'Grand Canyon' of Chiang Mai to Become Water Park

webfact

Our Grand Canyon to Become Water Park
by CityNews

13615365_10153726229952551_5525590189104

CityNews – The ‘Grand Canyon’ of Chiang Mai in Nam Phrae Sub District has, for many years, been a somewhat well kept secret amongst many residents who go to the man-made quarry to swim and jump off the cliffs.

It is reported that the piece of land was carved of its land in order to be used to extend the airport runway many years ago, leaving this canyonesque formation popular with swimmers.

Initially popular with international school kids who would often be seen playing truant on a weekday or having a casual picnic on a weekend, the last few years has seen more and more visitors to its tempting cliffs, from which many have jumped.

Sadly there have been a handful of deaths due to drunk swimmers or weak swimmers, and the area is considered dangerous for those without strong swimming skills.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/grand-canyon-become-water-park/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2016-07-14

looks dangerous as hell. How many people have drowned there so far?

Have heard of a few, water is dangerous... to non swimmers ! it looks nice to me but i am an experienced waterman, they will probably ruin it by making a water park, Thais have a way of destroying natural beauty. look at the islands and beaches. I hope there is minimal "improvements".

I forget the type of stone quarry that was. Anyone recall? It's kind of crumbly red stone.

They ought to test the water for toxins in that water.

No way is green/blue water like that usually safe

I don't even notice many birds in the water there.

..kill joy.

• 2 weeks later...

Have heard of a few, water is dangerous... to non swimmers ! it looks nice to me but i am an experienced waterman, they will probably ruin it by making a water park, Thais have a way of destroying natural beauty. look at the islands and beaches. I hope there is minimal "improvements".
k

Thais' enjoy natural beauty as do some westerners'. The Thai businessmen ,usually of Chinese decent,typically trash the environment and natural beauties of the Kingdom in their quest for more money.

This is my observation since arriving in 1968. I hope this water park is not spoiled of it's beauty,and that it

is a success and enjoyed by many.

k

Thais' enjoy natural beauty as do some westerners'. The Thai businessmen ,usually of Chinese decent,typically trash the environment and natural beauties of the Kingdom in their quest for more money.

This is my observation since arriving in 1968. I hope this water park is not spoiled of it's beauty,and that it

is a success and enjoyed by many.

drbill,

I sent you a PM

It was a quarry. Tough to make it any uglier than that.

Lemonade from lemons in my book. Looks like it could be a lot of fun. I especially like the climbing wall, though I'm way too old to be using it.

Also, hard to believe the water could be much more toxic than the water in my apartment swimming pool...

Dive in ,come up covered in algae,who will pay for that.

regards Worgeordie

No algae there, the chemicals kill it before it grows.

I would suggest you have no idea a how much chemical would be required to neutralise that volume of water ,its not a swimming pool its a huge area.

Algae is a living organism which if it gets into your body, via mouth, can live in your body and create serious health problems.Water would have to be testeddaily as it changes due to climatic conditions

Its typical of this country to turn what was an unusual and stunning view into a money making venture,let alone the potential drownings which have happened already.

We can't call it "natural beauty" because its man made but it is unusual. Smacks of the monks keeping tigers in the temple grounds in Kanchanaburi and then turning the place into a zoo.

I can just see bus loads of Chinese,Koreans etc, most of who can't swim, flocking to this place after the word gets round via tour guides.

It's a disused quarry not a natural wonder. How can you ruin an exhausted quarry? It's a popular spot with tourists and visiting Thais and quite amazing that an old quarry can become "the Grand Canyon" and get so much fame. Quite impressive. To me though it always looks like an old quarry. The last time I visited there were a lot of what I would describe as young farang bikini babes diving in and sunbathing. Many of the young Thai males literally find it jaw dropping! I think it's the first time they have seen people wandering around in skimpy (by Thai standards) bikinis.

• 10 months later...
19 hours ago, Sunderland said:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/video/play/8838

Another Thai 'Grand Canyon' ... LMAO!

I'm sorry but these places bear absolutely no resemblance to the Grand Canyon. More like a valley or a small gorge at best, but certainly not the Grand Canyon of Asia. Who makes this rubbish up???

Bears no resemblance to chiang mai either.

http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/npco-calls-to-shut-down-grand-canyon-water-park-after-repairman-drowns/

On June 1st, The officers from the National Council for Peace and Order along with the Tourism Business Association visited the Grand Canyon Water Park to investigate the attraction after a repairman drowned after trying to fix one of the inflatables.

Archived