Aussie bicyclist fined over reckless Doi Suthep ride

snoop1130

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an Australian living and running a Bicycle Tour business here in Thailand and riding and racing in this region for over a decade I think they should have thrown him out of the Country. What is it about people from so called 'developed' nations when they arrive here they regress. Human regression is rife here and I can tell you this Cyclists wouldn't not have been riding the day after if he had been caught in Australia doing stupid, disrespectful stuff like this.

I know, I'm going to get all the Police haters and Expats here who complain all the time that my comments are harsh. However, as an Expat for over a decade you do NOT disrespect the locals let alone post videos of your stupidity on YouTube.

For anyone who doesn't know what Strava is, it's an app used to track your riding, running etc performance. And for him to say 'Strava Got Me Arrested in Thailand' is just dumb. The guy is a moron and stunts like this makes it hard for everyone else. Phew!! this is the next generation of Australian...

Good to hear that you are running a Bicycle Tour Business that ddoes not allow people to behave in this manner. I am sure you have the apropriate work pemit for this and all your permits are in order. Hence you are not making any of those human transgressions and will have no complaint if the police investigate you. His riding was wrong..but not excessively dangerous. He deserved punishment for what he did and can continue with his disgustingly fit life. In Australia he would be riding. There is no arrestible offence here and it is unlikely that a court (and only the court) could ban him.

As an Australian living and running a Bicycle Tour business here in Thailand and riding and racing in this region for over a decade I think they should have thrown him out of the Country. What is it about people from so called 'developed' nations when they arrive here they regress. Human regression is rife here and I can tell you this Cyclists wouldn't not have been riding the day after if he had been caught in Australia doing stupid, disrespectful stuff like this.

I know, I'm going to get all the Police haters and Expats here who complain all the time that my comments are harsh. However, as an Expat for over a decade you do NOT disrespect the locals let alone post videos of your stupidity on YouTube.

For anyone who doesn't know what Strava is, it's an app used to track your riding, running etc performance. And for him to say 'Strava Got Me Arrested in Thailand' is just dumb. The guy is a moron and stunts like this makes it hard for everyone else. Phew!! this is the next generation of Australian...

Good to hear that you are running a Bicycle Tour Business that ddoes not allow people to behave in this manner. I am sure you have the apropriate work pemit for this and all your permits are in order. Hence you are not making any of those human transgressions and will have no complaint if the police investigate you. His riding was wrong..but not excessively dangerous. He deserved punishment for what he did and can continue with his disgustingly fit life. In Australia he would be riding. There is no arrestible offence here and it is unlikely that a court (and only the court) could ban him.

What a gonad... asking about work permit and shit, are you the online police ...or wannabe mod perhaps ?

On a bike note ....why do bicyclists think they can ride and block traffic ..do you imbeciles really think a car or bike should slow to your speed ? You want to use the road, register your bike, get a licence for it and insurance and then stay in the lane over by the gutter.

Most young athletes who get cought up in the moment do dumb reakless stuff, he was probably off his face on the adrenaline, and a mega dose of caffeine and painkillers, would of been high as a kite and not giving a chit about anything

It's about time - before someone got killed....

With the songtou's taking 2 lanes & the buses cutting the lanes + the cyclists crisscrossing on their fun ride down coupled with the motor scooters chugging uphill trying to keep away from the diesel fumes, at times the drive up/down isn't worth the trouble.....

Recipe for disaster.....

But sometimes smooth as silk....

The songthaews chugging up the mountain with the enormous diesel clouds behind them are by far my biggest complaint. Just go early in the morning, around 8.00-8.30 AM and there's hardly any traffic and it's still relatively cool. Going down the mountain is not for the fainthearted, but so much fun on a good mountainbike, you go so fast and the look on the faces of car drivers when I overtake them on my bike is priceless.

Let his tyres down.

You tube pay these morons if they get sufficient hits so

all publicity is good publicity, every time you click on one

of these videos, the count goes up, you have just contributed

to his pay cheque, don't watch these clips, they are posted

as click bait clips, you have just been suckered.

