that I can wear on my forearm and pretend it's a tattoo, nor a plastic dog turd. That is also seen a bad practice.

Good customer service appears to be offered by those who willingly stop playing candy crush or picking their nose or taking selfies to serve you without you requesting their presence from the outset. And when you receive what you ordered, that means you must tip heavily and simultaneously be overjoyed. As with the old saying, if you fake sincerity you've got it made.

Perfect! Just perfect, you summed it up 100%!

The Thais will allow themselves to be stepped on over and over again, they have a "Slave" mentality derived from a thousand years of a feudal system.

Archived