Thai electricians to require certification under new law

webfact

As our house was being finished built I was going around the outside with a metal retractable tape measure making sure all the lights on the walls were done correctly etc. As I touched one of the metal frames of the lights with the tape measure I got a real whack of a shock but luckily the tape just auto-retracted so it only lasted a fraction of a second. I got the electrician out and told him and said I wanted all the outside lights (about 40 of them) checking to ensure no more were 'live'. I wthen went of for lunch with my wife and returned 45 mins later to see the electrican moving around the walls with his 16 year old assistant. The assistant was climbing up on step ladders and leaning over and putting his hand on the casing of each light. I asked what they were doing and he said we are testing to see if the light cases are live! Both were immune to my logical argument of what may happen if indeed they are live.

I wish them every luck with their certification process. The next time I need major electrical work I will hire a retired sparky living in Phuket or even bring one out from the UK for two weeks.

I had to serve a five year apprenticeship from the age of sixteen to twenty one, go to an Oxford technical college one day a week and evening classes three nights a week after work. On my 21st birthday I got my electrical engineers indentures, a City and Guilds of London certificate AND my calling up papers for two years National Service in the Royal Air Force where I repaired radio and radar sets, I got a Certificate of Merit from the RAF Radio School. Two years in the RAF and never posted to a camp with a runway, the only planes I saw were chained down outside the main gate. Happy days! I think today everything is made too easy. Not complaining, I had a great life, worked all over the UK and Europe.

This proves the Thai are much smarter then Europeans.

In W-Europe electricians go to a special technical school for at least 4 years, Thai can do it in 4 days! clap2.gif

i've yet to see one with a meter that has come to my house.

My house sure will never see one again. After Somchai installed the cable for the kitchen-equipment (European kitchen) the whole fusebox burned out at night. It was the breaker for the kitchen, totally burned out.

Ultimate point:

- All very nice to licence electricians (and it should be that way)

- Are there any substantive laws about inspection and certification (and with the employee number of the certification inspector) before factory / shop / house, etc., can be occupied or used?

I re-wired my in-laws house, and replaced the supply side of the plumbing (there is no drainage side, it runs onto the ground) without any building code certification. FYI it ain't rocket science.

I also did all the electrical work in the new home I built in NSW, which was then checked and signed off by a certified electrician (mate). The building inspector knew immediately that I had done the work - it was far too neat.

And that doesn't matter. What you've done is illegal and should be pulled out and the electrician fined.

I seriously doubt an inspector would sign off on an installation knowing the work was carried out by an unregistered, unauthorised individual.

Go pull someone else's leg mate.

Settle down, no need to get your knickers in a knot. I am from the other side of the country and the same thing happened when I wired my garage, other than a random dig a hole and check the conduit and depth, comments were similar and got a compliment on the neatness and told not to do it again.

I am sorry if this upsets your theory on the authoritarian attitudes of inspectors but that is life.

In W-Europe electricians go to a special technical school for at least 4 years, Thai can do it in 4 days! clap2.gif

I wonder if a colour vision test is compulsory? It used to be embarrassing if one mixed up the red and green wire, but they changed the colour codes in many countries.

Not that there's much earthed/grounded here.

We should be happy if they used the right wire thickness, color is not that important, if it works it works so don't touch it.

Also in wires there's a lot of cheap quality in Thailand and maybe even copy copy brandname products.

In our area an electrician is a man on a motocycle with a big Bosch hammerdrill on the back.

In Europe the electricians drive mini-vans just like a Thai minister.

the basic rules of electric installation and understanding by the technicians is in many countries test in one or two days. and are certified.

Just as the thai say they want to do.

the question is more what do they test and how do they test and to which certification test is the thai compatible with. thee nwe understand what thety thai are testing and how te interpret .

the basic rules of electric installation and understanding by the technicians is in many countries test in one or two days. and are certified.

the question is more what do they test and how do they test and to which certification test is the thai compatible with. thee nwe understand what thety thai are testing and how te interpret .

No way!

During the 4 years the students in Europe have to pass many exams and build many electrical scheme's first. They only pass when it's perfect or won't pass to the next class.

And before they start working they have to be working as a student first for 6 months. During that period they learn the inns and outs from the real pro in practise.

No way!

During the 4 years the students in Europe have to pass many exams and build many electrical scheme's first. They only pass when it's perfect or won't pass to the next class.

