'Where's the Talking?' A guide to the language of Sunday League football

Bredbury Blue

'Where's the Talking?' A guide to the language of Sunday League football

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/football-cliches/2013/oct/31/talking-language-sunday-league-football

Absolutely loved reading this article, brought it all for me...school football, Sunday league pub football, works football. Read the Comments as well, some funny stuff.

Enjoyed that BB, there's a couple more could have been thrown in there like; "he's a mile off" "We're still in this" "let's keep it tight"

I played club football from the age of 5 to 35, never missed a season. The memories of so many matches as a kid and adult came flooding back. I'm 42 now, and i miss it dearly , as much as the football, it's the friendships and bond around the club, the sense of community and unity that was just as important as the football. I have friends that go back to the junior years and most of my closest friends i've met through club football. Looking forward to my son lacing up his boots for the first time, in the next few years. Cheers fella.

Took my kids along to the saturday morning football at soi lasalle for a few seasons and a few of the football camps here, surprisingly most of the sayings in the article were not being used here. My kids school has a football pitch but they use it mainly for the school marching band to practice on. Sadly my kids are unlikely to 'enjoy' the delights of waking up with a hangover on a Sunday morning with wicked weather outside and having to force yourself out of bed for a game at the local rec.

Enjoyed that BB, there's a couple more could have been thrown in there like; "he's a mile off" "We're still in this" "let's keep it tight"

I played club football from the age of 5 to 35, never missed a season. The memories of so many matches as a kid and adult came flooding back. I'm 42 now, and i miss it dearly , as much as the football, it's the friendships and bond around the club, the sense of community and unity that was just as important as the football. I have friends that go back to the junior years and most of my closest friends i've met through club football. Looking forward to my son lacing up his boots for the first time, in the next few years. Cheers fella.

Your 42 Bob ! crikey, you come across as a lot older than that tongue.png

If Bob's only 42 then he must have had a lot of worry over the years. i'll make him around mid fifties.

If Bob's only 42 then he must have had a lot of worry over the years. i'll make him around mid fifties.

Haha well I'll be over your way mid-September, if you fancy a pint and catch a match you can see for yourself ;)

Had a hard paper round?laugh.pngwhistling.gif

Haha well I'll be over your way mid-September, if you fancy a pint and catch a match you can see for yourself ;)

If you are buying I might drop by as well. :D

Haha well I'll be over your way mid-September, if you fancy a pint and catch a match you can see for yourself wink.png

If you are buying I might drop by as well. biggrin.png

If you make it the drinks are on me wink.png nb. that's smokes drinks only if any others decide to show up whistling.gif

Archived