What a complete utter idiots they are! Taking corners against traffic just for fun, what if a bus full of children came downhill at the same spot?

I don't believe a cyclist is any danger to a bus full of children, no matter what he does.

So how old are you now mate? You can't imagine a busdriver coming around the corner to see those idiots riding right against him? And what if that driver gets in panick and just gives a turn to the wheel out of shock and trying to avoid them???

You must be a vegan as well i guess...totally off the planet.

What a complete utter idiots they are! Taking corners against traffic just for fun, what if a bus full of children came downhill at the same spot?

I don't believe a cyclist is any danger to a bus full of children, no matter what he does.

Cause and effect not your long suit, MissA. You don't think the bus driver would instinctively swerve to miss the bike?

Sam the Vegan is a dick-head!

Exactly! And if he only put his own life in danger (like those guys who climb abandoned skyscrapers) i wouldn't care much but these idiots bring all traffic on the mountain in life-danger.

Worst of all is he gives all farang a bad name in Thailand. Soon we won't be allowed to bike there anymore because of lunatics like them.

I've seen many aussies misbehaving in Thailand, they just get pissed and very wild and show no respect for other tourists. One drove into my leg with his rented motocy 4 metres from the door of my bungalow in a resort in Chaweng.

Another one (a Sheila) bumped her surfboard into my back in a resort on Bali, she said i had to keep on walking while i stopped to look at a flower.

Anyway, i hope they kick him and his friends out of Thailand to never come back. Vegans have become a dangerous sekt.

Yes, a very careless stupid rider. Bad-ass for all of 13 mins, thinks he quick, right. Myself and my boys rode the STP : Seattle to Portland 200s like miles in one day. My time 12 hours and 13 minutes. RAMROD Ride around Mt. Rainer one day 165 miles with a 11,000 foot climb from sea level . Cheekie little skinny guyS like him wasted on the side of the road 1/2 through these rides out of legs.

Want to show off, ride with people who can spin, not showing off in front of Thai's riding 30k and think their LANCE ARMSTRONG.

Wow, riding 1,000 ft (300m) above Camp Muir is certainly showing off your bicycle riding skills to the only possible audience, the alpineers going for the summit of Mt. Rainier walking with crampons up the glacier. Do you use the same spiked tires as on those hill climb motorcycles?

Buy yes, two of, on average, my least favorite groups of people, avid vegans and rabid bicyclists combined into one unwholesome Aussie.

I believe the Doi Suthep ride is what the vegan cyclists do at around 7am before they have breakfast. A longer ride is to Doi Inthanon, cycle up and then back down and return to CM. A 220km ride which seems pretty impressive to me.

If he continues to bicycle on the dangerous roads in Thailand he will end up dead sooner than later. He should return back to his mum in Melbourne asap , or he will end up in the statistics.

Funny how the thais in the youtube comments fail to realize the millions of thais who do similiar things on motorbikes, cars and even cement trucks.

And also complaining about littering, dont know wether to laugh or cry : )

It makes me sad to think of all the people who died in world wars for this little cockroach to live.

Yeah, that was why they fought, not over oil or territory, but for Sam the vegan.

Sadly, even in your glorious frenzy of righteous indignation you couldn't come up with anything better.

What's the last thing you did that was worthy of any comment?

Haha, I sense a butt hurt vegan.

Quite the contrary, you really aren't that bright are you?

Childish gang of attention seekers. Two wheels, one brain cell, after 15 minutes of fame.

If he or one of his mates had been hit and injured, possibly killed, by a Thai driver......Whoooo friging Thai knockers out in force again.

And what about potential evasive action of the other driver on a mountain roads?

Mull it over. It should all become clear. Eventually.

What a jerk....how about other people's safety??

Go,HOME!!

