Phuket lifeguards warn of Portuguese man o’ war along west coast

webfact

Phuket lifeguards warn of Portuguese man o’ war along west coast
Eakkapop Thongtub

1468470641_1-org.jpg
Portuguese man o’ war have now been spotted at Naithon, Kamala and Surin beaches on Phuket's west coast. Photo: Phuket Lifeguard Services/Facebook

PHUKET: -- Phuket lifeguards have put out a warning to tourists to be aware of Portuguese man o’ war when entering the water on Phuket’s west coast beaches.

The Phuket Lifeguard Service yesterday (July 13) posted two pictures on its Facebook page side by side showing the siphonophore and Surin Beach along with a warning saying that there are an increasing number of Portuguese man o’ war spotted along Surin Beach.

It also warns that the tentacles of the Portuguese man o’ war contain venom, and that they should not be touched as the venom can cause severe pain, sometimes worse if someone has an allergic reaction to it.

The Phuket Lifeguard Club Chief Prathaiyuth Chuayuan told The Phuket News today (July 14) that on Monday (July 11), lifeguards at Naithon and Kamala beaches also spotted Portuguese man o’ war in the water.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-lifeguards-warn-of-portuguese-man-o-war-along-west-coast-58243.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-07-14

haha out of it, saw the picture and thought "That's a bluebottle!" then looked up what a portugese man o war looks like, and they're the same thing.

I had always thought that portugese man o wars were really really dangerous, but if they're just blue bottles then they aren't anywhere near as nasty as what I had thought (Although still definitely aren't nice, and I'd prefer to not swim if there are a lot of them).

haha out of it, saw the picture and thought "That's a bluebottle!" then looked up what a portugese man o war looks like, and they're the same thing.

I had always thought that portugese man o wars were really really dangerous, but if they're just blue bottles then they aren't anywhere near as nasty as what I had thought (Although still definitely aren't nice, and I'd prefer to not swim if there are a lot of them).

You have too much time on your hands, Mr Kiwi :)

True they will hurt but not kill you.

Now we have Box jellies currently around Pattaya, they are serious!

Not seen a warning yet.

True they will hurt but not kill you.

Now we have Box jellies currently around Pattaya, they are serious!

Not seen a warning yet.

They must be strong to survive in the sea around Pattaya!

Do you actually swim in that horrible water?

Archived