And before they start working they have to be working as a student first for 6 months. During that period they learn the inns and outs from the real pro in practise.

"This proves the Thai are much smarter then Europeans."

Kidding - right?

Winnie

I re-wired my in-laws house, and replaced the supply side of the plumbing (there is no drainage side, it runs onto the ground) without any building code certification. FYI it ain't rocket science.

I also did all the electrical work in the new home I built in NSW, which was then checked and signed off by a certified electrician (mate). The building inspector knew immediately that I had done the work - it was far too neat.

And that doesn't matter. What you've done is illegal and should be pulled out and the electrician fined.

I seriously doubt an inspector would sign off on an installation knowing the work was carried out by an unregistered, unauthorised individual.

this does happen, as long as the wiring etc is checked and signed off by a licensed electrician the inspector will usually pass it. I worked in the aussie building industry for many years and have seen this happen a few times, mainly as the owners want it done a specific way(legal) and also to save on costs of a sparky but they do require a licensed one to make sure what they have done is all right. Very hard for an inspector to say who actually did the wiring, many times it is done by an apprentice who also is not licensed but again this is still legal as long as a licensed sparky supervises or checks it all after it is done to ensure it has been done right

Very true, I am an electrical and electronics engineer but am not qualified to certify house wiring etc.

However I have done several of my own houses in the UK and Holland and just got a qualified mate to sign off on them (they did checks as well). The inspector usually doesn't check much, may check the basic safety requirements but as long as it is officially signed off he is OK with it.

As you point out how else would apprentices learn their trade?

I did my house here also, as I wouldn't let anyone else. That didn't get signed off of course, no need!!!

I would be curious as to what they have to pass to be certified here, nothing like the west I am sure.

Not Thai bashing but most don't even understand earthing etc.

Wow an online diploma. This is the year 2016 is it not? Certifying electricians just now becoming an issue. Are plumbers next well skip them and move onto contractors.

this does happen, as long as the wiring etc is checked and signed off by a licensed electrician the inspector will usually pass it. I worked in the aussie building industry for many years and have seen this happen a few times, mainly as the owners want it done a specific way(legal) and also to save on costs of a sparky but they do require a licensed one to make sure what they have done is all right. Very hard for an inspector to say who actually did the wiring, many times it is done by an apprentice who also is not licensed but again this is still legal as long as a licensed sparky supervises or checks it all after it is done to ensure it has been done right

Very true, I am an electrical and electronics engineer but am not qualified to certify house wiring etc.

However I have done several of my own houses in the UK and Holland and just got a qualified mate to sign off on them (they did checks as well). The inspector usually doesn't check much, may check the basic safety requirements but as long as it is officially signed off he is OK with it.

As you point out how else would apprentices learn their trade?

I did my house here also, as I wouldn't let anyone else. That didn't get signed off of course, no need!!!

I would be curious as to what they have to pass to be certified here, nothing like the west I am sure.

Not Thai bashing but most don't even understand earthing etc.

I was a maintenance electrician in manufacturing there was normally only one person in the factory that could sign off any normal circuit wiring. We would just get on with it and someone would sign it off later even if it happened to be a contractor on site.

While i was away i had a 7kw shower fitted. As soon as i saw it i stated that it was dangerous and could cause a fire as the cabling was not sufficiently rated for the appliance.

The answer i got was he must know what hes doing because he came from home pro.

after i had taken a shower i told her to feel the cable at the safety switch placed outside the bathroom, 15ft from the shower

This switch has now burnt out twice in six months and the cable is very warm to the touch. It is obvious they have no idea and a shower is just a shower regardless of the current drawn ( on a plus note he did put in an earthing rod )

I know that if i do build a house i will do the wiring myself

i have meet three of her relatives with extensive burns due to being electrocuted

So Somchai who show up at the building site in the morning with a small screwdriver and cutter can't be an electrician anymorerolleyes.gif

Good luck certifying 40000 in a few months.

He has his own screwdriver???

In Oz you need a qualification to touch a domestic power point or switch, Somchai comes around with aq screwdriver and a wer tongue? Saints preserve us!! facepalm.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifwhistling.gifwai.gif

And yet, you can buy one of either at any hardware store. And they come with little coloured dots alongside each terminal, in case the silly electrician forgets which wire goes in which hole. I've even bought light switches with a wiring diagram for 2 switch operation included in the packaging.

To some people electricity is one of the great mysteries of life, others consider domestic wiring rather a simple business.

Archived