"We don't want them", we have these turds everywhere in here, I think it's because the Australian government have "mamil" riders in their ranks that want to be protected EG: they just past a law that requires that a registered vehicle that the road was built for has to give 1.5 metre clearance from them or be fined. It doesn't matter that they behave like this wakker.

If there are no cameras,run them off the road.

Racing cyclist the world over are idiots, in Holland they cause a lot of trouble too.

But i do respect the guys stamina and performance, just stupid to break traffic law like that.

I am a serious cyclist - so are you saying that I am an idiot too? And on what basis did you appoint yourself as judge and jury of all cyclists worldwide?

It may interest you to know that cycling is the single fastest growing sport globally (bar none) and that literally millions of people (from young children right up to octogenarians) derive great pleasure from cycling and are in the main considerate, careful and respectful to others on the roads etc. Not to mention the fact that it is arguably the best form of aerobic exercise you can do (with the possible exception of swimming) is environmentally friendly and relatively inexpensive once you get your bike etc.

You mention Holland has being especially bad - I would like to see you provide evidence for this, as Holland is known world-wide has being especially ''cycling-friendly'' and the Dutch government has led the world in providing facilities, equipment and paths etc to encourage the sport.

I agree, morons such as 'Aussie vegan cyclist' create a really bad image for my beloved sport - but thankfully, idiots like him are in the minority. (which is probably the reason why his exploits have caused so much attention!) Yet, at this very moment, nearly 200 supremely fit and utterly dedicated professional cyclists are slogging their way around France, across mountains and arid plains in searing heat and torrential rainstorms with virtually little or no coverage of this on any of the Thai TV channels.

Perhaps you need to get out a bit more and be more open-minded in your opinions. All sports have their 'bad elements' - but to dismiss everyone involved in cycling based on the behavior of just one, is almost as idiotic as 'Aussie vegan cyclist' himself!

I knew professional bike riders back in the states, national champions, world record holders, they would not have let this guy ride with them to dangerous. What he saved a few feet by going into the on coming traffic lane from a riding stand point this is nuts and so unsafe it boogles the mind. The only death would have been his, which he didn't seem to care about.

Racing cyclist the world over are idiots, in Holland they cause a lot of trouble too.

But i do respect the guys stamina and performance, just stupid to break traffic law like that.

I am a serious cyclist - so are you saying that I am an idiot too? And on what basis did you appoint yourself as judge and jury of all cyclists worldwide?

It may interest you to know that cycling is the single fastest growing sport globally (bar none) and that literally millions of people (from young children right up to octogenarians) derive great pleasure from cycling and are in the main considerate, careful and respectful to others on the roads etc. Not to mention the fact that it is arguably the best form of aerobic exercise you can do (with the possible exception of swimming) is environmentally friendly and relatively inexpensive once you get your bike etc.

You mention Holland has being especially bad - I would like to see you provide evidence for this, as Holland is known world-wide has being especially ''cycling-friendly'' and the Dutch government has led the world in providing facilities, equipment and paths etc to encourage the sport.

I agree, morons such as 'Aussie vegan cyclist' create a really bad image for my beloved sport - but thankfully, idiots like him are in the minority. (which is probably the reason why his exploits have caused so much attention!) Yet, at this very moment, nearly 200 supremely fit and utterly dedicated professional cyclists are slogging their way around France, across mountains and arid plains in searing heat and torrential rainstorms with virtually little or no coverage of this on any of the Thai TV channels.

Perhaps you need to get out a bit more and be more open-minded in your opinions. All sports have their 'bad elements' - but to dismiss everyone involved in cycling based on the behavior of just one, is almost as idiotic as 'Aussie vegan cyclist' himself!

You must be joking, in Holland the racing cyclists are hated by the majority of people because they misbehave a lot when in groups. They don't follow trafficrules and think they are more than other roadusers.

Also the biketracks are not build for racing groups, they are for normal cyclists who go to school or so.

They act like those vegan idiots who also think they shouldn't follow any roadrule and just drive against traffic for the camera. Those guys are even more ridiculous because there's nothing to win.

Archived